TESTERS WANTED! ×

How'd you play?

MmmmmmBuddy

1 hour ago, dlow206 said:

The thought of potentially having my lowest score came into my head 

STOP that!

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

10 minutes ago, CarlH said:

STOP that!

Yep, i need to figure out how not to let it get in my head. 

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

2 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I found that breaking 80 for the first time was the biggest barrier. Then everything seems to get easier. Just like you mentioned that you did it four times this season. For me not adding up my score during play took the mental part of the game out. I would write the score of the hole down but just not mentally total. Then you add it up at the end and all the sudden you are in the low 70's. Keep up the good work I know you are running out of the golf season much sooner than I am.

I completely agree! I used to keep track hole by hole or even add it up where I was at after the turn, but now I do everything I can to block out past and future holes and just focus on the shot at hand. When I do it well inevitably are my best rounds. 

And thanks, you'll have to see if you can blow some of your warmer weather our direction and see if we can get a nice long fall golf season;)

Right Handed

Driver: 9° :cobra-small: Speedzone (HZRDUS Smoke Green 70g X-Stiff shaft)

2 Hybrid: 18° :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

3/Driving Iron: 18° :Hogan: UiHi Iron (MMT Utility TX 105g shaft)

Irons: 4-GW :titelist-small: T100 irons (Nippon Modus 120 X-Stiff shafts) (2021 MGS Official Review here)

Wedges: 54° & 58° post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TSW Forged (Dynamic Gold S300)

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B (2019 MGS Official Review here)

Ball: MAXFLI Tour X

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

WITB thread here

1 hour ago, dlow206 said:

Was playing really well today, shot a 45 on the front 9. Continued good play on the back 9 with 3 pars in a row. The thought of potentially having my lowest score came into my head and then I self destructed on 15. Put two in the water which equaled a quad. The self destruction continued for the rest of the round and ended up with a 49 on the back 9. Total score was 94. 

Finishing a round when you’re going for a personal best, or to win a match is something that doesn’t come easy for most people. They usually stumble a few times, then break through the wall.

You played really well, just got over your skis a bit at the end. Never touch the money!

what you take from today is you’re a good enough player now to break 90. Realize that, and you’ll be doing it consistently very soon.

Driver:          :ping-small: G425 Max 10.5*

Fairway:      :ping-small: G425 Max 14*5* & 17.5*

Hybrids:      :ping-small: G425 Max 22* & 26*

Irons:           :callaway-small: Apex DCB 6-AW

Wedges:      :callaway-small: Jaws Raw Face 54-10

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore 58-6

Putter:         :EVNROLL:  ER7  34”

59 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

Break your game down to 3 holes only.  Try to play 3 holes with a score of 13 or less.  If you shoot >13, fine.  If you shoot <13 great!  At the end of the 3 holes, whether you shot 11 or 15, forget it and start a new game for the next 3 holes.  Only focus on the 3 holes.  This way, you'll play 6 games of 3 holes.  If you're able to shoot an average of 13 on all 6 groups of 3, you will have broken 80.  Even if you don't do that, by only focusing on 3 holes for your score, you will have simplified your game and you won't be so focused on the score on 18 holes.  It's difficult to not think about score, but the less you think about it, they more likely you are to score better.  Have someone else keep score!!!

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

3 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I found that breaking 80 for the first time was the biggest barrier. Then everything seems to get easier. Just like you mentioned that you did it four times this season. For me not adding up my score during play took the mental part of the game out. I would write the score of the hole down but just not mentally total. Then you add it up at the end and all the sudden you are in the low 70's. Keep up the good work I know you are running out of the golf season much sooner than I am.

What do you think is the barrier to par? I've had a handful of 74 & 75 after taking lessons and getting straightened out. So I feel like the next mini plateau been reached.

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

20 minutes ago, CarlH said:

Break your game down to 3 holes only.  Try to play 3 holes with a score of 13 or less.  If you shoot >13, fine.  If you shoot <13 great!  At the end of the 3 holes, whether you shot 11 or 15, forget it and start a new game for the next 3 holes.  Only focus on the 3 holes.  This way, you'll play 6 games of 3 holes.  If you're able to shoot an average of 13 on all 6 groups of 3, you will have broken 80.  Even if you don't do that, by only focusing on 3 holes for your score, you will have simplified your game and you won't be so focused on the score on 18 holes.  It's difficult to not think about score, but the less you think about it, they more likely you are to score better.  Have someone else keep score!!!

Most people would agree with you, don’t look at their card or think about their score.

I’m the opposite. I’m always aware of how I stand. I can’t help myself, I always want to know. I grew up playing other sports where I always knew the score, and I embraced the situation. Why not with golf?

As for @dlow206 here’s something for you to consider…

A lot of mid and high caps are prone to a couple of blow up holes, or “ruin” their round though by pressing to break a barrier.

A few years back I realized playing a lot of match play really helped me with that. I was playing under pressure, but a blow up hole was just one bad hole. It wasn’t a round breaker. That freed me up, and enabled me to put that bad hole behind me.
Maybe see if you can join a league or enter local match play comps? Learning to play, and win in those competitive situations prepares you to handle pressure moments in stroke play.
Barriers, will always be there in this game. You’re always going to look to break through the next one. That’s the fun, and the challenge of golf. Embrace it.

Edited by Grand Stranded

4 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I'm struggling with the elusive 72 or better.  I've come close numerous times with 73 and frequent 74-77 rounds, but that magical even par or breaking par eludes me.  I try not to think about my score, but that's darn near impossible -- even if I'm not actively thinking about it, someone in the group will invariably mention "say, you're 2 under". LOL.  Of course, that I am generally the one keeping score doesn't help.  I should pass off that duty.

7 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Breaking News!! Shot a personal best for 9 holes today with a 38!  And it began with a 1 shot penalty on my drive on the very first hole. But recoverd with a  nice chip snd putt for bogey.  3 bogeys and 1 birdie. 

It was during a 27 hole match.  The other nines were scramble and Alternate Shot.  As a team we shot 37-35-42 =114 which placed us 4th out of 32 teams.  Not bad for a 17 (me) and 9 (my partner) handicaps.  

We got in a couple bad spots off the tee on a couple holes of the Alternate Shot.  And couldn’t make any putts that counted during the scramble.  

I was beyond thrilled with the way I hit the T300s all day actually.   Highlight shot was during the better ball round.  I was in a fairway bunker 155 out.  Hit it cleanly and carried a front greenside bunker.  Ended up about 20 feet and had an easy 2 putt 

Next most pressured shot was on 9 as I knew a vey good score was within reach. Had 141 uphill into a slight breeze with trouble up front   I hit a 5 again as I didn’t want to be short. Hit it flush and was off the back of the green by about 3 yards    Hit s nice down hill chip to 3 feet and made the knee knocker for 38!

Love these irons! 

Congratulations!!  The T300 are doing you proud👍

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

25 minutes ago, Rickp said:

Congratulations!!  The T300 are doing you proud👍

Indeed they are. And of course I have a newly arrived unopened box of P790s sitting in my office😳

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

2 hours ago, Grand Stranded said:

Finishing a round when you’re going for a personal best, or to win a match is something that doesn’t come easy for most people. They usually stumble a few times, then break through the wall.

You played really well, just got over your skis a bit at the end. Never touch the money!

what you take from today is you’re a good enough player now to break 90. Realize that, and you’ll be doing it consistently very soon.

Thanks. Feeling pretty confident about breaking 90 soon. 

Updated 07/15/2022
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip

3 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

Thanks. Feeling pretty confident about breaking 90 soon. 

Shoot down I-5 and let me caddy a couple of rounds for you.  Bet we can break 90!  🙂

9 minutes ago, CarlH said:

Shoot down I-5 and let me caddy a couple of rounds for you.  Bet we can break 90!  🙂

Forget about the breaking 90, we should play at Bandon. Don't care if I shoot 110 there lol. 

Updated 07/15/2022

2 hours ago, CarlH said:

I'm struggling with the elusive 72 or better.  I've come close numerous times with 73 and frequent 74-77 rounds, but that magical even par or breaking par eludes me.  I try not to think about my score, but that's darn near impossible -- even if I'm not actively thinking about it, someone in the group will invariably mention "say, you're 2 under". LOL.  Of course, that I am generally the one keeping score doesn't help.  I should pass off that duty.

Each time I broke a milestone I never knew it. I play with golfers that know not to say anything when someone is on the verge of something good. I don't know how that started but we all just go on as usual and then spring it on them at the end. 

Obviously if you are banging out a lot of pars you know it. Focus on one shot at a time. 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

12 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Each time I broke a milestone I never knew it. I play with golfers that know not to say anything when someone is on the verge of something good. I don't know how that started but we all just go on as usual and then spring it on them at the end. 

Obviously if you are banging out a lot of pars you know it. Focus on one shot at a time. 

That’s when you know you’re playing with guys who’ve played other sports competitively. They know what not to say in those situations.

It’s like when a pitcher hasn’t given up a hit for 7 innings. Nobody wants to sit near or say a word to him.

1 hour ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Indeed they are. And of course I have a newly arrived unopened box of P790s sitting in my office😳

Of course, I should have known that😜

Rick

Left Hand, 

1 hour ago, fozcycle said:

Last couple of rounds at Plantation Palms has not been good, but Labor Day weekend came at a good time.  Our family fathers at Suwannee River Rendezvous for a weekend of tubing and eating.  Golf will return on Tuesday.

77D9372F-0B5E-41E8-8976-9DB4AD0200FA.jpeg

7A19096F-657C-44B2-8173-00E822826E95.jpeg

A81328CE-BCD0-4AB6-BC8F-EF823E563698.jpeg

That’s awesome!!

Rick

Left Hand, 

32 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

That quiet when you’re on the verge of something good can be deafening 😱

Rick

Left Hand, 

1 minute ago, Rickp said:

That quiet when you’re on the verge of something good can be deafening 😱

Yes, like bowling your going into the 10th frame with all strikes and everyone stops to watch. All you can hear is your heartbeat.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

Son and I played at Fairways in Rochelle with a couple friends from work.  All three are a lot better than I am.  I was actually playing pretty well at first.  Then I shot 10's on back to back par 5's, which started an eight hole run of double or worse golf.  On the whole, though, things were encouraging.  Some grip and alignment adjustments were mostly working well.  Putting was more hit than miss and I hit a few really nice wedge shots.

Best part of all: I used the same ball for the entire round!

Weather was great and the company was better.  Shot a 110 and would do it all over again.

Cobra Aerojet Max driver

Cobra Aerojet Max 3 wood and 7 wood

Cobra Aerojet 4/5/6 hybrids

Cobra Aerojet 7-PW, GW

Cobra Snakebite 52° and 58° wedges

Cobra King Stingray 20 putter

7 hours ago, dlow206 said:

"... You never count your money when you're sittin' at the table.  There'll be time enough for countin' when the dealin's done."  - Kenny Rogers

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”