Our Sponsors

11 minutes ago, Rickp said:

Played twilight 9 hole Exec w SWMBO last night. Found a Tee Time and hoped we would not be joined by anyone else since she hasn’t played we think in almost 2 years. But last minute 2 guys jumped in on the other 2 open spots. SWMBO was a nervous wreck until she striped her 1st Tee Shot 125 yards pin high! I had her mix it up on which Tee she played so every Tee shot was in her favor. The 2 other guys were fine, they have SWMBO’s that play so we’re sympathetic, we had groups in front us that were a little slow so took pressure off me.
Anyway she got a few Pars, chipping/putting were a bit of a problem. She kicked our butts and evening went well.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

How are you doing with the new 710's, Rick? 

I'm breaking in a lot of new stuff all at once. Irons, wedges and putter, with new Cobra F9 hybrids on the way. It's been fun, but a bit of a roller coaster ride. I'm happy with everything so far, but I'm doing a lot of adjusting on the fly right now... not quite in a comfort zone yet. 🙄 

Edited by Grand Stranded
  • Like 4

Driver     :callaway-small: Epic Max 10.5* Cypher 5.0

Fairway  :titelist-small: TS2 16.5* Kuro Kage R

Hybrids  :titelist-small: TS2 19* & 21* Kuro Kage R

Irons       PXG  0211 5-GW MMT 70

Wedges :titelist-small: Vokey SM7 52F & 58-M

Putter    :titelist-small: :scotty-small: Newport 2.0 33.5"

Bag       :titelist-small: Hybrid 5 stand or :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5+

Extras   :yes-small: Tracy 33.5” 

:ping-small: G400 Max 9.0* Alta CB

• Replies 16.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

+4 75 (40/35) 6/13 FiR 8/18 GiR 28 putts First ace today! #17, 121y PW that dunked into the cup. Best part was the group in front was part of our group, and waved us on since we we

Today was a good day.  First hole in one ever.  50° Cobra King wedge from 120 yards.  Hit just past the hole and spun back in. Shot 73 to tie my lowest round ever. Won my match 8 and 6

... Well I have had 4 months of mediocre, out right bad and some occasionally pretty decent golf but only 3 total at par or under out of about 100 rounds. That said, I think I am finally figuring out

Posted Images

On 11/19/2020 at 7:53 PM, fixyurdivot said:

I'm finding the Cobras to be about 9-12 yards shorter, depending on loft, and launching even higher than my gamers -

What are the lofts on each 7 iron? Isn’t the ping a super GI with highly jacked lofts?

• Like 1

:callaway-small: MavriK Sub Zero 9* on EvenFlow RipTide 6.0 50g

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:cobra-small: F8 5/6 wood on Aldila NxT GEN MLT R

:Hogan: Combo iron set -8,9,per Icon 5,6,7 PtxPro 4-UiHi on Recoil 780 ES f4 Stiff shafts (best clubs ever)

:benhogan-small: Equalizer 50°, 54°, 60° wedges on Recoil 780 f4

:EVNROLL: ER3 34”

:titelist-small: ProV1x

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 shoes

How are you doing with the new 710's, Rick? 
I'm breaking in a lot of new stuff all at once. Irons, wedges and putter, with new Cobra F9 hybrids on the way. It's been fun, but a bit of a roller coaster ride. I'm happy with everything so far, but I'm doing a lot of adjusting on the fly right now... not quite in a comfort zone yet.  

I like the G710’s a lot. Last night didn’t hit them well but when I play w SWMBO I usually don’t, it’s distracting when I’m looking after her at same time but it’s all good!
Great getting her out and about and away from all bad news, she’s a terrible worrier and C19 hasn’t helped.

• Like 4

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Titleist TSi2, Kuro Kage 50 gr R2

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous Vista Pro R2

Irons; Ping G710 6-GW, Recoil 460 R2

Putter; Waaay too many to list

41 minutes ago, Sluggo42 said:

What are the lofts on each 7 iron? Isn’t the ping a super GI with highly jacked lofts?

Yes, the G410's are less lofted through the set.  They are categorized as a GI and are offered in a "power loft" spec as well (mine are standard loft). I knew this going into the experiment and that distances might be less - but not that much less. I think I'm coming to the conclusion that PD and GI are my sweet spot.  Heck, even a healthy population of the touring pro players are gaming them.  There seems to be a very small tradeoff in distance and workability for a strike zone the size of a dime vs. a quarter.  I think this data will be valuable to share with the fitter and I plan to bring the Cobra 6i & 7i along as well in case he wants me to hit them.

52 minutes ago, Rickp said:

I like the G710’s a lot.

Unless the fitter wants to move me elsewhere, I plan to test hit these.

• Like 3

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver | Official 2019 MGS Tester

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-UW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:ping-small: B61 Putter

Not going out today.  Temp dropped to 27º last night and the high is only going to be 40º.  It's 34º now at 10:30am so I'm guessing that there is at least a 2-3 hour frost delay.  That would mean that our 10am tee time won't be until about 1pm... wasted day.  High 40's tomorrow looks a lot better.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

14 hours ago, Kenny B said:

At the turn my wife got .. drinks

Oh yeah - she's a keeper! 😉 😂
(..and hope her hand heals fully and quickly so she can start hitting golf balls again!)

• Like 5

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
..Tour Edge Exotics EXS 3W/HL (17*) and EXS 7W (both Tensei CK Blue)
..Callaway Super Hybrid 23 (PX Catalyst) and Big Bertha 19 5H (Recoil ZTR)
..PXG 0211 6i-GW (Mitsubishi MMT) 
..Cleveland CBX2 54 and CBX 60 (both Rotex graphite)
..Evnroll ER5 (33", 385g, P2 Reflex Tour)
..all in a Datrek bag on a Bag Boy Quad XL push an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart.

Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator

14 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

So here's a 16 year old breaking the club record

SIXTEEN!!?? Wow.... can you say, "young phenom" 👍

• Like 4

..all in a Datrek bag on a Bag Boy Quad XL push an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart.

My last three rounds were 87, 76 (same course) & 88. Stupid game...

• Like 5
  • Callaway Rogue 10.5° & 3W
  • Mizuno CLK 3H 19°, JPX900 Forged 4-GW, S18 56.10, S18 60.06
  • Evnroll ER5B (replaced ER2)
  • Snell MTB-Black
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
4 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Since it was another nice golf day, I decided to hit the links this morning. I decided that I wouldn't keep score today. I wanted to work on a few things. I played well probably in the lower seventys. But it wasnt about how I played it was about how a young member of our club just played yesterday.  About a week ago he was trying to break the clubs low score record. He tied it with a 62. Yesterday he broke the record with a 61 from the blue tees with club witnesses. So here's a 16 year old breaking the club record, and when im playing my best from the white tees he beats me by 10 strokes playing from the blues. I would venture to say i'll see him on TV in the future. He was out there again playing this morning.

... Shooting a 61 at any age is the sign of a very elite player. As scores drop below par, every score is exponentially greater than the previous score. Meaning it is pretty easy to go from a career low of 79 to a 78, but going from a 69 to a 68 is extremely difficult. Anything under a 66 is a display of excellence on every level of your game, yet some luck might make it possible, like a hole in one or chipping in several times or holing long improbable putts. But to shoot a 62 and follow it with a 61 is the elite of the elite. I think the only difference between an elite player and a PGA Tour player is mental toughness and smart decision making. A 62 and a 61 at 16 yrs of age already shows mental toughness and probably means the sky is the limit. Just crazy impressive. 

• Like 9

Driver:   TaylorMade SIM2 Max ... Diamana Limited 60R
Fairway:  Cobra SZ 14.5* ... Atmos Blue TS 7S
Utility:   Callaway Super Hybrid 17*   ... Diamana Limited 65R
               TaylorMade DHy 19* ... Diamana Limited 65R
Irons:    4-Pw Cobra King Tour MIM ... Nippon 950gh r-flex
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 50* ... Nippon 950gh r-flex
                 Mizuno T20 58* ... Nippon 950gh r-flex
Putter:  Cleveland Hunting Beach Soft 11S 33.5"
Ball:      TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

4 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Shooting a 61 at any age is the sign of a very elite player. As scores drop below par, every score is exponentially greater than the previous score. Meaning it is pretty easy to go from a career low of 79 to a 78, but going from a 69 to a 68 is extremely difficult. Anything under a 66 is a display of excellence on every level of your game, yet some luck might make it possible, like a hole in one or chipping in several times or holing long improbable putts. But to shoot a 62 and follow it with a 61 is the elite of the elite. I think the only difference between an elite player and a PGA Tour player is mental toughness and smart decision making. A 62 and a 61 at 16 yrs of age already shows mental toughness and probably means the sky is the limit. Just crazy impressive. 

I know he is home schooled and does well. He playes golf almost every day. The course rating is 72/125 so its not that easy either.  He certainly has a golf future ahead of him. 

• Like 3

:ping-small: Driver, G400 11* SR Flex

:taylormade-small: 3 Wood, SLDR  HL 17*  R Flex

:taylormade-small: 5 Wood, SLDR 19* R Flex

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, F6 22.5* R Flex

:Sub70: Irons, 699 Pro's S Flex (5 - AW)

:Sub70:  JB Wedge 56*

:cleveland-small: Wedge, CBX 60*

:odyssey-small: Putter, Marksman Fang 35"

3 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I know he is home schooled and does well. He playes golf almost every day. The course rating is 72/125 so its not that easy either.  He certainly has a golf future ahead of him. 

... A 62/61 on any course is just unreal. You still have to hit fairways and greens and make your putts. Have you had a chance to play with him? . 

• Like 3

Driver:   TaylorMade SIM2 Max ... Diamana Limited 60R
Fairway:  Cobra SZ 14.5* ... Atmos Blue TS 7S
Utility:   Callaway Super Hybrid 17*   ... Diamana Limited 65R
               TaylorMade DHy 19* ... Diamana Limited 65R
Irons:    4-Pw Cobra King Tour MIM ... Nippon 950gh r-flex
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 50* ... Nippon 950gh r-flex
                 Mizuno T20 58* ... Nippon 950gh r-flex
Putter:  Cleveland Hunting Beach Soft 11S 33.5"
Ball:      TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

1 minute ago, chisag said:

... A 62/61 on any course is just unreal. You still have to hit fairways and greens and make your putts. Have you had a chance to play with him? . 

I have not played with him. He playes with his buddies all around the same age. His buddies are members as well. All of them would kick my butt. I'm usually finishing up playing when they are teeing off. I watched him play some and watched him on the range. Impressive to say the least. His average driving distance yesterday was 313.  15 gir

Don't know if I would want to play with someone that good. It might discourage me. I've played the best I ever played this year shot 68 twice and struggling to hold onto a 1.3 handicap. It was a 1.2 in August. It sure is hard to maintain a low handicap when you only play once a week. Sometimes twice. This working for a living sucks. I leave the house its dark. I get home from work its dark. That only leaves the weekend.

• Like 9

:ping-small: Driver, G400 11* SR Flex

:taylormade-small: 3 Wood, SLDR  HL 17*  R Flex

:taylormade-small: 5 Wood, SLDR 19* R Flex

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, F6 22.5* R Flex

:Sub70: Irons, 699 Pro's S Flex (5 - AW)

:Sub70:  JB Wedge 56*

:cleveland-small: Wedge, CBX 60*

:odyssey-small: Putter, Marksman Fang 35"

Played an unexpected 18 with my wife yesterday - we'd actually planned on 9 at a course we haven't been to for a few years (where we got a tee time last minute on a nice Saturday) and I totally forgot that after #6 there's a loooooooong walk to the next tee. Like a full 5 minutes of brisk pace walking! (at least there were porta-potties along the way for her) And then #9 green is oriented to the further direction away from that path, so once you're out on that side well you're playing the whole thing! 

So.. I didn't think I was playing / scoring all that well; I've adopted the habit of marking my card with "Bo" (bogey), "Dbl", etc. instead of numbers and not counting up until we're sitting down afterwards with some pain killers 🍺🍷.

Ended up with a 91 which is one of my better 18 hole rounds!

6 Pars
6 Bogeys (one 3-putt bogey)
5 Doubles and 1 (gulp) Quad
---
2 penalties after approaches went wide and lost the balls under leaves
3 x 2-chips and (gulp) 1x3-chip (contributed to that Quad)
1 x 3-putt (and 3 x 1-putts) for total *EDIT* 32 putts

Tee shots were the happy surprise of the day (played the Senior tees and I tee off with my 4W) - some, but not all, were "good" and all were playable; had one pop-up but then I *pounded* the second into a good layup spot plus had one badly chunked on the #17 uphill Par 3 into a messy lie but i got a PW on it and got it out and onto the front of the green.

Chipping, as you can see, was the disappointment. On some missed approaches I had a few dodgy lies but didn't always catch the ball cleanly; I also ended up in a  few bunkers and got out OK but hit it either too far or not far enough ... so distance control out of the bunkers is yet another golf skill to be learned and developed...

Putting was generally solid. Though a bunch of first putts were not left real close, did have two or three first putts that stopped literally within 1-2 inches; and all .. save one .. second putts were sunk with good line and speed.

Had two or three GIRs and two or three up & downs - I know that doesn't sound so hot but for me it was an improvement. Another spot I could've improved was *not* pulling my 7i - wasn't hitting it so well at the range the day before so there was no reason to think I would do better this day, buuut... took me three or four wasted shots to finally convince myself not to touch it again...

So not sure if #18 Par 5 was my "best" hole but happy with how it turned out .. solid tee shot down the right side of the fairway, solid second over to the left side to a good layup and then a very solidly struck 9i towards the slightly elevated green that I pulled a bit left but still managed to hit the green; first putt right on-line but I brushed the bottom of the putter against the grass _juuuust_ a bit so came up short with about 7-8 feet slightly downhill and slightly right-to-left to go .. nailed it!!

• Like 8

Played yesterday in yet another bitter cold day that should have kept me home instead of on the links.  It was about 36 when we teed off and I swear it was colder by the time we hit #12.   I was playing fairly well until #9 and the wheels seem to fall off.  Ended up shooting 84. 😞 

• Like 7

Driver: :ping-small: G400 Max 9 degree Alta CB55 Stiff shaft 

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M4 3W (16.5*), 5W (21*), 7W (24*), Atmos shaft R

Irons: :callaway-small:Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW KBS Tour Graphite  70g shafts R

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX-2 52*, 56*, 60* wedges.  Stock shafts.

Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7S

Ball: :Snell: MTB-X

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

Trying to work on some swing changes and a grip change and of course that means that I played as bad as possible. Couldn't even hit a pitch shot right. Near the end of the round, figured out what was going wrong, then i could at least start to hit pitch shots well again. 

Had a range session after the round. Found that as i have been working on swing changes, my tempo got slow. And when my tempo gets slow, bad things happen. Sequencing gets really really off. So I sped up my tempo while hitting some balls, and of course i hit the ball much better.

Got home and recorded myself doing the parallel to parallel drill that my instructor asked me to work on. I did it with what I think is my good "fast" tempo, but not trying to swing too hard. When I watched the video, this "fast" tempo actually looks really smooth and controlled on video. No wonder my swing sucked out on the course, my tempo must have been like the speed of a loaded up minivan. 

• Like 3

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Current tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 12/27/2020
Driver:titelist-small: TSi 2 - Graphite Design AD-XC 6S
Hybrids:taylormade-small: SIM Max 3H, 4H - Matrix Ozik 85S
Irons:srixon-small: ZX5 5 - PW - Nippon Modus 120 S
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX 2 54, CBX Full Face 58 - KBS Hi-Rev S
Putter:  :EVNROLL: ER2

2 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Wow, that is impressive. 

• Like 1

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver | Official 2019 MGS Tester

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-UW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:ping-small: B61 Putter

I like the G710’s a lot. Last night didn’t hit them well but when I play w SWMBO I usually don’t, it’s distracting when I’m looking after her at same time but it’s all good!
Great getting her out and about and away from all bad news, she’s a terrible worrier and C19 hasn’t helped.

Forgot to mention this. There is a Par 4 hard dogleg right that you need 200+ to even get a sniff of the green that has water & traps guarding it. One of the Guys we played w last evening hit driver but to far right and was still blocked out and was in hard pan, he didn’t hesitate pulled his Driver and sliced a loooww shot under the trees and rolled middle of green, hell of a shot!!
I hit a couple irons, short wedge and one putted , lucky, I hate that hole.

• Like 4

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Titleist TSi2, Kuro Kage 50 gr R2

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous Vista Pro R2

Irons; Ping G710 6-GW, Recoil 460 R2

Putter; Waaay too many to list

My wife and I played Caloosa in Sun City Center today. A ho hum 88 for me. The Bermuda grass rough is killing me. At one of the tee boxes this big fellow was watching us. Doesn't look big in the photos but had to be a good 12 feet. My partner was watching him as I was teeing off - didn't want any surprises as my back was turned to him.
IMG_5965.thumb.JPG.1e549eeddd76da55c5d7611977cd5323.JPG

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 5

Left Hand orientation

:ping-small: G410 SFT driver 

Cobra King F-9  5 wood
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Snell MTB-X 

2020 Official Tester :SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Got out today it was 48F max could have been better. Birdied thr first hole which game me hope. Finished 12 over but glad I can get out.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 5

Driver:  Ben Hogan GS53
3W:  Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead 2
2i: Maltby KE4 FDI 
4-PW:  Maltby TS-1 - C-Taper 120g 
50º: Maltby TSW

56º:  Cleveland RTX-2 
60º: Maltby Tour Grind MG
Putter:  Odyssey White Hot RX 2-ball

Ball: Snell MTB X
Other: Arccos (first year lets see how it goes)
Handicap: 5.9  -  Best Score: 73 (1 over) Bryan Park - Players Course, Greensboro NC -2020

2020 MGS Forum Tester - Ben Hogan GS53 Driver