28 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Good for you.  I'm not sure why we haven't cancelled todays round.  My wife thinks I'm nuts (nuttin new here).  Wind blew like hell last night and those aren't rain clouds rolling in, it's airborne sand. Today I'm going to wish I had a Ollie Stinger in my game.  I'm pretty sure one of the par 3's will play at least two clubs down 😮.  

A few years ago while in Palm Springs, one of those sand storms rolled in during the pro tournament (AMEX now).  Knocked tents down and they canceled play for the day.  Meanwhile, out at Cimarron GC my wife and were playing and on hole #14, a par 3 listed as 175y from the middle tees with a huge bunker in front, playing directly into the wind, I hit driver and was short of the bunker by 20 yards!!  On hole #16 playing downwind my wife was on the tee box and just before she started her backswing, a huge tumbleweed rolled up her back and over her head.   We did finish the round though.

• Like 6

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

• Replies 17.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

After six years of playing, I got my first hole in one yesterday! Pretty crazy feeling to see the ball drop from the tee box. It was a slight downhill par 3 from 150 yards, got it done with a 9 iron!

🚨 PERSONAL BEST ALERT! 🚨 - 36/39 = 75 (+3) 😍 - 6/15 FIR - 11/18 GIR (2 birdies) - 30 Putts (12 2-putts, 6 1-putts) Cold, dreary morning and the course was pretty empty. I really took my t

+4 75 (40/35) 6/13 FiR 8/18 GiR 28 putts First ace today! #17, 121y PW that dunked into the cup. Best part was the group in front was part of our group, and waved us on since we we

Posted Images

On 2/1/2020 at 5:48 PM, mr.hicksta said:

From my round yesterday at Navy Marine with[mention=72400]yungkory[/mention]. My best round of the year for sure, and while there’s still plenty to clean up I’m happy with the round. The grind continues!

IMG_0938.thumb.JPG.9b41848c50b2c1e4ca06732e338ca7cf.JPG

How you liking DECADE?

• Like 5

:taylormade-small:             SIM 9.5* (GD XC 6X) 

:taylormade-small:             SIM 15* (GD DI 7X) 

:taylormade-small:             3 DHY (GD DI HY8X)

:srixon-small:                    ZX7 4-PW (KBS C Taper S)

:titelist-small:                     Vokey SM8 49 08 F ( KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                     Vokey SM8 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                     Vokey SM8 59 04 L  (KBS 610)

:scotty-cameron-1:                Special Select SquareBack 2 33"

:titelist-small:                     ProV1

Twitter                     @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

6 hours ago, Kenny B said:

A few years ago while in Palm Springs, one of those sand storms rolled in during the pro tournament (AMEX now).  Knocked tents down and they canceled play for the day.  Meanwhile, out at Cimarron GC my wife and were playing and on hole #14, a par 3 listed as 175y from the middle tees with a huge bunker in front, playing directly into the wind, I hit driver and was short of the bunker by 20 yards!!  On hole #16 playing downwind my wife was on the tee box and just before she started her backswing, a huge tumbleweed rolled up her back and over her head.   We did finish the round though.

Meh...what wind.  I shot a 38/43 with 3 consecutive birdies on 6, 7, and 8.  #6 (par 5) was an eagle try from 8 ft. It was actually kind of fun trying to gage the wind (16-20 mph) on several of the par 3's Two were directly into the wind and the roughly 80 ft elevation, #16 almost straight downwind.  Temp kept dropping all round as the wind switched to from the north but the heavy air started clearing out the dust - which was quite bad when we started the round. Not our normal attire for this time of year.

#18 tee

1032476896_frank_billLB1.jpg.e6c2fa180549ef4c6c69bd89b4303152.jpg

#11 tee. Par 5, elevated (~80 ft) 3 tier green

1512413372_mick_franklb.jpg.62caac7b42e356344f6763ed495177bb.jpg

• Like 8

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver | Official 2019 MGS Tester

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-UW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:ping-small: B61 Putter

1 minute ago, fixyurdivot said:

Meh...what wind.  I shot a 38/43 with 3 consecutive birdies on 6, 7, and 8.  #6 (par 5) was an eagle try from 8 ft. It was actually kind of fun trying to gage the wind (16-20 mph) on several of the par 3's Two were directly into the wind and the roughly 80 ft elevation, #16 almost straight downwind.  Temp kept dropping all round as the wind switched to from the north but the heavy air started clearing out the dust - which was quite bad when we started the round. Not our normal attire for this time of year.

#18 tee

1032476896_frank_billLB1.jpg.e6c2fa180549ef4c6c69bd89b4303152.jpg

#11 tee. Par 5, elevated (~80 ft) 3 tier green

1512413372_mick_franklb.jpg.62caac7b42e356344f6763ed495177bb.jpg

Great round!!  Nice!

I played nine holes with my Monday walking group of old guys.  42º and sunny which was just fine walking; I stayed warm with my hands in the push cart mitt.  I usually have a bogey or a double by the 4th hole,  but managed to par each hole until #5... missed the 15 foot par putt!  But just like the pros, I got a bounce back birdie on #6 with a right-to-left 4 footer.  After making an 8 foot left-to-right breaking par putt on #7, I was still even going into the par 3 #8 playing 170y into the wind.   Came up short and a poor chip left me with a long par putt and a bogey.  Another bogey on #9 gave me a +2 score of 39.  Very happy with that after that awful wind this weekend.

• Like 7

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Cold and windy as heck today, jumped around the track due to pods of slow players so no score keeping. Just worked on making good contact.

its amazing how much a hard wind moves a ball...

• Like 8

:callaway-small: MavriK Sub Zero 9* on EvenFlow RipTide 6.0 50g

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:cobra-small: F8 5/6 wood on Aldila NxT GEN MLT R

:Hogan: Combo iron set -8,9,per Icon 5,6,7 PtxPro 4-UiHi on Recoil 780 ES f4 Stiff shafts (best clubs ever)

:benhogan-small: Equalizer 50°, 54°, 60° wedges on Recoil 780 f4

:EVNROLL: ER3 34”

:titelist-small: ProV1x

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 shoes

45’ Tuesday morning, no wind! Played one of the toughest Exec in TV. Shot 2 over, 8 pars, 1 double. 7 of 9 gir. Everything felt good.
Played the Mizzies irons again.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 8

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Titleist TSi2, Kuro Kage 50 gr R2

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous Vista Pro R2

Irons; Ping G710 6-GW, Recoil 460 R2

Putter; Waaay too many to list

82 yesterday with one OB when I caught mostly ball out of a greenside sandtrap.  Fairly unhappy with overall putting for the day, having 3 putted twice (33 putts for the round) but the ball striking was better than the last few times out.  But, MAN!  Was it cold!  It was supposed to warm up into the upper 40's, but never did and dropped to the lower 40s with a wind chill feel of about 38.   Played as a 5some in a net skins game.  I birdied the first hole for a skin, but failed to get anthing after that.  Big winner was the higher handicapper who, because of age, played one tee forward of the rest of us...go figure.  

• Like 8

Driver: :ping-small: G400 Max 9 degree set to +1, Aldila Extreme Green 55 gram R shaft 

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M4 3W (16.5*) Hybrids: :taylormade-small: M6 3,4, & 5 -- stock R shafts.

Irons: :callaway-small:Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW KBS and SW bent to 52 Tour Graphite  70g shafts R

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX-2 56*  Stock shaft.

Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7S

Ball: :Snell: MTB-X

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

Got down to Florida for an extended weekend getaway last month .. actually got my wife to take a few days off from work; first time in almost ever .. and we got to play three days in a row. Part of the trip was to see one of my cousins and his kids; he lives in the Palm Beach area and is a member at PGA National - tho because of his work and travel he rarely plays. But we were able to get him out for 9 holes on Saturday and Sunday and he took us out on The Squire. One of the other courses there was being set up for the Honda Classic. 

First day played .. mostly .. really well (didn't keep score); a lotta good tee shots but I managed to screw up a lotta the second shots, but then short game was pretty solid and I managed to get up and down or literally just miss getting up and down several times. Second day didn't play as well and managed to find a lot of the water that I totally avoided the first day, so lost several of my fun Stars & Stripes Truvis. But it was great to see my cuz and catch up and spend some fun time together.

Monday, on the recommendation of my Goftec coach, we went to Abacoa. What a NICE facility! Really friendly and helpful staff; nice pro shop; nice practice areas. The course is one of those "challenging but playable" layouts, and playing from the Senior tees and using my 3W (driver didn't go on this trip) I think I ended up with a 92 or 93 -- with 4 (maybe 5?) Pars (whoohoo!) and 6 Doubles (maybe 1 Triple), the rest Bogeys. And that was with several muffed shots from the (Bermuda?) rough and a *LOT* of 3-putts (booo...) on very contoured and what felt to me like super-fast greens. Sheesh I dunno how you FLA guys play down there!!!

• Like 9

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
..Callaway Epic Speed 4W (Project X Cypher)
..Tour Edge Exotics EXS 7W (Tensei CK Blue)
..Callaway Super Hybrid 23 (PX Catalyst) and Big Bertha 19 5H (Recoil ZTR)
..PXG 0211 6i-GW (Mitsubishi MMT) 
..Cleveland CBX2 54 and CBX 60 (both Rotex graphite)
..Evnroll ER5 (33", 385g, P2 Reflex Tour)
..all in a Datrek bag on a Bag Boy Quad XL push an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart.

Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator

Got down to Florida for an extended weekend getaway last month .. actually got my wife to take a few days off from work; first time in almost ever .. and we got to play three days in a row. Part of the trip was to see one of my cousins and his kids; he lives in the Palm Beach area and is a member at PGA National - tho because of his work and travel he rarely plays. But we were able to get him out for 9 holes on Saturday and Sunday and he took us out on The Squire. One of the other courses there was being set up for the Honda Classic. 
First day played .. mostly .. really well (didn't keep score); a lotta good tee shots but I managed to screw up a lotta the second shots, but then short game was pretty solid and I managed to get up and down or literally just miss getting up and down several times. Second day didn't play as well and managed to find a lot of the water that I totally avoided the first day, so lost several of my fun Stars & Stripes Truvis. But it was great to see my cuz and catch up and spend some fun time together.
Monday, on the recommendation of my Goftec coach, we went to Abacoa. What a NICE facility! Really friendly and helpful staff; nice pro shop; nice practice areas. The course is one of those "challenging but playable" layouts, and playing from the Senior tees and using my 3W (driver didn't go on this trip) I think I ended up with a 92 or 93 -- with 4 (maybe 5?) Pars (whoohoo!) and 6 Doubles (maybe 1 Triple), the rest Bogeys. And that was with several muffed shots from the (Bermuda?) rough and a *LOT* of 3-putts on very contoured and what felt to me like super-fast greens (booo...). Sheesh I dunno how you FLA guys play down there!!!

Because I can play much better when there’s not 3’ snow on the ground and 10’. Easy choice for us.[emoji106]
BTW, I hate Bermuda [emoji16]

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Rick

Left Hand, 

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

Monday, on the recommendation of my Goftec coach, we went to Abacoa. What a NICE facility! Really friendly and helpful staff; nice pro shop; nice practice areas. The course is one of those "challenging but playable" layouts, and playing from the Senior tees and using my 3W (driver didn't go on this trip) I think I ended up with a 92 or 93 -- with 4 (maybe 5?) Pars (whoohoo!) and 6 Doubles (maybe 1 Triple), the rest Bogeys. And that was with several muffed shots from the (Bermuda?) rough and a *LOT* of 3-putts on very contoured and what felt to me like super-fast greens (booo...). Sheesh I dunno how you FLA guys play down there!!!

Because I can play much better when there’s not 3’ snow on the ground and 10’. Easy choice for us.[emoji106]
BTW, I hate Bermuda [emoji16]

• Like 1

Rick

Left Hand, 

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

On 1/22/2020 at 11:42 PM, sirchunksalot said:

The thought has been on my mind for a while. I've read a few posts on here about you all playing with carts and it's definitely something I'm thinking about this year. I really had a great time doing it, and I definitely need the exercise.

Go for it!!! Like the golf sage @chisag said .. and, of course, excepting those who are just physically unable .. I feel that walking is the way the game should be / is best played.

FYI.. I have a Bag Boy Quad XL that I am really happy with! Look around and go into a store to check out different carts.

• Like 7

..all in a Datrek bag on a Bag Boy Quad XL push an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart.

Yesterday I got a call to play Wolf at the another course in town today.  I've played there several times with this group, but I only get called when they are short a player.  Hey!  It's free golf with a cart... unless you lose quarters on the holes.  

