MmmmmmBuddy

How'd you play?

Our Sponsors

38 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

Yep!  That's the one we played.  Made par!!

The second time I played it, I was literally an inch away from eagle.  Almost holed out the 100 yard approach shot.

• Like 3

Played Big Rock at Indian Springs again today... shot 82.  I like this course but the front nine and I don't seem to agree with each other.  It was better than yesterday at +6 vs. a +10 yesterday.  The back nine wasn't as good as yesterday, but I will still take a +4 that way I'm hitting the ball.  My slice from 20 years ago is back.  I think I'm trying to swing harder because of the elevation, or lack thereof.  I have to get this figured out.  I'm playing it, but that leads to even more yards lost.

Hole #2 got me again...  See if you can spot my ball by the white rock left of the creek.  My wife hit a much better shot than i did!!!!

IMG_1220.jpeg.15aa76127eaf8e23357aafbca7e69678.jpeg

In keeping with the Big Rock motif, the tee boxes are...

IMG_1221.jpeg.177f0db51f6c2149b9855ac5b535e021.jpeg

and the hole signs are...

IMG_1224.jpeg.241eb74d9d88a2e4c9eaf3009cfff1af.jpeg

From the forward tees on hole #9... the condos/apts on the left are right on the practice putting green and the pitching green with a bunker.  If you lived there, you could practice everyday in your backyard and never have to take care of it!!!

IMG_1222.jpeg.fb53db4f1e0b358ed770202c3952524e.jpeg

After the round food and drinks on the patio bar... best beer rings I have ever had. Smoked Hot Wings were pretty good too. Not much in the way of beer on tap that I like; nothing dark, got a Four Peaks Brewing Kilt Lifter.

IMG_1223.jpeg.9f3f53fb3e0c9bb49bbe016e29dd013c.jpeg

• Like 7

Played Big Rock at Indian Springs again today... shot 82.  I like this course but the front nine and I don't seem to agree with each other.  It was better than yesterday at +6 vs. a +10 yesterday.  The back nine wasn't as good as yesterday, but I will still take a +4 that way I'm hitting the ball.  My slice from 20 years ago is back.  I think I'm trying to swing harder because of the elevation, or lack thereof.  I have to get this figured out.  I'm playing it, but that leads to even more yards lost.
Hole #2 got me again...  See if you can spot my ball by the white rock left of the creek.  My wife hit a much better shot than i did!!!!
From the forward tees on hole #9... the condos/apts on the left are right on the practice putting green and the pitching green with a bunker.  If you lived there, you could practice everyday in your backyard and never have to take care of it!!!

After the round food and drinks on the patio bar... best beer rings I have ever had. Smoked Hot Wings were pretty good too. Not much in the way of beer on tap that I like; nothing dark, got a Four Peaks Brewing Kilt Lifter.

That’s not very healthy for a Senior

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Haha 2

That’s not very healthy for a Senior

... Now you know you can walk the course! Add a nice push cart and you get to play golf, it's cheaper and you get some great exercise! 
The thought has been on my mind for a while. I've read a few posts on here about you all playing with carts and it's definitely something I'm thinking about this year. I really had a great time doing it, and I definitely need the exercise.

Sent from my SM-N975U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 5

3 hours ago, sirchunksalot said:

The thought has been on my mind for a while. I've read a few posts on here about you all playing with carts and it's definitely something I'm thinking about this year. I really had a great time doing it, and I definitely need the exercise.

One of the best golf investments I've ever made! 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, yungkory said:

One of the best golf investments I've ever made! 

Me too. It's a pity I can't get it on the plane when I fly to Florida!

• Like 5

10 hours ago, sirchunksalot said:

... Good luck moving forward! I am old and lucky enough to have grown ups in an era when we had no distractions as kids. Cartoons Sat morning only. No computers, no VCR's, no electronic games. So we played all day every day. Lots of running and playing. And all sports too. Football, baseball and basketball through high school. So it was easy to stay in shape by just playing. To be honest, I have always hated working out or exercising for the sake of exercising. As I got older more and more activities became too much, like basketball and then tennis. But once I found golf, I knew it would provide exercise for the rest of my life.

... Brisk walking is just sooooo good for anyone but especially seniors. I can walk in a forest preserve or hiking trail but find it much more rewarding to do it while playing golf because I don't even notice I am doing it. Depending on the course you get in 5-8 miles every time you play. The benefits while playing a game I love is a win-win. 

• Like 5

Well, I curbed the doubles today, so I had 4 bogies, and 2 birdies, for a 73. Great ball striking day. Barely missed a few birdie putts, but did make a few good par saving putts, so it’s all evened out I guess... but I really did strive to resist playing the hero shots which typically turn into those doubles...

• Like 6

On 1/22/2020 at 7:50 PM, Rickp said:

That’s not very healthy for a Senior emoji12.png

What's wrong with chicken, onions and celery?  😋

• Like 4

On 1/22/2020 at 11:42 PM, sirchunksalot said:

Walking is great! I really like my CaddyTek. I did not do a great job of eating well this past summer, but all of the miles I did walking the course really helped keep my weight in check. 

• Like 4

What's wrong with chicken, onions and celery?  

Ummm, nothing, guess it’s health food

• Like 1

On Thursday my wife and I played golf with her cousin on her mother's side of the family.  My wife riding in her cart...

IMG_1227.jpeg.4e406e12b01adf318cf6e5eeb3ed285b.jpeg

She and her husband own a house on the 17th hole of the Desert Horizons CC course designed by Ted Robinson in 1979.  It's located right next door to the Indian Wells courses.  The edge of their house is barely visible on the right side of this pic over looking the pond fronting the 17th green...

IMG_1229.jpeg.89833b4fcc132b3bf8ad3f076bebec90.jpeg

The approach to the par 5 14th...

IMG_1228.jpeg.27b4d543febd90bc2354a3eff8e1d3ab.jpeg

Second shot to the par 4 #18...

IMG_1230.jpeg.4b27ace202e083166e7af4e05e748489.jpeg

It was a fun course to play.  I didn't play all that well, +5 on the front nine, and +6 through 7 holes on the back nine; one double..  The last two holes were just a little too dark for me to strike the ball very well, so I picked up.  The pics of 17 and 18 are much brighter than it actually was.  Most likely I won't get to play here again, but I could get used to the course very easily.

• Like 9

Not so good...Diver and irons all going left(too much shoulder) yielding a 44/46:90

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Since today is the last dry day for the next few days, I decided to head out to one of the local courses and play nine. The first thing I noticed when I pulled up was two cars in the parking lot. The next thing was the fact that there were no carts sitting in front of the clubhouse. I saw once guy walking, so didn't think anything about it. I walk to the door and the sign says open, so I start to go in and this guy opens the door for me. Turns out, the course was closed due to the cooler weather and the rain lately. The guy inside was a course maintenance worker and he told me I could play free, if I walked. Ok!

Let's put this in perspective, I'm not a small guy and have never walked the course before. I really enjoyed it, but think I'm going to feel it tomorrow. I made the mistake of wearing thermals and a jacket with it being in the low 40's and burnt up.

Played good, not great shooting 47 hitting 4/7 fairways and zero greens. My putter saved my round with just 17 total putts and no 3 putts.

So how do you feel today?

#CobraCONNECT using the new F8’s from Cobra

• Like 2

So how do you feel today?

#CobraCONNECT using the new F8’s from Cobra

As much as I hate to admit it, sore. I work in automotive assembly and am on my feet all day, but the walking carrying a bag of clubs is a different beast.

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 3

On 1/24/2020 at 7:24 AM, edingc said:

Walking is great! I really like my CaddyTek. I did not do a great job of eating well this past summer, but all of the miles I did walking the course really helped keep my weight in check. 

I wish more courses allowed walking as I prefer it over riding whenever it's an option.  We're considering relocating to Sun City Grand and, while having 4 championship 18 hole courses on the property to play is appealing, not being able to walk the courses (at least during peak season) falls in the minus column.  In addition to the health aspects of walking, I find the tempo of my game to be better.

• Like 6

wheels off today, driver not behaving and fatted and thinned 4 chips to a disappointing 78- it was cold and windy with lots of mud- I'll use that as my excuse today lol

• Like 8
  • Sad 1

I wish more courses allowed walking as I prefer it over riding whenever it's an option.  We're considering relocating to Sun City Grand and, while having 4 championship 18 hole courses on the property to play is appealing, not being able to walk the courses (at least during peak season) falls in the minus column.  In addition to the health aspects of walking, I find the tempo of my game to be better.

I think you’ll be happier walking.
I walked and carried my bag for years and then when I got into my 60’s rotated between carrying and using a “buggy”. When we moved to FL 8 years ago my wife was in the golf cart and I walked and carried until one day I twisted my knee and that was the end. Now I ride and sometimes will walk between shots but that’s it. I do believe my concentration was better when I walked.

• Like 7