Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

How'd you play?

MmmmmmBuddy

Okay, so I posted the other day in the “What have you been working on” thread. Basically what I was practicing was going back to a two plane swing rather than one. Simply dropping my arms to about hip height, then letting my pivot happen.

I remember about a year ago we were talking feels, and @cnosilexplained to me that what I thought me was keeping my back to the target wasn’t actually that, it was just a “feel”. I noticed on the range the other day, and the course yesterday he was correct. That old “feel” was back though, and so was my comfort level.

I’m a much better player when I drop my arms instead of when I rotate my hips to start my transition. It just feels natural to me. I played pretty well yesterday, I shot an 82 with one caveat. The tees I played were supposed to be 6000, but I doubt they were even 5700. They had us really playing forward on some holes.

One thing I have to mention about the Hackler Course at Coastal Carolina University… next time any of you Lefties are in the area, this course is a must play. It seemed like every other hole was a dogleg right. I can draw a 3 wood pretty easily off a tee, and this course was a dream for me, lol. If I could’ve made some putts I’d have shot about 76-77 easily. Nothing was falling.

I got a kick out of the 3 RHers in my group whining about the layout. I kept telling them “welcome to my world. Southpaws deal with this every day.” They didn’t take any solace in that however. 🙄

Edited by Grand Stranded

Driver:         :ping-small:   G425 Max 10.5* 

Fairway:     :ping-small:   G425 Max 14*5* & 17.5*

:callaway-small:      Paradym  21*

Hybrids:      :callaway-small:      Rogue ST Max OS  24* 

Irons:          :cleveland-small:  Launcher XL Halo 6-DW

Wedges:     :cleveland-small:  CBX Zipcore 54-12

:cleveland-small:  RTX Zipcore 58-6

Putter:        :EVNROLL:  ER7  34”

:OnCore: Elixir 

:1590477705_SunMountain:  2.5 14 way Black

13 minutes ago, Grand Stranded said:

EDIT PRIOR POST, it was a duplicate. So I’ll just say…

@Kenny B remind me to buy you a pair of Footjoy winter gloves for Christmas this year. 😉

Edited by Grand Stranded

27 minutes ago, Grand Stranded said:

Put me in with the Monday group, please. When it’s under 40* I’m all about the diner! 😉

We’re all even Par at the Diner!!  It’s a decent group.  Amazing how many of the world’s problems we solve.  All we need is someone to listen to us😁

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

4 minutes ago, Grand Stranded said:

I had a Condo in Surfside Beach for approximately 10 years and never played that course.  I’m more of a small fade guy so I could have problems with that track!

Rick

Left Hand, 

20 minutes ago, Rickp said:

I had a Condo in Surfside Beach for approximately 10 years and never played that course.  I’m more of a small fade guy so I could have problems with that track!

You probably know then that Dustin Johnson  played his college golf at Coastal Carolina. I kept looking from the tips each hole, imagining how he’d play his fade off the tee.

I’d imagine you would play it the same as DJ. 😉

1 hour ago, Grand Stranded said:

Okay, so I posted the other day in the “What have you been working on” thread. Basically what I was practicing was going back to a two plane swing rather than one. Simply dropping my arms to about hip height, then letting my pivot happen.

I remember about a year ago we were talking feels, and @cnosilexplained to me that what I thought me was keeping my back to the target wasn’t actually that, it was just a “feel”. I noticed on the range the other day, and the course yesterday he was correct. That old “feel” was back though, and so was my comfort level.

I’m a much better player when I drop my arms instead of when I rotate my hips to start my transition. It just feels natural to me. I played pretty well yesterday, I shot an 82 with one caveat. The tees I played were supposed to be 6000, but I doubt they were even 5700. They had us really playing forward on some holes.

One thing I have to mention about the Hackler Course at Coastal Carolina University… next time any of you Lefties are in the area, this course is a must play. It seemed like every other hole was a dogleg right. I can draw a 3 wood pretty easily off a tee, and this course was a dream for me, lol. If I could’ve made some putts I’d have shot about 76-77 easily. Nothing was falling.

I got a kick out of the 3 RHers in my group whining about the layout. I kept telling them “welcome to my world. Southpaws deal with this every day.” They didn’t take any solace in that however. 🙄

Sounds perfect to me.  With my straight to slight fade, I prefer dogleg right to dogleg left... unless I can't get to the dogleg.  🥴

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

1 hour ago, Grand Stranded said:

EDIT PRIOR POST, it was a duplicate. So I’ll just say…

@Kenny B remind me to buy you a pair of Footjoy winter gloves for Christmas this year. 😉

I may give them a try.  I never wore any glove for more than 20 years.  I liked the feel of gripping the club without something between my hand and the grip.  Besides Freddy never uses a glove.  😀  I use the Pure DTX grips which are their version of cord grips, so they are quite rough.  This last year my hands were getting chapped and my old, thinner skin took a beating, so I put a glove on my left hand.  I didn't like it for a long time, but I think I'm getting used to it now.  When I don't use it, it feels weird.  

I'm not sure whether winter gloves will keep my fingers warm or whether they will make my fingers on both hands cold.  It's almost like gloves cut off the circulation.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

2 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

I may give them a try.  I never wore any glove for more than 20 years.  I liked the feel of gripping the club without something between my hand and the grip.  Besides Freddy never uses a glove.  😀  I use the Pure DTX grips which are their version of cord grips, so they are quite rough.  This last year my hands were getting chapped and my old, thinner skin took a beating, so I put a glove on my left hand.  I didn't like it for a long time, but I think I'm getting used to it now.  When I don't use it, it feels weird.  

I'm not sure whether winter gloves will keep my fingers warm or whether they will make my fingers on both hands cold.  It's almost like gloves cut off the circulation.

I’ll be honest, I’m not a fan of gloves either.
In fact I never used one until I started playing in the summer humidity here in SC. Same with rain or winter gloves… I just don’t like them, but like you, I finally got used to wearing one when it’s really hot and muggy.

If it’s really cold, I’ll throw a pair of heavy winter gloves in the cart to wear in between shots but that becomes a pain in the butt really fast, like after 2-3 holes fast.

5 minutes ago, Grand Stranded said:

In fact I never used one until I started playing in the summer humidity here in SC. Same with rain or winter gloves… I just don’t like them, but like you, I finally got used to wearing one when it’s really hot and muggy.

If it’s really cold, I’ll throw a pair of heavy winter gloves in the cart to wear in between shots but that becomes a pain in the butt really fast, like after 2-3 holes fast.

Yep!!  Same with me.  I have a pair of Titleist mittens.  They are easier to put on and take off, but they are still a pain.  When we ride in a cart, I'm always driving so it's hard to keep my hands warm.  I stay much warmer when I walk; I have a cart mitt that keeps my hands toasty between shots.  However, I can only walk 9 holes before my knee gets too sore; time to get the other one replaced.  

10 hours ago, Grand Stranded said:

You probably know then that Dustin Johnson  played his college golf at Coastal Carolina. I kept looking from the tips each hole, imagining how he’d play his fade off the tee.

I’d imagine you would play it the same as DJ. 😉

Right…DJ and I have similar games.😱

Rick

Left Hand, 

2 hours ago, Rickp said:

Right…DJ and I have similar games.😱

LOL and your both 6'4" and have a full head of hair! Twins

Twins.jpg.276477fdd459b732ec7eabb09c0ca361.jpg

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

2 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I had hair up until I was 70….maybe 60😜

Rick

Left Hand, 

Friday Bacon Boyz Exec 9.  Played like 💩, I’m exaggerating was not even that good.  Lost 2 balls which I haven’t done in a while.  Have no idea score but had 1 decent Bird and one Par (almost bird).

Not playing again until Monday, need to regroup!!!!

Rick

Left Hand, 

25 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

So... you are saying that you are now a "solar-powered sex machine"?  🤣

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

On 2/16/2022 at 7:18 PM, chisag said:

... Always been that way for me too. But my home course here in Phoenix has the most difficult to read greens I have ever played. There are very few flat spots and so much of the greens surface look flat but there are ever so subtle, uneven areas and 2 putts from 10 feet away even 10 inches apart can do 2 different things. One straight and the other breaks a few inches juuuuuust enough to miss the hole. I know all the "tendencies" like which direction it breaks or doesn't break and which are faster or slower but the subtleties are impossible to fully know on just one green let alone all 18. I will say it keeps things interesting even though it can be frustrating at times. 

Our greens can be funky to say the least. You can have grain running 2 or 3 different directions on the same putt. Now we had bad weather for 3 weeks straight so not much play if any at all. Gave them a chance to heal and blossom. They have really came out nice. They cut them tight and rolled them the other day. They are fast plus the grain now does not make difference in the roll. Our greens are in the best shape now that they have been in for 3 years.

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

18 hours ago, Grand Stranded said:

What I do is wrap my hands in a thick towel along with one of those disposable hand warmers between shots while riding. What part of my problem was I only had 2 of the larger ones and carried them in my back pockets the whole time and let the heat radiate up to my lower back. Was more concerned at that point about my back getting stiff and hurting myself more than the feel

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

4 hours ago, Kenny B said:

So... you are saying that you are now a "solar-powered sex machine"?  🤣

Not quite……

Rick

Left Hand, 

Played decent, and if I could make a 3’ putt, I would have shot even. Man I can miss short putts with the best of them.

but I hit the purest 4 UiHi today, that’s possible ever been hit since the beginning of mankind. I mean it WAS AS PURE AS THE DRIVEN SNOW!

it’s why we play the game.

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

First time to a simulator all winter and first actual club swinging since early November. In a word rusty *at firsr*
Warmed up and felt good overall minus the big stick. I was also a good 2 clubs short which I was expected.

First 9 was for sure a scramble and got lucky couple times hitting some putts. Consistently 180+ out made it difficult to do much. I think my longest off the tee was 210.

got into a much better rhythm on the back and felt good about the swing. Was top to bottom hitting much better and distances were getting back to where I would expect this time of year. Couple that with being able to get to the green made for a very nice finish.

are courses open yet 😢

98E327CC-B44F-4D45-8AB2-9C2FB26A7408.jpeg

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

Say, I just noticed I need just one more like to reach 7k…🤐

so did I tell ya about the 4 iron I creamed today? Best contact I’ve ever made on a golf ball… I kept telling my partner the rest of the way in, fortunately for him it was only 2 holes…

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

21 minutes ago, Sluggo42 said:

Say, I just noticed I need just one more like to reach 7k…🤐

so did I tell ya about the 4 iron I creamed today? Best contact I’ve ever made on a golf ball… I kept telling my partner the rest of the way in, fortunately for him it was only 2 holes…

I’m here to help!!  Congratulations on 7K👍
Nice 4 iron😁

Rick

Left Hand, 

10 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

And you know well I have a head full of long dark hair because you have seen me in person

G

We got the email with pairings for my Saturday league tomorrow. We have 48 players and they’re doing something new. Instead of two flights, it will be an A,B and C. The cutoff for the A is now playing at a 11.4 cap so I’m in the “B” flight for the first time ever.

I guess with the combination of advancing age and an influx of younger players joining recently it was bound to happen sooner or later. I’m taking it as a challenge however. I want to get back into the A. It’s not that I mind the group I’m in (we range from 12-18in handicap, I’m a 13.5 right now) what I don’t like is the guy who runs the league has the A flight on the white tees and the B&C playing the green.

It will be completely different playing low net/low gross for me tomorrow than the last few years. Whereas in the A, I rarely won  gross but did really well in net, tomorrow will be the opposite. I’ll most likely need to place in the gross. I’ll also go from one of the “average” distance guys in my flight to one of the longest, and I’ll be playing a shorter course than I normally do. 

It will be an interesting day for sure, and there should be a lot of chirping about this new setup at the bag drop in the morning, much less the clubhouse afterward when the results are announced.

4 hours ago, Lacassem said:

First time to a simulator all winter and first actual club swinging since early November. In a word rusty *at firsr*
Warmed up and felt good overall minus the big stick. I was also a good 2 clubs short which I was expected.

First 9 was for sure a scramble and got lucky couple times hitting some putts. Consistently 180+ out made it difficult to do much. I think my longest off the tee was 210.

got into a much better rhythm on the back and felt good about the swing. Was top to bottom hitting much better and distances were getting back to where I would expect this time of year. Couple that with being able to get to the green made for a very nice finish.

are courses open yet 😢

98E327CC-B44F-4D45-8AB2-9C2FB26A7408.jpeg

Nice bird on #17.  That's a tricky hole!!

58 minutes ago, Grand Stranded said:

We got the email with pairings for my Saturday league tomorrow. We have 48 players and they’re doing something new. Instead of two flights, it will be an A,B and C. The cutoff for the A is now playing at a 11.4 cap so I’m in the “B” flight for the first time ever.

I guess with the combination of advancing age and an influx of younger players joining recently it was bound to happen sooner or later. I’m taking it as a challenge however. I want to get back into the A. It’s not that I mind the group I’m in (we range from 12-18in handicap, I’m a 13.5 right now) what I don’t like is the guy who runs the league has the A flight on the white tees and the B&C playing the green.

It will be completely different playing low net/low gross for me tomorrow than the last few years. Whereas in the A, I rarely won  gross but did really well in net, tomorrow will be the opposite. I’ll most likely need to place in the gross. I’ll also go from one of the “average” distance guys in my flight to one of the longest, and I’ll be playing a shorter course than I normally do. 

It will be an interesting day for sure, and there should be a lot of chirping about this new setup at the bag drop in the morning, much less the clubhouse afterward when the results are announced.

Go get 'em!!  Low gross!!

6 hours ago, Grand Stranded said:

It has been so long since I have played up your way I can hardly remember specifics there. Now at Indigo I have noticed this. from the Yellow Senior tees to the Green Super Senior tees it is a whole different golf course. Not only distance wise but angle wise especially the dog legs. When I play the persimmon woods I play the super senior tees. Seriously honestly now I only hit a persimmon driver about 195 or 200 yards . A metal driver I hit about 220 225 maybe a tad more with rollout. If playing persimmon it is a little long for me from the yellow tees. But sometimes for kicks and giggles and not really worrying about scores I will play the yellow tees with persimmon. Iron distances for me are the same between my regular VIP blades versus my 1962 FC-4000s. The lofts are the same between the same sets so no real issues there. I think what really helped us the other week when it was so cold. With limited ball flight my drives with the metals was about where they would be from the Yellow tees with the persimmon. In persimmon play a lot of shots set up with the 2 wood. With my modern stuff it is a 3 wood set up> I hit the old 2 wood maybe 5 yards less than I hit the metal one. With all that going on it did not rattle me in the least. I have a bud of mine who has the software that does my handicaps. I do not keep a GHIN for reasons of integrity. I do not play "conforming" equipment as a norm. My old irons have not been tested and "approved". I keep a so called handicap for my own personal edification. I actually keep 2 separate ones One for my regular front line stuff and a vintage one. I do not play in the Mens leagues because at a 5 hdcp I would still be playing for now from the yellow tees and those guys play from the Green Tees. With their inflated sandbagging handicaps they would kill me. They play for money too and I am not scared to gamble ( not high stakes anymore) but I am not giving money away. I have offered to play them from the green tees off a 5 hitting the Persimmon woods and no they do not want any of that. But there is hope. A couple of the better honest players are wanting to split off the main groups and we are talking about doing our own thing not really a league but just making games and playing for like maybe a $1 or $5 with a $10 maybe $20 cap. We may be getting up our smaller group. I know over at Indian Wells before they closed there were a couple of splinter groups that played and anyone could play and they made games with no handicap involved and everyone was happy. 

G

8 hours ago, Kenny B said:

Nice bird on #17.  That's a tricky hole!!

Almost drove it to the green! Crap wedge…..made the putt 😂

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

8 hours ago, Kenny B said:

So, my wife and I walked.  I had to try out my new arrival this week... the Tour Edge C721 hybrid in a 17º flavor; the 2021 MGS Most Wanted Hybrid.  Pretty club!!  I can see why the testers liked it.  It's legit.  I might have to get a 4H to go with it, or wait a couple of weeks when the C722 comes out.

Great looking clubs indeed!

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game