Our Sponsors

On 5/31/2020 at 5:45 PM, silver & black said:

I figure this is as good a place as any to put this. Have any of you seriously considered giving up this game? I am there right now. I have gone from a solid single digit to.... I have no idea.

I can't hit a ball with anything.... driver, irons or wedges. Everything I hit is almost cut in half with the bottom of the club. This has gone on for at least the last 6 rounds I've played. This is not fun or enjoyable... at all. I have lost 30 lbs. over the Winter. I can't find a swing to save my life. The game I love has become something to despise/fear. I'm not sure how much longer I can keep going like this before I just quit. 

Have any of you ever been where I am? What did you do? How did you fix it?

I can relate to how you're feeling right now, I'm going through one of those "down" periods now also. It can be incredibly frustrating when something you should take joy from becomes stressful(?). I had to take 2 months off this year due to an elbow issue, and I just haven't played well since coming back. Today was bout as good a day as I've had since starting to play again, but still frustrating.

Played the front in 40, par on 10, then 4 doubles in a row before finishing the last 4 holes 1 over. Shot 85, with the pattern of just losing my swing at some point in the round then getting it back, but not knowing why, continuing.

Maybe you need to take a break, clear your head, then go hit some balls at the range a few times before going out again. There's nothing wrong with taking time to clear the gremlins out of your head.

Good luck...

• Like 7

:ping-small: G400 Max 9* Alta Reg

:callaway-small: Epic Flash 15* Evenflow 5.0

:cobra-small: Speedback 3&4 Atmos Reg

PXG 0211 5-GW MMT 70 

:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 52-F & 56- S (bent to 57*)

:titelist-small: :scotty-small: Newport 2.0 33.5"

:titelist-small: Hybrid 5 stand bag

• Replies 15.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Today was a good day.  First hole in one ever.  50° Cobra King wedge from 120 yards.  Hit just past the hole and spun back in. Shot 73 to tie my lowest round ever. Won my match 8 and 6

Un-bloody-conscious! I still can't believe it but I shot a 79! 57% FIR 33% GIR 30 putts.  

****Alert ***** Alert!******Alert!****** sluggo shoots a new PB today !!!!!!!!!!!   -4.......    67. .......    -4. .....    67!   ..... It was a Great day to say the least, and the o

Posted Images

13 hours ago, downlowkey said:

9 holes and back home before 9am.

Even par round - 3 birdies and a very ugly triple.

Almost bagged my first ace on the 4th hole today. Flat footed 7-iron from 161 ended up about a foot right behind the hole.

Got paired with some old pals from our club MGA group. It was nice catching up and we made plans to play early again Friday morning.

Nice round. I used to run a chapter of the MGA in California, it’s been hibernating since my kids were born. Might be time to reopen it soon. What MGA chapter you play in?

• Like 1

WITB Cobra F9 Speed Back w/Fujikura Atmos x70 black, Cobra 🐍 Fly Z Pro Irons 4-PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60.04L(thanks MGS for the lesson), Ping Ketsch Putter, Ping Pioneer Bag, Tri Swivel II Cart. 

6 hours ago, Grand Stranded said:

I can relate to how you're feeling right now, I'm going through one of those "down" periods now also. It can be incredibly frustrating when something you should take joy from becomes stressful(?). I had to take 2 months off this year due to an elbow issue, and I just haven't played well since coming back. Today was bout as good a day as I've had since starting to play again, but still frustrating.

Played the front in 40, par on 10, then 4 doubles in a row before finishing the last 4 holes 1 over. Shot 85, with the pattern of just losing my swing at some point in the round then getting it back, but not knowing why, continuing.

Maybe you need to take a break, clear your head, then go hit some balls at the range a few times before going out again. There's nothing wrong with taking time to clear the gremlins out of your head.

Good luck...

This. That was the story of early  last year and really much of the last 3-4 years after losing my swing.

Can I offer an idea to take a lesson from a pro? I took one a few years ago that fixed one or two things, but the one last year was a gamechanger. Finally I started to thwack the ball and be much straighter. It's upped not only my enjoyment of the game but allowed me to play more now that I can get around sooner.

