Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Our Sponsors

  • Replies 16.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Today was a good day.  First hole in one ever.  50° Cobra King wedge from 120 yards.  Hit just past the hole and spun back in. Shot 73 to tie my lowest round ever. Won my match 8 and 6

Un-bloody-conscious! I still can't believe it but I shot a 79! 57% FIR 33% GIR 30 putts.  

****Alert ***** Alert!******Alert!****** sluggo shoots a new PB today !!!!!!!!!!!   -4.......    67. .......    -4. .....    67!   ..... It was a Great day to say the least, and the o

Posted Images

I played the Dye Course at my club today in our Saturday league.

There was a cold,steady rain through the front 9, just a miserable morning. I had no warmup, because I waited until minutes before my tee time to check in, hoping they'd call the game off. 

First hole I plugged short of the green, and was afraid to land my pitch short of it thinking it would plop and stop. Instead I hit it a little too hard and it went well past the pin. Came up way short as my first putt looked like it was hydroplaning over water, missed the next for a double. Hooked my tee shot OB on two, ended up with a triple. 5 over after 2, and muttering to myself for not staying home.

3rd hole hit a 5 iron 165 to within 3 feet, made birdie, and everything turned around. I ended up 44-39-83 on a long wet golf course.

I came in second in gross, but never had a chance in net. So many guys dropped out they combined the A and B flights. The B's are 18 and up, and they all play the green tees. It's incredible the net scores they come in with. Net 65 took 4th today....

Edited by Grand Stranded
  • Like 7

Driver     :ping-small: G400 Max 9* Alta R

Fairway  :callaway-small: Rogue 15* Quaranta 

Hybrids  :callaway-small: Rogue X 18* & 20* Synergy R

Irons       PXG    2021 0211 5-GW MMT70

Wedges :titelist-small: Vokey SM7 52F & 58-M

Putter    :titelist-small: :scotty-small: Newport 2.0 33.5"

Bag       :titelist-small: Hybrid 5   or  :1590477705_SunMountain: 4.0

In reserve :callaway-small: Rogue X 23*

                 :yes-small: Tracy 33.5" 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Grand Stranded said:

 

 

**EDIT*** I totally screwed this post up, LOL. I meant to quote @ncwoz and quoted MYSELF instead. 🙄

I saw the pics you posted of your new irons, and they're beauties.

Just an aside, but I think "total putts" is the most irrelevant stat in golf, unless you're a very low handicap player who hits a ton of greens. I used to count putts every round until one of my leagues started paying the player with lowest number of putts every so often. The first time I won it, I couldn't hit a green all day with my irons. Even my good shots stopped on or near the fringe. Every hole was the same thing, I'd either putt or chip it on. If I holed the next putt it was a one putt, even if I missed I was taking two putts. I don't remember my exact total, but it was around 26-7 putts. I shot in the mid to high 80's with a lot of bogeys and a couple of doubles.

That's when I realized for a player at my level, the worse my approach shots are, the lower my total number of putts will be.

Edited by Grand Stranded
  • Like 6

Driver     :ping-small: G400 Max 9* Alta R

Fairway  :callaway-small: Rogue 15* Quaranta 

Hybrids  :callaway-small: Rogue X 18* & 20* Synergy R

Irons       PXG    2021 0211 5-GW MMT70

Wedges :titelist-small: Vokey SM7 52F & 58-M

Putter    :titelist-small: :scotty-small: Newport 2.0 33.5"

Bag       :titelist-small: Hybrid 5   or  :1590477705_SunMountain: 4.0

In reserve :callaway-small: Rogue X 23*

                 :yes-small: Tracy 33.5" 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

I posted about my round over in the Classic Bag Challenge thread, but thought I'd give a rundown on it here. Played nine holes today posting a score of 61. The round started out good as I was sitting at +7 through the first five holes. I went bogey, double, double, double, par. I was pretty proud of the past on the fifth as I hit a good drive on the left hand side of the fairway and followed that up with a 145 yard shot that was dead on the pin, but rolled past. Two putts later, and one of those being from the fringe, par.

The round went sideways after that, but I had a good time with my wife joining me and keeping good company as we got stuck behind some slower players on the sixth. 20201128_142424-01.jpeg.7ee2d6ba2a2bb1c2b31d7414fc978148.jpeg

I think having to slow down killed what momentum I had going and was +18 on the final four holes capped off by an 11 on the par 4 ninth. 

I'm not going to complain, I hit some great shots that I'm proud of since I was playing with persimmon woods and bladed irons. I had a second shot on the 4th that landed close to a small tree leaving me 100 yards to the pin and I hit a nice 8 iron pin high just off the green to the left. I also hit a drive on 7 that gave me a legitimate shot to the green (99 yards) that I just duffed. I also was on with the putter, my lag putting was good and I even sunk one from 22 feet.

It was a great day to be on the course, even considering my play was terrible. Good company and playing this game I love made it an amazing round. 

I'm loving your hat and sweater. You look like you're ready to tee it up at The Old Course at St. Andrews!!! 👍

  • Like 3

Driver     :ping-small: G400 Max 9* Alta R

Fairway  :callaway-small: Rogue 15* Quaranta 

Hybrids  :callaway-small: Rogue X 18* & 20* Synergy R

Irons       PXG    2021 0211 5-GW MMT70

Wedges :titelist-small: Vokey SM7 52F & 58-M

Putter    :titelist-small: :scotty-small: Newport 2.0 33.5"

Bag       :titelist-small: Hybrid 5   or  :1590477705_SunMountain: 4.0

In reserve :callaway-small: Rogue X 23*

                 :yes-small: Tracy 33.5" 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Grand Stranded said:

 

**EDIT*** I totally screwed this post up, LOL. I meant to quote @ncwoz and quoted MYSELF instead. 🙄

I saw the pics you posted of your new irons, and they're beauties.

Just an aside, but I think "total putts" is the most irrelevant stat in golf, unless you're a very low handicap player who hits a ton of greens. I used to count putts every round until one of my leagues started paying the player with lowest number of putts every so often. The first time I won it, I couldn't hit a green all day with my irons. Even my good shots stopped on or near the fringe. Every hole was the same thing, I'd either putt or chip it on. If I holed the next putt it was a one putt, even if I missed I was taking two putts. I don't remember my exact total, but it was around 26-7 putts. I shot in the mid to high 80's with a lot of bogeys and a couple of doubles.

That's when I realized for a player at my level, the worse my approach shots are, the lower my total number of putts will be.

Yep!  I miss a lot of greens, but I average 30-31 putts per round.  However, I don't think "total putts" is an irrelevant stat, but it has to be considered with GIR.  If I only counted putts per GIR, I would average 35-36 putts.  So, it does provide an indication of ability to get up and down from off the green.

  • Like 4

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

I posted about my round over in the Classic Bag Challenge thread, but thought I'd give a rundown on it here. Played nine holes today posting a score of 61. The round started out good as I was sitting at +7 through the first five holes. I went bogey, double, double, double, par. I was pretty proud of the past on the fifth as I hit a good drive on the left hand side of the fairway and followed that up with a 145 yard shot that was dead on the pin, but rolled past. Two putts later, and one of those being from the fringe, par.

The round went sideways after that, but I had a good time with my wife joining me and keeping good company as we got stuck behind some slower players on the sixth. 20201128_142424-01.jpeg.7ee2d6ba2a2bb1c2b31d7414fc978148.jpeg

I think having to slow down killed what momentum I had going and was +18 on the final four holes capped off by an 11 on the par 4 ninth. 

I'm not going to complain, I hit some great shots that I'm proud of since I was playing with persimmon woods and bladed irons. I had a second shot on the 4th that landed close to a small tree leaving me 100 yards to the pin and I hit a nice 8 iron pin high just off the green to the left. I also hit a drive on 7 that gave me a legitimate shot to the green (99 yards) that I just duffed. I also was on with the putter, my lag putting was good and I even sunk one from 22 feet.

It was a great day to be on the course, even considering my play was terrible. Good company and playing this game I love made it an amazing round. 

Have you tried letting your wife drive the cart... essentially be your caddie.  While my wife has been on "injured reserve" with her hand surgery, I had her drive the cart and I just rode... played pretty well too!

Now that she has the stitches out, she's getting back into playing and likes to grab a wedge and putter and walk up towards the green and pitch/chip a ball or two, so I'm back driving again.

  • Like 4

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Grand Stranded said:

 

**EDIT*** I totally screwed this post up, LOL. I meant to quote @ncwoz and quoted MYSELF instead. 🙄

I saw the pics you posted of your new irons, and they're beauties.

Just an aside, but I think "total putts" is the most irrelevant stat in golf, unless you're a very low handicap player who hits a ton of greens. I used to count putts every round until one of my leagues started paying the player with lowest number of putts every so often. The first time I won it, I couldn't hit a green all day with my irons. Even my good shots stopped on or near the fringe. Every hole was the same thing, I'd either putt or chip it on. If I holed the next putt it was a one putt, even if I missed I was taking two putts. I don't remember my exact total, but it was around 26-7 putts. I shot in the mid to high 80's with a lot of bogeys and a couple of doubles.

That's when I realized for a player at my level, the worse my approach shots are, the lower my total number of putts will be.

Yep, I totally understand what you're saying. I usually have a pretty good feel throughout the round though if I'm putting well or not, and I let putts and GIR accent the story of how the putting was going for the round.

2 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

Yep!  I miss a lot of greens, but I average 30-31 putts per round.  However, I don't think "total putts" is an irrelevant stat, but it has to be considered with GIR.  If I only counted putts per GIR, I would average 35-36 putts.  So, it does provide an indication of ability to get up and down from off the green.

That's a really good point. I know there's plenty of times for my round my number of putts can show how well my scrambling was, or by how good my approach game was.

  • Like 5

Right Handed

Driver (9°): :cobra-small: Speedzone (HZRDUS Smoke Green 70g X-Stiff shaft)

FW (15°): :callaway-logo-1: X2 Hot (Aldila Tour Green 75 Tx Stiff shaft)

Hybrid (18°): :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

Irons (PW-4)  post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS-1's (KBS $-Taper 120g Stiff shafts)

Wedges (50° & 54°): post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TSW Forged (Dynamic Gold S300)

Wedge (60°): :callaway-logo-1: Mack Daddy 2

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B (2019 MGS Official Review here)

Ball: :Snell: MTB-Black OR MAXFLI Tour

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

Yep!  I miss a lot of greens, but I average 30-31 putts per round.  However, I don't think "total putts" is an irrelevant stat, but it has to be considered with GIR.  If I only counted putts per GIR, I would average 35-36 putts.  So, it does provide an indication of ability to get up and down from off the green.

Lets say we both hit a green in two, Kenny. 

We were both 100 out. You stuck your wedge to within 3 feet. I bladed mine and I'm on the back of the green 40 feet away.

I roll my first putt inside 2 feet, make it for par. You pull your 3 foot birdie putt and tap in for your par also.

We both had two putts, right? Yet I'm walking off like I stole something, and you're upset with yourself.

I judge my putting by how well I do with the "important" putts. You know, the makeable birdie, the long lag, that par save when you really need it... that's what determines how good I'm putting, not a total number.

I read something once that always stuck with me... Let's say you were given odds to beat a Tour Pro at either one of two things. Playing him from the tips, tee to the green (no putting), OR a putting contest from 30 feet over the course of 18 holes.

You're going to have a much better chance of beating him with the putter. Take a look at the "make" percentages from different distances like 5-10, 20, 30 feet for a Pro, to a player of your level and even a high handicapper. They aren't that different.

I think scoring well is way more dependent on good ball striking (especially with the irons) than good putting. 

Edited by Grand Stranded
  • Like 3

Driver     :ping-small: G400 Max 9* Alta R

Fairway  :callaway-small: Rogue 15* Quaranta 

Hybrids  :callaway-small: Rogue X 18* & 20* Synergy R

Irons       PXG    2021 0211 5-GW MMT70

Wedges :titelist-small: Vokey SM7 52F & 58-M

Putter    :titelist-small: :scotty-small: Newport 2.0 33.5"

Bag       :titelist-small: Hybrid 5   or  :1590477705_SunMountain: 4.0

In reserve :callaway-small: Rogue X 23*

                 :yes-small: Tracy 33.5" 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Grand Stranded said:

I'm loving your hat and sweater. You look like you're ready to tee it up at The Old Course at St. Andrews!!! 👍

Thank you! One of the challenges of our competition is best classic outfit and this is what I wore as mine. 

12 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

Have you tried letting your wife drive the cart... essentially be your caddie.  While my wife has been on "injured reserve" with her hand surgery, I had her drive the cart and I just rode... played pretty well too!

Now that she has the stitches out, she's getting back into playing and likes to grab a wedge and putter and walk up towards the green and pitch/chip a ball or two, so I'm back driving again.

I usually let her drive when we go together, she gets a kick out of driving the cart and I love making her happy. She complains that I drive too fast when I'm in control. 

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

Played well today.  I changed my time over the ball.  I committed to each shot before I got over the ball and then hit the ball.  

I had been spending to much time over the ball thinking about things that can effect the shot ie wind, slope, lie.  Today I committed to all those things before approaching the ball and then trusted myself to just hit the shot.  Shot a tidy 69

  • Like 5
  • Love 1

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash 10.5 * Accra Tour Z TZ6 55 M3 pure 

Fairways: Callaway Mavrick 15*  19*  Accra FX 2.0-100F M3 pure  

Hybrid: Callaway Mavrick 4 Hybrid Accra FX 2.0-100H60 M3 pure  

PXG Gen 3 0311 P 5-Gap  Fujikura Pro 75 REG pure

Callaway Jaws 54/10 F and 58/10 X grind raw  

utter: Scotty Camron Special Select Fastback 1.5  Stock pistol grip 34" w/Stablity shaft

Ball: Callaway Chrome Soft Truvis USA Ball

All clubs have Winn Dri-Tac Wraps oversized

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Grand Stranded said:

Lets say we both hit a green in two, Kenny. 

We were both 100 out. You stuck your wedge to within 3 feet. I bladed mine and I'm on the back of the green 40 feet away.

I roll my first putt inside 2 feet, make it for par. You pull your 3 foot birdie putt and tap in for your par also.

We both had two putts, right? Yet I'm walking off like I stole something, and you're upset with yourself.

I judge my putting by how well I do with the "important" puuts. You know, the makeable birdie, the long lag, that par save when you really need it... that's what determines how good I'm putting, not a total number.

I read something once that always stuck with me... Let's say you were given 50-1 odds to beat a Tour Pro at either one of two things. Playing him from HIS tees to the green (no putting), OR a putting contest from 30 feet over the course of 18 holes.

You're going to have a much better chance of beating him with the putter. Take a look at the "make" percentages from different distances like 10, 20, 30 feet from a Pro, to a player of your level and even a high handicapper. They aren't that different.

I think scoring well is way more dependent on good ball striking*especially with the irons) than good putting. 

I agree completely!  I will say that it makes a big difference on the players ability, and each player has different strengths and expectations.  

Let's take me for example, since I know me best.  There will be very few times in an 18 hole round that I hit a ball close to the pin with any club from 100+ yards.  So, if I do hit my ball to 3 feet, I better make that putt... or any shot to 3 feet from off the green.  I don't always obviously, but I practice enough that I don't miss many.  

But I do miss a lot of greens.  So, I practice chips/pitches getting the ball within 3-4 feet where I will make a high percentage of putts.  I will never score well from good approach shots, and I have grown to accept that.  However, if my short game is working well, then I can score well.  So, for me scoring is way more dependent on good chipping, pitching and putting.  Good short game = 75-79;  bad short game = 85-89.

 

  • Like 5

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

I agree completely!  I will say that it makes a big difference on the players ability, and each player has different strengths and expectations.  

Let's take me for example, since I know me best.  There will be very few times in an 18 hole round that I hit a ball close to the pin with any club from 100+ yards.  So, if I do hit my ball to 3 feet, I better make that putt... or any shot to 3 feet from off the green.  I don't always obviously, but I practice enough that I don't miss many.  

But I do miss a lot of greens.  So, I practice chips/pitches getting the ball within 3-4 feet where I will make a high percentage of putts.  I will never score well from good approach shots, and I have grown to accept that.  However, if my short game is working well, then I can score well.  So, for me scoring is way more dependent on good chipping, pitching and putting.  Good short game = 75-79;  bad short game = 85-89.

 

Gotcha... and yes of course a good short game is crucial to most mere mortals. We're going to miss greens often, both because of our aging body, and ball striking issues.

There's nothing that frustrates me more than making a good bunker, or pitch shot, and missing the putt. All the good feeling goes away when I don't convert. It's so crucial to our scoring.

 What's the old saying? "Pros who make one putt pars are like dogs who chase cars... they don't last long."

Edited by Grand Stranded
  • Like 3

Driver     :ping-small: G400 Max 9* Alta R

Fairway  :callaway-small: Rogue 15* Quaranta 

Hybrids  :callaway-small: Rogue X 18* & 20* Synergy R

Irons       PXG    2021 0211 5-GW MMT70

Wedges :titelist-small: Vokey SM7 52F & 58-M

Putter    :titelist-small: :scotty-small: Newport 2.0 33.5"

Bag       :titelist-small: Hybrid 5   or  :1590477705_SunMountain: 4.0

In reserve :callaway-small: Rogue X 23*

                 :yes-small: Tracy 33.5" 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hour and a half frost delay today, but sunny and warmed up to mid 40's again.  Gorgeous!!  My first 4 holes were shots just like I imagined them, but only got pars; missed a very makable birdie on #4.  Then I scrambled for pars on #5 and 6, but bogeyed #7; parred #8 and 9... a +1 round of 38 for the front nine.  

My wife still can't play except for pitches, chips, and putts after her hand surgery, but on #2 she dropped a ball 35 yards from the green and holed the shot.

The back nine started with bogeys on #10 and 11; scrambled for par on #12 and 13; missed birdie putts on #14 and 15 before I bogeyed #16.  My only birdie came on an 8 footer on the par 3 #17.  Then... and then...  I made a string of poor decisions on #18.  I was +2 on the #18 tee and hit one of my worst drives of the day; short, right rough.  I could have hit a 9i to the fairway at the dogleg leaving 170y, but I thought I could squeeze my 2H between the tree on the left and the bunker on the right... Nope!  Nice shot, but didn't carry far enough... bunker, now 146y to the green all carry over bunker or water.  I should have punched a shot down the fairway, then a wedge over the sand again to the green for my 4th shot. I decided to try for green.  Two more bunker shots, one from 80y and another from 30y, and a fiasco on the green and I managed to end my round with a triple bogey.  So, +5 on the back nine for a round of 78.

Shoulda, woulda, coulda...  🙄

  • Like 7

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

My wife still can't play except for pitches, chips, and putts after her hand surgery, but on #2 she dropped a ball 35 yards from the green and holed the shot.

That's a heckuva shot, especially since she had the surgery. How much longer before she can get back out and play? 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

That's a heckuva shot, especially since she had the surgery. How much longer before she can get back out and play? 

I think about 2 more weeks.  She had stitches taken out last Tuesday.  It will all depend on how much vibration she can stand when hitting the ground.  I suspect she will be able to hit her driver before any clubs longer than a PW off the ground.

But the weather is turning cold this week, so I don't know if we will be playing much anyway.  Supposed to be low 20's to mid-30's this week.

  • Like 4

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...