TESTERS WANTED! ×

How'd you play?

MmmmmmBuddy

20 hours ago, bens197 said:

I played so well today for the first 6 holes.  I had my perfunctory opening hole bogey followed by 5 straight pars.  

Then I got a call from work on the 7th regarding a personnel matter and I proceeded to go double, par, bogey, par, triple, bogey, bogey, bogey, par, double, par, birdie.  

The final hole birdie was a nice and easy 7 iron from 160 into a slight crosswind and made a 15 footer to close it out.  

40/43 which is still OK...just lost my focus out there.  Oh well, it happens.  

It was a gorgeous day outside today.  

Yup, every time the wife texts about something, my game instantly blows up for a few holes, depending on the amount of drama…

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

Played with my old buddy yesterday afternoon. He plays in some competitions which forces him to play from the black tees, so we played there. I shot a pretty clean 76, in spite of the extra length, which basically means my longer irons were in play a bit more. Soooo, kudos to my new irons again, the p770’s are working! Not to mention no 3 putts either. That’s very helpful too

Got out at dawn for a fast 18. Felt like I didn't hit the ball great but went 39-41 with 1 double, no birdies. Drive was fine other than 1 smother hook, irons were off as I only hit 6 greens, chipping was amazing kept me in it, and putting was ok. Still 31 putts, but moving back in the right direction with the SeeMore.

Also a question for all the spies - The last 36 holes I played it seems like the pins are on knobs or the cup is all mounded up. I'm sure I'm not the only one to experience this, but here's basically the scenario I'm talking about. Say you have left to right 8 footer you need to aim 2-3 inches outside the cup. What's been consistently happening is that if you play the break it doesn't move, but if you just hit it straight, then it snaps off at then end the 2-3 inches. 

I get that most of the time some bad pins are attributed to the fact that the guy setting them isn't a golfer, just a grunt on the grounds crew. Like they're just told the general positions, middle left, front right, and they pick a spot and set them. But when all 18 holes are touchy putts like this, that has to be intentional. 

What do you spies do on days like this? Why does this happen? What purpose does this serve? Do courses just assume everyone has a big gimmie range?

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

First day of the member member. Playing off an 8, today was 90% capped. Started off with great shots but had my first tee shot barely roll out of the fairway into the rough which cost me and on hole 2 I missed the fairway by 3 inches which cost me again since the rough is still so thick so instead of likely starting out even I was +2. The I ripped off 5 pars in a row. Finished the front with a 39. But the stretch from 8-13 was brutal. I even topped a tee shot on 10. I kept it together playing bogey golf outside of 13 where I doubled. Played up and down after that for a few pars and finished the back with a 43. I blew a major putt on 18 for par but it really started because of how bad I missed my birdie putt. I just lost it straight right off a hill and left myself in a bad spot. Outside of the back really pleased with how I played with a 82 net 75 considering we are tied for 8th going in to the second day. My partner didn’t do me any favors with a 93 net 82. He’s been holding out putting in his scores picking and choosing the ones he adds. He was playing off an 11 today… but it should be closer to a 16. It was stableford best ball and tomorrow is 2 of 2 best ball. Hoping for the best!

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

3 hours ago, DiscipleofPenick said:

Got out at dawn for a fast 18. Felt like I didn't hit the ball great but went 39-41 with 1 double, no birdies. Drive was fine other than 1 smother hook, irons were off as I only hit 6 greens, chipping was amazing kept me in it, and putting was ok. Still 31 putts, but moving back in the right direction with the SeeMore.

Also a question for all the spies - The last 36 holes I played it seems like the pins are on knobs or the cup is all mounded up. I'm sure I'm not the only one to experience this, but here's basically the scenario I'm talking about. Say you have left to right 8 footer you need to aim 2-3 inches outside the cup. What's been consistently happening is that if you play the break it doesn't move, but if you just hit it straight, then it snaps off at then end the 2-3 inches. 

I get that most of the time some bad pins are attributed to the fact that the guy setting them isn't a golfer, just a grunt on the grounds crew. Like they're just told the general positions, middle left, front right, and they pick a spot and set them. But when all 18 holes are touchy putts like this, that has to be intentional. 

What do you spies do on days like this? Why does this happen? What purpose does this serve? Do courses just assume everyone has a big gimmie range?

It’s the grunt worker who doesn’t tamp them down properly, because he doesn’t know better. That’s why they’re all the same. Annoying isn’t it?

33 minutes ago, Sluggo42 said:

It’s the grunt worker who doesn’t tamp them down properly, because he doesn’t know better. That’s why they’re all the same. Annoying isn’t it?

Most pin/hole placements are that way with little Volcanoes around them.  I believe the workers don’t know proper procedures.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

44 minutes ago, Rickp said:

Most pin/hole placements are that way with little Volcanoes around them.  I believe the workers don’t know proper procedures.

I say the same thing because it reminds me of those volcanoes we made in elementary school with the baking soda and vinegar. 

Take Dead Aim

6 minutes ago, DiscipleofPenick said:

I say the same thing because it reminds me of those volcanoes we made in elementary school with the baking soda and vinegar. 

Yup, that’s what they remind of!

Rick

Left Hand, 

5 hours ago, DiscipleofPenick said:

Fortunately I don't have that issue at my course. They roll the greens after every mow and pin change location. Even if it is someone inexperienced placing the cups, the rolling after fixes everything. I do see this when playing other courses. I believe everyone is correct when they say it is inexperienced  people in charge of changing pin locations. They pull the grass plug out and put the cup in without tamping down around the cup. 

I would mention it to the the course superintendent. This lack of proper maintenance can easily add strokes to your game and its not good for the green. If you get the I don't care attitude, I would find a another course to play. 

There is a course near me that has the same problem. I don't go there unless I have to (tournment, my course has an outing or something). It is less than 4 miles from my house and I only wind up there one or twice a season. 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

On 5/28/2022 at 6:09 PM, Kenny B said:

I had a good swing, then lost it.  

Last season when @Rickp lost his swing, I found it for him. Since Rick is now recovering from his surgery, I'm sure he will let you borrow it. The good news is when Rick gets better it's a swing for two.

IMG-1703.jpg.88b94a6a46822f51cf968dc854ad2bac.jpg

7 hours ago, DiscipleofPenick said:

I have played courses with some poorly seated holes/cups that tend to have a slight crown. Not much to do about it while in play, but saying something to the pro shop would seem the best course of action.  I have heard that in hard freeze regions, water under the hole can freeze up and cause the issue.  It may have looked like a perfect install the prior evening.  Fortunately this seems to be infrequent.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

10 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

Haven't played since Monday and my warmup today wasn't the best as I was still stiff and sore from yard work the day before.  First 6 holes:  DB, Par, DB, Par, DB, Par; then rattled off a bunch of pars a few bogies and one birdie on the par 5 #13.  Finished with an 82; not unhappy, but eliminating a few stoopid shots would have made me happier.

This is all theatre in attempt to get Chris and I to let our guard down.  Ali called it "rope-a-dope" and we're not falling for it.

31 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

This is all theatre in attempt to get Chris and I to let our guard down.  Ali called it "rope-a-dope" and we're not falling for it.

OK, not posting any play until July.  😎

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

3 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

They pull the grass plug out and put the cup in without tamping down around the cup. 

... More often it is golfers, especially those "waist challenged" that step right next to the cup to extract their ball. Many munis don't change pin positions every day and then it gets even worse. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

3 hours ago, Yellow Ball said:

Last season when @Rickp lost his swing, I found it for him. Since Rick is now recovering from his surgery, I'm sure he will let you borrow it. The good news is when Rick gets better it's a swing for two.

IMG-1703.jpg.88b94a6a46822f51cf968dc854ad2bac.jpg

Definitely can borrow my swing while I’m on the IL.  Problem is it’s not that great to begin with 

Rick

Left Hand, 

I didn't feel like playing today but we had some help to sit with the parents so I took the opportunity to get out for a round with the wife.  I had the necessary energy on the front with a 39 but i managed to sleepwalk through the back to a 50.  Oh well, at least the weather was nice.

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

@Tom the Golf Nut @fixyurdivot @chisag This was at a muni I've played several times before and the first time I've had this happen. Unfortunately I don't have access to a club, but I played a tournament at one last Thursday and it was so nice to actually have all my putts do exactly what I read (or at least under read). I always thought this resulted from a combination of a course not moving their pins often enough and those waist challenged or seasoned golfers stepping too close to the hole and/or digging the ball out with the putter. The course I called home for the last few years moved their pins once a week, so I'd play Sat & Sun with the pins in the same position, Sunday was usually a bit tougher putting. 

I am in Cleveland, OH so we are a hard freeze region, though we are beyond that now. It did get cool overnight and was in the low 50s when I teed off at 6:15 AM. The course was also wetter than I expected as it's been a few days since we had rain and there was some squish in the low spots. The greens still had a heavy dew on them. So I see the point that this could have affected the seating of the cups as well. 

I understand that nothing can be done during play, it just sucks to lose strokes due to poor course maintenance and something that shouldn't even be an issue. Also gets frustrating to never see your putts drop for two rounds. The other round on Memorial Day was at a different muni, but I posted already about the problems I had there. I am trying to be choosier with the courses I play now that I don't have a "home" course, and I'm not in a position where I can join a club. Just gotta keep working on it and avoid places where this keeps happening.

Take Dead Aim

30 minutes ago, DiscipleofPenick said:

@Tom the Golf Nut @fixyurdivot @chisag This was at a muni I've played several times before and the first time I've had this happen. Unfortunately I don't have access to a club, but I played a tournament at one last Thursday and it was so nice to actually have all my putts do exactly what I read (or at least under read). I always thought this resulted from a combination of a course not moving their pins often enough and those waist challenged or seasoned golfers stepping too close to the hole and/or digging the ball out with the putter. The course I called home for the last few years moved their pins once a week, so I'd play Sat & Sun with the pins in the same position, Sunday was usually a bit tougher putting. 

I am in Cleveland, OH so we are a hard freeze region, though we are beyond that now. It did get cool overnight and was in the low 50s when I teed off at 6:15 AM. The course was also wetter than I expected as it's been a few days since we had rain and there was some squish in the low spots. The greens still had a heavy dew on them. So I see the point that this could have affected the seating of the cups as well. 

I understand that nothing can be done during play, it just sucks to lose strokes due to poor course maintenance and something that shouldn't even be an issue. Also gets frustrating to never see your putts drop for two rounds. The other round on Memorial Day was at a different muni, but I posted already about the problems I had there. I am trying to be choosier with the courses I play now that I don't have a "home" course, and I'm not in a position where I can join a club. Just gotta keep working on it and avoid places where this keeps happening.

If you haven't already done so, speak to the pro shop about it.  One would think if the crowning was that bad others would tell them but lots of folks just don't want to take the time... probably just not enough discerning spies playing it 🙂.

29 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

If you haven't already done so, speak to the pro shop about it.  One would think if the crowning was that bad others would tell them but lots of folks just don't want to take the time... probably just not enough discerning spies playing it 🙂.

I'm sure that's part of it, guys don't care or guys have an overly generous gimmie zone so they don't notice. I've had chats with the pro before so he seems approachable. If it's the same next time I'm there I will say something.

Take Dead Aim

6 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

... Never hurts to try but it can also be useless because when run by a park district they often are not golfers and just don't care. At one of my home courses back in Chicago the Pro's had a big money game every Wednesday afternoon and put pins in ridiculous spots. I wrote to the General Mgr but found out he played in the money game so his "thanks for your input and I will look into it" made me think he should be in politics. I wrote to the Head of the Park District that I knew because our boys played football together although he was not a golfer but he put a stop to it when I let him know I played with a family celebrating their Dads birthday and it was the first time on the course and they were very unhappy as they were all high index players and 4 and 5 putted many greens because of the insane pins. He told the Pro/GM they were lucky to keep their jobs and it never happened again. To say my relationship with the Head Pro turned frosty was an understatement but his hands were tied and he had to maintain a fake smile when we ran into each other. If I did not know the Head of the PD they would probably still be playing that money game with very frustrated paying muni customers. 

... Otoh one of my other home courses was run by guys that put their customers first and would take every complaint seriously. Ya just never know. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

5 minutes ago, edingc said:

Rained out this morning, but the worst part is that I was asked to play Arcadia Bluffs tomorrow morning, all expenses paid. Can't get away from work at the moment. The universe is definitely not in my favor at the moment! 

Oh man, that's just cruel!!!

Right Handed

Driver: 9° :cobra-small: Speedzone (HZRDUS Smoke Green 70g X-Stiff shaft)

2 Hybrid: 18° :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

3/Driving Iron: 18° :Hogan: UiHi Iron (MMT Utility TX 105g shaft)

Irons: 4-GW :titelist-small: T100 irons (Nippon Modus 120 X-Stiff shafts) (2021 MGS Official Review here)

Wedges: 54° & 58° post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TSW Forged (Dynamic Gold S300)

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B (2019 MGS Official Review here)

Ball: MAXFLI Tour X

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

WITB thread here

17 minutes ago, edingc said:

Bit of a disappointing week. I did get out Memorial Weekend for a 9 and two 18s - shot 40, 79, 82. My short game is the savior of my game right now, and I finally did get a lesson scheduled for later this month to hopefully help the rest. The 82 on Monday morning was particularly frustrating, I came to No. 16 one-under on the back and once again my driver let me down - finishing double, triple, bogey on the final tree holes with awful tee shots being the cause. 

I was supposed to play Tuesday, and then play in both flights of an all-day scramble Wednesday but had some emergency stuff come up at work beginning Memorial Day afternoon that dragged on all week. Had to miss all of my scheduled rounds (super bummed about the scramble) and a planned day off to spend with my wife for our anniversary.

Walked 9 yesterday morning and shot a 39, with a triple bogey. Had a bad three-putt for bogey also, but chipped in for a birdie on No. 15 and then hit a good drive and a great wedge to three-feet for a birdie on No. 16. 

Rained out this morning, but the worst part is that I was asked to play Arcadia Bluffs tomorrow morning, all expenses paid. Can't get away from work tomorrow. The universe is definitely not in my favor at the moment! 

I feel ya! Wasn’t invited anywhere but things keep popping up preventing the play! Hope things flip for ya!

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

29 minutes ago, edingc said:

Rained out this morning, but the worst part is that I was asked to play Arcadia Bluffs tomorrow morning, all expenses paid. Can't get away from work tomorrow. The universe is definitely not in my favor at the moment! 

I hate to hear that, Cody. It's a shame you can't get away from work tomorrow to go. The stars will eventually line up for you, I have a feeling with all the work you've put in that this will be a great golf season for you. 

41 minutes ago, edingc said:

Bit of a disappointing week. I did get out Memorial Weekend for a 9 and two 18s - shot 40, 79, 82. My short game is the savior of my game right now, and I finally did get a lesson scheduled for later this month to hopefully help the rest. The 82 on Monday morning was particularly frustrating, I came to No. 16 one-under on the back and once again my driver let me down - finishing double, triple, bogey on the final tree holes with awful tee shots being the cause. 

I was supposed to play Tuesday, and then play in both flights of an all-day scramble Wednesday but had some emergency stuff come up at work beginning Memorial Day afternoon that dragged on all week. Had to miss all of my scheduled rounds (super bummed about the scramble) and a planned day off to spend with my wife for our anniversary.

Walked 9 yesterday morning and shot a 39, with a triple bogey. Had a bad three-putt for bogey also, but chipped in for a birdie on No. 15 and then hit a good drive and a great wedge to three-feet for a birdie on No. 16. 

I’d quit work.  There is nothing that should stop you from enjoying life.  I’m about there myself.  Haha.