Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Our Sponsors

Just nervous playing with studs like you guys!!  

Yup, gotta be it. The intimidating Ole Farts. He’s probably half way decent. He’ll get his chops busted badly if not careful. Ole guys are brutal once they get to know you.


Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

Rick

 

 

Left Hand, 

Driver; Titleist TSi2, Kuro Kage 50 gr R2

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous Vista Pro R2

Irons; Ping G710 6-GW, Recoil 460 R2

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 16.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

+4 75 (40/35) 6/13 FiR 8/18 GiR 28 putts First ace today! #17, 121y PW that dunked into the cup. Best part was the group in front was part of our group, and waved us on since we we

Today was a good day.  First hole in one ever.  50° Cobra King wedge from 120 yards.  Hit just past the hole and spun back in. Shot 73 to tie my lowest round ever. Won my match 8 and 6

... Well I have had 4 months of mediocre, out right bad and some occasionally pretty decent golf but only 3 total at par or under out of about 100 rounds. That said, I think I am finally figuring out

Posted Images

Tough day on the course today.  Course was pretty sloppy from our recent rains, but that was the least of my issues today. Just had a tough time getting the club face on the ball all day long.  Normally a good putter, but today didn't tell that story.  85 but felt like 95.

  • Like 6
  • Sad 3

Driver: :ping-small: G400 Max 9 degree Alta CB55 Stiff shaft 

Hybrids: :taylormade-small: M4 3W (16.5*), 5W (21*), 7W (24*), Atmos shaft R

Irons: :callaway-small:Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW KBS Tour Graphite  70g shafts R

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX-2 52*, 56*, 60* wedges.  Stock shafts.

Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7S

Ball: :Snell: MTB-X

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CarlH said:

Tough day on the course today.  Course was pretty sloppy from our recent rains, but that was the least of my issues today. Just had a tough time getting the club face on the ball all day long.  Normally a good putter, but today didn't tell that story.  85 but felt like 95.

Don't feel bad.  There were more than a few pros that are really good putters that couldn't putt today.  It happens.

  • Like 3

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

Turn the tides at Mesa Del Sol today finally conquering the front nine, which has often had the better of me, with a 38 🙂And turn the tide I did... as I shot a 44 on the back with three consecutive DB's 😢.  One was an OB and one I should have just taken the stroke and drop from the water edge (partially wet) vs. trying to take the awkward stance and splat it out.  

But the new KBS driver shaft and I are finding a groove.  I was hitting second shots from positions on the fairway I've never been before.  Two of my longest ever on #11 (271) and #14 (302 ... aided by aggressive corner cut on the dogleg and the hard dirt).  The guys were loving it and insisted on taking a picture.

583506091_MesaDriveHole14.jpg.4bd2a8085f00d2775e138dbdc0367dd1.jpg

 

Now that you are hitting your driver so well....you should start doing some research & look into getting some new irons!!   🤣  🤣

  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

Modern Bag:  Ping G410+ 9*, Accra TourZ X265 M5;  Callaway Mavrik 16.5* 4W, EvenFlow Riptide 6.0 S 70g;  Mizuno JPX 919 HMP 4i, PX LZ 6.0;  Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Cleveland Tour Action 49*, 53*, 57*; PX LZ 6.5 ;  Ping Heppler Fetch;  Ball - Snell MTB-X; Bag - Sun Mountain H2NO 

Classic Bag:  Driver - Wilson Staff Persimmon; 3w - Hogan Speed Slot; 5w - Wilson Staff Tour Block; 3 - pw - Staff Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh my was yesterday ugly - ocean inlet faux links course with dunes all over the place leaving tons of uneven lies - not good for a guy struggling with a lower leg injury. To give you an idea of how many mounds there were I logged 10 flights of stairs during the round - in flat Florida!

You name the miss and I had it on the front with one exception but no worries I nailed two of those in a row on one hole on the back. Well at least there were no whiffs though on my way to a 48-39 87.

I had 4 triples I that mess.

The good news is my lower leg hurts way less than it did the day after last week’s round.


Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

  • Like 7
  • Sad 1

Ping G410 - turned down to11.25 degrees, neutral setting - Fujikura Motore X R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood

Wilson D7 forged 6-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

SCOR 52,60

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Currently testing Edison wedges to replace SCORS that are wearing out. Also auditions for the 14th spot in the bag.  Current possibilities are a Ping 26 degree hybrid - duplicates the 9 wood or 5 iron but would be used almost exclusively for chipping or Tour Exotics 3 wood simply because you can carry 14 clubs and I might occasionally hit it in certain unusual wind conditions once every four or five rounds. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, revkev said:

Oh my was yesterday ugly - ocean inlet faux links course with dunes all over the place leaving tons of uneven lies - not good for a guy struggling with a lower leg injury. To give you an idea of how many mounds there were I logged 10 flights of stairs during the round - in flat Florida!

You name the miss and I had it on the front with one exception but no worries I nailed two of those in a row on one hole on the back. Well at least there were no whiffs though on my way to a 48-39 87.

I had 4 triples I that mess.

The good news is my lower leg hurts way less than it did the day after last week’s round.


Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

What did you do to your leg?  Or is it one of the "I have no friggin idea" events? 🤣

  • Like 1

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver | Official 2019 MGS Tester

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-UW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:ping-small: B61 Putter

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Had an interesting round. Shot 103. Usually that means an all around terrible round. However, off the tee I was fine, no OB balls. Approach shots were ok, nothing really bad there. So where did all those extra shots come from. The first answer is bunkers. First bunker I was in, took two shots to get out, next bunker took three shots, last bunker, couldn't get out, just picked up the ball and took the max score on the hole. Thats more than 8 shots to get out of three bunkers. I have always been a bad bunker player, buts its getting worse and getting in my head. Also, when I finally get out of the bunker, its usually out by like a foot or two out of the bunker, so its nowhere near the hole. Second place I lost shots is short putts. Lag putting was ok, but I miss so many putts that are in the 5 foot range. I know even for pros, 5 footers are not automatic. But I probably made only like 10% of my 5 footers.

  • Like 4
  • Sad 4

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Current tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 12/27/2020
Driver:titelist-small: TSi 2 - Graphite Design AD-XC 6S
Hybrids:taylormade-small: SIM Max 3H, 4H - Matrix Ozik 85S
Irons:srixon-small: ZX5 5 - PW - Nippon Modus 120 S
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX 2 54, CBX Full Face 58 - KBS Hi-Rev S
Putter:  :EVNROLL: ER2
 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

Had an interesting round. Shot 103. Usually that means an all around terrible round. However, off the tee I was fine, no OB balls. Approach shots were ok, nothing really bad there. So where did all those extra shots come from. The first answer is bunkers. First bunker I was in, took two shots to get out, next bunker took three shots, last bunker, couldn't get out, just picked up the ball and took the max score on the hole. Thats more than 8 shots to get out of three bunkers. I have always been a bad bunker player, buts its getting worse and getting in my head. Also, when I finally get out of the bunker, its usually out by like a foot or two out of the bunker, so its nowhere near the hole. Second place I lost shots is short putts. Lag putting was ok, but I miss so many putts that are in the 5 foot range. I know even for pros, 5 footers are not automatic. But I probably made only like 10% of my 5 footers.

Bunker shots are something I never practice, the courses here locally don't have many. I paid the price for that the time I played Bear Trace. Took me four shots to get out of a bunker on a par five. Just kept hitting them so bad, they rolled back in. 

It sounds like the rest of your game is starting to come along good. Keeping driver in play all round is something to be proud of and it sounds like all the work you've been putting in with the irons is paying off. Man, your swing is looking so good on the videos you've posted. It's a pleasure getting to watch the transformation of your golf game. You're honestly an inspiration for me. 

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

Had an interesting round. Shot 103. Usually that means an all around terrible round. However, off the tee I was fine, no OB balls. Approach shots were ok, nothing really bad there. So where did all those extra shots come from. The first answer is bunkers. First bunker I was in, took two shots to get out, next bunker took three shots, last bunker, couldn't get out, just picked up the ball and took the max score on the hole. Thats more than 8 shots to get out of three bunkers. I have always been a bad bunker player, buts its getting worse and getting in my head. Also, when I finally get out of the bunker, its usually out by like a foot or two out of the bunker, so its nowhere near the hole. Second place I lost shots is short putts. Lag putting was ok, but I miss so many putts that are in the 5 foot range. I know even for pros, 5 footers are not automatic. But I probably made only like 10% of my 5 footers.

My old course had no bunkers.  My current course has many!  When I moved here, I was terrible out of the sand.  After 4 years of it, I wasn't much better and had no confidence.

Watch Monte's bunker videos... Use the Bounce 2.  I watched many times, and did exactly what he said; a couple of setup changes and make your normal swing.  Now, I don't fear them anymore, and I am confident that I can get out every time.  I am now working on getting the ball close to the hole.  I've had several sandy pars, and I would have had a sandy birdie if that *#%! pool noodle wasn't in the hole!!

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

My old course had no bunkers.  My current course has many!  When I moved here, I was terrible out of the sand.  After 4 years of it, I wasn't much better and had no confidence.

Watch Monte's bunker videos... Use the Bounce 2.  I watched many times, and did exactly what he said; a couple of setup changes and make your normal swing.  Now, I don't fear them anymore, and I am confident that I can get out every time.  I am now working on getting the ball close to the hole.  I've had several sandy pars, and I would have had a sandy birdie if that *#%! pool noodle wasn't in the hole!!

I need to rewatch Monte's video many times. I've watched and try to do what he says, but my execution is way off.

  • Like 1

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Current tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 12/27/2020
Driver:titelist-small: TSi 2 - Graphite Design AD-XC 6S
Hybrids:taylormade-small: SIM Max 3H, 4H - Matrix Ozik 85S
Irons:srixon-small: ZX5 5 - PW - Nippon Modus 120 S
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX 2 54, CBX Full Face 58 - KBS Hi-Rev S
Putter:  :EVNROLL: ER2
 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dlow206 said:

I need to rewatch Monte's video many times. I've watched and try to do what he says, but my execution is way off.

I usually watch a video in bed until I fall asleep.  OK, go for it!!  I can take it!  😂

  • Haha 3

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Link to post
Share on other sites

... This is one of the best video's I have seen for sand shot basics. I wore out the saying with my students "it is not a golf swing but a specialty shot". 
 

 

  • Like 2

Driver:   TaylorMade SIM2 Max ... Diamana Limited 60R
Fairway:  Cobra SZ 14.5* ... Atmos Blue TS 7S
Utility:   Callaway Super Hybrid 17*   ... Diamana Limited 65R
               TaylorMade DHy 19* ... Diamana Limited 65R
Irons:    4-Pw Cobra King Tour MIM ... Nippon 950gh r-flex
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 50* ... Nippon 950gh r-flex
                 Mizuno T20 58* ... Nippon 950gh r-flex
Putter:  Cleveland Hunting Beach Soft 11S 33.5"
Ball:      TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Mr 14 strikes again!   Played the front 9 at 1 over (37)...then on the back I make 4 double bogeys to shoot 8 over for an 81.  Unreal!  

Double on 10 was set up by a really piss-poor shot pitch that came up short and the next one ran out 15 feet.  Double on  the par 5 #12 was drive catching a tree limb at the dogleg, followed by a topped 3 wood.  Double on 17 when I pulled the drive in the trees where I couldn't get to the green, followed by a 40 yard pitch that came up short and buried itself in the side of the bunker.  Double on 18 was another errant drive forcing a pitchout, then short siding my approach shot leaving myself an impossible short chip to a pin location that was on the upper tier and sloping away from me.

14 holes of good golf.  4 holes of mistakes.

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Driver: :ping-small: G400 Max 9 degree Alta CB55 Stiff shaft 

Hybrids: :taylormade-small: M4 3W (16.5*), 5W (21*), 7W (24*), Atmos shaft R

Irons: :callaway-small:Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW KBS Tour Graphite  70g shafts R

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX-2 52*, 56*, 60* wedges.  Stock shafts.

Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7S

Ball: :Snell: MTB-X

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, CarlH said:

Mr 14 strikes again!   Played the front 9 at 1 over (37)...then on the back I make 4 double bogeys to shoot 8 over for an 81.  Unreal!  

Double on 10 was set up by a really piss-poor shot pitch that came up short and the next one ran out 15 feet.  Double on  the par 5 #12 was drive catching a tree limb at the dogleg, followed by a topped 3 wood.  Double on 17 when I pulled the drive in the trees where I couldn't get to the green, followed by a 40 yard pitch that came up short and buried itself in the side of the bunker.  Double on 18 was another errant drive forcing a pitchout, then short siding my approach shot leaving myself an impossible short chip to a pin location that was on the upper tier and sloping away from me.

14 holes of good golf.  4 holes of mistakes.

C'mon man!!

  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

C'mon man!!

 

... LOL after watching Monday night Football I could see a video of several putts dropping and Carl shooting a 37 on the front then a quick montage of 4 double bogies and a C'mon man!!

  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

Driver:   TaylorMade SIM2 Max ... Diamana Limited 60R
Fairway:  Cobra SZ 14.5* ... Atmos Blue TS 7S
Utility:   Callaway Super Hybrid 17*   ... Diamana Limited 65R
               TaylorMade DHy 19* ... Diamana Limited 65R
Irons:    4-Pw Cobra King Tour MIM ... Nippon 950gh r-flex
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 50* ... Nippon 950gh r-flex
                 Mizuno T20 58* ... Nippon 950gh r-flex
Putter:  Cleveland Hunting Beach Soft 11S 33.5"
Ball:      TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

Link to post
Share on other sites
What did you do to your leg?  Or is it one of the "I have no friggin idea" events? 🤣



I sprained my Achilles’ tendon lifting my daughter about two and a half weeks ago. It’s continually improving but still hurts enough that I know that it’s injured and uneven lies were really tough on it. Sore today after a 31/2 hour drive across the state this afternoon.


Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 1
  • Sad 4

Ping G410 - turned down to11.25 degrees, neutral setting - Fujikura Motore X R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood

Wilson D7 forged 6-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

SCOR 52,60

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Currently testing Edison wedges to replace SCORS that are wearing out. Also auditions for the 14th spot in the bag.  Current possibilities are a Ping 26 degree hybrid - duplicates the 9 wood or 5 iron but would be used almost exclusively for chipping or Tour Exotics 3 wood simply because you can carry 14 clubs and I might occasionally hit it in certain unusual wind conditions once every four or five rounds. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Played a little par 29 9 hole course today. Short game needs work. I’m struggling to get up and down, zero confidence in my chipping right now. Could be time for a lesson...

  • Like 6

P790s/M5 Driver/F9 3wood/F9 hybrid/MG2 wedges/Ardmore putter

Link to post
Share on other sites

Haven't played since January 10th and haven't hit been able to hit lot of shots at MGS.   Finally had a couple of days of sun and no rain so I headed out to the course.   It was sunny, very little wind, and 35*.  Ground was generally frozen or completely saturated.  Struggled my way around the course with lots of bogeys, doubles, and even worse.    Kind of got things together toward the end of the round but still a disaster of a round.  Didn't keep score, but pretty sure it was in the 90s.  

It was nice getting to the course to play, but I need some practice to get my swing back in shape. 

  • Like 7

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :taylormade-small:TM-180

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

 

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Issues off the tee today lead to way too many penalty strokes
47 - 44 = 91


Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

  • Like 3

 

:cobra-small: King F7+ UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 6F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 6-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:cobra-small: King PuR Wedges 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 3.0 grip

Arccos Generation 1 Sensors on all clubs

Snell MTB



Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...