MmmmmmBuddy

How'd you play?

Our Sponsors

6 hours ago, artful_golfer said:

My husband seems to have no trouble separating how different people play. He can have a horrible round and still be encouraging and enjoy mine . . . he can also have a brilliant round and still encourage my bad one.

I've learned to be a pretty happy player and have laugh at my goofy shots. The only times I get truly frustrated is when 1) I'm part of a team that is depending on me and can't seem to do my part and 2) someone I'm playing with gets mad and ruins the atmosphere for everyone. When it's me, I've learned to give myself a pep talk; I may not play much better but I can still enjoy that I get to play this game and in these surroundings. If it's another player's attitude that is ruining it for everyone, I sometimes gently remind them that we are simply not good enough to get mad so please let me enjoy the day - that usually does it. Sometimes to break the tension it helps to turn up the music, twirl my driver and dance around the cart.

... Awesome post, and it made me go back and edit my earlier comments as I wrote them literally in response to playing poorly. In general I am always very happy on the golf course, even when not playing well. Having played QB in my youth I am a natural leader and am always supportive of my playing partners, never letting my personal inner frustration effect my attitude in general or my partners day. I am not internally happy when playing poorly but you would never know playing with me. 

• Like 5
  • Love 2

Driver:   Cobra Speedzone Xtreme 9* ... Tensei Pro Orange 60r
Fw wood: Cobra Speedzone 14.5* ... Atmos TS Blue 75s
Utility:   TaylorMade RBZ Tour Hy ... Matrix Altus 85 hy
Irons:    4-Gw Titleist T100-S ... Kuro Kage 105 Tini s-flex
              4-pw TaylorMade P760 ... Recoil Prototype 95 r-flex
Wedges:  SM6 52* F Grind /SM7D & SM8M 58* ... Recoil 110s
Putter:  Newport 2.5 at 33"
Ball:  TaylorMade TP5x

1st round in over a week. Sick and heavy rains kept me away. Played 9 and hit all the fairways but only 3 greens. Hitting fairways wasnt pretty believe me. Never found the center of face but once on those so I left myself long clubs in thanks to lacking 40 yard off the tee and heavy rains taking away the roll. It is nice being aggressive to the stick though especially with short iron in hand. 

• Like 3

DRIVER: Titleist 905R S 10.5

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha XS

Irons- Titleist 716 AP1 S 1/2 over 2 degrees upright

Vokey SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

Tried a new course, The Federal Club, this afternoon and the weather was amazing. Only had time for front 9, though - rated a 9 HDCP.

- 40 (+4)

- 3/7 FIR

- 2/9 GIR

- 13 putts (4 2-putts, 5 1-putt, and 1 chip-in for a bird on #9!)

Most importantly, though, is that I brought my 6yr old daughter along for the first time and she had a blast! Let her hit in the fairway and chip around the green and she stayed interested for 6 of 9 holes...lost her a bit to a coloring book for 3 holes, but I consider it a win overall. She told me she wants to go back again, so we have a future golfer on our hands!

Regarding the course, it was in good shape with decently fast greens given the dry conditions we've had lately in central VA. Also, first time with my new Ping wedges, so I think I could have shot even better now that I know the front 9 and have a better handle on my wedge game. Looking forward to trying it again soon. 

Edited by Tarheelvolvo
I can't count...edited putts after looking back at app. Putter was pretty hot, though!
  • Like 6
  • Love 1

In my :ping-small: Hoofer:

:titelist-small: 975D 10.5*

:ping-small:  Eye 2 Persimmon Woods (3/5)

:wilson_staff_small:  D7 4-GW, KBS 105

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth 54.12 SS & 58.10 SS

:ping-small:  Zing 2 LW - 60*

:ping-small:  Anser 2

57 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Awesome post, and it made me go back and edit my earlier comments as I wrote them literally in response to playing poorly. In general I am always very happy on the golf course, even when not playing well. Having played QB in my youth I am a natural leader and am always supportive of my playing partners, never letting my personal inner frustration effect my attitude in general or my partners day. I am not internally happy when playing poorly but you would never know playing with me. 

But you are an actor... you are not supposed to show your personal inner frustrations when "on stage."  I tend to be "what you see is what I am."  Very difficult for me to react differently than I feel.  However, I'm working on it.  

It was beautiful weather this afternoon, and my wife and I decided to walk 9 holes.  Since we were not together riding in a cart like usual, I had more time to reflect on shots and get past them before interacting again as we got closer to the green.  Those few minutes seemed to make a big difference.  Maybe I can carry that feeling into our rounds this weekend when we ride.  Play happy.

• Like 3
  • Love 2

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

54 minutes ago, chisag said:

Great addition. I hope you don't feel I was being critical of your original post because I didn't intend to. I thought I was just adding my thoughts to the conversation.

@downlowkey gave me a wonderful golf head book "Extraordinary Golf - The Art of the Possible" by Fred Shoemaker. It helped me change my perspective on the game and few other things in life. Several times I have reread parts of the book when I need to get grounded again.

• Like 3

:cobra-small: King Cobra F8 driver

:ping-small: Serene: # wood, 5 & 5 hybrid irons

:taylormade-small: r7 Draw, Flex L: 4 - 9 irons, PW

:cleveland-small: RTX-3: 52/10 wedge and 56/11 wedge

:edel-golf-1: E-2 Torque custom fit putter

:bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS golf ball

:ShotScope:  V3

80 today.  Sad part is that it was a mixed round of good and bad.  Could have been much higher or could have been much lower easily enough .... let me explain.....I had 5 birdies and still shot 8 over par.  Missed 2 short slider birdie putts (one of those putts slid 5 feet away and I missed the come back putt, one of the birdies was 2 inches from holing out from 165 yards and only had a total of 2 pars for the day.  Yes, bunches of bogeys and a double on 9 and a double on 18.  So, mixed feelings on the round.  Very frustrating!

• Like 6

Driver: :ping-small: G400 Max 9 degree Alta CB55 Stiff shaft 

FW: :taylormade-small:M4 - 3HL (16.5 degrees) Atmos shaft R

Hybrids: :taylormade-small: M6 --- 3 (19 degrees), 4 (22 degrees), and 5 (25 degrees) Atmos shaft R

Irons: :callaway-small:Apex CF19 6-W KBS Tour Graphite  70g shafts R

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX-2 60*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7S

Ball: :Snell: MTB-X

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

74. So I had my second best round of my life. Shot +2. I was even going into the 17th hole. I went bogie bogie. How is it that all I can think about is the last two holes. If you would have told me before the round I would have shot +2 I would have been jacked. Oh well. Still had an absolute blast! It was the last hole that really got to me. Easy hole just choked off the tee. Felt like Tin Cup only I didn’t hole it out. 

• Like 7

9 hours ago, Nick Agostinelli said:

74. So I had my second best round of my life. Shot +2. I was even going into the 17th hole. I went bogie bogie. How is it that all I can think about is the last two holes. If you would have told me before the round I would have shot +2 I would have been jacked. Oh well. Still had an absolute blast! It was the last hole that really got to me. Easy hole just choked off the tee. Felt like Tin Cup only I didn’t hole it out. 

Nice round.  Ive had 17 and 18 on my course kill my round many times. 

• Sad 1

DRIVER: Titleist 905R S 10.5

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha XS

Irons- Titleist 716 AP1 S 1/2 over 2 degrees upright

Vokey SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

11 hours ago, artful_golfer said:

Great addition. I hope you don't feel I was being critical of your original post because I didn't intend to. I thought I was just adding my thoughts to the conversation.

@downlowkey gave me a wonderful golf head book "Extraordinary Golf - The Art of the Possible" by Fred Shoemaker. It helped me change my perspective on the game and few other things in life. Several times I have reread parts of the book when I need to get grounded again.

... Not at all! I just originally responded to the first post about how I feel inside when I play. I really didn't consider how that unhappiness displays itself or could effect others I am playing with. Your post just made me look at it from the outside in not the inside out. The only thing I hate on a golf course is someone being constantly negative and having that vibe effect everyone else. Nobody cares that you "normally play much better" when you are screaming, throwing clubs or just being angry and negative. Fwiw I am never bothered by bad shots, just frustrated when swinging poorly when I know I am capable of much better and as I said that only last 2 seconds and then I let it go. I think there is a fine line between being self critical in a positive way spurring you on to do better and being critical in a negative way which only makes things worse. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

11 hours ago, Kenny B said:

But you are an actor... you are not supposed to show your personal inner frustrations when "on stage."  I tend to be "what you see is what I am."  Very difficult for me to react differently than I feel.  However, I'm working on it.  

It was beautiful weather this afternoon, and my wife and I decided to walk 9 holes.  Since we were not together riding in a cart like usual, I had more time to reflect on shots and get past them before interacting again as we got closer to the green.  Those few minutes seemed to make a big difference.  Maybe I can carry that feeling into our rounds this weekend when we ride.  Play happy.

... Actually Kenny actors are supposed to indulge their emotions and use them to create something worth watching. It was playing QB as a kid that taught me to keep an even keel. But I am a very positive person so fortunately it comes easy for me. I hope you can find that balance between being briefly upset about poor play but then be positive about the next shot. I know for some it isn't all that easy so best of luck!

• Like 4

23 hours ago, chisag said:

*Edit. I am not happy at all with my game. This has zero to do with my enjoyment of the day, the course or the people I am playing with. I get frustrated for about 2 seconds then it is gone. I rarely, if ever, say or do anything when playing poorly, I am just internally frustrated. Life is too short and there are too many tragic and sad things happening in the world to be unhappy on a golf course because I am playing poorly

Great clarification, and I hate to use the word "assume" but I'd assumed 😉 that's the perspective you had in mind on your original post..... Yeah, the idea - to me - is not simply standing out there grinning ear to ear like a mindless, slobbering fool but acknowledging the negative thoughts and emotions that do arise and then moving on and actively replacing negativity with positive visualizations and good focus on the next shot.... 

Or: play happy = less tension = fewer errors / misses.

• Like 4

WITB of an "aspiring" 😉 play-ah ...

Tour Edge Exotics EXS 3W/HL (17*; Tensei CK Blue)
Tour Edge Exotics EXS 7W (Tensei CK Blue)

Callaway Big Bertha 4H (Recoil ZTR)
Tour Edge HL4 #4 iron-wood (UST Mamiya)
Callaway Big Bertha CF19 6i (Recoil ZTR) / Apex CF16 7i-PW (Recoil ES 760)
Hogan Equalizer 50/54/58 black (Recoil ES 760 black SmacWrap)
Evnroll ER5 (33", 385g)

...all in a Datrek Hybrid bag on a Bag Boy Quad XL push cart.

75 today- birdied the hardest hole and some iron shots were outstanding (for me). Chipping let me down.

The new putter though I'm very pleased with, scared a lot of putts round the hole and sunk a few beauties.

The 'potential' new driver was also very nice, long and nice.

• Like 6

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

No play today as I was driving From Tampa to Hilton Head Island. Teeing it up at Palmetto Hall Plantation Sunday morning where I shot an 82 last year.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 3

Driver: Cobra King F8 w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft Fairways:  Cobra King F8 3W(14.5*) & 5W(18.5*) w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft Hybrids: Tour Edge CBX 119 4H(22*)  with Project X Evenflo regular shaft Irons: Wilson Staff D7 5 - PW w/Recoil 460 regular shafts Wedges: Cobra King F8 GW(50*) SW(54*) LW(58*) Putter: 33" Tommy Armour Impact No. 3 mallet putter Bag: Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag(Peacoat Blue).

Won a scramble today. My back healed up just enough so I could play and we did alright. -14. We parred a par three and par 4 on the front, and a par 4 and par 5 on the back. All with 10-15 ft putts that we just couldn’t get to go in! Birdied everything else with tight wedges and tight approaches, except for one par 3 where we made a long putt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 7

Showed up decked out in rain gear for this morning's round, only to find the course closed 😭. We had a storm come through at about 3 AM, light rain at the moment, and they are talking more storms this afternoon, but I was going to fit in a round in the few hour window I had! Oh well. 

So:

0/0 = 0 (+0) 🤣

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 3

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 10.0 (Last Updated July 7, 2020)

2020 MGS #COBRACONNECT CHALLENGE PARTICIPANT - Check out the pre-chatter thread!

#CC4 WITB (Cobra Black/Yellow Ultralight Cart Bag)

Driver: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme (9°, set to 7.5°), 44.5", Aldila Rogue Silver 60 (110 MSI) Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
3W: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone (15°, set to 13.5°), -3/4" SHORT, Aldila Rogue Silver 70 (110 MSI) Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
17° Hybrid: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone, -1/2" SHORT, UST Recoil 480 ESX F4, Lamkin Sonar Connect
4-GW: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone, 2° Flat, -1/2" SHORT, KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
54°, 58°: :cobra-small: Cobra KING Black, 3° Flat, -1/2" SHORT (54°), -1/4" SHORT (58°), KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff (soft-stepped), Lamkin Sonar Connect
Putter: :taylormade-small: TaylorMade Spider X, 33", Golf Pride Tour Only Red Star
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow (Also: :srixon-small: Srixon Z-Star XV Tour Yellow)
Tracked By: :Arccos: Cobra Connect powered by Arccos

No play today as I was driving From Tampa to Hilton Head Island. Teeing it up at Palmetto Hall Plantation Sunday morning where I shot an 82 last year.

Maybe 80?

• Like 1

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Ping G410 Plus

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead

Irons; Ping G410 5-SW & Mizno 919 Hot Metal 5-SW

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Bay Creek Nicklaus Course. 94 (45/49, 91 ESC), 29% FIR, 17% GIR and 33 putts. Steady trying to find rock bottom .

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

Ping G410 LST 9º | Project X HZRDUS Smoke Green 65 6.5
Ping G410 3W 14.5º | VA Composites Drago 75 X
Ping G410 3H 18º | KBS Tour Hybrid Proto 95 X
Ping G410 4H 22º | KBS Tour Hybrid Proto 95 X
Srixon Z585/Z785 5-PW | Modus3 Tour 125 S
Cleveland RTX ZipCore 50 Mid, 54 Mid
, 60 Full | DG Spinner Tour Issue
Evnroll ER5 | BGT Stability Tour
TaylorMade TP5