MmmmmmBuddy

How'd you play?

Final day of the club championship and I came in with a disappointing 3 days.  Shot a total of +7 over my handicap.  For the most part, I hit my irons solid and my putting was on par with my normal game.  Driving was an issue as I've developed a really nasty over the top swing that I can't seem to get rid of (that will be my next goal for practice as I have several good training drills to do).  On the plus side, I have an outside chance for a skin on one of my stroke holes.  It may or may not be good for a gross skin, but it has a better than average chance for a net skin.  $20/day buy in and yesterday's skins paid $330 each (only 2 paid out).  Not sure of 1st day and today is still in progress.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Sluggo42 said:

best part is that my mistakes were still solid hits.

Never can be angry about that.

• Like 2

I broke my rule.  I live in the desert with 7 inches of rain a year, so my rule is never go out to play in the rain.  I can always wait until it stops.  Well, we had a T-Storm at 2am last night and it was still raining at our 7:30am tee time.  My wife and I got there at 7am and the couple we were to play with weren't there.  I was hoping they wouldn't show up, so we could maybe play later.  Then here they came and wanted to play, and I didn't want to be a wuss!!

In addition to the storm, the course was irrigated all night so it would be Cart Path Only, but we don't have cart paths except from just in front go the greens to the next tees.  Very soggy!  They should have not let out carts until afternoon.  

I should not have played until afternoon!!!  A triple, two doubles, and a bunch of bogeys for a smooth 91.  I have GOT to stick to my rules!!  I believe this is the first time in 50 years that I was cold enough to wear a jacket in the month of August. 

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

Ran out to play 9 with my wife. Played terrible including a quad on a par 4 hole that I really like. Then came #9, a 150 yd. par 3. Launched a beautiful tee shot that landed 3 ft. from the hole and made birdie.

Those are the holes that keep you coming back.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 8

On the good side, I got to play golf with @Wedgie & @GolfSpy Stroker today for the first time, and both spies were incredible to play with. They both hit some amazing shots, the banter was great and they're both swell guys.

On the bad side... well, let's just say my net was 86 and leave it at that. I had too many penalties today, the sand was not my friend, and I chunked 3 chips in a row on the way to a 10 on a par 5. My game wasn't there, but I was glad to be out on the course with those two. 

• Like 8
  • Love 1

Pretty poorly....98 😢

Maiden voyage round with the 919 Forged was disappointing.  Not really due to the irons.   I played a course I hadn't played in quite a while and some of the forced carries off the tee were a bit much for me, so I didn't hit a lot of irons.  Ended up with a lot of hybrids and FW for the 2nd shot.  In hindsight I should have been up a tee box.  Also  I didn't have my normal putter so putting was less than stellar. 

A lot of excuses.  Plain and simple just didn't hit it well.  

• Like 8
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, edingc said:

- 39/41 = 80 (+8) 😃

- 3/15 FIR 🤮 

- 6/18 GIR (2 birdies)

- 33 Putts (2 3-putts, 11 2-putts, 5 1-putts) 😃

- 2:45 Round Time 😃

Set a new personal best this morning and was oh so close to breaking 80. 

Stan Utley is awesome. Picked up his book last week, spent a few days working on his chipping technique and am loving the results. Very easy, stress free putting day for me because of how close I was leaving my chips and approaches.

I could not get the driver going on the back nine, which really hurt my chances of breaking 80. Although I only hit three fairways today, my misses on the front were a lot better than on the back, and my distance was too. Not a lot of scoring chances on the back at all, really was fighting to save par or bogey most holes.

I did have several putts come up just short or burn an edge. Those are going to start dropping soon, I know it.

I hope you do it quicker than I did. I think I shot 80 like 20+ times before I finally eclipsed it. Good work!

12 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Pretty poorly....98 😢

Maiden voyage round with the 919 Forged was disappointing.  Not really due to the irons.   I played a course I hadn't played in quite a while and some of the forced carries off the tee were a bit much for me, so I didn't hit a lot of irons.  Ended up with a lot of hybrids and FW for the 2nd shot.  In hindsight I should have been up a tee box.  Also  I didn't have my normal putter so putting was less than stellar. 

I'm still jealous of them!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Tale of two different rounds for me this weekend. Hit it really well yesterday and didn’t make a putt and got pretty much any bad break I could have gotten. Had to take an unplayable in the second hole when it hit my ball three paces through the fairway into an old what I guess I can call a divot. Played this morning in the first group off and cruised to an easy 73 off the back tees. Put the Flash SZ back in my bag and just killed it off the tee. Missed on fairway today and that was by design for an angle I to the green. Putting finally came around and loving the new flat stick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 9

Pretty poorly....98

First sentence scared me a bit. It took me a longer than usual to get used to the Mizzie’s not sure why but I think it’s the shaft difference.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 3

Played in my league's two-day event at Bay Hill. Saturday's 92 was pretty solid, but missed a bunch of putts. Sunday's 85 had a few more missed shots, but more putts made, and a season-best 39 on the front 9. Altogether it was enough to wind up winning the B-flight. 

