Our Sponsors

10 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

My scores have been OK, but how I get them isn't OK.  I know I can play better than I have been, but wasted shots kill me.  It's not that I hit an errant shot; I just can't hit the ball.  I can't tell you how many times I have hit the ball in the fairway 150 yards from the green and then completely miss the ball with my next shot.  Fortunately, I get the ball within 30-40 yards of the green then make a par putt or at worst a bogey and not double.  

Yesterday I hit a poor tee shot on a par 5, topped my ball into a fairway bunker, hit a good shot out of the bunker to 145y out, chunked my 4th shot to 115y out, hit a decent 5th shot to a couple of feet in front of the green to a front pin location, chipped in for a bogey save.  At worst I should have been on the green or just short of the green in three shots where I can easily make a par.  It's been like this for a couple of weeks.  

I normally don't go out to play golf just for fun and have a good time.  I go out to play golf better than I did the last time I played golf.   I find it very difficult to enjoy being out there when I'm not hitting the shots I know I can hit.  On the positive side I have managed to recover enough to not make many doubles.  I have to figure out my issue before my short game goes on vacation.  Sorry for my rant... just frustrated.

I know your pain! My last round I found myself in great position off the tee and also did not have great approach shots or good putts for bird. 

A friend of mine says, "That's Golf." 

I say, "Hitting a round ball, with a crooked stick, at over 100mph from uneven terrain - never goes to plan."

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg

• Replies 16.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

+4 75 (40/35) 6/13 FiR 8/18 GiR 28 putts First ace today! #17, 121y PW that dunked into the cup. Best part was the group in front was part of our group, and waved us on since we we

Today was a good day.  First hole in one ever.  50° Cobra King wedge from 120 yards.  Hit just past the hole and spun back in. Shot 73 to tie my lowest round ever. Won my match 8 and 6

... Well I have had 4 months of mediocre, out right bad and some occasionally pretty decent golf but only 3 total at par or under out of about 100 rounds. That said, I think I am finally figuring out

Posted Images

11 hours ago, Kenny B said:

My scores have been OK, but how I get them isn't OK.  I know I can play better than I have been, but wasted shots kill me.  It's not that I hit an errant shot; I just can't hit the ball.  I can't tell you how many times I have hit the ball in the fairway 150 yards from the green and then completely miss the ball with my next shot.  Fortunately, I get the ball within 30-40 yards of the green then make a par putt or at worst a bogey and not double.  

Yesterday I hit a poor tee shot on a par 5, topped my ball into a fairway bunker, hit a good shot out of the bunker to 145y out, chunked my 4th shot to 115y out, hit a decent 5th shot to a couple of feet in front of the green to a front pin location, chipped in for a bogey save.  At worst I should have been on the green or just short of the green in three shots where I can easily make a par.  It's been like this for a couple of weeks.  

I normally don't go out to play golf just for fun and have a good time.  I go out to play golf better than I did the last time I played golf.   I find it very difficult to enjoy being out there when I'm not hitting the shots I know I can hit.  On the positive side I have managed to recover enough to not make many doubles.  I have to figure out my issue before my short game goes on vacation.  Sorry for my rant... just frustrated.

I hear ya Kenny.  Currently I'm in a putting funk.  My one putt make percentage has been horrid for the last handful of rounds.  It's hell hitting a great approach shot to within 10' and having a "just don't 3 putt the damn thing" mindset 😕.  

• Like 5

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver | Official 2019 MGS Tester

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-UW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:ping-small: B61 Putter

11 hours ago, Kenny B said:

You sound like me at times. We all have been there. I need to actually get back to more mental thinking to help my swing. I am not hitting the ball, it should be getting in the way and have confidence with every shot, even if you duffed your last one, that it will be the shot. 

• Like 5

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic Flash SZ with XStiff :Fuji:Pro 63. Testing Tensei Orange Pro S (1" tipped) at 44.75"

2H: :callaway-small: Super Hybrid with Tensei Orange Pro Hyb 80 Stiff (shaft may be swapped at some point) 

3H: :Sub70: 939X UST proforce V2 black F3 hybrid soft stepped XStiff UPRT setting or 2 DI:  th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0311X HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 2.5* upright

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 1/4" long Unofficial Review

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)  (Backup 54*,60*: :ping-small:  S Tour KBS Tour Stiff 3* up)

Putter: :odyssey-small: Toulon Las Vegas Stroke Lab  34"

Ball: :Snell:MTB-X

:Arccos:

So yesterday, because two of the courses I usually play had events, I went to Cocopah Rio Colorado for the first time.  It's not a long course but not super short either - at least from the blue tee.  They also have some very interesting tree locations and it must have been designed by a lefty that was fed up playing fade biased layouts 😆.

On the 176 yard #7 par 3 I hit two balls (5i) that ended up on the green and within two feet of each other.  Feeling it, I teed up a 3rd ball (the course was empty - as in no one) and pulled it left into a waste bunker.  I chipped that ball in for a birdie and two putted the others that were within 10 feet. Currently experiencing a "confidence zero" with the flat stick.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

So yesterday, because two of the courses I usually play had events, I went to Cocopah Rio Colorado for the first time.  It's not a long course but not super short either - at least from the blue tee.  They also have some very interesting tree locations and it must have been designed by a lefty that was fed up playing fade biased layouts 😆.

On the 176 yard #7 par 3 I hit two balls (5i) that ended up on the green and within two feet of each other.  Feeling it, I teed up a 3rd ball (the course was empty - as in no one) and pulled it left into a waste bunker.  I chipped that ball in for a birdie and two putted the others that were within 10 feet. Currently experiencing a "confidence zero" with the flat stick.

does that mean a new flat stick that behaves better will soon find it's way into the bag? 🤣  In all seriousness though, I think we all go through it.  Sorry to hear it brother. 

• Like 4

BNewt51

:taylormade-small:  9* Sim  Hzrdus Smoke "Yellow" Handcrafted 6.5  (Best borrow I've ever made from a buddy)

:callaway-small:Epic Flash - 14* 3-wood Mitsubishi Tensei Blue X-stiff

:titelist-small: TSI2 19* Hybrid Tensei Blue X-Stiff

:taylormade-small: -P770 4-PW KBS C-Taper 120 S 

:taylormade-small: - 50* , 54* and 58* MG2 Wedges  Dynamic Gold Tour S200

:scotty-cameron-1: - Tour Select Square Back

:taylormade-small: - Taylormade Flextech Bag (Blue and Grey)

:taylormade-small: - TP5 and TP5 Pix 

Bushnell Tour V-4 - Non-Slope edition 🙁

*King of taking (borrowing) all my club ***** friends clubs after they've discarded them after a couple months! 🤣

4 minutes ago, BNewton51 said:

does that mean a new flat stick that behaves better will soon find it's way into the bag? 🤣  In all seriousness though, I think we all go through it.  Sorry to hear it brother. 

I just asked about including a putter fitting during my Truespec iron/woods re-fitting using GCQuad... so yes 😆.

• Like 5

On 1/17/2021 at 5:09 AM, tony@CIC said:

We played with our Ohio golfing partners on Friday at Cypress Creek in Ruskin Fl. After several range sessions, my driver stopped acting up and my drives were fairly straight - well, except for that one drive that I sliced into the water. Ended up with an 88, primarily because I left about a half doz putts a roll away from the hole. One of these days I'll get to use to Bermuda grass. However, I was able to kick putt this in for a bird on a par 4 - no putter required emoji23.png
IMG_0427.JPG.508e5bb69a4bbbb1c5d6c5e6150c9d8b.JPG

This was also a day for seeing lots of wildlife on the course, from cranes and raccoons scampering across a parking lot to this bad boy sunning himself next to one of the tee boxes. 
IMG_0426.JPG

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Seeing that gator reminds me, "Daddy needs a new pair of shoes!"

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg

... One of my favorite tee shots at Aguila or anywhere for that matter. About a 175 carry over the canyon that is much, much deeper than it looks in the picture. Bunker left about 220 and bunker right about the same distance. Another bunker about 300 that I aim right at and only reached once with a perfect tee shot aided by a slight breeze. Flat to about 240 then a downslope you can ride with a really good tee shot. When hit well I am usually about 10 yds short of the bunker and it sets up for a long approach to the green. The bunkers frame the hole very well. This is the only hole on the course where houses are visible but a good ways off the right side and the mountains are also much more majestic than the pictures show. Normally bright blue skies but it rained for the first time this morning and it was nice to see some clouds for a change of pace but perfectly happy with bright blue and sunny skies. 🤪

1056371591_Aguila152.jpg.263725681bdc0c43f03794b57f95f2db.jpg

• Like 7
  • Love 2

Driver:   TaylorMade SIM2 Max ... Diamana Limited 60R
Fairway:  Cobra SZ 14.5* ... Atmos Blue TS 7S
Utility:   Callaway Super Hybrid 17*   ... Diamana Limited 65R
               TaylorMade DHy 19* ... Diamana Limited 65R
Irons:    4-Pw Cobra King Tour MIM ... Nippon 950gh r-flex
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 50* ... Nippon 950gh r-flex
                 Mizuno T20 58* ... Nippon 950gh r-flex
Putter:  Cleveland Hunting Beach Soft 11S 33.5"
Ball:      TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

I am definitely on the roller coaster. Go from 88 to 81 to 88. I walked yesterday and s*** 41/47:88 with zero birdies. Suffering in my short game. Temp was 38* to 70* with a 30 minute frost delay.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 6

Driver: Tour Edge Exotics EXS w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft BACKUP DRIVER: Cobra F8 w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft  Fairways:  Cobra King F8 3W(14.5*) & 5W(18.5*) w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft Hybrids: Tour Edge CBX 119 4H(22*)  with Project X Evenflo regular shaft Irons: Wilson Staff D7 5 - PW w/Recoil 460 regular shafts Wedges: Wilson D7 GW(50*) & SW(54*) w/Recoil 460 regular shafts; Cleveland RTX Zipcore(58*) w/True Temper Spinner Wedge steel shaft  Putter: 33" Slotline SSi 693 mid mallet Bag: Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag(Peacoat Blue).

I am definitely on the roller coaster. Go from 88 to 81 to 88. I walked yesterday and s*** 41/47:88 with zero birdies. Suffering in my short game. Temp was 38* to 70* with a 30 minute frost delay.

They don’t do Frost Delay here on some courses, Tee Times are canceled.

• Like 1

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Titleist TSi2, Kuro Kage 50 gr R2

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous Vista Pro R2

Irons; Ping G710 6-GW, Recoil 460 R2

Putter; Waaay too many to list

85 43/42 

1 birdie / 8 pars / 6 doubles : /

10 FIRs, 8 GIRs

It was an all or nothing round for me. Wind was blowing 15-20+ making the club section more difficult or me. A couple bad lies and errors off the tee turned a good round into an average one. Greens were super fast and not holding anything, made for some fun chips/putts downhill to the hole...

Overall, happy to be able to play during the winter and continue to improve my game. 

• Like 6

:ping-small:  G410 Plus, w/ X stiff 75 g Project X Evenflow Black shaft driver

:adams-small: GT Tight Lies 3 & 5 wood

:taylormade-small: SLDR AW - 4 iron S flex

:cleveland-small: Rotex 2.0 RTX 588 56°

:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 08M 60°

:scotty-small: Newport 2.5 putter

:Snell:MTB X golf balls

RH, Alabama

35 minutes ago, Rickp said:

They don’t do Frost Delay here on some courses, Tee Times are canceled.

😱

So if you have an early tee time, you are SOL?

Here there are no tee times available until 2pm.  We have frost delays that can last up to 2 hours.  Most of the time people cancel and we are caught up in about an hour.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

We are currently on a 4 hour delay...  Makes for some "fun" discussions in the shop...

• Like 3

Driver -   :srixon-small: ZX 7 9.5° Ventus VeloCore Blue S
Fairway -  Tour Edge Exotics CB2 15° Grafalloy Prolite 35  S

Fairway - Tour Edge Exotics CB2 18° Grafalloy Prolite 35  S

Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 18° GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 18° AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7  Aerotech SteelFiber 110icw  4-Pw 1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Raw 50° 54° 58°  TTGDTI S400 1° flat

Putters -   Cameron Phantom 5x/Odyssey Toulon Stroke Lab Austin/Odyssey 2 Ball DFX/ TaylorMade Spider
Tour Black/Ping Anser F/Scotty Cameron TeI3 Sole Stamp Newport 2. All with different grips, weights, and lengths.

So if you have an early tee time, you are SOL?
Here there are no tee times available until 2pm.  We have frost delays that can last up to 2 hours.  Most of the time people cancel and we are caught up in about an hour.

On Exec SOL.
On the 18 holes you start on the hole you should be on based on how many minutes per hole. So if you had 8:00 Tee time and frost lifted at 9:00 you will start at where you should have been @ that time. You will not be charged for the shortened 9 holes.

• Like 2

Rick

Left Hand, 

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

It was sunny and 45 today, so I figured why not? Shot 6 over 78: 11 GIR 32 putts. Still not hitting a lot of fairways (5/14) and not a great day for up and downs(2/7) but it always amuses me how well I can play when I have zero expectations...

• Like 7

24CC2B3B-0E46-4165-97D1-F1CA4C5041C8.png

Tumultuous couple of weeks with COVID 19 doing a number on the group.
Tomorrow a small group of Bacon Boyz are ready to go!
Fireball is in the bag

• Like 8

Rick

Left Hand, 

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

Pleased with my ball striking today.  Made some solid putts.  39/39 ... had a double bogey on the front when I hit my 60 wedge thin and sailed it well over the green into trouble.  On the opposite end of the spectrum, birdied the number 2 handicap hole with a 4 hybrid approach to 2 feet below the hole.  

• Like 4

Driver: :ping-small: G400 Max 9 degree Alta CB55 Stiff shaft 

Hybrids: :taylormade-small: M4 3W (16.5*), 5W (21*), 7W (24*), Atmos shaft R

Irons: :callaway-small:Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW KBS Tour Graphite  70g shafts R

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX-2 52*, 56*, 60* wedges.  Stock shafts.

Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7S

Ball: :Snell: MTB-X

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

11 hours ago, Rickp said:

Tumultuous couple of weeks with COVID 19 doing a number on the group.
Tomorrow a small group of Bacon Boyz are ready to go!
Fireball is in the bagemoji106.png

So what is your groups criteria for extracting the Fireball from the bag?  

• Like 2