How'd you play?

MmmmmmBuddy

Got out for a quick 9 this evening mainly just to swing the clubs. Wind was blowing a steady 12-15 with gusts in the upper 20’s. Without my membership I probably wouldn’t have went but since I need to get my money’s worth I’m taking every opportunity I get to swing the clubs. Played surprisingly well with a +1 37  2 bogeys and a birdie. One bogey was due to a chunked chip after smashing a drive to within 30 yards of the green. The birdie came from the par 5 that played downwind. I swung too hard trying to hit a monster drive to set up eagle and topped it about 170. Pulled my trusty Srixon F85 5 wood and bombed a 280 yard draw to within 50 yards and managed to get up and down for birdie.

I hit 4/7 FIR and 6/9 GIR.  I did have 16 putts which isn’t great but I was actually happy. I replaced my SS 1.0PT grip (60g) with a SS Grim Reaper Pistol 2.0 (51g). I have struggled with finding my line and keeping my face square with the PT and was getting very frustrated. Today I started every putt exactly where I wanted to but left 4 a combined 2’ short. I’m good with that as distance control will change with conditions. Zero 3 putts is also something I can live with lol. Hoping to get out tomorrow before the rain comes in to see if it continues. 

• Like 9

What is in my Bag Boy Revolver

Driver:    PXG Gen2 0811x 10.5* set to small + with a VA Composites Nemesys 55s @ 44.75"

Fairway:  :srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Irons: Testing the Titleist T200 irons 4-W2 with Project X LZ 5.5 shaft -1/2" and 1* Up

Wedge: Titleist SM7 56* with Project X LZ 5.0 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Custom Futura X5 flow neck with a UST Frequency Filtered shaft -1" with a SS wristlock grip

1 hour ago, Grand Stranded said:

I got out to play again for the second time this week earlier today. The back feels great, so hopefully that issue is in the past. Knock wood.

Biggest news was the improvement of my iron play as opposed to the other day. I mentioned in my last post I had started to see an instructor just before I stoppped playing because of my back, and in hindsight I should’ve seen him before I played again, instead of the day after. 
He saw the problem right away, and it was an easy fix. I simply wasn’t completing my turn enough to square the face at impact which led to me leaving it slightly open, and hitting my irons out toward the toe. Who knew this was a thing?... *shrug*
It was a simple fix, and a very comfortable “feel”.  It was almost like taking a baseball swing, but I’m delofting the face now at impact, and as a result, I’m getting more distance. Yay.

All in all, it was a good day. 39 on the front and two over on the back when we stopped after 14 because of heavy rain.

I’m a happy man... back playing again,  doing better than I expected, plus I have total confidence that I’ve found a teacher who will help me get where I want to be with this game.

Sounds like you played well and I'm happy to hear your back is feeling better. I'm glad to hear you found an instructor that was able to diagnose your issue and give you something to work on to make it better. Good iron play makes for a fun round, I just wish the rain would've held off and we could've seen how well you shot the full round.

57 minutes ago, edingc said:

🚨 PERSONAL BEST ALERT! 🚨

- 36/39 = 75 (+3) 😍
- 6/15 FIR
- 11/18 GIR (2 birdies)
- 30 Putts (12 2-putts, 6 1-putts)

Cold, dreary morning and the course was pretty empty. I really took my time deciding on shots and it paid off!

I actually didn't hit very many good shots from the tee today (bad case of the hooks with driver and Super Hybrid), but I hit my irons very well, chipped OK and putted excellently. And, down the stretch, my driver perked up for me.

Played the front nine at even par for the first time ever, highlighted by a 25-foot birdie putt on No. 5. I was +2 coming to No. 16 (probably the second hardest hole on the course) and blasted a beautiful drive that led to a par. I very nearly hooked my tee shot on No. 17 out of bounds left, making a mess of the hole with a double bogey to get to +4 heading to No. 18 tee. (My previous best was +4 during Cobra Connect last summer.)

Most of the pressure was off after the double bogey. I uncorked the longest drive I've ever hit on No. 18, 280 yards uphill, leaving 95 to the flag. Lined up a 58 wedge, landed a few yards short of the flag and ended up with my best approach all day. Knocked in the birdie putt for a new personal best.

IMG_24042021_184451_(800_x_600_pixel).jpg.744436e1e9eb7b853672c390dbfeeb3b.jpg

Feels amazing to put a great round together this early in the season. Lots of offseason work paying off!

That's awesome, Cody! Man, you've put in the work during the off-season and it's great to see the results so early in the session. With the driver and super hybrid acting up, it's a testament to how good your approach game is. 

• Like 7

5 hours ago, jlukes said:

Gentlemen,

Today I flew too close to the sun. 

-3 through 10
10 GIR through 10

Played the last 8 holes in +9

Finished with +6 78

Golf, man.

AB5AB40A-761C-4AC6-9A49-F2C165A982CC.jpeg.d378a0907769044138327f48879fe630.jpeg6F147B81-CFC9-4CD9-BE25-0F72211D342B.jpeg.898b6ff064a37cffca5353a96bdc3d30.jpeg

Joe, it’s bad luck to birdie the first hole 🤣

• Like 3
  • Haha 5
  • TaylorMade SIM2 8* Mitsubishi Tensei 1K White 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Ben Hogan PTx Combo Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Vokey SM8 50 Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • TaylorMade MG2 TW 56 & 60 Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5
  • TaylorMade TP5

Western, NY

5.7 Index

7 minutes ago, bens197 said:

AKA -- the kiss of death!  😄 

• Like 7

Driver: :ping-small: G400 Max 9 degree set to +1, Aldila Extreme Green 55 gram R shaft 

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M4 3W (16.5*) 5W (21*) 7W (24*) -- stock R shafts.

Irons: :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW KBSTour Graphite  70g shafts R

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX2 52,56, 60 degree wedges

Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7S

Ball: :Snell: MTB-X

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

1 hour ago, edingc said:

🚨 PERSONAL BEST ALERT! 🚨

- 36/39 = 75 (+3) 😍
- 6/15 FIR
- 11/18 GIR (2 birdies)
- 30 Putts (12 2-putts, 6 1-putts)

Cold, dreary morning and the course was pretty empty. I really took my time deciding on shots and it paid off!

I actually didn't hit very many good shots from the tee today (bad case of the hooks with driver and Super Hybrid), but I hit my irons very well, chipped OK and putted excellently. And, down the stretch, my driver perked up for me.

Played the front nine at even par for the first time ever, highlighted by a 25-foot birdie putt on No. 5. I was +2 coming to No. 16 (probably the second hardest hole on the course) and blasted a beautiful drive that led to a par. I very nearly hooked my tee shot on No. 17 out of bounds left, making a mess of the hole with a double bogey to get to +4 heading to No. 18 tee. (My previous best was +4 during Cobra Connect last summer.)

Most of the pressure was off after the double bogey. I uncorked the longest drive I've ever hit on No. 18, 280 yards uphill, leaving 95 to the flag. Lined up a 58 wedge, landed a few yards short of the flag and ended up with my best approach all day. Knocked in the birdie putt for a new personal best.

IMG_24042021_184451_(800_x_600_pixel).jpg.744436e1e9eb7b853672c390dbfeeb3b.jpg

Feels amazing to put a great round together this early in the season. Lots of offseason work paying off!

Fantastic round Cody! I love seeing no three putts on the card for you! That’s L.A.B. Is showing it’s worth for you. 

I’m guessing that work you’ve been doing with your belt buckle feel paid off during the round? 

Real nice to end it with the birdie for the PB too! 

• Like 9

#COBRACONNECT CHALLENGE 4 ALUMNUS

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Ventus Blue 6x | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8s | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85s

:cobra-small: KING Forged Tec 5-GW - Nippon Modus 120x | :cobra-small: KING MIM Black 52.12C, 56.10V, 60.04W - Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope

9 minutes ago, jlukes said:

It was incredible. That stretch of 10 holes was like nothing I’ve experienced before. Pure auto pilot. Legitimate looks at birdie on 8 of the 10 holes. Had 3, lipped out 1, and left 2 right on track but about a foot short. Driver was on and approach game was on. And in the blink of an eye I had my worst 4 hole stretch (bogey bogey double double) in years. 

What a crazy, wonderful game we are all obsessed with

Maddening isn't it?  Still that's some nice playing 🤙

• Like 7
  • TaylorMade SIM2 8* Mitsubishi Tensei 1K White 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Ben Hogan PTx Combo Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Vokey SM8 50 Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • TaylorMade MG2 TW 56 & 60 Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5
  • TaylorMade TP5

Western, NY

5.7 Index

10 minutes ago, bens197 said:

Maddening isn't it?  Still that's some nice playing 🤙

Yup. Personal best for 9 holes on the front so really gotta focus on the positive 

• Like 4

CC5 sig.png

Hey everybody, get in here...The drinks are on [mention=65882]TSauer[/mention]!!!
Congratulations man!
Did you go inside and see if you can get a plaque or something to commemorate the moment? I did, and every time I walk past the little table it sits on, I look at it and smile.

Lol If I could buy you all a round, I would! [emoji482]

I actually ordered a ball display case as soon as I got home, I can’t wait for it to be sitting on my desk.
  • Like 8

:ping-small: G400 Max

:ping-small: G410 3W

:ping-small: G410 3 & 4 Crossover

:ping-small: i200 5-PW

:vokey-small: Vokey SM7 | 52-56-60

:taylormade-small: Taylormade Spider X

11 hours ago, TSauer said:

After six years of playing, I got my first hole in one yesterday! Pretty crazy feeling to see the ball drop from the tee box. It was a slight downhill par 3 from 150 yards, got it done with a 9 iron!

I should just retire now. emoji23.png

Nice job!  Congratulations!!

• Like 1

:mizuno-small: ST-Z w/ Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.0 60g

:callaway-small: FT Optiforce 3W, 5W w/ Project X Velocity 6.0 53g

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 HM 4-PW w/ Project X LZ 5.5 115g

:callaway-small: MD4 52/56/60 W/ DG S200

:odyssey-small: White Hot RX #7

:titelist-small: Pro V1X

12 hours ago, TSauer said:

After six years of playing, I got my first hole in one yesterday! Pretty crazy feeling to see the ball drop from the tee box. It was a slight downhill par 3 from 150 yards, got it done with a 9 iron!

I should just retire now. emoji23.png

Nice!!  Did you throw the ball to the crowd like Graeme McDowell did yesterday? #promove

• Like 3

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

3 hours ago, bens197 said:

Thursday, my wife birdied #1 and #2.

Then... the bad luck came.  🤣

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”