MmmmmmBuddy

How'd you play?

Don't you just love it when the part of the game you struggle with changes weekly?

Yesterday I got off the tee pretty well - I only sprayed one ball OB, the rest were all playable, which is great, but I started pulling my irons badly yesterday, like 20-30 yards pulled with dead straight ball flight.

Chipping was pretty sketchy and it was the worst putting day so far this season. The greens were quite a bit faster last night and I was playing too much break and/or pounding the ball through the break. I ended up with three 3-putts as a result.

Pace of play was brutal last night, too. We were badgering the first group pretty badly and they were oblivious - they tried to claim they were waiting the whole time but we saw them lose touch with the group ahead of them on the 4th hole.

Still, it was fun time.

• Like 4

wind was HOWLING yesterday in the burbs during league play.... some holes at least a 2 club wind.... short par 3's I had no clue what to do... choke down, way down, on a 5i for a 120 yard shot?  Flight a wedge?

Even with all that my partner and I managed -5 for 9 holes for a nice 30 and opened an 8 stroke lead after the second week of play.

Had 5 birdies in a row.... it was a good day. 😎

• Like 7

Our scramble team took second at -10 at the National Sporting Goods Assc conference. Finished -8 on the back to charge from fifth to second. We played at Chateau Elan Woodlands Course in Braselton, GA

IMG_2809.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 6

On my Monday 9-hole walking round with the old guys, I was hitting ball pretty well and putting decent; a good combination for me.  I doubled #1 and bogeyed #2... not a good start but then settled down.  Birdied #3, the #1 hcp hole, lipped out a birdie on #4, parred #5, another birdie on #6, par #7, bogey #8, and par #9 for a +2 round of 39.

Headed back to the car and got a call inviting me to play on Tuesday at another club in town... a "high stakes" game of Wolf.  Other than driving the ball well, it was a miserable round.  I don't play the course enough to know its subtleties.  I was the Wolf 5 times.  

First time was on the par 5 #3 and I managed a par to push with the other 3 players.  

The second time was on the par 4 #7 where we were all just short of the green and I bladed my chip (grass is so much different than at my course)... bogey, my fault for loss.  

The third time was on the par 4 #11.  Good drive, second shot just short of the green, chip to 4 feet and par.  One guy had a 10 foot pin-high right-to-left putt from the fringe for birdie.  DANG him!!!  At least I didn't give the hole away.

The fourth time was on the par 4 #15.  Another good drive with 110y to the hole on a severe slope back-to-front green.  Put my shot 12 feet below the hole, slight right-to-left break.  Made birdie.  One guy hit his second shot to the back fringe, putting downhill left -to-right... made a 15 foot birdie.  Dang him!!!  But at least I didn't lose the hole.

The last two holes are reserved for the player who is down in the game.  I was tied with another guy, so we flipped to see who would Wolf #17 and #18.  I got #17.  Pin in the middle with bunkers left and right and narrow opening in front.  My ball landed on the front (slight mishit), and a severe slope took the ball 20 feet off the green to a collection area.  I chipped to about 8 feet, made par.  One guy had a chance at birdie from pin high left in the fringe... missed, so I pushed.  

After all that I lost 3 quarters.  So, I got to play a course that I don't normally play with a cart and with some friends for 75 cents.  The highlight for me was watching the guy that called me to play... he shot 75; one under his age.  One of the other guys owns a local construction business and has a corporate membership at this course.  He has a normal group of guys who he plays Wolf with all the time... I'm a fill-in when someone is unavailable.  

• Like 6

After a bout with the shanks, it was good to post an average 9-hole round after work today of +3. I was playing really well and I was -1 after 5 holes, until I hit a mango tree on my approach on #6. There's a huge mango tree about 25 yards to the front-right part of the green, and after blocking my 4i off the tee I left myself out of position. Since hitting a cut 8i isn't in my arsenal I tried to just hit it straight with my normal baby draw, but ended up blocking my 8i straight into the mango tree. Had to bump a 7i under it and that went to the back of the green, then 3 putted from like 60 feet for double :(.  Hit an 8i off the tee from 149 to about 11' on the next par 3 (#7) but lipped the putt because it had too much pace. Chunked a 6i from the fairway on #8 and then flew the green and couldn't get up and down for bogey and took another double. Ripped a nice drive into the wind on #9 about 280 and then toe-shanked a 5i from 185. Still hit the green in regulation because it's a short par 5 and was able to walk away with par. So, for about 5 holes I looked like I knew how to play golf.

image.png.e78567f2ad1cc3bba8edc666cb385e8b.png

• Like 6

45-39 for an 84. Missed a hole in one by about 3 inches on a 189 yard par 3. Irons stunk, Wilson D7 hybrid has become my favorite club in the bag and I threw a Wilson putter in the mix for the first time and had my best putting day of the year.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Wedgie said:

Missed a hole in one by about 3 inches on a 189 yard par 3. Irons stunk

Hmmm....

Hmmm....

Didn’t hit an iron on that shot.

Just now, Wedgie said:

Didn’t hit an iron on that shot.

Now it makes sense. ha. 

• Like 1

Played an 18-hole Par 3 (Par 55) that I really like and have talked about in here before; there's actually one 105-yd Par 4 dogleg right on the back 9 but otherwise the holes vary from 60 to 100 yards, so it's great wedge practice! A few holes have a little bit of elevation change .. generally up to a raised green .. but the major factor to contend with is the wind - this place is at an ocean beach so it's generally windy, plus as you loop around on each 9 the wind is coming at you from different directions.

On the Front 9 I was missing a lot of greens short, though still on-line to my target, but just nervous about hitting it too long, I guess, as there's not much room behind the green on each hole (where you don't want to run into the nasty scrub brush and poison ivy and ticks!). And then I also missed a lot of up & downs with the attempted chip coming up short and not adjusting for the slow greens .. so made a lot of bogeys, but nothing worse, and then a birdie and a par on #8 and #9. 

Back 9 started off with the same kind of bogey but then I started making a few more pars mixed in with the bogeys. Get to the finishing #18 which is 100 yards even and the most exposed to the wind - which was coming in strong from not quite head-on but a bit from the right. Of course I try to hit my tee shot too hard and it was hooking left anyway but the wind grabbed it and pushed it way left OB into the stuff where you don't want to go look for it....

Re-tee and try to keep it low and right of the green .. which I almost did .. until the ball got near the front of the green and an extra strong gust lifted it up and pushed it left, but only by the width of the green so it ended up just off the left-front edge of the green. Was able to get a putter on it and get that first one close enough to sink the second for the only double of the day.

Ended the round at +11 which I was pretty happy with.

One of my goals this season is to work towards a "Shots to Finish" average of 3.50; ie. from a designated "scoring zone" and in - eg. 150 yds - can I hole out sometimes in 3 or do I need 4? In this case, on a Par 3 course all shots except the one tee shot on the one Par 4 count, so 55 + 11 - 1 = 65, divided by 18 = 3.61

Overall felt like I'd made solid contact with the wedges on almost every shot, and got the ball going in the intended direction - so on the whole a good confidence booster!

• Like 7

Played in a scramble yesterday and my team fared ok.  Didn't really get warmed up into the round until about 6 holes in which hurt us.  

Drove the ball decently, but was either pulling or pushing the ball.  The ball flight was pretty straight which I'm pleased with.  If I was playing my ball the entire time, there weren't many that would have gotten me in trouble.  Irons were just not dialed in like I am used to and neither were wedges.  Hit some good putts, but just didn't make them for the team. 

Overall a pretty mediocre day.  Not much to be happy about, but at least I'm not searching for something either.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Shot an 80 with a triple on 17. Grrrr....

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, Wedgie said:

Shot an 80 with a triple on 17. Grrrr....

Hah...my career best round was with a triple at #17!   Different course, probably, but still!  

• Like 5

Played this morning at Pebble Creek. Callaway Rogue in the bag surrounded by Cobra F8 Fairways and Hogan Ptx Irons. Shot a 43/39:82 with 4 Birdies.......had 3 in a row, holes 9, 10 & 11. Had 2 penalties (holes 3 & 16). Started with a Par and finished with a Par. Only had 27 putts with my new Tommy Armour. However, I also had a triple and two doubles......

file-B33B13C6-6820-4DCB-98BC-8CB507912344-20346-0000121BA8A4F8A9.jpg

file-AEAC418E-34F9-400E-958E-281EE1B59B2C-20346-0000121BA830BE1A.jpg

file-E2BEF539-223D-4512-B355-EC269BE77916-20346-0000121BA74761B8.jpg

file-8B73266F-EFEB-406C-B26F-B38515DED3BA-20346-0000121BA68E8528.jpg

file-CF999395-39B6-4AAC-B736-7CFF6CA688D2-20346-0000121BA48A2BB7.jpg

• Like 8

10 hours ago, fozcycle said:

Played this morning at Pebble Creek. Callaway Rogue in the bag surrounded by Cobra F8 Fairways and Hogan Ptx Irons. Shot a 43/39:82 with 4 Birdies.......had 3 in a row, holes 9, 10 & 11. Had 2 penalties (holes 3 & 16). Started with a Par and finished with a Par. Only had 27 putts with my new Tommy Armour. However, I also had a triple and two doubles......

file-B33B13C6-6820-4DCB-98BC-8CB507912344-20346-0000121BA8A4F8A9.jpg

file-AEAC418E-34F9-400E-958E-281EE1B59B2C-20346-0000121BA830BE1A.jpg

file-E2BEF539-223D-4512-B355-EC269BE77916-20346-0000121BA74761B8.jpg

file-8B73266F-EFEB-406C-B26F-B38515DED3BA-20346-0000121BA68E8528.jpg

file-CF999395-39B6-4AAC-B736-7CFF6CA688D2-20346-0000121BA48A2BB7.jpg

You're living dangerously going over the water on 14!

• Like 2

I played yesterday and all I can say was it was an interesting round.

First, I started my weight training regimen again and my entire posterior chain was extremely tight and sore from squats and stiff leg deadlifts. On the range I just couldn’t get loose.

All I can say is that I empathize with what Tiger went through with his back troubles. Holy cow Batman. All I could do was make punch swing shots the entire round.

#1: I played the first hole to the left with my drive because I was just too stiff. Missed the green left, hit my chip a little heavy and two-putted for bogey. +1

#2: Next hole is a short or 4 with water left and a pond driver distance away on the right. I hit 6 iron to the middle of the fairway and came up just short on my approach. Good chip and a one putt par save. +1

#3: The third is a long par 5 (number one handicap). I hit a good punch driver, laid up to 111yds, hit a low driving gap wedge, then 3 putted for bogey... greens were much slower than what I’ve been practicing on and I just couldn’t force myself to hit it hard enough on the first putt. +2

#4: Next hole was a par 3 (blind tee shot, can’t see the bottom of the flag). I hit a good shot and almost had a hole in one! Tap in birdie from 1” away. +1

#5: Next hole is a dog leg par 4. Missed left off the tee with driver (again, just couldn’t swing properly), missed the green left on the fringe, good chip and even better putt to save par. +1

#6. Next hole is another par 4. Took iron off the tee to take trouble out of play, but it is was into the wind and I didn’t take enough club. Had 180 to the well guarded green. Couldn’t get it there, chipped long, two putt bogey. +2

#7: Driver went left off the tee (seeing a consistent pattern lol). Blocked out by some trees from going right at the flag, had 100yds and hit my 58* pin high but left of green. Another chip and one-putt to save par. +2

#8: Next hole is a long par 3. Hit a punch 6 iron just short of the green, good pitch, one putt for the par save. +2

#9: 9th hole is a long down hill par 5 with trees both right and left. Hit a 5 iron off the tee, 6iron layup short of a creek, then went to help my father-in-law look for his ball in the woods. When we came back to hit my ball it was gone. Some jerk must’ve picket it up while we were looking, because I drove up to my ball to confirm it was good. Father-in-law let me drop a ball with no penalty. Hit it left of the green and long, made an excellent pitch down the hill for a tap in par save.

Finished the front 9 at +2 (very happy considering the tight back).

#10: Downwind par 4 bunkers on left side, houses OB right. Hit a good drive in the middle of the fairway. Approach shot on in two but a long way from the holes. Way short on my first putt, led to my 2nd 3-putt of the day. Ugh.... +3

#11: long par 4, hit driver left. 140 to the flag, hit PW to about 20ft. Just missed the birdie putt. Made par. +3

#12: Short par 3 with a ton of wind apparently. I missed the green short by 20yds on a well struck ball. Hit my pitch too far and miss-read the break on the par putt. Bogey.+4

#13: Par 5, hit tee shot to the right (whaaaaat), had to hit a slice punch 4 iron around the trees to layup. Hit a great pitch shot and missed the birdie putt (just came up 1” short, the speed again). Par +4

#14: Short par 4, hit a 4 iron to 145yds. Tried to take a full swing with the PW but my back seized on the downswing and it pulled left into the green side bunker. Got it out but missed the par putt. Bogey. +5

#15: 185yd par 3, bunkers left and right, just played safe with a punch 6iron. Pitched up but missed another par save putt. Bogey +6

#16: Par 5, driver brings water into play. I hit a 5 iron to the fairway, 6 iron layup, 8iron punch shot to the front of the green, birdie putt hit the hole but didn’t drop, par. +6

#17: Short par 3, only 136 yds. I hit a punch 7 iron that missed left into the green side bunker. Had a great out to 1 foot. Par save. +6

#18: Par 4 dogleg left. Bunkers on right side of fairway in range. Hit driver anyway because I didn’t think it would get there with my punch swing. Of course it still got there lol. Ball was in a footprint in the bunker (rake your stuff guys, come one). Got it out but still had 60yds to the flag. Hit a 58* pitch shot hole high about 6 ft away. Massive hooking putt (would have ideally been below the hole). Barely missed it. Bogey +7

Total score of 78, with 31 putts.

Really happy with how I fought through the round and scrambled phenomenally well on the front nine. Playing golf with a tight back is no joke. It affects EVERYTHING!!!

• Like 7

Walnut Creek Golf Preserve - steady 20 mph (gusting to 30) breeze with the mowers still set at US Open qualifier height (greens and rough). Started at the tips but scratched that idea after 3 holes into the teeth. It was borderline unplayable and I’m calling the absence of 3-putts on my card a bonafide miracle (thanks Bettinardi Armlock). Less miraculous was me pulling my right bicep trying to dig a 4-iron out of 4 inch rough. Golf is hard.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

Walnut Creek Golf Preserve - steady 20 mph (gusting to 30) breeze with the mowers still set at US Open qualifier height (greens and rough). Started at the tips but scratched that idea after 3 holes into the teeth. It was borderline unplayable and I’m calling the absence of 3-putts on my card a bonafide miracle (thanks Bettinardi Armlock). Less miraculous was me pulling my right bicep trying to dig a 4-iron out of 4 inch rough. Golf is hard.

Yes indeed. Wind changes everything.

• Like 2

Nice little 75 today with a lot more good than bad. Not the score I wanted but a good round to build off off.

Still not sure why I thought it was a good idea to replace my Titleist irons. I hit them great today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 6

Last Thursday, sub again. This time I earned a good dose of humility. Won only one hole, halved for others. Lost the remainder. Only thing working was my putter. Made three putts over 20 feet each.
Back to the practice net.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 4