Testers Announced! Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Drivers and Autoflex Dream 7 Shafts! ×

How'd you play?

MmmmmmBuddy

15 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Nice but breezy day;  temps were in the mid 50 with 10 MPH winds gusting from upper teens to mid 20s.   Round was slow;  took  5.5 to play today and waited on every shot.  

Overall hit the ball pretty well;  a few wayward shots but managed 11 FW, 10 greens and shot 41/42:83.  Short game wasn't too bad but putting was a struggle (36 putts with 4 3 putts) with a lot of putts left short.   Time to focus some effort on the putting game.   

5.5 hours is ridiculous for a round of golf. I get upset here when we are over 4 hours. I like to play fast and keep a rhythm. I really hate slow rounds. Unfortunately, often the men’s club events are slower than Moses. Guys start acting like they are on tour. Makes me laugh. Hey, Sam Sneed said golfers should learn to miss it quick! Or another way, bad news doesn’t get better with time. Glad you got to get out and hit the ball. Sorry you had to wait on every shot!

Play like a champion today!

On 4/1/2023 at 9:46 AM, Sluggo42 said:

It’s been a long wet and cold winter here in SoCal as well, and my game has reflected the conditions. Basically, we are experiencing what much of the country deals with year in and year out. I mean it’s always in the low 40’s at tee time, and I’ve got long insulated pants on, a tee shirt, a cold gear long sleeve shirt under my golf shirt.then a sweatshirt, with a puffy vest on. A hat, with a woolen beanie on top, covering my ears.

and I wonder why I can’t swing well…. Plus it’s always soaking wet from the endless rains (thank goodness), so we get no roll and second shots are a few longer irons or fairway woods away.  
weather forecasts are clear and significantly warmer for the near future though, so thank goodness for that.

the positive side is that our 20 year drought has finally broken, and my local fishing lake has risen 50 feet this year, and all the groundwater has been restored. The fishing sucks due to this, but it will eventually return in a big way, so all is good

Sounds exactly like conditions here except it's not wet; just cold and windy.  I'm wearing almost the same thing and it affects my swing.  I have much more rotation at home in my hitting bay!!

BTW, this winter I adopted your grip change.  I had been using an overlap grip with my left thumb on the shaft and have had considerable thumb pain.  It took awhile to get used to moving my old thumb more to the side of the shaft, but now it's beginning to feel better and control of the club is coming back.  Thanks!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Only lost one ball, just happened to be on the 18th tee. Beautiful Phoenix day, no complaints here

WITB

• Driver: Mizuno St-220G - Project X Hzrdus Smoke Blue-Winn dri tac 2.0
  • Hybrid: Ping- G425 3 hybrid- Winn dri tac 2.0
  • Irons: Taylormade Stealth SW-4i- KBS Max 85- Winn dri tac, Ping Eye2 (2 iron)- Winn dri tac
  • Putter: Mizuno M-Craft 1-Superstroke tour 3.0
  • Ball: Taylormade TP5x/ - Pro v 1X
  • Other: Arccos -Garmin Approach R10 Launch Monitor

8 minutes ago, funkyjudge said:

I just checked all of my stats in the GHIN app and included in my stats from 2022-2023 (more than 50 posted rounds with detailed stats) is the following:

Fairways hit = 42%
Greens in Regulation = 22%
Up and down percentage = 21%
Pitts per Round = 26.8

My question is, how am I between a 15-16 handicap golfer?

The answer is that my 3 to 4 bad holes per round are REALLY bad holes (lots of 8s, 9s, and a few 10s among those holes).

Oh, and ai also have several 9-hole scores between 37-40, and more than a few 18-hole scores between 77-84 among those posted scores. The problem is that I also have more scores between 87-96.

Are you adjusting the scores when you enter them? The must I believe you can take for score towards handicap for your handicap is a triple. That might make you handicap drop.

6 minutes ago, Javs said:

Are you adjusting the scores when you enter them? The must I believe you can take for score towards handicap for your handicap is a triple. That might make you handicap drop.

Yes, I adjust my scores whenever it is allowed.  Generally, the maximum allowable score for posting purposes is a net double bogey, but most of the holes where I have my worst scores are “stroke holes” for me, so that equates to triple bogeys, and some/most of my 8s do not get adjusted at all. Sure, the 9s and the rare 10s get knocked down by at least a couple of strokes (more than a couple of strokes for the 10s).

If I shoot in the upper 90s to 100, my posted scores are usually closer to 90 than to 100.

Edited by funkyjudge

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - Callaway Paradym 3HL, Newton Motion Fairway shaft, 4-Dot

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Sub 70 849, ProForce Black 80-S

Irons - Callaway Paradym, HZRDUS Silver Gen 4, S-flex

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - (currently in flux, but usually an Evnroll 8V

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023)

Bags - Ghost Golf Maverick Black Ops

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

4 minutes ago, Javs said:

The most you can post is a net double bogey.  If you don’t get a stroke on a hole, then you can only post a double.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

16 minutes ago, funkyjudge said:

Yes, I adjust my scores whenever it is allowed.  Generally, the maximum allowable score for posting purposes is a net double bogey, but most of the holes where I have my worst scores are “stroke holes” for me, so that equates to triple bogeys, and some/most of my 8s do not get adjusted at all. Sure, the 9s and the rare 10s get knocked down by at least a couple of strokes (more than a couple of strokes for the 10s).

If I shoot in the upper 90s to 100, my posted scores are usually closer to 90 than to 100.

It will get there just keep plugging! No matter what handicap, we all dread the blowup holes. They are round killers!!

On 4/2/2023 at 4:28 PM, Kenny B said:

BTW, this winter I adopted your grip change.  I had been using an overlap grip with my left thumb on the shaft and have had considerable thumb pain.  It took awhile to get used to moving my old thumb more to the side of the shaft, but now it's beginning to feel better and control of the club is coming back.  Thanks!!

You’re welcome!

it’s funny how my thumb pain is gone now too. I can’t remember if that’s why I started with it, but it is certainly a perk

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

5 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Ain't it a funny game? Been struggling lately and got hit on my left wrist bone with a golf ball Friday and had to leave after 4 holes, go home and ice it. Surprisingly by today it didn't effect my swing at all. But the 30 mph winds did. #2 par 5 straight downwind and I hit a 7 iron 210 and just missed the eagle putt for a tap in birdie. #4 was 153 and I hit 6 iron just on the front fringe!  😳  The 5th is a 477 yd par 5 and I can get on in two with no wind usually with a long iron or hybrid but 30 mph and gusting higher, directly into us and I played driver - 2 iron - pw from 95yds that stopped about 2 inches short from the wind blowing it back into the hole. Next hole straight downwind I hit the same pw from 139 for my approach and it landed on the front fringe and rolled just off the back edge of a long green. So a 165yd pw. 

... I do seem to focus a little more in the wind as there are no stock shots and every shot must be thought out and executed. My 2 iron was a real weapon today both into the wind and downwind when I thought a driver would go too far. Hit one 285 🤣  a little downhill and straight downwind so a good 50-60 yds longer than normal. I ended up with 2 bogies and 5 birdies to shoot a 69 and a year under my age so very pleased with the round. 

Well done!

Got out to play after work tonight with the lady. She wants to play more often as she’s taking lessons and you’ll hear no complaining from me! We did a nice front 9 at a local course here in Wichita. Shifted some weights in my driver and went to play my slice and played it too much, so was happy to see that! Got to the green in 3 and then sank a 35-40 footer, was feeling on fire to start with a par! Second and third holes were not too shabby. But then I started to falter a bit on 4 and 5. Hit the green on the par 3 but 3 putted unfortunately. Last 3 holes started to get it together. Hole 9 had an awful drive that clipped a tree but then my 3 wood told my Driver to stand back and watch and it had an absolute bomb of a hit, got a cart path bounce and was left on the fringe of the green. Felt amazing! Overall my putting is really coming together. Only 2 3 putts so I’m real happy about that. Girlfriend was playing well and struggling when I struggled to but she also had a great hole 9 with her 3 wood after her drive clipped the same tree. Evening was no wind, crisp 84 degrees. Fantastic evening.

07938884-50A1-4845-8A30-DE24850A6EAA.jpeg

Driver: King Radspeed
3 Wood: Mizuno JPX 
Hybrid: 19* Taylormade SLDR
5 Wood: King Cobra Offset SS Hyper Steel
4-PW: Nike Covert VrS with Aldila VS Proto shafts
Putter: Wilson Buckingham

9 minutes ago, Connorn2 said:

Got out to play after work tonight with the lady. She wants to play more often as she’s taking lessons and you’ll hear no complaining from me! We did a nice front 9 at a local course here in Wichita. Shifted some weights in my driver and went to play my slice and played it too much, so was happy to see that! Got to the green in 3 and then sank a 35-40 footer, was feeling on fire to start with a par! Second and third holes were not too shabby. But then I started to falter a bit on 4 and 5. Hit the green on the par 3 but 3 putted unfortunately. Last 3 holes started to get it together. Hole 9 had an awful drive that clipped a tree but then my 3 wood told my Driver to stand back and watch and it had an absolute bomb of a hit, got a cart path bounce and was left on the fringe of the green. Felt amazing! Overall my putting is really coming together. Only 2 3 putts so I’m real happy about that. Girlfriend was playing well and struggling when I struggled to but she also had a great hole 9 with her 3 wood after her drive clipped the same tree. Evening was no wind, crisp 84 degrees. Fantastic evening.

07938884-50A1-4845-8A30-DE24850A6EAA.jpeg

At first look, that animal head cover looked real. Ha ha

14 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Ain't it a funny game? Been struggling lately and got hit on my left wrist bone with a golf ball Friday and had to leave after 4 holes, go home and ice it. Surprisingly by today it didn't effect my swing at all. But the 30 mph winds did. #2 par 5 straight downwind and I hit a 7 iron 210 and just missed the eagle putt for a tap in birdie. #4 was 153 and I hit 6 iron just on the front fringe!  😳  The 5th is a 477 yd par 5 and I can get on in two with no wind usually with a long iron or hybrid but 30 mph and gusting higher, directly into us and I played driver - 2 iron - pw from 95yds that stopped about 2 inches short from the wind blowing it back into the hole. Next hole straight downwind I hit the same pw from 139 for my approach and it landed on the front fringe and rolled just off the back edge of a long green. So a 165yd pw. 

... I do seem to focus a little more in the wind as there are no stock shots and every shot must be thought out and executed. My 2 iron was a real weapon today both into the wind and downwind when I thought a driver would go too far. Hit one 285 🤣  a little downhill and straight downwind so a good 50-60 yds longer than normal. I ended up with 2 bogies and 5 birdies to shoot a 69 and a year under my age so very pleased with the round. 

Congratulations!  Playing in the wind is an art unto itself.  I don’t mind the wind, except when it’s also cold.  I see warm weather on our horizon!!

1 minute ago, Kenny B said:

Congratulations!  Playing in the wind is an art unto itself.  I don’t mind the wind, except when it’s also cold.  I see warm weather on our horizon!!

... Amen! Wind is OK if it is a warm or even better a hot wind, but cold wind is a no go for me. Surprisingly we saw quite a few carts driving off and one of our partners quit after 9 saying the wind was too difficult even though it was around 80*. Here is hoping your wam weather arrives for you soon!!! 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

7 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Amen! Wind is OK if it is a warm or even better a hot wind, but cold wind is a no go for me. Surprisingly we saw quite a few carts driving off and one of our partners quit after 9 saying the wind was too difficult even though it was around 80*. Here is hoping your wam weather arrives for you soon!!! 

Supposed to be 78º on Saturday!!

11 hours ago, funkyjudge said:

I just checked all of my stats in the GHIN app and included in my stats from 2022-2023 (more than 50 posted rounds with detailed stats) is the following:

Fairways hit = 42%
Pitts per Round = 26.8

The answer is that my 3 to 4 bad holes per round are REALLY bad holes (lots of 8s, 9s, and a few 10s among those holes).

Oh, and I also have several 9-hole scores between 37-40, and more than a few 18-hole scores between 77-84 among those posted scores. The problem is that I also have more scores between 87-96.

Your FIRs are likely mostly irrelevant unless they are way errant and out of bounds or unplayable.  Regardless of what scores you enter, GHIN will automatically adjust to net dbl bogey as a max.  What seems at odds to my eyes are your combined U/Ds and avg putts.  26.8 avg is amazing (I avg 34) which means you have rounds of less (and more).  Your U/D percent equates to 3.6/round (Im at 2.5). So, it just seems you should have a lot higher percentage of U/Ds.  

I often wonder how I can be 11.7.  I started the year in January at 11.1 and sure enough was playing higher and the hdcp crept up, then I shoot an 81.  Only 8 scores are counted in computing the hdcp, and I find it interesting when I look to see what score is about to fall off the 20 round chart.  I have the 2 lowest scores of my life soon to drop - 78 and 79).  

I guess what would be revealing is using a tool to identify strokes gained vs lost,  Without such a tool, I know putting is where I lose a lot of strokes - 13% are 3-putts. (I’m 39% GIRs and 83% FIRs). 

Edited by GaryF

:callaway-small: Driver: Fusion, 9 deg, UST Recoil 450 ES F3/2

:ping-small: 430 MAX 4w (5w head delofted 1* with 3w shaft), 7w, 5h w/ Alta CB Soft Regular shaft

:mizuno-small: JPX923 HM 6i - GW w/ UST Recoil 460 ESX F3

:cleveland-small: RTX6 52* and 56* with Recoil 760 ESX F2 

:odyssey-small: Versa DB DoubleWide 

:srixon-small:: Z-Star Tour

15 hours ago, funkyjudge said:

Fairways hit = 42%
Pitts per Round = 26.8

Oh, and I also have several 9-hole scores between 37-40, and more than a few 18-hole scores between 77-84 among those posted scores. The problem is that I also have more scores between 87-96.

This is why looking at one off numbers like FIR, GIR, and putts per round without additional context is so hard.   As you know, Your handicap is driven by the low scores you occasionally put up when playing well (77-84) since handicap is potential and not what you typically score.   

to me your numbers seem off though.  You average about 4 greens a round which leaves 14 up and down opportunities which you convert about 3 times.  So let’s say average 2 putts per GIR , you have 3 putts for the up and down, 2 putts for the 11 missed up and downs.    That is 8+3+22=33.   Not sure where you are shaving off 6 putts 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

4 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Another 82 today. Unfortunately a disappointing 82. 

Had the same start as yesterday going bogey, bogey, bogey Double before getting my act together. 

It was so cold to start. Wind was wicked and wasn't till we made the turn on the 5th hole that i started to warm up and hit better shots. 

Had 3 bogeys from hole 8 on with 7 pars and makeable birdie on 18. 

I just get so annoyed with slow starts. I know I have potential to go low on this course and am comfortable with all the holes and how to play them along with trying different options on some, but man the 5 over after 4 just kills.

Why do you think you are starting slowly?  Where are the bogeys and worse coming from?  Shot selections, bad shots in general, not mentally focused? 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG