MmmmmmBuddy

How'd you play?

Our Sponsors

9 hours ago, cksurfdude said:

So I've seen a number of posts in here that start out with something like: "..a tale of two nines". Well... now I know what they mean! 

Played 18 about a week and a half ago but forgot to post .. maybe I wanted to forget, literally, about the back nine? (..ha ha ha...) .. in the past my 18 hole rounds have typically been a mix of ok and not so ok on each hole; with scores typically mid-90s but have had rounds of 90, 91, 92 but then too often more hi-90s rounds.

Drove about 50 minutes East to where we could get a last-minute tee time; funny thing is I thought it was a new-to-us course but we get there and my wife says, "Hmm, this place looks familiar" .. sure enough, we'd played there two or three seasons ago, and unfortunately I remembered not liking it so much... It's one of those courses built around a community, so at one point there's a looooong stretch of path going past houses and crossing a road to get to a section of 4 or 5 holes followed by that same looooong stretch back to the finishing set of holes..... I didn't remember people walking last time we were there, so we took a cart (plus my wife likes walking 9 but not 18 soooo..).

Anyway, I put all that stuff aside and play up front with my wife and just try to hit nice shots into the fairway and towards the green. First tee shot a low runner but into the fairway and in the right direction; second shot a bit thin and right but good distance left me pin-high uphill on the outside edge of a very wide fringe .. 3-putt bogey. OK, not worried, always have trouble adapting to faster/more sloped greens vs the munis I usually play on.

Next hole, short Par 3, managed a par; third hole, short par 4, decent bogey; fourth hole, another Par 3, missed the green just to the right but got up & down for another par.
(Hmmm .. we're almost playing real golf here!)

Fifth hole, Par 5, a careful tee shot into the fairway followed by a good enough layup to a good position just over 100 out from a front pin - and I've got a good shot at it, as the green is open in the direction I'm hitting but fronted by mounds and bunkers along the left going uphill around the larger part of the green, thick rough on an upslope behind and water a short distance to the right.

And as I'm standing over the ball sizing up my shot, waiting for one of our playing partners to finish his, I comment to my wife.. "Hey, I remember being in almost this very same spot after putting a few balls into that water right there trying to get up here!"

Guess what happens next, on my straightforward 100 yd basically no obstacle shot?

Yep. Splash! 
d'oh... 

Finished with a Triple. Followed up by a Double with another 3-putt. But... followed by two pars and a bogey on the Par 5 #9 after a mis-hit off the tee; for a Front 9 of +8 (Par 36), or .. as I like to call it .. "1-under bogey golf" 😆  Which I think was pretty good for me, on that course (slope rating 121 from the front tees), especially considering those two high-scoring holes.

On to #10..
..another short Par 4, another good enough tee shot into the fairway, another "almost" second missed the green but I pulled off another up & down for a par .. yea! 

From here, things fell apart. Not sure exactly what I "had" and then "lost", or what was "on" and then switched "off", but I started missing tee shots or putting them into trouble spots and .. the somewhat comical thing is .. I hit like EACH AND EVERY bunker on the rest of the back 9 .. TWICE!! Not entirely kidding here! - several bunkers I duffed the first attempt and had to do it all over again... (fwiw a few times I gave myself a lift/smooth out the deep footprints I was in/drop)

Several high-scoring holes and somehow three bogeys later...

..we're on #18 and I say, "OK, let's try to finish in style."

I hit a good tee shot down the right side but didn't see it bounce and/or roll to the right into a fairway bunker. From there I was just trying to lay up short of the green - ended up catching it "clean" and ball flew past my layup spot into the bunkers to the left of the green .. where I duffed the first attempt and left it plugged deep in very soft sand in the steep front face of the bunker under an overhanging lip... Punch it out, putt uphill over a ridge, left it short .. 3-putt... Oh, gee, almost forgot - first tee shot on #18 went way waaay left towards the OB fence; it was far enough away from where we were headed I just called it OB and re-tee'ed to yield me a grand total of 9 on the closing hole. Ouch.

Back 9 total +21 (Par 35).
Or: 2.625 times more strokes than the Front 9.
Or, as I don't like to call it 😆 .. "way too many over bogey golf"... 

Hey there's always next time!

Yeah... OK... but what did Lisa shoot??   Inquiring minds...

• Like 3

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Saturday was the last day for me at the MGS PNW Golf outing.  Again we played Circling Raven GC but the weather changed overnight; overcast 10º cooler and wind was up, maybe 15-20 mph.  We started on time, but the starter said there were a bunch of people out in front of us that had never played CR before.  You can get into some bad spots, if you don't know where to NOT hit the ball.  I knew, and still hit some of them!  The round lasted over 5 hours!!

I finally got my driver going a little better; not great , but better.  I hit 9/14 fairways and nothing horrible, but only hit 6 greens.  Putting was not great either... 33 putts.  However, after being in 6 bunkers on Friday, I missed them all on Saturday!!  I did manage one loooooong birdie putt.  

So, I hit more fairways than Friday; missed all the bunkers I hit on Friday; got a birdie that I didn't have on Friday, and shot the same damn score... 87!!!!!!!

The MGS outing this year was a lot of fun, and I hope we can do it again next year.  Hopefully, we won't have a virus to contend with.

• Like 9

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Weird weird weekend for me.

Friday I had to have our Golden Retriever put down.  He'd been deaf for well over a year, several lumps on him, was looking increasingly thin no matter how much we fed him, and over the last 3-4 days I'd been having to carry him up the 3 steps from the backyard into the house.  He was 9...vet said he looked about 13 and he agreed it was time.  5 military moves in 9 years might have taken a toll on him.

Then Saturday, my mind not being totally wrapped up in golf, I went and shot a personal best 75!  67% GIR, with the putter holding me back from a really great round (33 putts). Today, new personal best 74, 67% GIR, 34 putts.  If I can just get the flatstick to warm up...

And after two awesome rounds, I came home and my dog wasn't there...downer.

Sorry all, weird post I know.  Weird weekend.

Willow Lakes 27 Jun 20.png

Shoreline 28 Jun 20.png

• Like 9

Currently testing the Honma TR20 460 driver!

Driver: :callaway-small:Great Big Bertha Epic, 10.5, Project X HZRDOUS 55g Stiff

FW: :tour-edge: CBX 119 3w, 15,  Project X Evenflow Blue 75g Stiff

Hybrid::tour-edge:CBX 119 3H, 18, Project X Evenflow Blue 85g Stiff

Driving Iron: :mizuno-small: MP-20 HMB 3i, UST Mamiya recoil ES 780 F3

Iron: :mizuno-small:JPX 919 Forged 4- GW, Project X 6.0

Wedges::vokey-small:SM7 54 S Grind, 58 M Grind

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: California Monterey 1.5, Superstroke Flatso 1.0 grip

:SuperSpeed:

Friday I had to have our Golden Retriever put down.  He'd been deaf for well over a year, several lumps on him, was looking increasingly thin no matter how much we fed him, and over the last 3-4 days I'd been having to carry him up the 3 steps from the backyard into the house.  He was 9...vet said he looked about 13 and he agreed it was time.  5 military moves in 9 years might have taken a toll on him.
Then Saturday, my mind not being totally wrapped up in golf, I went and shot a personal best 75!  67% GIR, with the putter holding me back from a really great round (33 putts). Today, new personal best 74, 67% GIR, 34 putts.  If I can just get the flatstick to warm up...

1730528673_WillowLakes27Jun20.png.3a1f049e77f676951e94392a8c5646a3.png
1684289026_Shoreline28Jun20.png.c01b3231a05ed83a026282018062a474.png

Can’t really like this post but really sorry to hear about your Golden Retriever, dogs become family.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 5

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Ping G410 Plus

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead

Irons; Ping G410 5-SW & Mizno 919 Hot Metal 5-SW

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Just now, Rickp said:

Can’t really like this post but really sorry to hear about your Golden Retriever, dogs become family.

Thanks man

• Like 2

Driver: :callaway-small:Great Big Bertha Epic, 10.5, Project X HZRDOUS 55g Stiff

7 minutes ago, Rickp said:

I liked to acknowledge but agree,  wanted to send a smile for the round and a sad for the dog.  

• Like 4

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* with UST Proforce V2
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :srixon-small: 765 6-AW with KBS Tour shafts
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Ten S      Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I liked to acknowledge but agree,  wanted to send a smile for the round and a sad for the dog.  

Exactly what I was trying to do.

• Like 2

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Ping G410 Plus

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

3 minutes ago, cnosil said:

2 minutes ago, Rickp said:

Exactly what I was trying to do.

I know, sorry guys, awkward post but just figured I'd share, give some context, explains why I shot the two best rounds of my golfing career and I'm not jumping out of my seat ecstatic.  Does make me wonder if I played so well because my mind was elsewhere, wasn't overthinking things and getting in my own head...

• Like 3

I know, sorry guys, awkward post but just figured I'd share, give some context, explains why I shot the two best rounds of my golfing career and I'm not jumping out of my seat ecstatic.  Does make me wonder if I played so well because my mind was elsewhere, wasn't overthinking things and getting in my own head...

No problem, all of us with dogs/cats that become family know how you feel.

• Like 5

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Ping G410 Plus

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

15 hours ago, Rickp said:

Played last 3 holes with a Sirxon “found” Soft Feel and was absolutely killin it. Who knew

Hmmm .. I have a few of those, will have to give them a try!

• Like 1

WITB of an "aspiring" 😉 play-ah ...
..Tour Edge Exotics EXS 3W/HL (17*; Tensei CK Blue)
..Tour Edge Exotics EXS 7W (Tensei CK Blue)
..Callaway Big Bertha 4H (Recoil ZTR)
..Tour Edge HL4 #4 iron-wood (UST Mamiya)
..Callaway Big Bertha CF19 6i (Recoil ZTR) / Apex CF16 7i-PW (Recoil ES 760)
..Hogan Equalizer 50/54/58 black (Recoil ES 760 black SmacWrap)
..Evnroll ER5 (33", 385g)
..all in a Datrek Hybrid bag on a Bag Boy Quad XL push cart.

Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator...
https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/39526-2020-official-member-review-exputt-putting-simulator/page/1/#comments

Great weekend of golf. Got out friday afternoon and shot 80 while playing very quickly. 75 on Saturday, which is a personal best at my home course. 76 on Sunday at Dinosaur Mountain, which was on my bucketlist to play. Great course. 

• Like 5

• Driver: :ping-small: G410 Plus 9*, Tensei Orange 60X
  • Hybrids::adams-small:  Super XTD 17* Hybrid Fubuki AX:callaway-small:,  Apex 20* Hybrid, AD-DI 85S
  • Irons: :srixon-small: U85 4I AD DI 95S, Z585 5-6, Z785 7-PW, Modus 120s
  • Wedges: :ping-small:: Glide 3.0 52, Modus 120x:taylormade-small:, Hi Toe 56 & 60, Modus 120x
  • Putter: :EVNROLL:  ER3 @ 33"
  • RH in Phoenix, AZ

14 hours ago, Kenny B said:

Yeah... OK... but what did Lisa shoot??   Inquiring minds...

Not so great on the first hole - she still has two mental hurdles she needs to work through = getting nervous playing with other men, especially if they "look" like they're good golfers and they're hitting from the back tees; plus not "letting go" and moving on to the next shot if her tee shot is not a good one. After #1 she started loosening up and hitting the ball better, but her putting was off and that was frustrating her a bit. Then somehow on #10 she badly strained her lower back and chose to sit out the rest of the round (and enjoy watching me struggle😝).

• Like 6

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/39526-2020-official-member-review-exputt-putting-simulator/page/1/#comments

14 hours ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Not at all! My sympathies... And Congrats! on your great score!

There are plenty of dog-crazy, and even a few cat-crazy, golfers in here so be totally comfortable sharing that .. and hopefully doing so makes it a tiny bit more bearable. I grew up with dogs, had an adopted (dog-like) cat for years and then got married later in life to a wonderful woman with 3 (THREE!!) kids and a Golden - loved that guy and used to take him for long walks every day, but unfortunately he developed an unnoticed stomach cancer (this guy ate EVERYTHING! ..I can tell you stories...) and died quickly at age 7....

Now we've got two big, happy, dopey black dogs and when either one them goes I won't be able to even think about golf the next day, much less set a PB...................

• Like 6

Hmmm .. I have a few of those, will have to give them a try!

Played Soft Feel this morning, the magic is gone. Par 1st hole and bogey next 8 holes.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Ping G410 Plus

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

16 hours ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Shoreline 28 Jun 20.png

I’ve been in your shoes with dogs like that. Never easy, my sympathy goes out to you. 

Great job in the PB!!! Crazy how NOT thinking about golf helps to shoot a better score.

Golf is hard but I love it. 

Love the compassion and camaraderie that this forum has too. Definitely one of the best forums, regardless of subject matter, that I have ever been a member of. 

• Like 5

:callaway-small: FT Optiforce 460 10.5*

:callaway-small: FT Optiforce 3W, 5W

:callaway-small: X2 Hot 5-PW

:callaway-small: MD4 52/56/60

:odyssey-small: White Hot RX #7

:taylormade-small: TP5

3 minutes ago, ParFore74x said:

I’ve been in your shoes with dogs like that. Never easy, my sympathy goes out to you. 

Great job in the PB!!! Crazy how NOT thinking about golf helps to shoot a better score.

Golf is hard but I love it. 

Love the compassion and camaraderie that this forum has too. Definitely one of the best forums, regardless of subject matter, that I have ever been a member of. 

Thank you, and I completely agree...great vibe on this forum.  Everyone seems to generally want to help everyone else play better.

• Like 5

21 hours ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Shoreline 28 Jun 20.png

I cried like a baby when I had to send my Golden over the bridge....

same with the two after that... it’s never a good thing, but the Tragic responsible task for the owner. Ughhh

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Currently testing for review:

:Hogan: Combo iron set -8,9,per Icon 5,6,7 PtxPro 4-UiHi

:ping-small: G400 LSTec driver 10° on Aldila X-Torsion Stiff

:callaway-small: 816 Alpha 3-wood 15° On Aldila Rogue Stiff

:callaway-small: 815 GBB Alpha hybrid 19° On Fujikura Speeder 865 Stiff

:benhogan-small: Ptx Pro 5-P irons on KBS Tour V 110 S

:benhogan-small: Equalizer 50°, 54°, 60° wedges on recoil 780 StifF

:EVNROLL: ER3 34”

:titelist-small: ProV1x

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 shoes

I hate to say it, but just the thought of my dear doggy Tyler’s passing, STILL chokes me up, after 14 years... cool thing- when it happened, and the next day at work, one of my staff came into my office early in the morn and asked what was up. And when I told him in my choked up way, he Immediately went out and apparently instructed the entire staff that NO one was to come in and bother me... they all understood the bond of man and his dog... geeeezzz, I’m all choked up now...

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Currently testing for review:

:Hogan: Combo iron set -8,9,per Icon 5,6,7 PtxPro 4-UiHi

:ping-small: G400 LSTec driver 10° on Aldila X-Torsion Stiff

:callaway-small: 816 Alpha 3-wood 15° On Aldila Rogue Stiff

:callaway-small: 815 GBB Alpha hybrid 19° On Fujikura Speeder 865 Stiff

:benhogan-small: Ptx Pro 5-P irons on KBS Tour V 110 S

:benhogan-small: Equalizer 50°, 54°, 60° wedges on recoil 780 StifF

:EVNROLL: ER3 34”

:titelist-small: ProV1x

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 shoes

22 hours ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Shoreline 28 Jun 20.png

Just went through my first pup having to be put down (way to early) over the winter. Glad you had golf to “get away” for a bit and just play.

my son still brings it up occasionally “I miss Henry dad” very non-Chalant and not to choked up just catches up to him I think. Kills me that’s for sure. Never easy but 🙌 for the PB

• Like 3

Check out my reviews

:ping-small: G710 Irons Lacassem official review

:taylormade-small: FlexTech is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos::

:titelist-small: TS2 9.5 Project X HZRDUS Smoke 60g 

:taylormade-small: SIM 3W (15*) Project X HZRDUS Green 70g

:adams-small: 2H VST Super Idea S Matrix Kujoh S-Flex

:taylormade-small: 2019 P790 4-PW Project X 6.5 LZ 

:cleveland-small: 50, 54, 58 CBX2  Nippon Modus 125 VS :titelist-small: 52, 56, 60 SM7 Nippon Modus 125

:odyssey-small: O-Works 1W

:titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Bushnell Tour V3 Jolt

🇺🇸Thank you to all those that have served/are serving and God Bless America 🇺🇸