• Like 6

As my club has been swampy, I Traveled 40 minutes north to Brooksville Country Club yesterday for a groupon fourssome, purchased a couple months ago. The course was dry, which was terrific. Shot a 43/42:85 with 2 birdies. Putting was horrific but palatable. This course has 4 holes on the back that were carved out of a quarry, making this the Disneyland golf of Florida. #11 was named one of the top 10 most fun holes to play in the US a few years back. There are 2 Par 4’s and 2 Par 3’s. The Par 4’s are risk/reward type holes(I birdied the first one!) and the Par 3’s are elevation challenged holes. Lotta fun!

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 7

I played in this unique outing this weekend that raised money for Breast Cancer.  We played on teams, but used our own score and played the shots out, however we played from the Ladies Tees.

I'm not sure if it was the mindset that we had to use my other team members score for 9 holes, but I played very loose and played some of the best golf I ever have.  

I had 2 eagles, 6 birdies, and 3 ugly bogeys, but altogether it was for a 64 (7 under).  I missed 3 other birdie chances as well, 2 from 15 feet and one from 7 feet.  I wasn't keeping tabs, but think I only had 24 putts or so for the day and was on fire with the flat stick.

It would be my best round, but since we were playing Ladies Tees, I'm not sure it can be counted as such.  The rating from those tees are 69 so it would be more like 5 under par, which would tie my best round.

Anyways, a great round for me and all for a good cause.  Hopefully I can continue this momentum when I move back to the regular tees.

• Like 9

A tale of 2 nines... 46/38... not sure why it always takes me so long to figure things out... this seems to happen a lot to me. I think I'm a bit of a mental case....haha

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Broke my shaft on the driver and got it replaced. Played Sunday and drove the ball well until I got somewhat tired. Was first off the tees Sunday but my partner was slow. 3:10 minutes for 2 golfers. I could have finished in 2:15 but it is what it is.

Ended up shooting a 91 blowing several 5-10 footers and in general having a really tough putting day where I couldn't get anything to go where I wanted. Other than a few lost drives, I was pretty happy with the way I was hitting the ball.

Our league is interesting, my partner quit and another replaced him. Since then, we are 3 and 0 and running away with the 2nd half season. It's always nice to play well, but honestly it feels like teams are blowing up and I'm just able to get bogey/par and walk away. Less I'm earning it and more they're handing it to me.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Rickp said:

First sentence scared me a bit. It took me a longer than usual to get used to the Mizzie’s not sure why but I think it’s the shaft difference.

Yeah, I don't think I can blame the shafts, I' had these before in the JPX900 Hot Metals and they were fine.   I think it was a stinky swing day.  Except for a few drives. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Played a familiar course that had some redesign/layout changes using holes from the other course on Saturday with the old crew. 

First time swinging a club in 3 weeks and it showed. Irons were a guess most of the day. Driver was better than I figured and short game was like the irons. 

Been a strange year on the course and in general with me and golf. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I had a goal of 71 at a local course, but made a bogey on 17 and shot 72. 😐

I flat out duffed a chip along the green and missed the long par. Still a good round, but my driver has been amazing the last couple of months and has been leaving me with relatively short shots into holes. I give all credit to Super Speed training HA.

• Like 3

Played the executive course this weekend as I was short on time. The course is practically a goat range at all times, with barely discernible fairways, and greens about as true as shag carpet. Still, it's a nice shakeup from the other courses that places extra emphasis on GIR. It's a 9-hole par 30 course that I looped twice for 18-holes. Played the first 9 at +4 and the second 9 at +5.

Hit the ball pretty well for the most part - especially the second time through. I noticed how effortlessly I pounded driver on #7 (the only hole where it comes out of the bag) and made a conscious decision to use a similar tempo and action for all swings the second time around. I gained nearly a full club in distance while producing the same or eerily similar trajectories!

Short game was mostly good and though my stats will argue, I'd say I putted pretty well. I used 39 putts for the 18, but considering how poor the greens are (shaggy, ball marks everywhere, dead spots, areas that should be marked as ground under repair) I'll take it. I tried my best not to adjust to the greens and putt with a similar pace to all the other greens in the area. Inevitably, I left several putts short. The putter stroke and the lines I picked where typically good though so I call it a win.

• Like 3

Yeah, I don't think I can blame the shafts, I' had these before in the JPX900 Hot Metals and they were fine.   I think it was a stinky swing day.  Except for a few drives. 

I know about “stinky” swing days

• Love 1
  • Sad 1