Our Sponsors

6 hours ago, russtopherb said:

but when we get on the course and he has to try and hit a target, he gets very tentative and slows down his downswing

That's a great thing to coach him on, especially at a young enough age - I took up golf way too late and still don't trust my swing .. I still tense up and try to guide the ball to the target (which fails every time so you'd think I might learn something from that 😜🤪).

• Like 2

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
..Tour Edge Exotics EXS 3W/HL (17*) and EXS 7W (both Tensei CK Blue)
..Callaway XR 4H (Project X SD) and Big Bertha 19 5H (Recoil ZTR)
..PXG 0211 6i-GW (Mitsubishi MMT) 
..Cleveland CBX2 54 and CBX 60 (both Rotex graphite)
..Evnroll ER5 (33", 385g, P2 Reflex Tour)
..all in a Datrek Hybrid bag on a Bag Boy Quad XL push cart.

Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator

• Replies 15.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Today was a good day.  First hole in one ever.  50° Cobra King wedge from 120 yards.  Hit just past the hole and spun back in. Shot 73 to tie my lowest round ever. Won my match 8 and 6

Un-bloody-conscious! I still can't believe it but I shot a 79! 57% FIR 33% GIR 30 putts.  

****Alert ***** Alert!******Alert!****** sluggo shoots a new PB today !!!!!!!!!!!   -4.......    67. .......    -4. .....    67!   ..... It was a Great day to say the least, and the o

Posted Images

Played pretty decently, shot a 98. Ballstriking getting better, but had a few chunks and thin shots mixed in. That score includes an atrocious 8 on the par 4 10th hole.

Got out of all the bunkers in 1, but by getting out in 1, i mean the ball progresses forward like 2 feet outside of the bunker. Driving was the best part of my game today. 

Hole of the day for me was hole 4. Hit a long drive down the right side of the fairway. Hit a high gap wedge that landed soft on the green. Of course I missed my 5 footer for birdie. Hit the tap in left handed for par.

1052263181_Attachment-1(2).jpeg.d517c547a79f0496ab7d82dccc69aeba.jpeg

• Like 7

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Current tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 10/6/2020
Driver:taylormade-small:SIM Max 10.5 - Fujikura Ventus Red 5S Velocore (the real one)
Hybrids:taylormade-small: SIM Max 3H, 4H - Matrix Ozik 85S
Irons:callaway-small:Mavrik Max 5 - AW - Nippon Neo 950GH S
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX 2 54, CBX Full Face 58 - Nippon Modus 105 Wedge flex
Putter:  LAB Golf Directed Force 2.1

Current Putter Collection: LAB Golf DIrected Force 1, :cleveland-small: HB Soft Premier #11, :cameron-small: La Costa 1st 500, :scotty-small: Squareback 1 (2008)

Shot 42/43:85 today at Pebble Creek. Considering that yesterday I Broke two shafts(#4 & #9) with my Powerbilt irons. Today I gamed s full bag of Cobra F8’s, from the CCC2. Overall they played very well. Put an old Slotline (SSi 693)mid mallet putter in play today....course was very wet and played slow with greens slower than usual.

IMG_2412.JPG

Will put Wilson D7’s back into play this week.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 8

Driver: Tour Edge Exotics EXS w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft BACKUP DRIVER: Cobra F8 w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft  Fairways:  Cobra King F8 3W(14.5*) & 5W(18.5*) w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft Hybrids: Tour Edge CBX 119 4H(22*)  with Project X Evenflo regular shaft Irons: Wilson Staff D7 5 - PW w/Recoil 460 regular shafts Wedges: Wilson D7 GW(50*) & SW(54*) w/Recoil 460 regular shafts; Cleveland RTX Zipcore(58*) w/True Temper Spinner Wedge steel shaft  Putter: 33" Slotline SSi 693 mid mallet Bag: Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag(Peacoat Blue).

That's a great thing to coach him on, especially at a young enough age - I took up golf way too late and still don't trust my swing .. I still tense up and try to guide the ball to the target (which fails every time so you'd think I might learn something from that ).

