How'd you play?

MmmmmmBuddy

8 hours ago, chisag said:

... Intriguing round today and it really brought home how important focus, real focus is when trying to score. One of those days where everything was working well but nothing was working great. Could not get close enough for makable birdie putts with a lot of 15 to 20 footers that just didn't fall. 16 straight pars and thought about an 18 par day but ruined it when I holed a 15 footer for birdie on 17.  Really tough but fair 426yd finishing hole that is all uphill from the tee but then all downhill to the green and I had to make a 7 footer to save par on 18 and really grinding out a 4. 

... The course was not crowded at all and we finished in just over 3 hours. So I had the "brilliant" idea to keep playing until I had a bogie. (My back thinks brilliant should be replaced with stupid) This is when the focus really hit me because it is easy to bogie when you don't give every shot your full attention. Trying to play 27 holes without a bogie ain't easy. After a birdie on 19 and a routine par on 20 I hit a good drive on 21 a 430yd par 4 leaving me an in-between yardage so I gripped down 1" on my 7 iron and losing focus for just a miliasecond decelerated knowing I had too much club and pushed my approach shot into some hard pan right of the green AND semi-shortsided. The next 2 shots got my full attention and after a nice running chip bouncing twice in the rough I holed an 8 footer to save par. This one hole made me realize how often I don't give shots my full attention. I mean yea, I give all shots my attention but not my FULL attention when playing socially. 

... After 3 more pars and really grinding out 2 of them I finally bogied a 176 yd par 3, #25 for the day. Pulled my 6 iron and hit the side of an elevated green leaving a brutal pitch that I had to kill in the grass and judge the speed for 10 feet of break. Normally I just take in the shot and give it my best, but really grinding I walked up and looked exactly where I wanted it to land and checked for any irregularities in the grass and tried to analyze how much it would break after landing just short of the green then picking up speed. Downhill and the massive break left me an 8 footer that I missed on the low side. I birdied 26 and had a routine par on 27. 3 birdies and one bogie in 27 holes. I was completely exhausted both mentally and physically. 

Wow. Tales of this will be told around campfires and beer carts for generations. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic Flash SZ with Tensei Orange Pro S (1" tipped) at 44.5"

2H: :callaway-small: Super Hybrid with Tensei Orange Pro Hyb 80 Stiff 

3H: :Sub70: 939X UST proforce V2 black F3 hybrid soft stepped XStiff UPRT setting 

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 1/4" long Unofficial Review

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)  (Backup 54*,60*: :ping-small:  S Tour KBS Tour Stiff 3* up)

Putter: TAII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter (Testing SIK DW 2.0 35" double bend)

Ball: :Snell:MTB-X

:Arccos:

Kind of a sloppy 41😱

weather gorgeous 65 @ 8:00 Tee Time.  TSi2 driver wasn’t cooperating so switched to G410+ and was killin it.   G710 irons still hanging in there.

I want to buy something new but nothing needs replacement, a feeling I’m unfamiliar with 😱

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Titleist TSi2, Kuro Kage 50 gr R2

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous Vista Pro R2

Irons; Ping G710 6-GW, Recoil 460 R2

Putter; Waaay too many to list

2 hours ago, Rickp said:

Kind of a sloppy 41😱

weather gorgeous 65 @ 8:00 Tee Time.  TSi2 driver wasn’t cooperating so switched to G410+ and was killin it.   G710 irons still hanging in there.

I want to buy something new but nothing needs replacement, a feeling I’m unfamiliar with 😱

There's a support group here somewhere to help you overcome that affliction....

@dlow206 or @Golfspy_CG2 can probably give you the secret handshake info to get into the meeting!!!  😆

• Haha 3
  • Hmmm 2

Modern Bag:  Ping G410+ 9*, Accra TourZ X265 M5;  Snake Eyes 18* & 23* Hybrids; Golfsmith Tour Cavity Forged 3i;  Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Cleveland Tour Action 49*, 53*, 57*; PX LZ 6.5 ;  Ping Heppler Fetch;  Ball - Snell MTB-X; Bag - Sun Mountain H2NO 

Classic Bag:  Driver - Wilson Staff Persimmon; 3w - Hogan Speed Slot; 5w - Wilson Staff Tour Block; 3 - pw - Staff Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

7 minutes ago, Shapotomous said:

There's a support group here somewhere to help you overcome that affliction....

@dlow206 or @Golfspy_CG2 can probably give you the secret handshake info to get into the meeting!!!  😆

Definitely both would be a HUGE help😱

• Haha 5

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Titleist TSi2, Kuro Kage 50 gr R2

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous Vista Pro R2

Irons; Ping G710 6-GW, Recoil 460 R2

Putter; Waaay too many to list

4 hours ago, rbsiedsc said:

Wow. Tales of this will be told around campfires and beer carts for generations. 

... There is a pretty big distinction between playing social golf and playing serious golf. Most of the time I am happy to have fun interacting with my partners, enjoy the wildlife, appreciate the walking and play some pretty good golf. Yesterday was not fun, just a non stop grind the last 18 holes. I very rarely have a tournament focus when playing casually because it takes sooooooo much effort mentally. Kinda like what the Pros go through playing a Major, just a 100% focus and they all talk about how exhausting it is playing 4 days in a major and I really respect that kind of dedication and focus. 

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Driver:   TaylorMade SIM2 Max 10.5* ... Tensei Raw Blue 60R
Fairway:  TaylorMade SIM2 Max 15* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
                 Cobra SZ 18.5* ... Even Flow 75R
Utility:   TaylorMade DHy 19* ... Diamana Limited 65R
              Taylor Made Sim Hybrid 22* ... Diamana Limited 75R
Irons:    4-Pw Cobra King Tour MIM ... Steelfiber 95R
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 50* ... Steelfiber 95R
                 Vokey SM8 58* ... Steelfiber 95R
Putter:  Cleveland Hunting Beach Soft 11S 33.5"
Ball:      TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

3 hours ago, MaxEntropy said:

I played 36 holes in the last 2 days.

After work 9 on Monday that was about the most stress free 39 (+4) I've ever shot. Driver was behaving well and irons were perhaps the best ever. Arccos says I lost 0.0 strokes to a scratch golfer with my approach game. Short game was a bit rough, but I'll take it.

Tuesday morning I walked 18 with @DiscipleofPenick on the course where our league plays (but we went to back tees instead of middle). Front 9 started great - par, par, birdie, bogey (always an acceptable score for me on that hole). Then the wheels started falling off. Lost the driver swing in the form of a bad two-way miss. Finally abandoned the driver for all but one hole the rest of the way. Irons started sharp, but eventually failed me, too. Ended up 42, 49 (+20).

Tuesday evening league started like a continuation of the morning round - double, double, bogey, double. Managed to straighten things out to be +3 over the last 5 holes for a 46 (+10), but it was a grind with as tired as I was near the end.

My fitbit logged 23,000+ steps yesterday and my back was starting to tighten in the morning round, so I suspect that was at least partially responsible for my AWOL swing. I could feel at times it was a struggle to finish the swing. Conditions were also tougher than normal. Of the 16 guys in our league, only 1 managed to beat his handicap. As a group, we averaged nearly 7(!!!!) strokes over HC. Since I was only 3 over, I actually feel pretty good about the night.

Well at least we had a beautiful day and a couple birdies! Mentioning that only 1 guy in your league shot his handicap, makes me feel a lot better about my (42/43) 85. I also lost 7 strokes to my course hcp for the round.

• Like 3

Take Dead Aim

Other than a bogie, along with 4 doubles, I shot pretty darn good. 

• Like 4
  • Hmmm 1

:callaway-small: MavriK Sub Zero 9* on EvenFlow RipTide 6.0 50g

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:cobra-small: F8 5/6 wood on Aldila NxT GEN MLT R

:Hogan: Combo iron set -8,9,per Icon 5,6,7 PtxPro 4-UiHi on Recoil 780 ES f4 Stiff shafts (best clubs ever)

:benhogan-small: Equalizer 50°, 54°, 60° wedges on Recoil 780 f4

:EVNROLL: ER3 34”

:titelist-small: ProV1x

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 shoes

My first round back was just ok.  I think I had higher expectations that I should have and besides my first iron shot, did not mishit a ball all day.  I have to remember that I have not been playing all year and that the wind definitely was a factor.  Most of the day is was around a club and a half of wind.  I simply did not adjust as well as I should have and came up short on several shots, giving myself tough up and downs.  Good news is the achilles held up well, but was a bit tired after the round.

Stats don't show this, but tee accuracy was actually very good.  Hit many of my lines and just missed several fairways.  Could have been as many 12 fairways with just a few yards or a different kick.  GIR definitely needs some work, but wind had a large effect on many shots that I struck well and at target, but distance control was just a bit off.

image.png.a3280adf3688ed7e036077fac72fbcc6.png

• Like 8

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X

3 Hybrid: :titelist-small: 818H2 Fujikura Atmos TS Blue 8X

4 Iron - Srixon ZX 23* Recoil F5

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: MP 18 SC Dynamic Gold AMT X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:  image.png.cca2328f4144a299c795aa9b8f3bf677.png Inovai 6.0              :scotty-small: Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"  

36 minutes ago, chisag said:

... There is a pretty big distinction between playing social golf and playing serious golf. Most of the time I am happy to have fun interacting with my partners, enjoy the wildlife, appreciate the walking and play some pretty good golf. Yesterday was not fun, just a non stop grind the last 18 holes. I very rarely have a tournament focus when playing casually because it takes sooooooo much effort mentally. Kinda like what the Pros go through playing a Major, just a 100% focus and they all talk about how exhausting it is playing 4 days in a major and I really respect that kind of dedication and focus. 

Can I ask you a question? What is your typical score on a casual round versus a competitive round? Obviously I read your posts so I know how you score for the most part. Is the course set up much harder that it requires so much more focus? 

I ask this because I never had the feeling of mental drainage after any round of golf. Maybe I'm wired differently or am just missing something that I can't comprehend. I am a routine wired person. Pick a target line or spot, step up practice swing along the target line, step in and hit. Go to ball and repeat.

I had a situation where there was a three way tie for first place. The play off was one shot from 115 yards away. Each team picked one player to hit for the team. Closest to the hole won $400. Nobody in my group would do it. So I did. Same routine, no thought. We won. Granted I am not playing in the type of events you play in.  I don't even know if you can put it in words but when you said soooooooo much effort mentally. I was questioning myself for not understanding the mental situation. Maybe in part because I'm not trying to make a living through golf.

• Like 8

:ping-small: Driver, G400 11* SR Flex

:taylormade-small: 3 Wood, SLDR  HL 17*  R Flex

:taylormade-small: 5 Wood, SLDR 19* R Flex

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, F6 22.5* R Flex

:Sub70: Irons, 699 Pro's S Flex (5 - AW)

:Sub70:  JB Wedge 56*

:cleveland-small: Wedge, CBX 60*

:odyssey-small: Putter, Marksman Fang 35"

An OB on #1 and a double to start the round but ended up with a 42/38 today (+8).  Our greens still trying to recover from punch/sanding, making putting an adventure every time you stroke.

• Like 5

Driver: :ping-small: G400 Max 9 degree set to +1, Aldila Extreme Green 55 gram R shaft 

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M4 3W (16.5*) 5W (21*) 7W (24*) -- stock R shafts.

Irons: :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW KBSTour Graphite  70g shafts R

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX2 52,56, 60 degree wedges

Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7S

Ball: :Snell: MTB-X

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

Snuck out for an impromptu 9 for my first round of the year this afternoon. Was too nice to not play.

44 with 4 pars 3 doubles and 2 bogeys. I am “satisfied” but not as the 2 bogeys were should be pars and the doubles were all due to poor drives and just put myself in bad spots. But also had some good pokes of 284 and 281 with a 255 easy 3w. Felt very confident with the irons in my hand todayE0311177-018C-411C-9865-9A26E256151B.png.9f0fa78f822d057770eb1be69ae0188f.pngB300FF35-C8B0-41F4-AA7A-FEEAC4852EBE.png.0dcb6bbd2372bac1aed00cedf818d39b.png

8E936062-334E-4473-B9D4-FD3D9CE413D3.png.66fc92d29170796c5dd8f9a87fb628bb.png

• Like 6
  • Love 2

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small: G710 Irons Official Review

:Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Thread

WITB:

:ping-small:  Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos::

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X I :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green  I :taylormade-small: 2019 P790 4-PW - Project X 6.5 LZ 

:titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52, 56, 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S I:odyssey-small: O-Works 1W I :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

🇺🇸Thank you to all those that have served/are serving and God Bless America 🇺🇸

8 minutes ago, Lacassem said:

Snuck out for an impromptu 9 for my first round of the year this afternoon. Was too nice to not play.

44 with 4 pars 3 doubles and 2 bogeys. I am “satisfied” but not as the 2 bogeys were should be pars and the doubles were all due to poor drives and just put myself in bad spots. But also had some good pokes of 284 and 281 with a 255 easy 3w. Felt very confident with the irons in my hand todayE0311177-018C-411C-9865-9A26E256151B.png.9f0fa78f822d057770eb1be69ae0188f.pngB300FF35-C8B0-41F4-AA7A-FEEAC4852EBE.png.0dcb6bbd2372bac1aed00cedf818d39b.png

That's a great start to the year and I'm happy to hear the weather is starting to get good enough for you to be able to get out. Those iron shots look crisp and your woods are just straight up bombs! 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Lacassem said:

Irons were a little thin at times but I was very straight and hitting good distances. Woods got me into trouble like I said but I cannot complain at all for the overall 9 hole review!

got some rain coming up the next 7 days so had to take advantage 

• Like 5

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small: G710 Irons Official Review

:Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Thread

WITB:

:ping-small:  Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos::

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X I :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green  I :taylormade-small: 2019 P790 4-PW - Project X 6.5 LZ 

:titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52, 56, 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S I:odyssey-small: O-Works 1W I :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

🇺🇸Thank you to all those that have served/are serving and God Bless America 🇺🇸

5 over 77 on a windy day; what was crazy was I hit 11/14 fairways, which is unheard of for me.  But I only hit 6 greens, and my struggle with my new Sm8 wedges continued. On a day where I only had 29 putts and hit a lot of fairways, my short game was MIA. Time for some new wedges...

• Like 8

24CC2B3B-0E46-4165-97D1-F1CA4C5041C8.png

5 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Can I ask you a question? What is your typical score on a casual round versus a competitive round? Obviously I read your posts so I know how you score for the most part. Is the course set up much harder that it requires so much more focus? 

I ask this because I never had the feeling of mental drainage after any round of golf. Maybe I'm wired differently or am just missing something that I can't comprehend. I am a routine wired person. Pick a target line or spot, step up practice swing along the target line, step in and hit. Go to ball and repeat.

I had a situation where there was a three way tie for first place. The play off was one shot from 115 yards away. Each team picked one player to hit for the team. Closest to the hole won $400. Nobody in my group would do it. So I did. Same routine, no thought. We won. Granted I am not playing in the type of events you play in.  I don't even know if you can put it in words but when you said soooooooo much effort mentally. I was questioning myself for not understanding the mental situation. Maybe in part because I'm not trying to make a living through golf.

... I have shot my lowest rounds playing casual golf and not sure I could say one or the other is higher or lower. I am a big believer in allowing natural ability to dictate play, especially mentally. As an example, let's say I am 10 feet short of the green with a front pin placement. If I just take a good look at the shot and allow my brain to take in the terrain, I can just hit the chip bouncing a few times before rolling on the green for a tap in or even hole it. Every now and then I misjudge the grass beccause it is growing toward or away from me and may have a slightly longer putt to then save par. The point being if I make a bogie, no big deal and I hope to make a birdie later to offset the bogie. BUT ... if I absolutely cannot make bogie I need to walk up to the pin and make sure there are no anomalies on the green, check the cup to see which way the grain is going and pay close attention to the grass that may be at a water run off spot so the grass is thicker than normal. 

... In your 3 way tie for first place, I do think just stepping up and hitting the 115yd shot is ideal. Why bog yourself down mentally when you don't need to. But if you had to make a chip through grass to a short side pin for the $400, just stepping up and hitting it would be a problem if you didn't know what kind of grass, how thick, is there grain and if it's Bermuda is there grain on the putting surface, is it late in the day and where is the sun. Fwiw, I don't play competitively much anymore but might do some super senior tourney's or Club Championships if I find a club here in Phoenix so almost all of my rounds are just casual and fun. It had been a long time since I grinded out a score like in my post. It was mostly just around and on the greens that I had the laser like focus to avoid any chance of a bogie and I was also walking an additional 9 holes on a hilly course, so I was already tired after walking 18. 

• Like 9

Driver:   TaylorMade SIM2 Max 10.5* ... Tensei Raw Blue 60R
Fairway:  TaylorMade SIM2 Max 15* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
                 Cobra SZ 18.5* ... Even Flow 75R
Utility:   TaylorMade DHy 19* ... Diamana Limited 65R
              Taylor Made Sim Hybrid 22* ... Diamana Limited 75R
Irons:    4-Pw Cobra King Tour MIM ... Steelfiber 95R
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 50* ... Steelfiber 95R
                 Vokey SM8 58* ... Steelfiber 95R
Putter:  Cleveland Hunting Beach Soft 11S 33.5"
Ball:      TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

6 hours ago, Lacassem said:

🏋️‍♂️💪

• Like 2

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic Flash SZ with Tensei Orange Pro S (1" tipped) at 44.5"

2H: :callaway-small: Super Hybrid with Tensei Orange Pro Hyb 80 Stiff 

3H: :Sub70: 939X UST proforce V2 black F3 hybrid soft stepped XStiff UPRT setting 

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 1/4" long Unofficial Review

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)  (Backup 54*,60*: :ping-small:  S Tour KBS Tour Stiff 3* up)

Putter: TAII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter (Testing SIK DW 2.0 35" double bend)

Ball: :Snell:MTB-X

:Arccos: