Our Sponsors

1 hour ago, SlowNLow said:

The body is failing, muscles ache, balance is bad, flexibility and strength need to be improved.    The next season starts in six months.

Anybody know a good golf-related fitness trainer in Metro Detroit?

No, the next season starts next week.  Now is the time to work on those issues that you don't work on while you play all year.   😃

Nope, don't know anyone in Detroit.

• Like 2

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

• Replies 15.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Today was a good day.  First hole in one ever.  50° Cobra King wedge from 120 yards.  Hit just past the hole and spun back in. Shot 73 to tie my lowest round ever. Won my match 8 and 6

I got a hole in one on the first hole today. Makes for a really enjoyable round. Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

****Alert ***** Alert!******Alert!****** sluggo shoots a new PB today !!!!!!!!!!!   -4.......    67. .......    -4. .....    67!   ..... It was a Great day to say the least, and the o

Posted Images

1 hour ago, CarlH said:

...  Had 4 double bogeys, one of which was a 4 putt on a par 3...   Limped in with an 81.

82665392_HomeAlone.jpeg.2b70c7581a400fa282ae89a488074f49.jpeg

Par those holes and it's a 73.

• Like 5

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

1 minute ago, Kenny B said:

No, the next season starts next week.  Now is the time to work on those issues that you don't work on while you play all year.   😃

Nope, don't know anyone in Detroit.

Yeah, your right, can't shut the motor off....

The body really needs work, yoga, yogurt, whatever.  And I need one of those fancy bio-mechanical fitness evaluation things,  Where am I?  Somebody needs to put me on a path of sanity, "my swing feels like an unfolded lawn chair"...

A winter academy would be really cool.  Maybe I tryout for the Oakland U golf team? 

A lot of the courses near me shut it down in the winter, and the weather can end all debate about playing golf anyway, cold is one thing,  four inches of snow on the ground from Jan to March will mess with your short game.

The local golf dome turns into the local soccer dome at 430pm and on weekends.   The personal golf mat/net with launch monitor capability is highly coveted around here.

• Like 3
Oh, what an up and down day!  Mixed bag of junk, mainly.  Had 4 double bogeys, one of which was a 4 putt on a par 3.  Another 3 putt on a different hole.  Putting stroke wasn't bad, but I had issues with burning the edge and putting too far beyond the hole.  Mixed in 3 birdies.  Limped in with an 81.

I hate the sound of double bogie. Like fingernails on a blackboard.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 6

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Ping G410 Plus

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead

Irons; Ping G410 5-SW & Mizno 919 Hot Metal 5-SW

Putter; Waaay too many to list

15 hours ago, Grand Stranded said:

Whew!!!!!

I drained a 15 foot par putt on the par 5 18th, which enabled me to make the cut today ON THE NUMBER. It got me into a 3 way tie for 8th, which took up the last of the 10 spots in the Net division. This means I advance with the top 10 gross players to next week when we reset and shoot it out for the Gross and Net titles.

That closing hole is a beast, tight fairway for your drive OB on the right, red stakes left. You then have to carry a big wetland area on your second, and on your third, water surrounds the green on the left side of and behind the green. We call it the "hole where good rounds go to die" but it saved me today! Two of the guys in my foursome weren't as fortunate. They both got knocked out with a 7&8 respectively, and I snuck in the back door.

I didn't make a putt all day until that final hole, and really didn't play well, but I grinded on every shot, even when I thought I was out of it late on the back nine. Once again I learned in tournament comps, every stroke matters. Keep plugging away, you never know... after two rounds of golf, holing one final 15 foot putt was the difference.

BTW I also got a nice little bonus, winning the CTP which gets me a free round of golf! 

Woohoo. Congrats. A reset sounds nice. Good Luck on the next step.

• Like 3

:cobra-small: King Cobra F8 driver

:ping-small: Serene: 3 and 5 wood, 5 hybrid iron

:taylormade-small: r7 Draw, Flex L: 4 - 9 irons, PW

:cleveland-small: RTX-3: 52/10 wedge; 56/11 wedge; and Tour Action 900 60* low bounce

:edel-golf-1: E-2 Torque custom fit putter

:bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS golf ball

:ShotScope:  V3

Apart from the bomb of a drive off the first tee.  Today was a horrific round, one of those that you wish you’d stayed at home.  Not fun in the slightest way.  So bad I am not even going to share the score.. 😢

What the Eh F is going on?!  I was not releasing the club, slicing the crap out of the driver and 3 wood.  Block fades on the irons all day... I played an extra 5 holes to see what was going on without anyone in my group, or behind/in front.  A little better, but still something is off...  

going out with the boss on Sunday, have to get that junked squared away... especially for the tournament on Wednesday... 😳

Was stuck behind slow people again on the front.  Then stuck between the same slow people and a single on the back pushing us. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 5
17 minutes ago, Shankster said:

What the Eh F is going on?!  I was not releasing the club, slicing the crap out of the driver and 3 wood.  Block fades on the irons all day... I played an extra 5 holes to see what was going on without anyone in my group, or behind/in front.  A little better, but still something is off...  

Is this a rhetorical question?

How was the knock down shot?

• Like 2

Just now, Kenny B said:

Is this a rhetorical question?

How was the knock down shot?

I think it caused all of my issues.  I mean it worked... but I was holding off all of my shots,  which lead to the big right miss.

going to look at the bottom end of the bag closer to see what I can do to get better full swing shots in the 120 and in range.

yes, rhetorical question.  😁

• Like 5
3 minutes ago, Shankster said:

I think it caused all of my issues.  I mean it worked... but I was holding off all of my shots,  which lead to the big right miss.

going to look at the bottom end of the bag closer to see what I can do to get better full swing shots in the 120 and in range.

yes, rhetorical question.  😁

That was why I asked about the knock down shot.  It's interesting how working on one type of swing affects your other swings.  Don't give up on it; it just takes more practice to incorporate it into your arsenal where it doesn't affect your normal swing.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

That was why I asked about the knock down shot.  It's interesting how working on one type of swing affects your other swings.  Don't give up on it; it just takes more practice to incorporate it into your arsenal where it doesn't affect your normal swing.

Yeah.  Can’t have everything working at the same time.  Iron play has been stellar all year, woods pretty darn good.  Finally figure out a wedge game and the other two fall apart.

might just get of the wedges all together. 😂

• Like 4
49 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

I broke my rule and took a video... getting steep in transition.  Should be able to sort that out in a short range session.  Got the John Daly transition going on.  Getting the club too far out in front of me, that would be a huge snap hook if I released the club like I normally do. 

Thats what I get for practicing a lot of short game.... 

I love this sport.

• Like 5
9 minutes ago, Shankster said:

I broke my rule and took a video... getting steep in transition.  Should be able to sort that out in a short range session.  Got the John Daly transition going on.  Getting the club too far out in front of me, that would be a huge snap hook if I released the club like I normally do. 

Thats what I get for practicing a lot of short game.... 

I love this sport.

Check out Justin Rose

1 hour ago, Shankster said:

For short game?

Full swing.  His "feel vs real" pre-swing drill.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Rickp said:

Foggy & Humid but no cart restrictions. Shot 43 w a 1st hole horrible dbl bogy.
Dropped the Ping G410 driver and used backup CobraF8. Good move the F8 worked very well and same distance as G410 but only 1 wayward drive but stayed in bounds, barely.
At least the I stayed up with the guy w the new Mavrik driver he’s been getting on my nerves.

The remark about the guy with the Mavrick really gave me a good laugh, lol.

My buddy is a really good player, and kills his driver. He's always looking for more though. At 52, he's 10-20 years younger than most of us, but only one of the other early 50's guys can keep up with him in distance.

He started off this spring with the Mavrick, and didn't like it (it was the only driver I've seen him struggle with (I'd love to have his "struggles" though) so he traded it for a Sim. He's got a slight fade with it, but he's been just demolishing it all year. Then he tells me he and the Callaway rep created what he calls his Frankenstein driver.... It's a Mavrick head, with the RCH stock shaft they put in the new Big Bertha driver. They also changed out the weight in the bottom of the head to one that weighs about 15 grams. What the new weight accomplishes, I have no idea, but he played the club Saturday. 

Now he has a draw, and is maybe another 15 yards longer.🙄 According to what the rep told him, it turns out the RCH shaft works better for most players with the Mavrick head than the Bertha it was designed for. They then dial in something or other with the weights.... 

Edited by Grand Stranded
  • Like 7

:ping-small: G400 Max 9* set at 10* Alta Reg

:callaway-small: Epic Flash 15* Evenflow 5.0

:cobra-small: F9 Speedback 3&4 Atmos Reg

PXG 0211 5-GW MMT 70 

:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 52-F & 56- S (bent to 57*)

:scotty-small: Newport Select 2.0 33.5"

:odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Double wide 34" and F9 5 hybrid are extras

:1590477705_SunMountain: stand bag

3 minutes ago, Grand Stranded said:

The remark about the Mavrick really gave me a good laugh, lol.

My buddy is a really good player, and kills his driver. He's always looking for more though. At 52, he's 15-20 years younger than most of us, but only one of the other "young" guys can keep up with him in distance.

He started off this spring with the Mavrick, and didn't like it (it was the only driver I've seen him struggle with (I'd love to have his "struggles" though) so he traded it for a Sim. He's got a slight fade with it, but he's been just demolishing it all year. Then he tells me he and the Callaway rep created what he calls his Frankenstein driver.... It's a Mavrick head, with the RCH stock shaft they put in the new Big Bertha driver. They also changed out the weight in the bottom of the head to one that weighs about 15 grams. What the new weight accomplishes, I have no idea, but he played the club Saturday. 

Now he has a draw, and is maybe another 15 yards longer.🙄 According to what the rep told him, it turns out the RCH shaft works better for most players with the Mavrick head than the Bertha it was designed for. They then dial in something or other with the weights.... 

Shows that getting a good fitting can put together some great combos. 

• Like 8

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Ten S      Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

The remark about the Mavrick really gave me a good laugh, lol.
My buddy is a really good player, and kills his driver. He's always looking for more though. At 52, he's 10-20 years younger than most of us, but only one of the other early 50's guys can keep up with him in distance.
Now he has a draw, and is maybe another 15 yards longer. According to what the rep told him, it turns out the RCH shaft works better for most players with the Mavrick head than the Bertha it was designed for. They then dial in something or other with the weights.... 

This guy is 6-7 years younger than me which doesn’t seem like much but there’s a big deal between 66 & 74. I was always a bit longer than him but at same time I’ve been struggling and he bought the Mavrik and yes he is a lot longer. BUT this morning I was throwing some shade on his new length and he wasn’t happy.
It’s all good fun as we do a considerable amount of @@@ busting.
I mean a lot.

Shows that getting a good fitting can put together some great combos. 

Very True!

• Like 5

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Ping G410 Plus

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead

Irons; Ping G410 5-SW & Mizno 919 Hot Metal 5-SW

Putter; Waaay too many to list

9 minutes ago, Rickp said:

This guy is 6-7 years younger than me which doesn’t seem like much but there’s a big deal between 66 & 74. I was always a bit longer than him but at same time I’ve been struggling and he bought the Mavrik and yes he is a lot longer. BUT this morning I was throwing some shade on his new length and he wasn’t happy.
It’s all good fun as we do a considerable amount of @@@ busting.
I mean a lot.

Very True!

Trust me, I know what you're talking about with the age thing, I see it, and agree with you 100% . I've been down south almost ten years now, and I turned 66 on 6/25. I keep myself in pretty good shape, but I've noticed a slight loss of distance the last two years or so.

It seems the guys my age (low to mid sixties) are holding pretty steady for the most part, however it's really noticeable with the guys I've played with all those years who are 5-10 years older than me. Lots of high lofted drivers with light weight shafts, more hybrids and/or FWs added to the bag, and senior flex shafts...

The older guys who are either very good, or work out a lot harder than most are willing to, seem to maintain what they have a little better, but lets face it.... we're all battling against Father Time, and he's a tough man to beat. All we can do is try to battle him to a draw for as long as possible. 

• Like 6

:ping-small: G400 Max 9* set at 10* Alta Reg

:callaway-small: Epic Flash 15* Evenflow 5.0

:cobra-small: F9 Speedback 3&4 Atmos Reg

PXG 0211 5-GW MMT 70 

:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 52-F & 56- S (bent to 57*)

:scotty-small: Newport Select 2.0 33.5"

:odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Double wide 34" and F9 5 hybrid are extras

:1590477705_SunMountain: stand bag