I shy away from saying too much to him since I can barely play myself. But that’s something that his coach in PGA Jr had talked with him about so I’m ok giving him some gentle reminders when needed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 4

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:wilson_staff_small:  D7 R flex 
:callaway-small:  GBB 3W (lofted to 4W)
:callaway-small: V-Series Heavenwood
:cobra-small: Baffler XL 5i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54*
:cleveland-small:  Smart Sole S
:cleveland-small: #10

Twitter: @russtopherb

49 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

Played pretty decently, shot a 98. Ballstriking getting better, but had a few chunks and thin shots mixed in. That score includes an atrocious 8 on the par 4 10th hole.

Got out of all the bunkers in 1, but by getting out in 1, i mean the ball progresses forward like 2 feet outside of the bunker. Driving was the best part of my game today. 

Hole of the day for me was hole 4. Hit a long drive down the right side of the fairway. Hit a high gap wedge that landed soft on the green. Of course I missed my 5 footer for birdie. Hit the tap in left handed for par.

1052263181_Attachment-1(2).jpeg.d517c547a79f0496ab7d82dccc69aeba.jpeg

Hey any time I’m out of the trap in 1 shot I’m thrilled! 😄 Even if it’s only a foot or two out. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, russtopherb said:

Hey any time I’m out of the trap in 1 shot I’m thrilled! 😄 Even if it’s only a foot or two out. 

Me too. There was a time I could hit an actual functional bunker shot but then somehow that completely went away.

How do you like the Smart Sole S? I got fed up with my bunker shots so I ordered one.

• Like 1

Updated 10/6/2020
Driver:taylormade-small:SIM Max 10.5 - Fujikura Ventus Red 5S Velocore (the real one)
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX 2 54, CBX Full Face 58 - Nippon Modus 105 Wedge flex

Current Putter Collection: LAB Golf DIrected Force 1, :cleveland-small: HB Soft Premier #11, :cameron-small: La Costa 1st 500, :scotty-small: Squareback 1 (2008)

Just now, dlow206 said:

Me too. There was a time I could hit an actual functional bunker shot but then somehow that completely went away.

How do you like the Smart Sole S? I got fed up with my bunker shots so I ordered one.

I really like it, it’s pretty automatic once you get used to it. It’s definitely a one trick pony though so you have to accept that slot is taken up by a wedge that’s only good for one type of shot. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, chisag said:

... If you learn the proper technique, getting out of a bunker is one of the easiest shots in golf. There is just so much room for error as you can hit 2" behind or 1/2" behind and you are still on the green. Now getting really good at it and alerting to fly it to the hole or run it up to the hole and getting it close is much tougher and just takes a ton of practice. But just getting it out is oh so easy once you truly understand how to play the shot. It is it's own unique "swing" and very different from any other swing but again, once you understand how to do it most are shocked at just how easy it is. The flip side is without proper technique, getting out of the sand can be hit or miss and very difficult, so I get it. Hang in there and learn how to hit it and you will be glad you did.

... This visual doesn't work for everyone, but it was one of the most successful with my students struggling to get out of the sand and understanding using the bounce:

Picture yourself in water about waist high. If you turn your hand so it is leaning back about 45* and smack your hand down into the water, the leading edge of your hand will go deeper into the water throwing some forward. This is how most players attack the sand. Now turn your hand so it is leaning forward about 45* and soak the water. Your hand will skim over the surface splashing much more water forward., Most of us did this as kids splashing our friends. This is the correct way to use the bounce then:

Spread your feet farther than normal, bend your knees more than normal and have your hands lower than normal. With your weight slightly on your front foot, simply cock your wrists quickly with no weight shift and then smack down and thru the sand with the very back of your wedge. the leading edge never touches the sand, just the trailing edge of the wedge. It is more of a lift and smack than an actual swing. But if you understand the hand 45* leaning forward splashing the water, you understand the trailing edge in the sand. Good luck! 

Thanks for this. I think I am essentially slamming the leading edge into the sand and the ball goes nowhere. Will give what you mentioned above a shot.

• Like 3

Updated 10/6/2020

Really had a tough time on the front 9 today.  Started off with an opening shot that careened OB right and things didn't get a whole lot better.  45 on the front, 39 on the back.  Tempo was off and the ball striking showed just how badly I was off.   Unusual for me, but I lost 2 golf balls today -- one was the opening OB and the other dove into a pond after hitting the tree.  On the plus side, even though I stunk it up today, I did win a gross and net skin on my only birdie for the day.

• Like 4

Driver: :ping-small: G400 Max 9 degree Alta CB55 Stiff shaft 

Hybrids: :taylormade-small: M6 --- 3 (19 degrees), 4 (22 degrees), and 5 (25 degrees) Atmos shaft R

Irons: :callaway-small:Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW KBS Tour Graphite  70g shafts R

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX-2 52*, 56*, 60* wedges.  Stock shafts.

Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7S

Ball: :Snell: MTB-X

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

1 hour ago, dlow206 said:

Thanks for this. I think I am essentially slamming the leading edge into the sand and the ball goes nowhere. Will give what you mentioned above a shot.

Another tip that someone gave me years ago regarding green side bunker play was: Hold you club face open like you have a glass of wine sitting on your club, don't let the glass tip over all the way through your swing. Hopefully this makes sense and it works!

• Like 6
1 hour ago, GaDawg said:

Another tip that someone gave me years ago regarding green side bunker play was: Hold you club face open like you have a glass of wine sitting on your club, don't let the glass tip over all the way through your swing. Hopefully this makes sense and it works!

That's a really interesting thought. I don't think I have been opening the face enough to begin with. 

• Like 2

Updated 10/6/2020

Just now, dlow206 said:

That's a really interesting thought. I don't think I have been opening the face enough to begin with. 

Lay it wide open unless you ball is plugged!

• Like 1
1 minute ago, GaDawg said:

Lay it wide open unless you ball is plugged!

Yeah, for sure going to open it more. Somehow after having issues, i actually started to hold it less open which probably makes it even worse.

• Like 1

Updated 10/6/2020

3 hours ago, chisag said:

... If you learn the proper technique, getting out of a bunker is one of the easiest shots in golf. There is just so much room for error as you can hit 2" behind or 1/2" behind and you are still on the green. Now getting really good at it and alerting to fly it to the hole or run it up to the hole and getting it close is much tougher and just takes a ton of practice. But just getting it out is oh so easy once you truly understand how to play the shot. It is it's own unique "swing" and very different from any other swing but again, once you understand how to do it most are shocked at just how easy it is. The flip side is without proper technique, getting out of the sand can be hit or miss and very difficult, so I get it. Hang in there and learn how to hit it and you will be glad you did.

... This visual doesn't work for everyone, but it was one of the most successful with my students struggling to get out of the sand and understanding using the bounce:

Picture yourself in water about waist high. If you turn your hand so it is leaning back about 45* and smack your hand down into the water, the leading edge of your hand will go deeper into the water throwing some forward. This is how most players attack the sand. Now turn your hand so it is leaning forward about 45* and soak the water. Your hand will skim over the surface splashing much more water forward., Most of us did this as kids splashing our friends. This is the correct way to use the bounce then:

Spread your feet farther than normal, bend your knees more than normal and have your hands lower than normal and shaft should be straight up and down worthy no forward lean. With your weight slightly on your front foot, simply cock your wrists quickly with no weight shift and then smack down and thru the sand with the very back of your wedge. the leading edge never touches the sand, just the trailing edge of the wedge. It is more of a lift and smack than an actual swing. But if you understand the hand 45* leaning forward splashing the water, you understand the trailing edge in the sand. Good luck! 

Yep!  I struggled for years because my course I used to play didn't have any sand bunkers.  When I moved to my current course, I didn't k ow how to get the ball out of the sand, and this course has lots of sand!  With lots of practice and many bunker shots during rounds, I slowly got a little better.  No issues now, and I'm now thinking how can I get this close instead of just trying to get the ball out.  Confidence is everything for this shot.

One other thing to understand about sand shots is that greenside sand shots have to actually get sand out of the bunker.  Since you don't hit the ball, if the sand doesn't get out, then neither will the ball.  I practiced bunker shots without a ball.  When the face is open and the bounce is properly used, it's easy to throw sand out of the bunker with your wedge.  

• Like 4

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

21 hours ago, Kenny B said:

Had a nice round today:  39/39 for a stress free 78 and no doubles!!  Also no birdies.  🙄

I wasn't catching my driver as well as I wanted, but drives were adequate.  I hit some great 3W shots from the fairway, and my iron approaches were better than usual (ball-striking practice at home).  Short game was fine until hole #15.  I started pressing to make a birdie and 3-putted #15 and 16.  Threw away a few shots on the back nine.  Overall, pleased though.  

Tomorrow I will see if I can continue good play like DJ did today or fold like Spieth on weekends.  Stay tuned.

Well, I wasn't a DJ today, but I wasn't a Jordan Spieth either.   41/40 for 81 and another round with NO doubles!!  C'mon @CarlH!!  I tweaked my right knee yesterday after my round, and I was worried that it would affect my swing today.  I didn't strike the ball as well as yesterday, but I was happy I didn't make any big numbers.  I put KT tape on my knee before we played; that stuff really works great.  Just don't get the Hot Pink color.

My wife and I played with the better half of a couple we usually play with.  Her husband is in Colorado working on landscaping for their new house... and it's next to a golf course!!  Won't be ready until 2022... dang!!

• Like 4

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

35 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

41/40 for 81 and another round with NO doubles!!  C'mon @CarlH!!

I just can't do it!  LOL .... I'm the king of double bogies!  Even when I shoot in the 70s, there's at least one double in there.   Generally, I can throw a couple of birdies in with the doubles to keep the score respectable, but some days, it's the shaft, not the elevator, for me.

• Like 4

Hybrids: :taylormade-small: M6 --- 3 (19 degrees), 4 (22 degrees), and 5 (25 degrees) Atmos shaft R

4 hours ago, dlow206 said:

Bounce is your friend!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

41-40=81. Two birdies, 29 putts. 71% fairways. 5 up-and-down. Three doubles including on #1 and #2 thanks to early tee time and no range time. Still, happy w the score all considered, really happy w putting, and my chipping and pitching were much better than they have been for weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

------------------------------

Driver:  :cleveland-small: Classics XL 10.5 - Miyazaki Tour Issue 6 S-flex

Fairway:srixon-small: f65 15* - Miyazaki Kaula Mizo 5 R-flex

Hybrid:Hogan: 18* - Proforce V2 Stff

Irons:Hogan: PTxPro 4-PW - UST Mamiya Recoil 780 F4

Wedges:Hogan: Equalizer 50 Recoil F4, 56 and 60 with KBS Tour 90 Stiff

Putter:  :taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red Sightline - double-bend black steel 34"

75 in the men’s league today, par 70 short course. Tried to play “boring” golf by always playing to wedge range off the tee regardless of how long the hole was. Most holes I had a 6 or 7 iron in hand on the tee. Didn’t hit anything spectacular, but I also didn’t find any trouble all day. Had a few less than stellar wedge shots and a couple lip outs away from even par. I think I’m going to work longer clubs back in, but keep this mindset on the course. Unless I’m really feeling it that day. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Stats: 5'4", Male, R-Handed, Moderate Tempo, Driver SS 106mph

Driver: Ping i25, S-flex PWR 65 shaft
3w/5w: Callaway X-Hot, S-flex Fubuki shafts
3i: FOURTEEN FH-1000, DG X100
4i-PW: Mizuno MP-4, DG S300
Wedges: Titleist SM7
56* Wedge: Callaway Jaws w/ 12* of bounce