Got up this morning and it's 45º with a light drizzle.  I hate playing in the rain, but at least there was only a slight breeze.  I started off with 4 straight bogeys, but was only down one quarter.  I made the turn shooting 42 and down 5 quarters.  The back nine was much better, shooting 38.  At hole #17 the players down the most quarters get to Double Wolf to try to catch up.  One guy was down more than my 3 quarters, so he chose #17, a par 3 playing 167y.  I hit my tee shot to 3 feet and made a birdie, so now I'm only down 1 quarter.  I Double Wolfed on the par 5 #18.  Got on in 3 shots, missing the birdie, but managed to push with everyone else.  I could have won a few more quarters if I could putt better on those greens!

So all in all, I played golf, shot 80, and it only cost me a quarter!  

• Like 8

Bacon Boyz this morning. 57’ but very windy following last nights storms. Good turnout 24 guys. Shot even Par 1 bird, 1 bogey. Don’t know what’s going on but playing well. This was not a particularly hard course but wind was the factor.

• Like 6

Rick

Left Hand, 

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

On 2/2/2020 at 5:57 PM, cnosil said:

Think I just need to loosen my grip and let gravity help......

That's a James Sieckmann technique I was shown at a clinic last year -- ball back, weight forward, shaft lean and just let the clubhead drop down onto the back of the ball.

• Like 3

44/39 at Desert Hills yesterday.  The front 9 at this course, for some dang reason, just has my number.  I don't know what it is about it.  The guys I play with agree it's no harder than the back and most think it's easier.  Do any of you have a similar tendency/scoring challenge on certain courses - and tales of two nines? 😐

• Like 6

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver | Official 2019 MGS Tester

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-UW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:ping-small: B61 Putter

That's a James Sieckmann technique I was shown at a clinic last year -- ball back, weight forward, shaft lean and just let the clubhead drop down onto the back of the ball.

I don’t do shaft lean forward; I want to make sure I use the bounce and slide under the ball. I have a tendency to be get out of sequence and incorrectly use my hands. I follow more of a Jeff Pierce or James Ridyard approach which is similar to what I was taught in my lesson. Heard a lot about Siekmann but didn’t click when I watched some videos.
  • Like 4

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  Bellum Winmore 787

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

44/39 at Desert Hills yesterday.  The front 9 at this course, for some dang reason, just has my number.  I don't know what it is about it.  The guys I play with agree it's no harder than the back and most think it's easier.  Do any of you have a similar tendency/scoring challenge on certain courses - and tales of two nines? [emoji52]

Yup, I had a couple of courses in New England where one of the 9’s killed me. The back 9 @ Black Hall in Old Lyme especially and back 9 @ Franklin CC in Franklin Ma. come to mind quickly.

• Like 4

Rick

Left Hand, 

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 hours ago, cksurfdude said:

3 hours ago, cnosil said:

I don’t do shaft lean forward; I want to make sure I use the bounce and slide under the ball. I have a tendency to be get out of sequence and incorrectly use my hands. I follow more of a Jeff Pierce or James Ridyard approach which is similar to what I was taught in my lesson. Heard a lot about Siekmann but didn’t click when I watched some videos.

Up until last year I was chipping the ball similar to what @cksurfdude describes.  Last year I started playing the ball more centered and using the bounce like @cnosil describes.  I have no idea whose technique it is.  I've seen so many videos, and I worked out the shots on my own.  So I guess it's a Kenny B technique!  🤣  Whatever works to get the ball close.

• Like 3

My wife and I played today at our club.  After driving the ball really well yesterday at the other course in town, I struggled a little bit.  However, the rest of my game showed up.  I shot an EVEN par 37 on the front nine with one birdie and one bogey.  At the turn the wind picked up and the temp dropped; hands got cold.  Still not a bad +5 or 40...  for a nice 77.

HOWEVER, the highlight of the round was NOT mine.  My wife got her first Ace on #12.  She's been playing golf for 55 years and never had one.  It was a one-hopper into the hole.  So much fun to see it go in.  As she was walking off the green, a Navy plane did a flyby.  She said that was her dad looking down on her and saying "What took you so long?"  She shot 86.

• Like 8
  • Love 1

Struggle city today!

7/14 FiR

4/18 GiR

34 putts

Couldn't hit a green today, and it was mostly my tee game to blame even though I technically hit half of them. Overall pretty poor performance but it was nice to leave work early, eff responsibilities! 

• Like 6

Driver: :titelist-small: TSi3 10* Tensei AV Raw Blue

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Modus 3 115 Wedge

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 w/ BGT Stability Tour

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B X