As for my game, I've managed to bang out a bunch of rounds:  92 at my home course including taking an 8 on a par 5 going on almost two weeks ago. Played again during the week and shot a pretty ho hum 45 on the back. Managed to play 18 Saturday and shot 93 on a new course. Had about a 5-6 hole stretch where my body was just physically shot but rallied to hit a birdie on 18. 

This week played two 9's and had a 45 and 47. The 45 finished double triple. The 47 was more of a get out and play without worrying about scoring. It was tough round mainly because of my driver and short game, but I started to play better around the 8th hole. Have two more rounds planned this weekend.

• Like 4

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

3 hours ago, sp0rtsfan86 said:

This. That was the story of early  last year and really much of the last 3-4 years after losing my swing.

Can I offer an idea to take a lesson from a pro? I took one a few years ago that fixed one or two things, but the one last year was a gamechanger. Finally I started to thwack the ball and be much straighter. It's upped not only my enjoyment of the game but allowed me to play more now that I can get around sooner.

As for my game, I've managed to bang out a bunch of rounds:  92 at my home course including taking an 8 on a par 5 going on almost two weeks ago. Played again during the week and shot a pretty ho hum 45 on the back. Managed to play 18 Saturday and shot 93 on a new course. Had about a 5-6 hole stretch where my body was just physically shot but rallied to hit a birdie on 18. 

This week played two 9's and had a 45 and 47. The 45 finished double triple. The 47 was more of a get out and play without worrying about scoring. It was tough round mainly because of my driver and short game, but I started to play better around the 8th hole. Have two more rounds planned this weekend.

I appreciate the advice, and the empathy. You mentioned lessons, and I think they're a big part of my "struggles" right now.

Back in November I went to see a very good teacher in my area. When I saw my back swing on video, I'm not going to lie, I was horrified, lol. Way inside, big loop at the top to "correct" that, and then coming into the ball with an open club face. He was amazed though how well I was getting thru the ball with all that going on. Saw him 3x, then went up to Long Island for the Holidays. Couldn't play golf up there because of the weather, but I worked on the drills he gave me. I got back down South early January, and the issue with my elbow flared up very soon after, and I got back to playing about 6 weeks ago. So I really wasn't putting in a lot of range work when I really needed to be doing that.

I think (no, I know) a big issue for me right now is I'm getting lost at the top of my swing, trying to "find?" a proper position. I've lost the flowing feeling of movement you have when playing any sport well. It almost seems like my swing has now fragmented into two entirely separate movements, an unsure back swing, then a turn. I keep waiting to get to the point where muscle memory kicks in. I know/hope I'm on the path to becoming a better player, but right now I'm stuck in the "one step back" part of the "in order to take two steps forward" thing.

I'm not going to lie, It's frustrating, and sometimes I wonder if I'd have been better off just staying with my old, flawed, but consistent swing. My scoring was way better then.

• Like 5

PXG 0211 5-GW MMT 70 

10 hours ago, Agent Mike said:

Nice round. I used to run a chapter of the MGA in California, it’s been hibernating since my kids were born. Might be time to reopen it soon. What MGA chapter you play in?

I actually haven’t played in any MGA events at our club (Coal Creek GC - Colorado) the past few Summers.

:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro D - Matrix Ozik XCON 6 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:Hogan:______ICON Black 4-PW - KBS Tour V S
:cleveland-small:__________588 RTG 49  RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS
:taylormade-small:_______'19 TP5X
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

I played 9 holes this morning, my first golf since October. This was my first round since shoulder surgery back before Thanksgiving. I limited it to 9 until I see how my shoulder feels tomorrow. I would have been happy to break 50 (I'm a 10), and started with an ugly double off a good drive. Three straight bogeys, but finished with 5 pars for a 41. Extremely happy, and right now I don't need any meds for my shoulder.

• Like 8

Moose, my cat, is Siamese

The score didn't indicate that I played any better than I have all year, but my ball striking was very solid.  2 terrible chips and a blowup hole derailed an otherwise good round.  For the first time this season my irons and wedge shots from the fairway felt good.  Also hit what may be the longest drive of my life leaving myself a little 7 iron into a par 5.  Hoping this is a turning point.

• Like 4

WITB

Driver: Titleist TS2 10.5º w/ Diamana DF 60 TX

3 Wood: Titleist 915F 16.5º w/ Diamana Blueboard

Hybrids: PXG 0317X 17º w/ Even Flow

Titleist 816 H1 21º & 25º w/ Diamana Blueboard

Irons (6-PW): Srixon 765 w/ Project X LZ

Wedges: 50º Ping Glide, 54º & 60º PXG 0311

Putter: Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Masterful Tourtype SSS CT A048277

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, fozcycle said:

My daughter is visiting from Indiana so I took her BF to my club. Yesterday I played my regular gold tees and shot 88. Today I played the white tees with him and shot 88.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I play the white tees in every league comp, even though my age "allows" me to play the next one up.

I've moved up a few times though when I play just with my buddy, because I know the whites are a little too hard for him, and I don't want him to play them because of pride(?) He was a career Army guy and I know that's how he's wired.

I've learned moving up doesn't help me, I shoot about the same scores, even if I move BACK a tee to the Blacks. Why? My short game stinks, and I give up a ton of strokes right around the green.

Edited by Grand Stranded
  • Like 6

PXG 0211 5-GW MMT 70 

7 minutes ago, Grand Stranded said:

I play the white tees in every league comp, even though my age "allows" me to play the next one up.

I've moved up a few times though when I play just with my buddy, because I know the whites are a little too hard for him, and I don't want him to play them because of pride(?) He's a career Army guy and I know that's how he's wired.

I've learned moving up doesn't help me, I shoot the same scores just about, even if I move BACK a tee to the Blacks. Why? Apparently my short game stinks, and I give up a ton of strokes right around the green.

I play better farther back (maybe not tips depending on distance) but 6800 is pretty much a good number for me. Why? Because off the tee 130-170 is my wheel house, start getting within 90 and I think I’m worse off 

• Like 4

Follow my overall Vegan transition here

Check out my reviews

:ping-small: G710 Irons Lacassem official review

:taylormade-small: FlexTech is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos::

:titelist-small: TS2 9.5 - Project X HZRDUS Smoke VS Project X HZRDUS Green 

:taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green 

:adams-small: 2H VST - Super Idea S Matrix Kujoh S-Flex

:taylormade-small: 2019 P790 4-PW - Project X 6.5 LZ 

:titelist-small: 52, 56, 60 SM7 - Nippon Modus 125

:odyssey-small: O-Works 1W

:titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Bushnell Tour V3 Jolt

🇺🇸Thank you to all those that have served/are serving and God Bless America 🇺🇸

Posted (edited)
Just now, Lacassem said:

I play better farther back (maybe not tips depending on distance) but 6800 is pretty much a good number for me. Why? Because off the tee 130-170 is my wheel house, start getting within 90 and I think I’m worse off 

Thanks, I thought it was just me, lol..

I'd say over 6400 is when I start pressing though, especially down here where we're at sea level. It's amazing the difference when I play where there's a higher altitude.

Last year my buddies up on Long Island were ragging on me when I came up there and played with them. I'd been whining to them on the phone from down here about how short I'd become off the tee, and then I was blowing it by them every hole.

I'm heading up again this Friday for about 6 weeks, I hope I can do the same thing this year. My confidence in my game needs a boost right now. 

Edited by Grand Stranded
  • Like 3

PXG 0211 5-GW MMT 70 

Meh....40 on the front, despite 2 double bogies.  Was playing pretty solid on the back, but just hosed the last 3 holes.  82 for the day.   Another 9 holes tonight with men's club.

• Like 8

Driver: :ping-small: G400 Max 9 degree Alta CB55 Stiff shaft 

Hybrids: :taylormade-small: M6 --- 3 (19 degrees), 4 (22 degrees), and 5 (25 degrees) Atmos shaft R

Irons: :callaway-small:Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW KBS Tour Graphite  70g shafts R

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX-2 52*, 56*, 60* wedges.  Stock shafts.

Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7S

Ball: :Snell: MTB-X

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

I shot my best round of the year today with a 39 + 37 = 76.   I'm playing again tomorrow so hopefully my ball striking will resemble what I had going today. I had the ole what could it have been if only the flat stick was on fire.  My driver and irons were money while I missed a few really close putts.    

Well done my friend

• Like 3

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Ping G410 Plus

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead

Irons; Ping G410 5-SW & Mizno 919 Hot Metal 5-SW

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, ole gray said:

I shot my best round of the year today with a 39 + 37 = 76.   I'm playing again tomorrow so hopefully my ball striking will resemble what I had going today. I had the ole what could it have been if only the flat stick was on fire.  My driver and irons were money while I missed a few really close putts.    

Great round young fella!

Seems like your Flash and Rogue X's are behaving a lot better than mine are right now. You must've been shooting darts out there. Woulda been unreal if the putter was working for you.

Just now, Rickp said:

Well done my friend emoji106.png

What are we doing here Rick, grading him on a curve?

76 might sound really good, but lets see him try to do it with left handed clubs, like we do... 🙄

Edited by Grand Stranded
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

PXG 0211 5-GW MMT 70 

You southpaws...🙄

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

:callaway-small: MavriK Sub Zero 9* on EvenFlow RipTide 6.0 50g

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:cobra-small: F8 5/6 wood on Aldila NxT GEN MLT R

:Hogan: Combo iron set -8,9,per Icon 5,6,7 PtxPro 4-UiHi on Recoil 780 ES f4 Stiff shafts (best clubs ever)

:benhogan-small: Equalizer 50°, 54°, 60° wedges on Recoil 780 f4

:EVNROLL: ER3 34”

:titelist-small: ProV1x

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 shoes

1 hour ago, Grand Stranded said:

Great round young fella!

Seems like your Flash and Rogue X's are behaving a lot better than mine are right now. You must've been shooting darts out there. Woulda been unreal if the putter was working for you.

What are we doing here Rick, grading him on a curve?

76 might sound really good, but lets see him try to do it with left handed clubs, like we do... 🙄

The Rogue X irons were spot on today .  With that said I pulled an old friend (Ping G30) out of retirement and was striping it today.  The Flash has been awesome for me however the G30 was behaving very nicely to say the least. 

• Like 4

Callaway  Epic Flash 10.5 Driver
Callaway  XR16 4- Wood
Callaway Steelhead 3 Hybrid
Tommy Armour 845 MAX 5 - GW Irons
Cleveland CBX 2 54 Degree SW
Tommy Armour Over N Out 58 Degree Lob
Wilson Harmonized Chipper 32 Degrees
Ping  Sigma G Tyne Putter OR Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide

The Rogue X irons were spot on today .  With that said I pulled an old friend (Ping G30) out of retirement and was striping it today.  The Flash has been awesome for me however the G30 was behaving very nicely to say the least. 

It took a full 2 years after I decided I wanted a new driver before my G30 finally got the boot. And I REALLY only got rid of it because I wanted a different sound. It performed remarkably well against the M5 I’m using now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 4

#COBRACONNECT CHALLENGE 4 ALUMNUS

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver 10.5 - Ventus Blue 6X

:cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S

:cobra-small: Speedzone 4-Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S vs :titelist-small: 818 H1 - Tensei Blue 70s

:cobra-small: KING Forged Tec 5-GW - PX LZ 6.5

:cobra-small: KING MIM Black 52.12 Classic, 56.10 Versatile, 60.04 Widelow - KBS 610 Wedge

:EVNROLL: ER2B

:titelist-small: Pro V1x vs :Snell: MTB-X vs :bridgestone-small: Tour B X

:918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 HD Slope

#cuetheduckboats