Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

How'd you play?

MmmmmmBuddy

3 hours ago, Jim Shaw said:

played better than the score indicated, 73 today, 1 birdie, 2 bogeys,  14 GIR, 11 FIR, 30 putts... some makable putts not going in, will spend more time on the practice green tomorrow, get my alignment sticks, putting mirror, chalk line, assorted tees strategically placed, the whole deal.... 

haha- I’m probably in your boat with you-

I miss 3-4 makable birdie putts a round, and make poor attempts from 20 yards and in- these are the regular problems of a 5-8 capper, that leaves 3-4 strokes a game on the card- 

scores would be much better if I made 2-3 birdies, and got a few more up and downs to save par- 

I think that only educated practice can make these gains, and random bang bang bang, won’t be as effective as knowing what your trying to do-

for example, I would love to learn how to make those skip, skip, stop at the pin shots- I mean how do those guys do that all the time?

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

Played 9 with a friend and went from birdie to triple with some very nice shots to some lousy shots, had a few uneven lies that I didn't handle good at all was a fat or skinny shot. But hit enough good shots to show my handicap is coming down finally, I hit one excellent shot 53 metres with my 9iron out of lush rough because I forgot my Sand iron lol to 5 feet and got the birdie WOW...

I’m a hacker who loves nothing more than to change how I play, be that grips shafts and heads its all fair game lol…

On 4/13/2023 at 4:22 AM, sirchunksalot said:

Both of these have me laughing and I've never heard the screen door analogy, I'm going to have to use both of those on the course.

@MDGolfHacker, I'm happy to hear you got down to see your brother. Time with family is precious and I hope you enjoy each other's company. 

@sirchunksalot - Time is indeed precious.  We never understand that when we're younger, wild and carefree.  Now that I'm over 50, things just come into sharper perspective on how little time we do have.

MDGolfHacker

What's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Played yesterday after work at the local muni course, it's April in New England so still in the early part of the season. Walked with a buddy and was able to get 14 holes in before we had to call it due to darkness. Shot +9 over the 14 holes with 2 birdies, and I definitely left some shots out there. Over the weekend I played at a nice private course with some of the tougher and faster greens you can find in the area and so last night it took me maybe a little too long to adjust to the slower greens. Nothing like watching short putt after short putt. On the plus side of things the long ball was working! A couple holes have some elevated tee boxes and plenty of room to swing away and was able to get past the 300yd mark and still kept it in the fairway. Turned one of those drives into a tap in birdie and the other one....no comment. I feel like I am putting it all together and waiting for the day where every aspect of the game is clicking at the same time, that'll be the day!

WITB:

Driver: PING G400

3W: Ping G400

3 Utility Iron: Ping G410

5-GW: Cobra Forged Tec (2020) KBS $-Taper 125 x-stiff shafts (Club Champion fitting)

Wedges: 52,56,60 (mixed)

P: Cleveland Frontline 8.0 Wide blade

HCP: 11

9 hours ago, Sluggo42 said:

I miss 3-4 makable birdie putts a round, and make poor attempts from 20 yards and in- these are the regular problems of a 5-8 capper, that leaves 3-4 strokes a game on the card- 

scores would be much better if I made 2-3 birdies, and got a few more up and downs to save par- 

I think that only educated practice can make these gains, and random bang bang bang, won’t be as effective as knowing what your trying to do-

for example, I would love to learn how to make those skip, skip, stop at the pin shots- I mean how do those guys do that all the time?

i think the 2 skip and stop shot comes from how hard you grip the club and how you contact the ball, your PGA professional will be able to give you some good tips, thanks for bringing that up, I am going to start practicing that shot as well lol...

committed to performance excellence

10 hours ago, Sluggo42 said:

This is so true. Over the last years of playing very speratically and now getting back into it the biggest difference I see that has me shoot around 80 compared to when I used to be scratch is my short game. I am a little less consistent in the swing but after so many years of swings I am able to go out and hit the ball pretty well other then I can't work the ball like I used to. But when I was scratch I would get up and down most the time and now I don't nearly as much. The distance to the hole is not all that much more but the make percentage of putts falls so much more then you would think from being 2 to 4 feet or 5 to 7 feet. 

WITB:

Driver: Titleist TSR3 :titleist-small: with TPT Nitro 15Hi 

5 wood: Calloway Paradym Triple Diamond :callaway-small: with TPT Power 15Lo

Driving Iron: Tour Edge Exotics EXS Ti-Utility :tour-edge:

Hybrid: PXG 0317X Gen2 hybrid :PXG: with TPT Power 15Lo

Irons: Takomo 101T :Takomo: with Nippon Modus 120 shafts :Nippon:

Wedges: Celveland RTX4 50 Degree, Calloway Jaws Raw 58 degree Z grind and 54 degree S grind

Putter: Edel EAS 4.0 :edel-golf-1:

Ball: Srixon Z Star Diamond / Z Star XV :srixon-small:

Official 2024 TPT Shaft Test

18 hours ago, EasyPutter said:

When I am walking alone and nobody is in front of me I have completed in 90 minutes so about 10 minutes a hole on average between the Par 3s and Par 5s.  A little slower in rain when I usually have the course to myself because of the umbrella on the push cart holder making sure it doesn't suffer from shock loading.

18 hours ago, Vegan_Golfer_PNW said:

I am a long strider. Lol. Walking helps and not having to look for balls helps

Course layout matters a ton my local course has minimal walks from green to tee especially on the front and I can get around that nine walking in 1:10

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

My round yesterday was abjectly horrible.  But there are good signs.  It's early season so not time to freak out.  Back to the range to sort out the new irons and groove in a consistent, easy swing with driver!

Working at getting better ... and very slowly getting there.

•  :callaway-small: Paradym 🔹🔹🔹 8* (:accra: FX 3.0 140 M0 Otto-Phlex)
  •  :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 & 5 Woods (:Fuji: MotoreX F1 7-S)
  • :callaway-small: Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrid (:Fuji: MotoreX HB 7-S)
  •  :Miura: CB-57 4-P or Maltby TS3 (4-8)/TS4 (9-PW)/TS1 (GW) (shafts:  :projectx: LZ 6.0)
  • :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore 53*, and 58* mid wedges (KBS High Rev 125)
  • :scotty-small: Special Select Fastback 1.5
  • :redrooster: Gloves
  •  :maxfli: Tour X Balls

Don't count my clubs!  Ha.  The 4 iron, 5 hybrid, and 53* Cleveland are in and out of the bag depending on mood, course, and moon phase.

My Official 2024 TaylorMade Qi10 Review:  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/62804-taylormade-qi10-drivers-2024-forum-member-review/?do=findComment&comment=1014200

My Official 2023 Red Rooster Sussex Glove Review:  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/58614-2023-mgs-forum-member-test-red-rooster-sussex-golf-glove/#comment-911042

13 minutes ago, chisag said:

... This shot should be a staple in everyones repertoire. Grip pressure should be the same as your normal swing, ball back in stance, crisp descending contact * and 3/4 to 1/2 swing with speed through contact. By speed I don't mean increasing your speed, just not slowing down for a short shot because speed equals spin. Most know this of course but just in case you need a urethane covered ball to execute this shot. I have players I am paired up with ask me from time to time "how do you get the ball to skip and stop like that? Mine always rolls out." And they are using a Velocity, Distance + or Super Soft ball. 

* Lots still try and get the club head under the ball either consciously or unconsciously. If you struggle with this shot or tend to scoop, try and make contact with your focus on the front of the ball and not the back of the ball. 

Lol I am trying to get one of my buddies to switch over. Get rid of all the cheap crap in his bag and at least get some Kirkland's or Maxfli. He's a mid-90s player taking lessons now, so I'm just trying to get him to play a decent ball without breaking the bank.

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

14 minutes ago, chisag said:

... This shot should be a staple in everyones repertoire. Grip pressure should be the same as your normal swing, ball back in stance, crisp descending contact * and 3/4 to 1/2 swing with speed through contact. By speed I don't mean increasing your speed, just not slowing down for a short shot because speed equals spin. Most know this of course but just in case you need a urethane covered ball to execute this shot. I have players I am paired up with ask me from time to time "how do you get the ball to skip and stop like that? Mine always rolls out." And they are using a Velocity, Distance + or Super Soft ball. 

* Lots still try and get the club head under the ball either consciously or unconsciously. If you struggle with this shot or tend to scoop, try and make contact with your focus on the front of the ball and not the back of the ball. 

Great post!

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

25 minutes ago, DiscipleofPenick said:

Lol I am trying to get one of my buddies to switch over. Get rid of all the cheap crap in his bag and at least get some Kirkland's or Maxfli. He's a mid-90s player taking lessons now, so I'm just trying to get him to play a decent ball without breaking the bank.

... Good luck! I didn't even mention they guy that plays balls he finds. One hole it is a Chrome Soft X LS and the next it is a Softfli and they wonder why their short game is so inconsistent! 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

1 hour ago, chisag said:

... Good luck! I didn't even mention they guy that plays balls he finds. One hole it is a Chrome Soft X LS and the next it is a Softfli and they wonder why their short game is so inconsistent! 

Right, and listen I get that you don't want to pay $50 and there's the fear of losing a bunch of balls on an off day or a tough course, but c'mon get the top rocks, supersoft, and even Nitros out of here. You don't need to play one ball exclusively, but narrow down the field to the better options for your level.

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

Great time today. 80*, gentle breeze, very low humidity, almost too fire danger low.  Walked 9 holes between two different gold teams practicing, so it was a bit slow, but so nice out. I was actually striking the ball decent. Hit 7 greens in reg, 5 of 7 fairways, down side was I had 2, 3 putts. But you know, I saw some positive stuff today and saw some stuff I need to work on as well. That's what keeps me coming out round after round. The good, the bad and sometimes the ugly.

D- Ping G 400 SFT

16*- Adams Tight Lie

19*- Adams Tight Lie

4H- Ping G 400

5-U- Ping G 400

SW- Nike

56*- Ping Glide 2

P- Sub70 004 Mallet

20 hours ago, chisag said:

... Amen. There are just too many good urethane options. Maxfli Tour and Tour S at 4 dozen for $119.99. Practice balls are always a great option and previous year model balls but still new and of course Kirklands. 

A few of the videos State the ball is a necessity for the shot.

i watched a ton of videos last night and there are quite a few variances in how people explain the shot-

many similarities as well such as

1) pro ball

2) high loft wedge

3) super clean grooves, newer wedge

4)slightly open stance, and lay the wedge open 

5) keep swing speed going- 

then, it seemed to have some differences as well- such as wrist hinging or not, descent angles, turning hands over or holding, follow through, etc….

im definitely going to chipping practice area, with a few sleeves of new maxfli tour balls, clean wedges, and going to experiment and practice 

1 hour ago, chisag said:

you can only find that out through practice, and trial and error. Not that you will need it but Good Luck Sluggo! 

Well, thank you, but I will take all the luck I can get!

”trial and error”, and “practice”

I get a little practice, but obviously not enough-

trial and error though, I get a ton. Being a guy that plays 3-5 rounds a week, I often break out a “new” swing or putting stroke, or whatever it is, during play, that I normally don’t do- and often it leads to mixed results on the course- my playing buddies always wonder why I try new “stuff” whilst playing, and I tell then that I need to find out if it works! Practice is one thing, but eventually you have to bring it into play. That’s probably why I have so many wild swings with my scorecards. After all, it’s only rock and roll…