Our Sponsors

Played in league last night and decided I wasn't going to hold back with driver.  Had wedges into most greens and hit 4/7 fairways with the 3 misses being only a step or two into the rough.  I now know that I need to improve my wedge game.  Made a triple on a par 3 after getting stuck under a tree after an awful tee shot.  More range time/ course time coming on Saturday.  Determined to play well more than once this year

• Like 8

WITB

Driver: Titleist TS2 10.5º w/ Diamana DF 60 TX

3 Wood: Titleist 915F 16.5º w/ Diamana Blueboard

Hybrids: PXG 0317X 17º w/ Even Flow

Titleist 816 H1 21º & 25º w/ Diamana Blueboard

Irons (6-PW): Srixon 765 w/ Project X LZ

Wedges: 50º Ping Glide, 54º & 60º PXG 0311

Putter: Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Masterful Tourtype SSS CT A048277

• Replies 15.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Today was a good day.  First hole in one ever.  50° Cobra King wedge from 120 yards.  Hit just past the hole and spun back in. Shot 73 to tie my lowest round ever. Won my match 8 and 6

****Alert ***** Alert!******Alert!****** sluggo shoots a new PB today !!!!!!!!!!!   -4.......    67. .......    -4. .....    67!   ..... It was a Great day to say the least, and the o

I got a hole in one on the first hole today. Makes for a really enjoyable round. Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Posted Images

So yesterday was my “return” to golf. It’s been a rough time the last few weeks, for reasons I talked about last week. So how did it go?

Well, to start off, I overslept and had to rush to make my tee time in our Tuesday members league. 😳 Took a couple of air swings on the first tee, and my first actual swing was a drive right down the middle. Misclubbed my second shot and came up short, but got up and down for par. Yay!

Missed a 18 inch putt on two, and didn’t really hit a solid iron shot until the 7th hole. Then something clicked and I hit the ball as well as I can the rest of the round. There were some mistakes around the green, and I got a little over my skis at times, trying shots I really shouldn’t have. I pulled a few of them off, but the ones I didn’t led to a case of double bogey-itis. My putting wasn’t bad, but I missed quite a few birdie putts, which would’ve made up for some of those dumb decisions.

Long story short, I shot a 43-41 for an 84. I was really happy with the way I played overall, although doubling the last holes of each 9 was a bit deflating. I went into the round with low expectations, and as is often the case when I do that, I shot a surprisingly good score first time back.

The forecast doesn’t look great the rest of the week, but I’m hoping to play again tomorrow with some neighbors, and Friday with a really competitive travel group. It’s feels great to look forward to golf again!

• Like 9

:ping-small: G400 Max 9* Alta Reg

:callaway-small: Epic Flash 15* Evenflow 5.0

:cobra-small: F9 19* & 21* Atmos Black Reg

PXG 0211 5-GW (23*-48*) MMT 70

:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 52-F (bent to 53*) & 58- M

:titelist-small: :scotty-small: Newport 2.0 33.5"

:titelist-small: Hybrid 5 stand bag

So, after shooting +1 over my handicap over a 3 day tournament, I went out today and shot 10 over the same handicap in one day!  Just felt out of sync and sorts all day.  Ball striking was awful from driving to chipping.  Didn't make a par until #9.  An "oh well" 88 posted.  Better days ahead!  Of course, my playing partner wasn't thrilled with my play either as we were routed in our weekly game of high/low ball.

• Like 8
  • Sad 1

Driver: :ping-small: G400 Max 9 degree Alta CB55 Stiff shaft 

Hybrids: :taylormade-small: M6 --- 3 (19 degrees), 4 (22 degrees), and 5 (25 degrees) Atmos shaft R

Irons: :callaway-small:Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW KBS Tour Graphite  70g shafts R

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX-2 52*, 56*, 60* wedges.  Stock shafts.

Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7S

Ball: :Snell: MTB-X

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

Early morning Humid 9. Watched the thunderstorms work their way all around us but we didn’t get a drop.
Course was a bit sloppy w restrictions from rain last 3 days.
Driver was not co-operating that well today but irons were looking good.
Shot a 42 w one birdie and one dbl bogie. Fun morning

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 7

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Ping G410 Plus

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead

Irons; Ping G410 5-SW & Mizno 919 Hot Metal 5-SW

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Got rained out so decided to freshen up an old 60* wedge to put into play - changed the grip, sharpened the grooves and smoothed out some nicks on the face and leading edge.

So this thing better be nice to me now... 😅😂🤣

• Like 6

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
..Tour Edge Exotics EXS 3W/HL (17*) and EXS 7W (both Tensei CK Blue)
..Callaway XR 4H (Project X SD)
..PXG 0211 6i-GW (Mitsubishi MMT) 
..Cleveland CBX2 54 (Rotex graphite) and Callaway X-Jaws 60 (TT-DG S300)
..Evnroll ER5 (33", 385g)
..all in a Datrek Hybrid bag on a Bag Boy Quad XL push cart.

Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator

It's been about a month but the trend line for this year continues. 

This week it was 46 in league  after dumping 2 into the water on the 3rd hole. I ended up taking a 9 which effectively took me out of the match as my opponent decided it was his day to shoot 5 under his handicap

Sunday wrapped up the club championship tournament. Day one was a disaster with a 9 on the same hole, a 50 total on the front followed by a 49 on the back. . Day two I was striking the ball a lot more consistent, but my putting decided not to show up. Ended up with a 91 including a rash of 3 putts and even a 4 putt. 

Two days before the tournament I shot a 39 back nine 

Basically, my season has been two weeks of progress followed by failure then a fluke round followed by more failure. Repeat.

Speaking of fluke:  Did I mention I double hit a chip perfectly into a hole for a skin? Most random shot I can recall in a long time.

• Like 6

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

I was the token Male in a foursome today.  Couple of days ago, my wife asked is I wanted to play on Thursday; we don't normally play on Thursday.  OK, sounds like fun.  I didn't know that we would also be playing with two ladies from my wife's Ladies League.  They sure chatter a lot.  Do they do that every week when they play?  Apparently.

Got off to a slow start... 42, but I did birdie the par 5 #9 hole.  The back nine was better.  I lipped out a 10 foot birdie putt on #10, a hole I need for the 2020 Birdie Challenge.  Rats!  Missed makable birdie putts on #12, 13, 14.  Finished with a 37 and a round of 79.

• Like 8

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Got a rare 18 hole round in yesterday afternoon with @MDGolfHacker   It was my 2nd round with the "Callaway Bag"  MAVRIK Irons, MAVRIK Sub Zero Driver and MD5 wedges.

One of those cases where overall I hit the ball pretty well, but score didn't reflect it.  Had two big blowup holes on Par 5's  A 10 on one and 7 on the others.  Shot 50/51.   But despite that, I hit 12/14 fairways with the driver,  but due to an extremely wet course that was offering no roll and several tee boxes that were pushed back.   I didn't get to hit many irons in, mostly fairway woods.   But the the par 3's where I did hit the irons they were very solid.

Putting was tough as the greens had just been aerated earlier that day, and were sanded.   Big difference in front and back nine putting because of the day difference in aeration.  One side was Tuesday the other was yesterday. 

The solid ball play of the irons was encouraging as the lessons I've been taking for about 4 weeks are starting to show some improvement in the things I've been working on.

This picture really doesn't do the shots justice, and remember the greens had just been aerated that day.  Which actually they played pretty good considering.  The biggest issue was ther balls would pick up a lot of sand, having come out of the fairways which were a bit damp from a lot of rain the previous days.

MDGolfHacker and CG2 Throwing Darts!!  His weapon of choice a Mizzuno MP 20 8 iron, mine MAVRIK 6 iron.

SouthWest Pic.jpg

• Like 9

:titelist-small: TS1 Fubuki 45g R Flex

:ping-small:  G410 FW 5, 7 Alta CB R flex 

:ping-small: G410 Hybrid 26 degree Alta CB R Flex

:titelist-small: T100S/T200 Combo 5-7 T100S 8-P T200 TT Black Oynx R Flex

:titelist-small: SM7 54.08 F 58.12 K 

:scotty-small:  Phantom 5.5   35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

Today was our monthly Senior Club Scramble.  They set it up with 3 flights, rather than the usual A,B,C,D player scenario,  Our group was myself at a 6, another at 1, another at 5 and a 14 handicap player.  We had 13 birdies to come in with a gross 59.  Seniors only play net games, so we didn't have a lot of handicap and I haven't seen the results yet, but ... who knows....  Anyway, I hit some real stinkers because I was swinging harder than normal (darn scramble mentality) and I hit some really nice shots.  My putter was solid and I drained quite a few.  All in all, a fun day, regardless of how we fared.

• Like 8

Hybrids: :taylormade-small: M6 --- 3 (19 degrees), 4 (22 degrees), and 5 (25 degrees) Atmos shaft R

Like Garbage. With a week of rain everyday all courses are wet/sloppy and this morning was no exception. I can’t blame the conditions on my bad ball striking though. All 4 of us played bad, cart path only doesn’t help us old guys.
Did putt relatively well even with the recent aeration.
Didn’t keep score, probably embarrassing.

• Like 6

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Ping G410 Plus

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

39-36 75

I switched to a 10 finger grip on drives and any long shot around the 6th hole - I may just go through the bag with it for a while. Why not?

It’s what I started with before I “knew better.”

All I know was 1 over from there, no missed fairways (I had missed 1 and needed a great short game to keep my alive before that.). When I hit my drive on 18 my playing partner said, “Oh that again.”

A medium high 5 yard draw, straight at the target. The right chimney of the clubhouse. That ended up with a look at 12 footer for birdie. Every approach on the back was either hole high or past

• Like 7

Ping G410 - set at 12 degrees, fade setting - Fujikura Motore X R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood

G30 6-PW -  Aerotech FT 500 shafts

SCOR 48,52,56,60

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

39-36 75

I switched to a 10 finger grip on drives and any long shot around the 6th hole - I may just go through the bag with it for a while. Why not?

All I know was 1 over from there, no missed fairways (I had missed 1 and needed a great short game to keep my alive before that.). When I hit my drive on 18 my playing partner said, “Oh that again.”

A medium high 5 yard draw, straight at the target. The right chimney of the clubhouse. That ended up with a look at 12 footer for birdie. Every approach on the back was either hole high or past

Well....did you make the bird?

• Like 2

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Ping G410 Plus

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

Well, although we took low gross with our 59 in the scramble I mentioned in my last post, we were edged out of the net victory by over 2 strokes.  We took 2nd for the flight and our low gross over all 3 flights was meaningless (points).

EDIT:  Major correction updated in email.  We did, indeed, win!  Guess the person calculating net scores erred.

• Like 7

... Got paired up with some guys I have been paired up with a couple times this summer at 3:35 so grabbed the time hoping it was them. It was. On 17 after struggling most of the day "Blaze" says let's do closest to the pin for $5! You have to be on the green AND make par." We were all in and 2 missed the green and one had a 30 footer for par. I hit an 8 iron from 157 that hit 2 feet past a back right flag and the $15 was as good as in my pocket. We get up to the green and I am 8 feet away but on the fringe by 1" LOL. Jay rolls his putt leaving it 1.5 feet short so very makable but his friends were razing him after I rolled in my putt for birdie and he was a little nervous. He hit it dead center for par. 

...  I missed the cup by 2 feet and made an 8 footer for birdie and still lost $5. It was fun and money well spent. 🤪

• Like 7

Driver:   TaylorMade SIM Max ... Diamana Limited 55R
Utility:   Callaway Super Hybrid 17*   ... Diamana Limited 65R
               TaylorMade DHy 19* ... Diamana Limited 65R
Irons:    4-Gw Titleist T100-S ... Steelfiber 95 r-flex
Wedges:  SM6 52* F Grind ... Steelfiber 95 r-flex
                 SM7D & SM8M 58* ... Steelfiber 95 r-flex
Putter:  Newport 2.5 at 33.5"
Ball:  TaylorMade TP5

2 hours ago, revkev said:

39-36 75

2 hours ago, Rickp said:

Well....did you make the bird?emoji16.png

If it was past hole high, I say no.  I remember being above the hole at Rev's course!!!!

• Like 3

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Played a quick 18 today at a 9 hole executive course that’s just up the road. It’s a decent little course to play quickly...I got in 18 in 2 hours and 10 minutes and that was hitting multiple balls on some shots for Cleveland RTX Zipcore Wedge testing.

I was 5 over on the first 9 and made the turn to the first hole to start my back 9. It’s a 143 yard par 3...as I’m getting ready to hit a cart with 2 young guys pulls up to play their first hole......I take a couple of practice swings and the hit a smooth 8 iron that has a 5 yard draw and it’s tracking right at the flag.....just before it lands one of the guys behind me yells “ GET IN THE HOLE!” So loud it actually made me jump..lol

The ball lands takes a bounce then we hear it hit the pin...but it doesn’t drop ☹️...the guy that yelled says great shot but you got robbed...let us know how close it is.

I drive up to the hole to find me ball sitting less than 2 inches dead in front of the cup
I hold up my fingers 2 inches apart and show the guys on the tee box and he yells back...wow dude that sucks!

I tapped in for birdie, parred the second, drained a 10 footer for birdie on 3, parred 4, bogeyed 5 and the realized I was even par through 5....so I doubled 6, bogeyed 7 and 8 but rallied with a birdie on 9 to shot 3 over on that 9 for an 8 over round.....I should have never looked at the card

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 6

:cobra-small: King F7+ UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 6F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 6-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:cobra-small: King PuR Wedges 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 3.0 grip

Arccos Generation 1 Sensors on all clubs

Snell MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

Well....did you make the bird?

No - shot 75 without a birdie - 3 bogeys on the front for 39. All pars on the back. Hit it really well on the back, had lots of great looks, also didn’t leave a single approach shot short of hole high.

• Like 5

Ping G410 - set at 12 degrees, fade setting - Fujikura Motore X R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood

G30 6-PW -  Aerotech FT 500 shafts

SCOR 48,52,56,60

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Double on the front 9, double on the back 9 .... 80

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Double on the front 9, double on the back 9 .... 80

We all hate those doubles.

• Like 3

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Ping G410 Plus

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead