Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

How'd you play?

MmmmmmBuddy

1 hour ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Surprisingly enough I got my groove back today. I was able to squeeze 9 holes in before the weather turned. I played 9 holes walking with the Motocaddy and testing the Cobalt Q6 out. I played the back 9 because the front was busy with groups that were there ahead of me. I hit all the fairways, made two sand saves and managed all pars except on hole 18. I was still short on many approaches, but my chipping was working well leaving me less than 5 footers for par.

I played hole 18 twice so far and it bit me in the butt both times. It's a par five 428 yards, dogleg right. You can hit driver off the tee if you can either cut it close to the right side or move the ball from left to right. The green is surrounded 3/4 of the way around by water. Essentially making it an island green (small island green).  The first time I played it I got greedy and hit a perfect drive leaving me 200 to the center of the green. The greens are small, so I don't know what I was thinking and went for it.  I was 4 inches short of perfect. I hit the top of the wood retaining wall. The ball bounced up and forward bounced once and off the back right side into the water. Today I said let's play smart golf. I again hit a great drive leaving me in position to go for the green with 190 yards out. I stuck to my guns and hit an easy 9 iron to put me about 60 yards out. Easy par this way. Well, I thought so. I hit my approach on to the green and it spun to the right a bit catching a slope heading toward the hole. But it kept going. All I could do was watch it roll off the green into the water. A drop, chip and putt for Bogey. All good though. I was glad to get out on the course and shoot one over for a 37. It really felt good to get out and play.          

I figured you'd find your groove fairly quick and it's good to hear you did. I think you've had the least amount of time on the course than you've had since I've known you but you have such good fundamentals that it just took a few times on the course. It sounds like that 18th hole is a beast! I personally don't like 400+ yard par 4's, can't come close to the green in two for love nor money. 

9 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Surprisingly enough I got my groove back today. I was able to squeeze 9 holes in before the weather turned. I played 9 holes walking with the Motocaddy and testing the Cobalt Q6 out. I played the back 9 because the front was busy with groups that were there ahead of me. I hit all the fairways, made two sand saves and managed all pars except on hole 18. I was still short on many approaches, but my chipping was working well leaving me less than 5 footers for par.

I played hole 18 twice so far and it bit me in the butt both times. It's a par five 428 yards, dogleg right. You can hit driver off the tee if you can either cut it close to the right side or move the ball from left to right. The green is surrounded 3/4 of the way around by water. Essentially making it an island green (small island green).  The first time I played it I got greedy and hit a perfect drive leaving me 200 to the center of the green. The greens are small, so I don't know what I was thinking and went for it.  I was 4 inches short of perfect. I hit the top of the wood retaining wall. The ball bounced up and forward bounced once and off the back right side into the water. Today I said let's play smart golf. I again hit a great drive leaving me in position to go for the green with 190 yards out. I stuck to my guns and hit an easy 9 iron to put me about 60 yards out. Easy par this way. Well, I thought so. I hit my approach on to the green and it spun to the right a bit catching a slope heading toward the hole. But it kept going. All I could do was watch it roll off the green into the water. A drop, chip and putt for Bogey. All good though. I was glad to get out on the course and shoot one over for a 37. It really felt good to get out and play.          

18th a hole with bite, I play those conservative a par is a bonus...

I’m a hacker who loves nothing more than to change how I play, be that grips shafts and heads its all fair game lol…

9 minutes ago, CarlH said:

Cold for the first 9 then warmed up to 50, wet and sloppy for all 18 holes following over 7 inches of rain in the last few days.  I hit more mud than ball on too many shots.  Managed to salvage an 84.  Nice day tomorrow, but more rain and cold coming again next week.  Come on, Spring!!

... I hear ya Carl! I know it is winter for many so I expect little sympathy as I am the equivalent of going to a homeless shelter and complaining about a 5 star restaurant not having my favorite dessert, but the weather here has just been abysmal. We put up with 3 months of triple digit summer temps and last June set a record with 6 days in a row over 115* so I expect my reward to be warm temps and blue skies in the winter. It has been in the 50's/60's with a chilly wind and rarely gotten to within 10* of the "normal average" temps for the last 3 months. 

... I don't play on the weekends just Mon-Fri everyday and it was 76* yesterday and 78* today then dropping to 58* - 64* (with 20 mph winds) - 57* - 60* in the middle of February when the average high should be 71*!!! My body has been boiled the last 3 summers to cope with the high heat so I have a blood viscosity of 20W-50 and no complaints with insanely hot summers because I signed up for them, but this winter has been brutal and evidently I need 5W-30 blood viscosity. 🥶 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

On 2/10/2023 at 4:43 PM, sirchunksalot said:

I figured you'd find your groove fairly quick and it's good to hear you did. I think you've had the least amount of time on the course than you've had since I've known you but you have such good fundamentals that it just took a few times on the course. It sounds like that 18th hole is a beast! I personally don't like 400+ yard par 4's, can't come close to the green in two for love nor money. 

Yep!  They are like par 5’s to me, and why I practice pitch shots and putting so much!!  It’s a satisfying par.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

8 hours ago, Kenny B said:

Yep!  They are like par 5’s to me, and why I practice pitch shots and putting so much!!  It’s a satisfying par.

I agree El Conquistador, I place a lot of emphasis on the value of short game. I'm not quite as long as to be able to reach those holes with driver and mid to short iron. I need to get back on speed training, but right now better contact is top of the priority list.

Plus, I love the creativity of the short game and the challenge of putting. There's just a level of satisfaction to lagging longer putts close and tapping them in.

9 hours ago, Kenny B said:

First good round for me this year, and I did it with a sore, stiff back!!  Day started cold at 26º but sunny and no wind; warmed up quickly to 51ª.  Our course had a tournament going but not a shotgun start, and we had a frost delay.  We started at 11:30am off the back nine.  

One birdie and one bogey on the first nine for Even Par 35.  The greens were the fastest I’ve seen since last fall; love putting when they are this fast.  I had several long par saves, including 2 sandys.  The second nine (our usual front nine) I had 4 bogeys, and happy with all of them!  Second nine 41.  So a round of 76, and this was a day I certainly didn’t have my “best stuff”.

76 definitely not shabby!!  

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

8 minutes ago, chisag said:

...  👍  Considering we will never drive it as far as Rory and never hit iron shots like Morikawa, most everyone has the physical ability to chip like Lydia Ko (the best on any tour) and putt like Tiger. Even an 80 yr old that has lost their power can chip and putt like a tour pro if they put in the practice.  

That I know for sure.  

Rick

Left Hand, 

9 minutes ago, chisag said:

...  👍  Considering we will never drive it as far as Rory and never hit iron shots like Morikawa, most everyone has the physical ability to chip like Lydia Ko (the best on any tour) and putt like Tiger. Even an 80 yr old that has lost their power can chip and putt like a tour pro if they put in the practice.  

Are we able to hit approach shots like Jin Young Ko? 😀

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

4 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Are we able to hit approach shots like Jin Young Ko? 😀

... Why not? Although not 63 times in a row. 🤪

3 hours ago, chisag said:

... Why not? Although not 63 times in a row. 🤪

That's what I want;  isn't that better than Morikawa who you said we can't hit iron shots like?

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

20 minutes ago, cnosil said:

That's what I want;  isn't that better than Morikawa who you said we can't hit iron shots like?

... MUCH better. 😇  But considering she hit 63 consecutive greens in a row and the closest to her is Tiger with 29, you may want to lower your goal juuuuust a hair. 

30 minutes ago, chisag said:

... MUCH better. 😇  But considering she hit 63 consecutive greens in a row and the closest to her is Tiger with 29, you may want to lower your goal juuuuust a hair. 

When Tiger looks at the stat and his mouth drops.... haha.  JYK for the win!!

• Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Titleist TSR2+ 3 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

20 minutes ago, Golfspy_TCB said:

When Tiger looks at the stat and his mouth drops.... haha.  JYK for the win!!

... What was ironic is once she missed a green, she spiraled downhill quickly and started missing most of them. Just shows how difficult this game is at any level! 

7 hours ago, chisag said:

Think there's something in the AIR/WATER lol, She's a good Kiwi and we're proud of her...

I’m a hacker who loves nothing more than to change how I play, be that grips shafts and heads its all fair game lol…

15 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

An almost identical round to yesterday, but we started earlier and I was colder; also a little breeze made it feel cooler.  

3 bogeys on the front 9 for a 40 and 2 bogeys on the back nine for a 37.  Backed up the 76 yesterday with a 77 today.  Nice to have a double-bogey-free weekend!!

The handicap committee is going to start an investigation 😁

Rick

Left Hand, 

16 minutes ago, Rickp said:

The handicap committee is going to start an investigation 😁

I don't care!!  It's a lot more fun that the 49 I had for 9 holes on Thursday!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”