MmmmmmBuddy

How'd you play?

Our Sponsors

I broke 70 for the first time today, so I played really well. Shot 69 with 6 birdies, so it could’ve been better yet. Putter was on fire as were the irons. Driver not so much, but my misses were still manageable.  
3/14 fairways
10/18 greens
22 putts

Congratulations! It's amazing when you realize you don't have to be perfect to put up a sub-par round. Well done! May it be the first of many rounds in the 60's!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 6

Ping G400 LST 8.5* Graphite Design DI 6 stiff 45"

Taylormade RBZ Proto 14.5* Oban Kiyoshi 85 04 42.5"

Adams 4555 19* Matrix Ozik Altus 80 S/X 42"

Ping G410 Crossover 2 Project X Even Flow Blue 85 6.0 40"

Ping i500 4-8 Modus 105 Stiff

Ping Blueprint 9-P Modus 105 Stiff

Fourteen RM-12 53* and 58* Tour Issue Black Onyx s400 

Odyssey Tour Black Series 9 35" Flatso 1.0 

Srixon Z Star XV

2018 Ping Hoofer 

We have all been confronted with the notion of “new normal”, and for me personally, this reality includes a renewed appreciation for simple things. Like a hot cup of coffee in the morning, gainful employment, continually losing chess matches to my girlfriend, and after a 7 month layoff, my new relationship with golf.
Standing on the first tee Thursday morning, I was filled with anxiety and hope. General anxiety about the struggle we’re all facing together, and the desperate hope that golf might once again provide some balance.
With a few waggles of the lumber and a simple swing thought (turn), the anxiety seemed to drain out of my hands and a pearly K-Sig was somehow arcing down the right side of the fairway. And so I marched after it, buzzing with the same excitement that I experienced my first time setting foot on a real course. As a dreamweaver PW from 144 neared it’s apex, I quietly mused to my playing partner through a cracking voice “well... I guess go in?” It landed 10 feet short, took one hop and spun back to a spot 6 feet under the hole. The putt seemed like a foregone conclusion, as I watched it settle softly into the center of a shallow cup.
A textbook birdie on the 1st was not the precursor to some magic awakening of my dormant golf skills. To the contrary, over the next 9 holes, the collection included some of the biggest clankers that I can recall. But the lack of frustration I felt over less than ideal outcomes was an experience that I cannot recall. And I think that arguably qualifies as a magical awakening.
I used to believe courage was the foundation of a successful golf outing. That is no longer the case. Because courage implies action in the face of fear, and I no longer see danger on the golf course, only opportunity. The opportunity to take risks, succeed or fail, and continue marching. So, for the foreseeable future, I’m beginning every morning on the 1st tee; rebuilding my grit and callouses, through a new set of eyes.
I have 27 holes under my belt this season and I’m not sure when I’ll start keeping score again. I’m not sure which clubs will be in my bag each morning I walk out the front door, or even which bag. But I’m certain that I will appreciate every moment. And I believe that constitutes playing well, in an entirely new way.
This game is a gift that keeps giving. And I feel very fortunate to truly see it as a game again.

Well said

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 2

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Ping G410 Plus

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead

Irons; Ping G410 5-SW & Mizno 919 Hot Metal 5-SW

Putter; Waaay too many to list

I was hitting the center of the clubface consistently today like never before. Hitting PW 155 consistently. Also played Srixon Z Star again, in a change back from the new RZN, ball came out much flatter and further. Shot a 38 from the tips with two bad chips away from even par. They weren’t even bad contact, just not quite far enough. 

• Like 7

Stats: 5'4", Male, R-Handed, Moderate Tempo, Driver SS 106mph

Driver: Ping i25, S-flex PWR 65 shaft
3w/5w: Callaway X-Hot, S-flex Fubuki shafts
3i: FOURTEEN FH-1000, DG X100
4i-PW: Mizuno MP-4, DG S300
Wedges: Titleist SM7
56* Wedge: Callaway Jaws w/ 12* of bounce

2nd full round in and posted a tasty 41-39. Missed my downhill 15’ birdie putt on the last for a 79. Still managed to have a few doubles and 1 darn triple.
The PXG Gen2 0811x is for real. Just need a new shaft to tighten up my dispersion.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 9

What is in my Bag Boy Revolver

Driver:    PXG Gen2 0811x 10.5* set to small + with a VA Composites Nemesys 55s @ 44.75"

Fairway:  :srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Irons: Testing the Titleist T200 irons 4-W2 with Project X LZ 5.5 shaft -1/2" and 1* Up

Wedge: Titleist SM7 56* with Project X LZ 5.0 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Custom Futura X5 flow neck with a UST Frequency Filtered shaft -1" with a SS wristlock grip

25 minutes ago, CarlH said:

A rather disappointing round today.  Save a few shots, my long game was fairly good today, but the short game was on shaky ground.  2 double bogeys (one trying to get home in two on a par 5 and pulling it a hair into the water on the left side of the green), offset with 2 birdies.   41/41 for an 82.  My putting was off today and just not getting the speed right.  Chipping was also lackluster (although that's generally my weak point, anyway).   Played nines within our 3 some and I came in dead last.  

Same. Even practicing at home and grooving a centered strike just doesn’t give you that feedback on how far you need to hit it. Quickest area to lose feel, but it comes back!

• Like 2

Played Barton Creek, my first round on a simulator yesterday. Can't figure out how to putt on these things and I think I need to recalibrate it because apparently I can hit a 7i 223yds now. Hahahahaha. If you just skip to the next hole it automatically gives you a twelve. Shot a 115.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, Mtbryant01 said:

I drove down with some buddies to Montgomery, AL and played the RTJ Capitol Hill Legislator and Judge courses. Below are some pictures.

I played the Legislator course in the morning. Shot a 87 with 2 birdies, 7 pars, and an unfortunate (4) 3 putts. The greens were nasty! 

I played the Judge course in the afternoon. Shot an 83 with 2 birdies and 9 pars. I had 10 GIRs which helped but still lost 4 balls off the tee. I believe 14 of the 18 holes had water. It was a grind. 

0A27D50B-7AA6-4410-B463-A582E5FA40F0.jpeg

0B3E3728-5FEC-4D7C-AD8B-3F9999D5B59F.jpeg

932FD590-43D7-4AB4-8BD6-2752ABF3C804.jpeg

296EFABC-D602-4BD6-8B10-A9A305D2E949.jpeg

That course is gorgeous. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, zrumble said:

That course is gorgeous. 

It really is. Top 3 on the RTJ facilities. All the RTJ courses are great to play here in Alabama. Obviously not as prestigious as some around the nation, but definitely worth playing if you’re ever over this way. 

• Like 3

:ping-small:  G410 Plus, w/ X stiff 75 g Project X Evenflow Black shaft driver

:adams-small: GT Tight Lies 3 & 5 wood

:taylormade-small: SLDR AW - 4 iron S flex

:cleveland-small: Rotex 2.0 RTX 588 56°

:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 08M 60°

:scotty-small: Newport 2.5 putter

:Snell:MTB X golf balls

RH, Alabama

1 hour ago, mr.hicksta said:

The good? I finally played Torrey Pines South. The bad? I left my game at home today. Standby for the carnage...

101, 98 ESC (49/52) - 1 birdie, 2 pars, 6 bogeys, 4 doubles, 4 triples and 1 quad. Just a complete disaster. 

FIR 3/14 (21%) - I felt completely uncomfortable off the tee from the get go, which set the tone for the day. 

GIR 3/18 (17%) - Irons and wedges fell in line with my tee game. Just a mess from the get go. 

38 putts with 2 1 putts and 4 3 putts - Like the other areas today, just not good. 

Overall though it was a beautiful day and I look forward to playing the North course eventually as well as getting revenge on the South course!

1B0191F7-B172-42BA-A7D7-9C5594F0E69A.jpeg

90BF1AF5-B148-401C-A127-6E3B2461EB70.jpeg

58FB5C4E-22AD-46D2-88CC-2356D800A3E9.jpeg

48A8E233-8AA2-427D-8DA9-9AF9466DD3E4.jpeg

65F16335-1917-4A0B-BA66-8E08E93A49CB.jpeg

BB8D0F59-6934-4898-913F-92C3BF028105.jpeg

That place will eat your lunch in a hurry!

• Like 2

:callaway-small:                      Epic Flash Sub Zero 9.5* (Ventus Black 6X) 45"

:taylormade-small:             M5 15* (Ventus Black 7x) 43"

:callaway-small:                      Epic Flash Sub Zero 18* (Tensei AV Blue 70 X)

:srixon-small:                     Z585 4-5 (KBS C Taper S)

:srixon-small:                     Z785 6-AW (KBS C Taper S)

:titelist-small:                      Vokey SM8 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                      Vokey SM8 59 04 L   (KBS 610)

:bettinardi-1:                Studio Stock 28 Slotback 33.5"

:bridgestone-small:       Tour BX

:Arccos:

Twitter         @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

3 minutes ago, THEZIPR23 said:

That place will eat your lunch in a hurry!

Honestly, I found the par 3s to be the most challenging. And the pin locations were particularly brutal today. Fun course though!

• Like 3

TaylorMade SIM 9º | Project X HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 6.5
Ping G410 3W 14.5º | VA Composites Drago 75 X
Ping G410 3H 18º | KBS Tour Hybrid Proto 95 X
Ping G410 4H 22º | KBS Tour Hybrid Proto 95 X
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged 5-PW | Dynamic Gold X100
Cleveland RTX 4 50 Mid, 54 Mid, 60 Full | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Evnroll ER5 | BGT Stability Tour
TaylorMade TP5

7/14 fir

13/18 gir

32 putts

What a beautiful, diabolical, crazy a$$ game we play. After putting lights out for about the last 5 rounds, I couldn’t buy a putt today. Hit is great. 5 birdies. 3 2 putt birdies, a 3’ & 7’. Playing the par 5’s good. 7 under on 5’s last 2 rounds. Threw away 3 shots on back nine today. 

The beautiful part of the game came in the first 3 holes. First hole hit a straight but short drive leaving 149 from the fairway. High soft 8 iron to 12’. Second hole good drive but 5 yards in right rough, 149 flag little bit downwind. 9 iron to 30’. Third hole is dogleg par 5, snapped my 5w and had to hit 7 iron over trees to get back to fairway leaving you guessed it 149. This time up hill into the wind. Full 8 iron to 7’ (made that one). 3 holes, 3 different drives, all leaving same distance but 3 completely different shots. I love this game!

• Like 8
  • Love 1

:callaway-small:                      Epic Flash Sub Zero 9.5* (Ventus Black 6X) 45"

:taylormade-small:             M5 15* (Ventus Black 7x) 43"

:callaway-small:                      Epic Flash Sub Zero 18* (Tensei AV Blue 70 X)

:srixon-small:                     Z585 4-5 (KBS C Taper S)

:srixon-small:                     Z785 6-AW (KBS C Taper S)

:titelist-small:                      Vokey SM8 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                      Vokey SM8 59 04 L   (KBS 610)

:bettinardi-1:                Studio Stock 28 Slotback 33.5"

:bridgestone-small:       Tour BX

:Arccos:

Twitter         @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

After two weeks of low temps, and two days of heavy thunderstorms I got out yesterday. And the course triple booked the tee time...took 5 hours to play with cart path only. I shot a 38-37 for 75 with probably my best birdie ever. Hole 14 is a 532 yard par 5. I smother-hooked the drive under some trees to the left and punched a 4 iron back to the fairway. I was lying 3 and still 220 out. I hit my hybrid to 25 feet and BURIED THAT PUTT.

Take Dead Aim

• Like 5

11 hours ago, mr.hicksta said:

The good? I finally played Torrey Pines South. The bad? I left my game at home today. Standby for the carnage...

101, 98 ESC (49/52) - 1 birdie, 2 pars, 6 bogeys, 4 doubles, 4 triples and 1 quad. Just a complete disaster. 

FIR 3/14 (21%) - I felt completely uncomfortable off the tee from the get go, which set the tone for the day. 

GIR 3/18 (17%) - Irons and wedges fell in line with my tee game. Just a mess from the get go. 

38 putts with 2 1 putts and 4 3 putts - Like the other areas today, just not good. 

Overall though it was a beautiful day and I look forward to playing the North course eventually as well as getting revenge on the South course!

1B0191F7-B172-42BA-A7D7-9C5594F0E69A.jpeg

90BF1AF5-B148-401C-A127-6E3B2461EB70.jpeg

58FB5C4E-22AD-46D2-88CC-2356D800A3E9.jpeg

48A8E233-8AA2-427D-8DA9-9AF9466DD3E4.jpeg

65F16335-1917-4A0B-BA66-8E08E93A49CB.jpeg

BB8D0F59-6934-4898-913F-92C3BF028105.jpeg

I told our pro that we need a Rolex clock like that one at our muni because we don't have any clocks in the clubhouse except for the one by the cash register.  He just laughed!!   🤣

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

18 hours ago, downlowkey said:

We have all been confronted with the notion of “new normal”, and for me personally, this reality includes a renewed appreciation for simple things. Like a hot cup of coffee in the morning, gainful employment, continually losing chess matches to my girlfriend, and after a 7 month layoff, my new relationship with golf.

Standing on the first tee Thursday morning, I was filled with anxiety and hope. General anxiety about the struggle we’re all facing together, and the desperate hope that golf might once again provide some balance.

With a few waggles of the lumber and a simple swing thought (turn), the anxiety seemed to drain out of my hands and a pearly K-Sig was somehow arcing down the right side of the fairway. And so I marched after it, buzzing with the same excitement that I experienced my first time setting foot on a real course. As a dreamweaver PW from 144 neared it’s apex, I quietly mused to my playing partner through a cracking voice “well... I guess go in?” It landed 10 feet short, took one hop and spun back to a spot 6 feet under the hole. The putt seemed like a foregone conclusion, as I watched it settle softly into the center of a shallow cup.

A textbook birdie on the 1st was not the precursor to some magical awakening of my dormant golf skills. To the contrary, over the next 9 holes, the collection included some of the biggest clankers that I can recall. But the lack of frustration I felt over less than ideal outcomes, was an experience that I cannot recall. And I think that arguably qualifies as a magical awakening.

I used to believe courage was the foundation of a successful golf outing. That is no longer the case. Because courage implies action in the face of fear, and I no longer see danger on the golf course, only opportunity. The opportunity to take risks, succeed or fail, and continue marching. So, for the foreseeable future, I’m beginning every morning on the 1st tee; rebuilding my grit and callouses, through a new set of eyes.

I have 27 holes under my belt this season and I’m not sure when I’ll start keeping score again. I’m not sure which clubs will be in my bag each morning I walk out the front door, or even which bag. But I’m certain that I will appreciate every moment. And I believe that constitutes playing well, in an entirely new way.

This game is a gift that keeps giving. And I feel very fortunate to truly see it as a game again.

Mr. Dude you are one of the wordsmith muses on here; that was an awesome story! .. and it's now copied into the Notes on my smartphone. Thanks!

• Like 4

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
..Tour Edge Exotics EXS 3W/HL (17*) and EXS 7W (Tensei CK Blue)
..Callaway Big Bertha 4H (Recoil ZTR) and/or Callaway XR 4H (Project X SD)
..PXG 0211 6i-GW (Mitsubishi MMT) 
..Cleveland CBX2 54 (Rotex graphite) and Callaway X-Jaws 60 (TT-DG S300)
..Evnroll ER5 (33", 385g)
..all in a Datrek Hybrid bag on a Bag Boy Quad XL push cart.

Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator