Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

How'd you play?

MmmmmmBuddy

2 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

What dosen't kill you or your game makes you stronger... or something like that 😆.  Playing in howling winds can be a fun experience and challenge.

... Tell that to the Phoenix Waste Managment qualifiers that played yesterday at my home course. 3 under qualified for the tournament and I shot 2 under playing on the same course in the afternoon. 🤔  So was I basically 1 shot away from qualifying for a PGA Tour event? Not even close. 

... They played the course at 7100 and I played it at 6408. They actually installed a few new Pro Only tees for qualifiers and elite college tournaments. Sure a 20 mph wind will blow a 250-260 yd drive off line but can really wreak havoc with 300-330 yd drives. Wind was around 20mph so we both played in it but when they teed off the temp was upper 30's and when we teed off at 1:04 it was 59*. It was a chilly wind at 59* and I had on 3 layers so I can't imagine how cold and biting that 20 mph wind was at 37*. And probably more a mental break than a physical break the winds died down for our last 3 or 4 holes as sunset drew near while they finished when the winds were at their strongest. I have also played this course at least 400 times and know the greens well, although like any muni the ball tends to wander a bit but the PGA staff groomed these greens and normally running at 10-11 they stimped at 12.5 and have never rolled as smooth as they did yesterday. Every single putt rolled true and it is the best I ever putted on these greens so it was a real treat to putt on CC type greens at a muni. 

... But the biggest difference of course is the pressure. I was excited and relaxed to play my home course set up for Tour guys but with my normal playing pards. My lone 2 bogies came when I pulled a drive in the woods and hit a second shot in the water. Taking a drop and hitting my 3rd instead of my 2nd I did not have any thoughts of this being the difference between playing in a PGA Tour event next week or just writing a 5 instead of a 4 only card which for me had zero consequences. I would compare it to doing an audition with a friend that is fun, before auditioning for real with a Director and Producer that can change your life if cast and the pressure is very intense. If I make a mistake with my friend we keep going or start over, but that same mistake before the people with the power to cast me is instantly devastating and you don't get a 2nd chance. So I am still a tiny bit shocked 3 guys will play in the Waste Managment tournament next week that only shot 3 under only home course but it just shows how conditions and pressure can make a difficult game much harder than it already is. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

28 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Tell that to the Phoenix Waste Managment qualifiers that played yesterday at my home course. 3 under qualified for the tournament and I shot 2 under playing on the same course in the afternoon. 🤔  So was I basically 1 shot away from qualifying for a PGA Tour event? Not even close. 

... They played the course at 7100 and I played it at 6408. They actually installed a few new Pro Only tees for qualifiers and elite college tournaments. Sure a 20 mph wind will blow a 250-260 yd drive off line but can really wreak havoc with 300-330 yd drives. Wind was around 20mph so we both played in it but when they teed off the temp was upper 30's and when we teed off at 1:04 it was 59*. It was a chilly wind at 59* and I had on 3 layers so I can't imagine how cold and biting that 20 mph wind was at 37*. And probably more a mental break than a physical break the winds died down for our last 3 or 4 holes as sunset drew near while they finished when the winds were at their strongest. I have also played this course at least 400 times and know the greens well, although like any muni the ball tends to wander a bit but the PGA staff groomed these greens and normally running at 10-11 they stimped at 12.5 and have never rolled as smooth as they did yesterday. Every single putt rolled true and it is the best I ever putted on these greens so it was a real treat to putt on CC type greens at a muni. 

... But the biggest difference of course is the pressure. I was excited and relaxed to play my home course set up for Tour guys but with my normal playing pards. My lone 2 bogies came when I pulled a drive in the woods and hit a second shot in the water. Taking a drop and hitting my 3rd instead of my 2nd I did not have any thoughts of this being the difference between playing in a PGA Tour event next week or just writing a 5 instead of a 4 only card which for me had zero consequences. I would compare it to doing an audition with a friend that is fun, before auditioning for real with a Director and Producer that can change your life if cast and the pressure is very intense. If I make a mistake with my friend we keep going or start over, but that same mistake before the people with the power to cast me is instantly devastating and you don't get a 2nd chance. So I am still a tiny bit shocked 3 guys will play in the Waste Managment tournament next week that only shot 3 under only home course but it just shows how conditions and pressure can make a difficult game much harder than it already is. 

We appreciate you out there representing us MGS grey beards and trying to hang with the young bucks but, senior tour Sam, senior tour 😉.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

1 minute ago, fixyurdivot said:

We appreciate you out there representing us MGS grey beards and trying to hang with the young bucks but, senior tour Sam, senior tour 😉.

... LOL, certainly not hanging with the young bucks. If I played my home course from 7100 in 20 mph winds breaking 80 would be a huge challenge. Add temps in the upper 30's for the front 9 and breaking 90 would be a bigger challenge (if I didn't WD after the first hole). 🤪  Now if the senior tour would have a qualifier here? 

14 minutes ago, chisag said:

... LOL, certainly not hanging with the young bucks. If I played my home course from 7100 in 20 mph winds breaking 80 would be a huge challenge. Add temps in the upper 30's for the front 9 and breaking 90 would be a bigger challenge (if I didn't WD after the first hole). 🤪  Now if the senior tour would have a qualifier here? 

You could give the Parker Open a try and see if you can hang with defending champ Alex Cejka 👍

ENTRY FEES: (emeraldcanyongolf.com)

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

26 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

You could give the Parker Open a try and see if you can hang with defending champ Alex Cejka 👍

ENTRY FEES: (emeraldcanyongolf.com)

... That would be a blast but 7am tee times? 🤣  Not a chance. My back is so stiff in the morning and I really don't like playing before noon and the later the better. My last 4 day outing at Myrtle Beach 20 years ago we put money in the pot and rotated partners every morning and afternoon with the winning teams winning cash. 3rd day there was a mini revolt as my 3 pards didn't wanna play with me LOL. Seems the first 2 days I averaged 73 in the afternoon and 86 in the morning. They ended up using an average of their 3 scores and mine didn't count. It was cold, wet and my back was just not interested in swinging a golf club at sunrise when it is normally not even awake. 

9 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

What dosen't kill you or your game makes you stronger... or something like that 😆.  Playing in howling winds can be a fun experience and challenge.  Convincing yourself to full swing the 4i from 150 yards is a skill.

I find it easy to convince myself to hit the 4i; it's much harder to actually hit it well.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

1 minute ago, Kenny B said:

I find it easy to convince myself to hit the 4i; it's much harder to actually hit it well.

Gave up my 4iron 5-6 years ago🙁

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

6 minutes ago, Rickp said:

Since I went back to my MacGregor irons, I had to put the 4i back in since it is the same loft as the 6i of my Bridgestone set!!  🤣

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

On 1/29/2022 at 8:38 AM, No3PuttLaLa said:

Gleneagle GC - Arlington, WA

18 holes walking - White Tees

48° - Sunshine

2:57 (1:39 Front / 1:17 Back)

Not bad for my first round of the year. 7 pars, drove 3 greens, and had zero 3 putts. 

39% GIR

43% FIR

35 Putts

Front 44 

Back 49

FA96DA96-1C71-4F20-B898-2490B43895CA.jpeg

Welcome back to the forum!  We missed you.  

1 hour ago, Kenny B said:

Welcome back to the forum!  We missed you.  

Thank you! Good to be back and getting into the “swing” of things. Ba-dum-tsss

Driver:    :taylormade-small: M4 10.5* / Evenflow Blue 6.0 Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Woods: :taylormade-small: M6 3W 15* / Evenflow Blue 6.0 Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Hybrid: :taylormade-small: M4 Rescue 19* / KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype 85g Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Irons:    :srixon-small:  Z585 4-AW / KBS Tour 90 - Regular +1" / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Wedges:cleveland-small: CBX - 56* & 60* / KBS Hi Rev 2.0 - Regular +1" / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma 2 Tyne 4 Platinum / Superstroke Pistol

Ball:    :taylormade-small: Project a

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer 14

2 hours ago, Rickp said:

2 hours ago, Kenny B said:

2 hours ago, Rickp said:

I firmly believe if we were meant to hit 4 irons, God would never have made hybrids or 9 woods a thing.

Edited by Grand Stranded

Driver:           :ping-small: G425 Max 10.5*

Fairway:       :taylormade-small: Stealth 3HL & 7W

Hybrids:        :taylormade-small: Stealth 25*

Irons:             :touredgeexotics:  E722 6-AW

Wedges:        :callaway-small: Jaws Raw Face 54-10

:cleveland-small:RTX Zipcore 58-6

Putter:           :EVNROLL: ER7  34”

14th club?     :cobra-small:  Speedzone  4H 21*  

:touredgeexotics:  E722 GW 51*                     

On 2/1/2022 at 4:33 PM, chisag said:

... Since I don't drink, I will provide the whine for my cheese. Started out holing an 8 iron from 157 for an eagle on #1. Just missed a 15 foot eagle putt on the 515 par five 2nd to go 3 under. Another eagle putt on #5 but a hard breaking 20 footer so happy with birdie and 4 under though 5. Tees were front of the tee box and I drove it in the green side bunker on the 277yd par 4 8th that is almost all carry over water (dogleg so about 230 to carry the water) and did not get up and down. All pars to round out the front so still 4 under and that is when the defecation splattered the windmill. 

... THREE  groups waiting on the 10th tee box busy putting ice and beer in their carts. Seems they are a league and stopped for a "quick" meeting with some food after the front nine. To make matters worse the sun disappeared (more whine sir?) and since it was only in the mid 60's it felt pretty cold. Played the front in just under 2 hours and played the back in almost 3 hours. To make a longer story short, not only did my back stiffen considerably with the waiting and the chill (shall we open another bottle?) I played the back in +5 to finish one over. What a waste of some really good cheese. 

... The good news is tomorrow the qualifier for the Phoenix Waste Management tourney takes place at my course in the morning and we have a 2:12 tee times so we get to play the same speed greens and pin placements, although we will play the course at 6403 and they will play it at 7089. Temps around 60* but sunny and the winds will be 12-15mph which ain't bad at 80* but it's gonna be chilly at only 60*. That said 60* will be much better than the 47* when the Pro's tee off at 8am. 🥶

cheese.JPG.58ec1f279b8ff6f1e0f9339ebaf6a43c.JPG

Sam.  I remember playing golf with you over 20 years ago.  You use to light up a course.  I am getting the feeling not much is different today.  You are definitely an excellent short game player & your putting is some of the best I have seen.  It will be fun to hear your score from your home course where the Phoenix Waste Management qualifier is being played.  I am predicting -1 for your total.  Can't wait to see your post.

TaylorMade Sim2 Max 10.5 Driver - Tensei AV Blue 55 R

Callaway 4+ Wood Steelhead XR - Tensei CK 65 R

Callaway 5 Wood Steelhead XR - Tensei CK 55 R

Callaway Heavenwood Steelhead XR - Tensei CK 55 R

TaylorMade Rescue Mid 3 (19*) - SteelFiber i95 R

TaylorMade Rescue Mid 4 (22*) - SteelFiber i95 R

TaylorMade Rescue Mid 5 (25*) - SteelFiber i95 R

Honma Beres irons (2020) 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, AW - Nippon 750GH Wrap Tech R 

Vokey SM8 56* D grind & Vokey SM8 54* bent to 52* D grind

Scotty Cameron California Monterey Putter

18 hours ago, Grand Stranded said:

I firmly believe if we were meant to hit 4 irons, God would never have made hybrids or 9 woods a thing.

Yep old buddy I have learned that in my old age---- I have also learned in my old age to hit a little low wind cheating cut stinger with my 3 wood--- But the 5 iron in the TMs goes higher and just as far as the old Mac 4 iron just can not hit the old stinger cut with it because of the shaft and head design makes the ball go higher. But then again one of our older members was amazed that I still carry and hit a 5 iron much less bump and run chip with it. The 5 iron is like a Master Card for me I don't leave home without it

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

18 hours ago, Grand Stranded said:

I got out today with 3 friends, and it was a beautiful day to play the Love Course in Barefoot. Driver was back and the irons and wedges continue to shine. I can’t tell everyone how great it feels to finally be hitting greens again. Thank you PXG!
Unfortunately the FWs continue to be a mess. I had two doubles today, and they were both because I stubbornly pulled out the 3 wood. There was really no need, I wasn’t getting home even if I hit it well, but I just refuse to accept I can’t hit a 15* club!!!! ( even though I keep proving I can’t)

You might think that’s being stubborn, but to me, it’s a sign I need to double down. In the past 24 hours I’ve ordered an Epic Star on EBay and I just ordered an 0211 from PXGs website for $149 a few minutes ago. My reasoning? The Grand Bassara shaft in the Star is worth 3x the $100 I paid for the club, and the 0211 has a 30 day free trial. This proves when you’re desperate, you can convince yourself any decision you make  is reasonable.

One more note, @Kenny B I’m going to revise that quick review I left you with the Hy-wood last week. As I settle in with it, I’m liking it more and more. It was more an issue of me needing to get used to the look of it, and get a feel for how the rails on the sole actually work? Anyway, I’m now finding it not only a very forgiving club, but as I swing it more confidently, the distance has increased. This might become that FW replacement I know deep down I really need. (It’s already banished the 5W, and any thought of a 4W)

We ended up not playing--- The course again was slammed and carts were in short supply--- That was not our staff's fault. Some of these Snowbirds feel entitled and do not care how slow they play. They supposedly had some 6 hour rounds going on. I had practiced early and had went back home to rest so I ended up doing a little extra practice session. 

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

27 minutes ago, BIG STU said:

We ended up not playing--- The course again was slammed and carts were in short supply--- That was not our staff's fault. Some of these Snowbirds feel entitled and do not care how slow they play. They supposedly had some 6 hour rounds going on. I had practiced early and had went back home to rest so I ended up doing a little extra practice session. 

6 hour round, the curse of golf.

Best way to kill the enthusiasm for the game.

Rick

Left Hand, 

1 hour ago, Rickp said:

6 hour round, the curse of golf.

Best way to kill the enthusiasm for the game.

My wife is Irish.  It doesn't kill her enthusiasm, but something/someone might get killed!!

4 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

My wife is Irish.  It doesn't kill her enthusiasm, but something/someone might get killed!!

I’m Irish also and have a “patience problem”.  
We had a good friend years ago, not Irish (unfortunately passed away 8 years ago) who was 24-26 handicap, not a very good player.  BUT you never waited for this guy, he played ready golf and loved the game.  He would go nuts over slow play, loved that guy.  

Rick

Left Hand, 

1 minute ago, Rickp said:

I’m Irish also and have a “patience problem”.  
We had a good friend years ago, not Irish (unfortunately passed away 8 years ago) who was 24-26 handicap, not a very good player.  BUT you never waited for this guy, he played ready golf and loved the game.  He would go nuts over slow play, loved that guy.  

My wife is the youngest of seven (all golfers) and her father was a scratch golfer and club champion at 3 country clubs.  He did not tolerate slow play, and when they played with him, they had to keep up... walking.

1 hour ago, chisag said:

... Had a somewhat frustrating round today. About a 10 mph chilly wind and temps in the low 60's but sunny so not too bad. Started out par-par-birdie-birdie-eagle. A couple of loose shots the rest of the way resulted in 3 bogies along with 1 more birdie. By 17 it was getting down right cold as the sun was going down and the wind picked up. I hit a weak PW that drifted right and into a bunker, the first bunker I was in all day. Had to get up and down to avoid a 4th bogie. I holed it for another birdie. Typical of my day, with frozen fingers I topped my drive on 18 resulting in another bogie. 4 birdies, an eagle and 4 bogies. To be fair the cold didn't seem to effect my younger playing pards as they all hit good drives.  🥶

... Thankfully it's back to upper 70's or 80's next week. 

Kinda a up and down John Daly type day but you still came out ok--- Just wondered what your opinion is of me narrowing my stance up and shortening my swing? I seem to have better balance and more consistent solid contact. I actually picked up a little distance without trying not a real sizeable amount maybe a yard or 2. Going to find out in the line of fire tomorrow because I am playing the shootout tomorrow. Temps in the 50s so I should be ok I do have both of my old school hand warmers fueled up and ready to go just in case.

G

12 hours ago, BIG STU said:

Just wondered what your opinion is of me narrowing my stance up and shortening my swing? I seem to have better balance and more consistent solid contact. I actually picked up a little distance without trying not a real sizeable amount maybe a yard or 2. Going to find out in the line of fire tomorrow because I am playing the shootout tomorrow.

... Stu you know your swing as well as anybody and even more importantly know what kind of shots you want to hit. Injuries make the swing very difficult to pin down from a technical perspective because only you know what works given your physical limitations. Then there are mental concerns as well from hesitation which comes from the bodies natural defense of doing movements that cause pain or discomfort as well as coming to grips with you may not hit it as far as you did pre injury. So I am a big believer in Whatever Works. Not something I would really recommend to someone less familiar with how their swing works. If narrowing your stance and shortening your swing is working, keep at it. Finau and Rahm produce tremendous power with very short backswings so I am not surprised you picked up a few yards.

... I play a little draw off the tee which confuses some because I address the ball with an open stance. I found back in the 90's after 2 back surgeries opening my feet and hips takes pressure off my lower back in the follow through. Before I had a wrap around follow through like Freddie or Wie but learning to lessen the twisting and torque on my back both on the backswing and follow through was paramount to my playing longevity. I lost a little distance because my backswing was a little shorter but my follow through was pain free. It is not something I would teach anyone without a lower back injury because for many it would result in fades and slices. 

7 hours ago, chisag said:

... Stu you know your swing as well as anybody and even more importantly know what kind of shots you want to hit. Injuries make the swing very difficult to pin down from a technical perspective because only you know what works given your physical limitations. Then there are mental concerns as well from hesitation which comes from the bodies natural defense of doing movements that cause pain or discomfort as well as coming to grips with you may not hit it as far as you did pre injury. So I am a big believer in Whatever Works. Not something I would really recommend to someone less familiar with how their swing works. If narrowing your stance and shortening your swing is working, keep at it. Finau and Rahm produce tremendous power with very short backswings so I am not surprised you picked up a few yards.

... I play a little draw off the tee which confuses some because I address the ball with an open stance. I found back in the 90's after 2 back surgeries opening my feet and hips takes pressure off my lower back in the follow through. Before I had a wrap around follow through like Freddie or Wie but learning to lessen the twisting and torque on my back both on the backswing and follow through was paramount to my playing longevity. I lost a little distance because my backswing was a little shorter but my follow through was pain free. It is not something I would teach anyone without a lower back injury because for many it would result in fades and slices. 

Thanks. Yep I think we are on the same page here. And I am actually hitting the ball straighter but I do play a fade by design. I did find out today that I had to open up the left side like I used to do to get through the ball. Today was brutal. The course was wet and it was windy and cold. I did get tight back wise but did not hurt. Lots of places we had a 3 club wind no joke. I disciplined myself which I was proud of and did not hit at it hard and never pushed the issue. We did ok as a team and shot -4 and never struggled which was good for 3rd place out of 16 teams which was not bad. But yep I think I am on the right page

G

Play 9. 45. Ugg!   Mainly because of poor chipping and putting. Still cool and wet in the northwest   The course I played today has decent drainage but still need to clean and place   Full swing was good. I  learn not to fight my swing.  Was seeing ball flight the left to right shots all day. Made the game easier if I swing for  what I see. Only one hole dogleg left that I had to draw. And when I got to that hole. Amazing I was able to adjust body and eye moving pattern to play true draw in my setup.   
went out to practice my chips/ putts afterward. Really frustrating. to have a good day striking  the ball but didn’t have the touch today to score. 

Edited by Haro

On 2/3/2022 at 8:42 PM, sandpounder said:

I remember playing golf with you over 20 years ago.  You use to light up a course.  I am getting the feeling not much is different today.  You are definitely an excellent short game player & your putting is some of the best I have seen.  It will be fun to hear your score from your home course where the Phoenix Waste Management qualifier is being played.  I am predicting -1 for your total.

... Close enough, I was 2 under. Best time I have ever had on a golf course was playing with you, Big Larry and your brother. 🤗