Our Sponsors

• Replies 15.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Today was a good day.  First hole in one ever.  50° Cobra King wedge from 120 yards.  Hit just past the hole and spun back in. Shot 73 to tie my lowest round ever. Won my match 8 and 6

Un-bloody-conscious! I still can't believe it but I shot a 79! 57% FIR 33% GIR 30 putts.  

****Alert ***** Alert!******Alert!****** sluggo shoots a new PB today !!!!!!!!!!!   -4.......    67. .......    -4. .....    67!   ..... It was a Great day to say the least, and the o

Posted Images

81 with three doubles. One thanks to a topper three wood into a penalty area, one from a smoked 6 iron over the back of a green and lost (followed by some crap wedge play) and one thanks to more crap wedge play. I need wedge practice badly!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 9

------------------------------

Driver:  :cleveland-small: Classics XL 10.5 - Miyazaki Tour Issue 6 S-flex

Fairway:srixon-small: f65 15* - Miyazaki Kaula Mizo 5 R-flex

Hybrid:Hogan: 18* - Proforce V2 Stff

Irons:Hogan: PTxPro 4-PW - UST Mamiya Recoil 780 F4

Wedges:Hogan: Equalizer 50 Recoil F4, 56 and 60 with KBS Tour 90 Stiff

Putter:  :taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red Sightline - double-bend black steel 34"

41 minutes ago, gbtrsc said:

81 with three doubles. One thanks to a topper three wood into a penalty area, one from a smoked 6 iron over the back of a green and lost (followed by some crap wedge play) and one thanks to more crap wedge play. I need wedge practice badly!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is normally how I make a double too, some days when the feel is all off the whole goal is only to get on the green reasonably close to the whole to avoid those. Somedays even that doesn't work. I should join in on that wedge practice.

• Like 4

Follow My Super Speed Progress Here 

Cobra Golf Vector Logo - (.SVG   .PNG) - FindVectorLogo.Com Cobra Speedzone Extreme 9° Mitshubishi Tensei AV Blue 65 Stiff Flex

:taylormade-small: '07 Burner 15° Reax 50 Stiff Flex

:titelist-small: 816 H1 18° Fujikura Speeder HB 8.8 Stiff Flex

:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Diamana S+ Blue 70 Stiff Flex

:ping-small:  I500 5 - UW Red Dot Dynamic Gold S300

:cleveland-small: CG16 56°/12 Stock Traction Steel Wedge Flex

:cleveland-small: Tour Action 60° 2 Dot Stock Traction Steel Wedge Flex

:ping-small:  Karsten Series Anser Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0

Right Handed

Played Odessa National in DE today.  Had never heard of the course before even though it is less than an hour from here.  Very nice condition and a nice layout with lots of fairway traps, 6 of which I found to be in just my landing area.  I would definitely go back there over a couple other courses in the Middletown area.  Scoring was hard work from where i was driving the ball - ended up at 83 with 6 over on the last 4 holes after a back spasm on 14 due to a slip getting out of the cart.

• Like 5

Ping G410+ 9*, Accra TourZ X265 M5 

Ping i20 17* & 23* hybrids, stock stiff shafts

Mizuno JPX 919 HMP 4i, PX LZ 6.0

Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5 - PW, PX LZ 6.0

Cleveland Tour Action 49*, 53*, 57*; PX LZ 6.5 (w/ some custom heel grinding)

Ping Heppler Fetch

Snell MTB

Well, thanks to Covid-19, the 2020 Buddy Trip was postponed 5 months, but finally came to be this past week(Thursday-Sunday) in Kissimmee, FL. Sixteen players, 4 -4 Bdrm houses rented, 4 courses scheduled, 5 rounds of golf. We played North Shore, Kissimmee Bay Country Club, Falcon’s Fire and Champions Gate National.

We play a Stableford Points game with quotas previously established. Four rounds plus a team Scramble where one player from each different house makes up the teams. Over $1,400 in prize money paid out. Of the 16 players, all but one cashed at some level.......that one was me! In over 10 years of running a Buddy Trip, this was the the first time I failed to cash. I played poorly and could not make my points(25). I had a good round going today at Champions Gate with a chip in birdie on the par 4 #9 but fell apart on the back nine, mainly due to pain from torn ligaments and adhesions from 4 hernia surgeries. The pain was probably because I had played 5 rounds in 4 days.

That said, we all had a great time....except maybe for one player who got hit in the knee from a shanked ball on the final hole.

Image1600050446.037378.jpg

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy
Tour Edge Exotics EXS(11.5*)w/ Mitsubishi Tense ck Blue Regular; 3W & 5W Cobra King F8 w/ Mitsubishi Tense ck Blue Regular shafts; Tour Edge CBX119 22* Hybrid w/Project X Evenflo Regular shaft; Wilson Staff D-7 5-PW + GW + SW w/UST Mamiya Recoil 460 Regular graphite shafts; Cleveland RTX Zipcore LW(58*) w/DG Spinner shaft. Putter: Bellum Winmore 707; Bag: Cobra Ultralight Cart bag, Peaccoat Blue.

• Like 8

Driver: Tour Edge Exotics EXS w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft BACKUP DRIVER: Cobra F8 w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft  Fairways:  Cobra King F8 3W(14.5*) & 5W(18.5*) w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft Hybrids: Tour Edge CBX 119 4H(22*)  with Project X Evenflo regular shaft Irons: Wilson Staff D7 5 - PW w/Recoil 460 regular shafts Wedges: Wilson D7 GW(50*) & SW(54*) w/Recoil 460 regular shafts; Cleveland RTX Zipcore(58*) w/True Temper Spinner Wedge steel shaft  Putter: 33" Slotline SSi 693 mid mallet Bag: Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag(Peacoat Blue).

Well, I couldn't stand it.  Our courses were closed all weekend for dangerous air quality.  Soooo, my wife and I decided to head north and west about an hours' drive to a course on the Columbia River that was open and had better air quality; not much better,  but they were open.  

IMG_5304.jpg.535ee62483fd4547a727c8d1d0b66ea8.jpg

We've played this course in the past, but not for a couple of years.  They had trash baskets on the course; we haven't had any trash cans since we reopened after the shutdown.  They had benches but the were turned upside down or on their side so you couldn't sit on them.

IMG_5303.jpg.e6595e1d216c63ee346589be678b67ab.jpg

They had tee times available starting at 11:30am; we got there and teed off at 12:10.  No one in front of us and no one behind us... until hole #5 when we caught the tail end of a tournament that the pro shop failed to tell us about.  It was slooooooowwwwww!  Hard to get a rhythm.  When we finished a hole, we spent time chipping and putting because the group in front hadn't even teed off on the next hole yet.  I played OK; shot 41/39 for 80 with 3 birdies, but 2 doubles.  I don't remember striking my irons better than I did today.  The turf was different than ours, and the fairway needed mowing but it was easy to pick the ball.  I had two tap-in birdies; less than a foot from the cup.  The first was on the par 3 #11 hole playing 154y (almost my 4th ace), and the second was on the par 4 hole #13 from 129y out.  

Then on the final 3 holes my wife got her Irish up because one of the guys that finished the tournament was driving his cart back to his house; stopped to chit chat with the foursome in front of us, then proceeded to sit in my wife's line of sight waiting for her to hit into the green.  That's always a recipe for disaster for my wife; she will mishit the ball every time.  Even though it was slow, it was an OK time until then.  It was a long hours' drive home.

• Like 8

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

2 hours ago, cnosil said:

It was a tale of 2 nines today.  43/36:79.  Since I am working on my wedge game I moved up again and hit driver off most tees.  Missed quite a few fairways but was only really in trouble on 2 holes.  Proximity to the hole for my shots wasn't great but I was putting pretty well.  5 fairways, 10 greens, 33 putts.    Fee like my full shots are pretty good;  chip/pitch shots from off the green were just ok (grass wasn't cut so ball was sitting up in the bermuda which added a level of difficulty).  From 100ish and in was mediocre.   Going to try and get some time on the GC Quad to hit some wedge shots. 

I've never played on bermuda where the ball sits up; it always sinks to the bottom, and lucky to find it.  😬

• Like 3

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

7 hours ago, Shankster said:

Hope you are right.  If not, it might be time to switch to SGI irons and a draw biased driver.  That’s how bad this round was.  And it was because of the driver.  Having a 3 iron in, rather than a 7 or 8 makes a huge difference.  Haha.  

maybe I should have done that iron only round after all... 

You just described my normal game if you sub a 3H for that 3 iron.  

• Like 2

21 hours ago, MattF said:

Had a fun day yesterday with the Ohio boys at @tony@CIC 's club.

Got hot out of the gate paring the first 3 hole, then got a bit shaky but shot a 42 on the front. Hit my best drive of the day on the par 5 10th, slightly pulled my hybrid to pin high right of the green, pitched on and the ball tracked all the way to the hole where it hit the pin leaving an easy 3-4 footer for birdie...then the wheels fell off and I ended up with a 47 on the back. Considering the the rating was 70.7 and 131 slope from the white tee's, I was happy but at the same time a little disappointed.

It was a lot of fun. I was just happy to not be in traction after playing lol. But now the bag gets a a serious look over. Changes will be made

• Like 6

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

I've never played on bermuda where the ball sits up; it always sinks to the bottom, and lucky to find it.  

It either drops to the bottom or sits on top here. So easy to go under the ball and have it go nowhere. I had played the ball back but didn’t swing hard enough so the ball only went about 15 feet when I needed it to go 40+.
  • Like 5

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Ten S      Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Well, it's official.... I have the chipping yips. I played 45 holes this weekend. Short game is normally a relative strength for me and bails me out of many a high(er) score. Not this weekend. I've also been in about a funk where I can't hit an iron. Normally I can hit them solid, just don't have too much control over where they go. Chipping yips combined with bad irons is a recipe for high scores.

Friday afternoon: Walked 9. Nothing particularly sharp. Ended up shooting a 48. Wouldn't have been so bad if not for an 8 on the 9th. Ugh. It didn't help that the course was set up for a tournament so pins were tucked in all sorts of awkward positions.

Saturday: Ohio get-together at Catawba Island Club with @tony@CIC and the gang. A ton of fun and Tony called in some perfect weather. The course is beautiful and pretty tough, especially when you can't hit the ball well. 48/50 with 6(!) penalty strokes.

Sunday: We had our league outing at a different course than we normally play. The course was in very good shape, with the exception that they punched the greens early last week. No big deal, we all dealt with the same thing, except the chipping yips ate me alive. With the punched greens, everything landed softly and didn't roll. I could not get myself to hit the ball farther. Having the yips, that meant it was a lot of second chips that I was leaving myself with way too long of putts (fortunately only 2 3-putts, 31 total putts which I was happy about given the green conditions). I didn't feel like I was trying to do anything fancy with my chips, but it was awful, "highlighted" by a 5-chip fiasco on the 17th. You read that correct.... 5 chips. I am confident it is all mental at this stage. The only good news was I started hitting my irons a bit better, so even with the abysmal chipping I shot a 44/48.

I had been playing pretty well until 3 weeks ago, which is about when I stopped hitting solid irons. This is a terrible time to start sucking more than usual as my partner and I play for the league championship tomorrow on the harder of the two nines. For our league, the back nine plays 6 strokes harder on average, so this could be interesting if I can't get my crap together. I'm half-tempted to take a couple hours of vacation tomorrow and get back to the basics on chipping technique and see if I can get past this.

• Like 6

Driver: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 9.5* Recoil 460ES cut to 45"
3W: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 15* Recoil 460ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-PW:  :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
AW: :mizuno-small:S5 52*
SW: :cleveland-small: 588
LW: :callaway-small: MD3
Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Marxman
Bag: :bridgestone-small: Tour B Stand Bag
Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

:SuperSpeed: Tester
Starting Driver Speed on PRGR Monitor: 102 mph

Final Driver Speed (end of Level 2): 120 mph

Well, it's official.... I have the chipping yips. I played 45 holes this weekend. Short game is normally a relative strength for me and bails me out of many a high(er) score. Not this weekend. I've also been in about a funk where I can't hit an iron. Normally I can hit them solid, just don't have too much control over where they go. Chipping yips combined with bad irons is a recipe for high scores.
Friday afternoon: Walked 9. Nothing particularly sharp. Ended up shooting a 48. Wouldn't have been so bad if not for an 8 on the 9th. Ugh. It didn't help that the course was set up for a tournament so pins were tucked in all sorts of awkward positions.
Saturday: Ohio get-together at Catawba Island Club with [mention=68414]tony@CIC[/mention] and the gang. A ton of fun and Tony called in some perfect weather. The course is beautiful and pretty tough, especially when you can't hit the ball well. 48/50 with 6(!) penalty strokes.
Sunday: We had our league outing at a different course than we normally play. The course was in very good shape, with the exception that they punched the greens early last week. No big deal, we all dealt with the same thing, except the chipping yips ate me alive. With the punched greens, everything landed softly and didn't roll. I could not get myself to hit the ball farther. Having the yips, that meant it was a lot of second chips that I was leaving myself with way too long of putts (fortunately only 2 3-putts, 31 total putts which I was happy about given the green conditions). I didn't feel like I was trying to do anything fancy with my chips, but it was awful, "highlighted" by a 5-chip fiasco on the 17th. You read that correct.... 5 chips. I am confident it is all mental at this stage. The only good news was I started hitting my irons a bit better, so even with the abysmal chipping I shot a 44/48.
I had been playing pretty well until 3 weeks ago, which is about when I stopped hitting solid irons. This is a terrible time to start sucking more than usual as my partner and I play for the league championship tomorrow on the harder of the two nines. For our league, the back nine plays 6 strokes harder on average, so this could be interesting if I can't get my crap together. I'm half-tempted to take a couple hours of vacation tomorrow and get back to the basics on chipping technique and see if I can get past this.

Your local pro here

I agree that something with the yips is mental. Part of it could be that your mind has wandered off and you just are not focused. Do you usually chip with a 54, 56, or 60? I didn't see anything on Saturday.

Try this- use a lower lofted club to get the ball rolling on the green as soon as possible. I like a 7 iron, maybe for you it's a 9, maybe you'll feel the most comfortable over a 4 or 5 iron. It's what feels good for you.

Grip the club down by the steel (don't choke down, choke is a negative word and there's already too much negative in the world, we don't need it in our golf games) So grip low by the steel and square the club face to your line. Take a stace with your feet closer together and make almost a putting stroke. I mean you'll use your shoulders more than your wrists. The ball should just carry a couple feet then roll out the rest.

You can do this, just need your mind focused back on the task at hand, getting the ball in the cup.

Take Dead Aim

• Like 6
17 minutes ago, Tsmithjr9 said:

Your local pro here emoji1787.png

I agree that something with the yips is mental. Part of it could be that your mind has wandered off and you just are not focused. Do you usually chip with a 54, 56, or 60? I didn't see anything on Saturday.

Try this- use a lower lofted club to get the ball rolling on the green as soon as possible. I like a 7 iron, maybe for you it's a 9, maybe you'll feel the most comfortable over a 4 or 5 iron. It's what feels good for you.

Grip the club down by the steel (don't choke down, choke is a negative word and there's already too much negative in the world, we don't need it in our golf games) So grip low by the steel and square the club face to your line. Take a stace with your feet closer together and make almost a putting stroke. I mean you'll use your shoulders more than your wrists. The ball should just carry a couple feet then roll out the rest.

You can do this, just need your mind focused back on the task at hand, getting the ball in the cup.

Take Dead Aim

Thanks! Normally, most of my chipping is done with a 56. When things sucked yesterday, I switched back and forth a couple times between AW and PW to mix things up, but by then, the mental damage had been done, my confidence was completely gone, and distance control wasn't good since I rarely practice chipping with those clubs.

• Like 2

Driver: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 9.5* Recoil 460ES cut to 45"
3W: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 15* Recoil 460ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-PW:  :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
AW: :mizuno-small:S5 52*
SW: :cleveland-small: 588
LW: :callaway-small: MD3
Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Marxman
Bag: :bridgestone-small: Tour B Stand Bag
Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

:SuperSpeed: Tester
Starting Driver Speed on PRGR Monitor: 102 mph

Final Driver Speed (end of Level 2): 120 mph

15 minutes ago, MaxEntropy said:

the mental damage had been done

Always knew you were mental! 😜

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

In the bag:
Driver: :taylormade-small: M5 Project X Even Flow Blue 6.0
Fairway: Sub 70 939X 15° Project X Even Flow Blue 6.0
Hybrid: :755178188_TourEdge: CBX 119 19° hybrid Project X Even Flow Blue 6.0
Irons: :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 4-GW Project X Catalyst 80 6.0
Wedge: :cleveland-small: Smartsole S
Putter :yes-small: Tracy
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls::Snell: MTB-X or Black

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the Queen🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

shot well. everything is clicking. Hogans rock, MavriK rocks, Evnroll rocks, swing is grooving. too bad Im old before this all came about...

• Like 6

:callaway-small: MavriK Sub Zero 9* on EvenFlow RipTide 6.0 50g

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:cobra-small: F8 5/6 wood on Aldila NxT GEN MLT R

:Hogan: Combo iron set -8,9,per Icon 5,6,7 PtxPro 4-UiHi on Recoil 780 ES f4 Stiff shafts (best clubs ever)

:benhogan-small: Equalizer 50°, 54°, 60° wedges on Recoil 780 f4

:EVNROLL: ER3 34”

:titelist-small: ProV1x

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 shoes

55 minutes ago, Sluggo42 said:

shot well. everything is clicking. Hogans rock, MavriK rocks, Evnroll rocks, swing is grooving. too bad Im old before this all came about...

I was old before the SLDR-C came out!  🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

On 9/13/2020 at 12:22 PM, Shankster said:

Played so bad that I should just give golf up.  Wipey 230 yard drives...  frustrating dang game this is.  Couldn’t keep driver or 3 wood on the planet.  Just terrible.  Heeling every shot, even shanked a go zone 58° wedge.  I think I’m going to take up basket weaving.

ok. Better now.  

Playing the Blueprints?

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver | Official 2019 MGS Tester

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-UW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:ping-small: B61 Putter

Played an Exec 9 hole over the weekend. It's a short, and mostly pretty tight, course and the very contoured greens more than make up for the lack of length. It's great iron practice with 5 Par 3s from 100 to about 160, and then 4 short Par 4s where I tee'ed off with a hybrid.

Was hitting the ball mostly ok .. starting to hit it more solidly more often .. but now am starting to miss some to the left..? And, yes, still had a few of my more typical miss of a push/push-fade. Have another lesson coming up so have to ask about that!

Putting was way waaaay off, though - these greens were faster than what I've been playing on recently and my speed / distance control was way off ... ergo lots of 3 putts... 😢

• Like 4

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
..Tour Edge Exotics EXS 3W/HL (17*) and EXS 7W (both Tensei CK Blue)
..Callaway XR 4H (Project X SD) and Big Bertha 19 5H (Recoil ZTR)
..PXG 0211 6i-GW (Mitsubishi MMT) 
..Cleveland CBX2 54 and CBX 60 (both Rotex graphite)
..Evnroll ER5 (33", 385g, P2 Reflex Tour)
..all in a Datrek Hybrid bag on a Bag Boy Quad XL push cart.

Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator