My wife and I played with one of her brothers today; the other drove home to Seattle.  I had a much better front nine than yesterday with a 41 (+4) with one birdie and one double.  However, my back nine was 2 strokes worse than yesterday; 37 (+2) with one birdie and one double.  Overall... 78 today.  

Much better with the driver; my shoulder felt better, but still hurt a little when I lifted my arm over my head.  I had to retrain myself to pull clubs from my bag with my left hand.  😬  My short game wasn't as sharp and putting was just OK.

• Like 9

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

• Replies 17.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

After six years of playing, I got my first hole in one yesterday! Pretty crazy feeling to see the ball drop from the tee box. It was a slight downhill par 3 from 150 yards, got it done with a 9 iron!

+4 75 (40/35) 6/13 FiR 8/18 GiR 28 putts First ace today! #17, 121y PW that dunked into the cup. Best part was the group in front was part of our group, and waved us on since we we

🚨 PERSONAL BEST ALERT! 🚨 - 36/39 = 75 (+3) 😍 - 6/15 FIR - 11/18 GIR (2 birdies) - 30 Putts (12 2-putts, 6 1-putts) Cold, dreary morning and the course was pretty empty. I really took my t

Posted Images

1 minute ago, cnosil said:

Didn't expect a lot during todays round after taking a lesson yesterday. I went into the round with the intent of trying to execute the swing I was working on yesterday no matter the results. Overall I didn't really have bad swing results; everything went pretty straight.  A couple of bad swings off the tee but overall tee shots weren't that bad; misses were just off the fairway with no impact on approach to green. Iron shots were generally pretty good. A few off the toe, but nothing significantly left or right. The big cause of the bogeys and worse was my pitching game. Yesterday my instructor had me get closer to the ball on my iron shots so I did the same with the pitch shots; didn't work very well and hit a lot of them fat. Generally got enough of the ball to get it up to the green but needs some work.  

41/41:82.    6 Fairways,  7 GIR (3 nGir), 31 putts.  

Monte kept trying to get me to stand closer to the ball as well; bad results!!  I'm still working on it.  However, I have good results when I set up closer with wedges. That doesn't bother me.  Go figure.  

• Like 5

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

8 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Didn't expect a lot during todays round after taking a lesson yesterday. I went into the round with the intent of trying to execute the swing I was working on yesterday no matter the results. Overall I didn't really have bad swing results; everything went pretty straight.  A couple of bad swings off the tee but overall tee shots weren't that bad; misses were just off the fairway with no impact on approach to green. Iron shots were generally pretty good. A few off the toe, but nothing significantly left or right. The big cause of the bogeys and worse was my pitching game. Yesterday my instructor had me get closer to the ball on my iron shots so I did the same with the pitch shots; didn't work very well and hit a lot of them fat. Generally got enough of the ball to get it up to the green but needs some work.  

41/41:82.    6 Fairways,  7 GIR (3 nGir), 31 putts.  

Getting closer to the ball was one of the changes from my swing coach, as well.  

• Like 5

Driver: :ping-small: G400 Max 9 degree set to +1, Aldila Extreme Green 55 gram R shaft 

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M4 3W (16.5*) Hybrids: :taylormade-small: M6 3,4, & 5 -- stock R shafts.

Irons: :callaway-small:Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW KBS and SW bent to 52 Tour Graphite  70g shafts R

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX-2 56*  Stock shaft.

Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7S

Ball: :Snell: MTB-X

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

11 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

Monte kept trying to get me to stand closer to the ball as well; bad results!!  I'm still working on it.  However, I have good results when I set up closer with wedges. That doesn't bother me.  Go figure.  

4 minutes ago, CarlH said:

Getting closer to the ball was one of the changes from my swing coach, as well.  

Closer worked well for full swing and for chips.  I just need to get the pitches figured out when I am on the course.  It worked okay on the range 🤪

• Like 7

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  Bellum Winmore 787

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

5 minutes ago, fozcycle said:

Shot 43/43:86 with 2 Penalties and a Birdie on the final hole, Par 4 #18!

Only two holes left for the all Birdie Challenge this year!(#2 & #16).

Sweet!!!!! That’s awesome 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Driver: :cobra-small: King F9 Speedback, Xphlexxx Busa 2 Liquid, XX stiff, 45”

Fwy:  :callaway-small: Super Hybrid 17*, Aldila RIP Alpha 105 S, tipped 1”

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 105X

Irons: :honma:TR20 Tour P 4-10, :Nippon: Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Wedges: Vega VW-06 50*/54*/58*, Dynamic Gold S400

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

All clubs have :Arccos:  In the Winn Dri-Tac 2.0 Oversize grips

16 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Not to be Captain Obvious and again most on a golf forum are usually pretty knowledgeable about the basics but I hope you guys are choking down on your clubs when standing closer to the ball for chips and pitches. Not talking about full swings but the amount of people I see that do not choke up for chips/pitches is just mind boggling. 

I do for chips,  but when I get out to 20y plus I don't. 

• Like 7

Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

25 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Not to be Captain Obvious and again most on a golf forum are usually pretty knowledgeable about the basics but I hope you guys are choking down on your clubs when standing closer to the ball for chips and pitches. Not talking about full swings but the amount of people I see that do not choke up for chips/pitches is just mind boggling. 

I do for all shots with my 54 and 60; I never take full swings with those clubs.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, chisag said:

Definitely!

• Like 6

Driver: :ping-small: G400 Max 9 degree set to +1, Aldila Extreme Green 55 gram R shaft 

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M4 3W (16.5*) Hybrids: :taylormade-small: M6 3,4, & 5 -- stock R shafts.

Irons: :callaway-small:Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW KBS and SW bent to 52 Tour Graphite  70g shafts R

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX-2 56*  Stock shaft.

Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7S

Ball: :Snell: MTB-X

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

10 hours ago, chisag said:

Probably getting off topic a bit, but your post makes it seem like everyone should do this all the time.  Did some searching and can’t really find anything that says it is required or an obvious thing. I understand it could provide more control but your captain obvious makes it seem like a best practice and everyone does it all the time     As examples, here are some videos of non choked down.  Not trying to knock what you are saying, trying to learn 

james ridyard: short game coach

Tiger woods 

james sieckmann: short game coach

https://www.facebook.com/titleist/videos/408455400331163/

phil mickelson

• Like 6
  • Love 2

11 hours ago, cnosil said:

Closer worked well for full swing and for chips.  I just need to get the pitches figured out when I am on the course.  It worked okay on the range 🤪

I wish my range play was my course play 😂😂

• Like 6

Check out my reviews

:ping-small: G710 Irons Lacassem official review

WITB:

:taylormade-small: FlexTech is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos::

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X I :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green 

:taylormade-small: 2019 P790 4-PW - Project X 6.5 LZ I :titelist-small: 48 SM8 - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:titelist-small: 52, 56, 60 SM7 - Nippon Modus 125 S :odyssey-small: O-Works 1W I :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

🇺🇸Thank you to all those that have served/are serving and God Bless America 🇺🇸

10 hours ago, chisag said:

Nope not obvious, I consciously am not sure if I do or not TBO? I’m going to have to pay attention and see if I actually do choke down on my around the green play.....that’s alarming that I don’t know....

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Check out my reviews

:ping-small: G710 Irons Lacassem official review

WITB:

:taylormade-small: FlexTech is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos::

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X I :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green 

:taylormade-small: 2019 P790 4-PW - Project X 6.5 LZ I :titelist-small: 48 SM8 - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:titelist-small: 52, 56, 60 SM7 - Nippon Modus 125 S :odyssey-small: O-Works 1W I :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

🇺🇸Thank you to all those that have served/are serving and God Bless America 🇺🇸

Played a tournament round down in Harbor Lakes, Granbury, TX.  It was a very tough day to play in steady 20-25mphs winds💨, it was hard to even swing in the tee box as your body kept on moving and putting well, they lost their greens do to the frost, and it was either padded down dirt or somewhat a resembled of grass and the ball moving.
I did have some wind assist putts that went in , pass it 1 to 2 in and the wind blew💨 it back into the hole, those were they highlights of making a 6 instead of a 7. Thanks wind.. 🤣
Playing in the wind takes you out of your normal game, you know you not suppose to swing harder but you can't talk your self out of it. Trying to hit shots further back in your stand, created some power shanks while trying to hit harder because of the wind. Am surprise I was able to score what I did, and came in 4th. I know there were at least 2-3 people didn't break 100. 
Not a pretty score card.

image.png.1a2c98183afbc0da68e55c1fd0dd33ef.png

• Like 8

Driver:  TourEdge Exotic Pro 9.5 with  NIPPO N.S. Regio Formula MB+ 65 Stiff
3 -Wood: Cobra King SZ with Tensei AV Blue Stiff
4-Hybrid: Cobra King F9 Hybrid
Irons: Mizuno MP-18 MMC - 5-PW , w/SteelFiber i125
WedgesCleveland RTX 4 RAW - 52 ,56, 60
Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab Seven S, 34in
BallsTaylorMade Tour Response, TaylorMade TPx  & Snell MTB-X-
GPS:  :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

TESTING: NIPPO N.S. Regio Formula MB+ 65 Stiff.

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

Probably getting off topic a bit, but your post makes it seem like everyone should do this all the time.  Did some searching and can’t really find anything that says it is required or an obvious thing. I understand it could provide more control but your captain obvious makes it seem like a best practice and everyone does it all the time     As examples, here are some videos of non choked down.  Not trying to knock what you are saying, trying to learn 

james ridyard: short game coach

Tiger woods 

james sieckmann: short game coach

https://www.facebook.com/titleist/videos/408455400331163/

phil mickelson

I'm in the same boat as @cnosil here, not discounting the advice but I can also say I'm not aware of it as a universally-accepted mandate.  Dave Stockton is another, in his book "Unconscious Scoring", who specifically recommends against choking down.  I don't have the book at my fingertips at the moment but he had his reasons...I'll have to check and circle back here tonight.

• Like 8

Driver: :honma:TR20 460, Vizard 60g Stiff

FW: :tour-edge: CBX 119 3w, 15,  Project X Evenflow Blue 75g Stiff

Hybrids: :taylormade-small: SIM DHY 3 & 4H, Diamana Limited Hybrid 75g Stiff

Iron: :mizuno-small:JPX 919 Forged 5-GW, Project X 6.0

Wedges::vokey-small:SM8 54 S Grind, 60 M Grind

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER7B 

:SuperSpeed:

Tested the Honma TR20 460 driver

20 minutes ago, bens197 said:

Short game is everything...the foundation of every swing and the key to success or failure is tempo.  Take it back too quickly and I'll guarantee a deceleration.  

I agree that the short game is everything, you see some coaches teaching new players from the green back to tee box.
I spend more time practicing chipping and putting, since those golf movements can be minimal and you can get a consistent tempo easier than Hitting your driver or irons.

To me if am chipping and putting well, it takes less pressure of my driver or irons because I have the confidence that I can get up and down most of the time. That cause my Driver and Iron to swing freely.

• Like 7
  • Love 1

Driver:  TourEdge Exotic Pro 9.5 with  NIPPO N.S. Regio Formula MB+ 65 Stiff
3 -Wood: Cobra King SZ with Tensei AV Blue Stiff
4-Hybrid: Cobra King F9 Hybrid
Irons: Mizuno MP-18 MMC - 5-PW , w/SteelFiber i125
WedgesCleveland RTX 4 RAW - 52 ,56, 60
Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab Seven S, 34in
BallsTaylorMade Tour Response, TaylorMade TPx  & Snell MTB-X-
GPS:  :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

TESTING: NIPPO N.S. Regio Formula MB+ 65 Stiff.