How'd you play?

MmmmmmBuddy

42/42 on a long tough course with some strong winds on the back 9. Missed some chances at par but without having really touching a club in a couple weeks other than a range session Tuesday the swing was pretty consistent with irons. A few blocks with driver.

• Like 7

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Wheels fell off on the back yesterday but still posted a decent number. Mental game was all out of whack.

Had a couple ******** guys jump in front of us at #12 and they were not good. So they held us up some as well.

But the crux of my problem was poor ball striking (not outside factors). Made up for it with a few nice putt saves. 

Regardless I was out playing golf and not working!! 

image.jpeg.d2a0aa5be1a0b994c733b8e985314789.jpeg

• Like 7

:tour-edge: C721 7.5° Driver with HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.5

:titelist-small: TSi3 15° Fairway with HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.5

:mizuno-small: MP H4 3-PW with TT DG S300

:callaway-small: MD4 52°, MD5 56°, 60°

:taylormade-small: Spider SR Single Bend

:taylormade-small: TP5

:titelist-small: Hybrid 14-way Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9 Rangefinder

Got out for an evening round with my brother after work yesterday - we rolled our putts in on 18 just after sunset. 
A82CA6EF-A2F0-4849-9274-738855D267EF.jpeg.6dbc8c3b9a5346ea4ff0455ead357037.jpeg

My driver was slicing terribly, and as a result I got too much inside my own head trying to compensate and was hitting my irons all over the place. Slices, hosel rockets, toe-down chunks, even a topped pitching wedge off a tee on a short par 3! I think I hit every imaginable poor iron shot early, culminating in a triple-bogey on 7. 

Somehow I managed to hit the middle of the fairway with my 3W off the tee on the 8th hole and was looking at 145 yards in to a green with lots of bailout room on the right. I was frustrated and worried standing over the ball so I stepped away and told myself to focus on the absolute basics: takeaway a few degrees outside, and then just think about getting my hips around and ignore my arms and hands. It worked! Suddenly I had my confidence back and was thankful that I had managed to grind out some pars and bogeys up to that point. 

My driver continued to slice the rest of the day, but my irons were feeling excellent and I started stringing a bunch of good holes together. My chipping and wedges especially were excellent, giving me lots of good looks at par (and the occasional bogey save) and first round out with the new putter I had 30 putts. 

All that to say that when I rolled in my last putt and checked my score, I shot an 88! First time breaking 90 - heading into the Cobra Connect Challenge I’m playing the best golf of my life!

A0CBAE1F-C04A-49E3-A2B2-54AE13B220A1.jpeg.361a9ac2b29d9d162c8ac53df11496f7.jpeg

I almost felt bad for my brother - we had a steak dinner bet on who would be the first to break 90, and all he needed was one par on the back nine to do it as well. Still a career-best for him by 3 strokes though! I’m super excited now to see how low I can go with the Cobra clubs - 80 doesn’t seem out of reach!

• Like 7
  • Love 1

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor!

Driver - :cobra-small:Radspeed XB, Aldila Rogue Silver 70-S
3 Wood - :cobra-small:Radspeed, Aldila Rogue Silver 70-S
5 Wood - :cobra-small:Radspeed, Fujikura Motore X F3 6-S
4 Hybrid - :cobra-small:Radspeed, Mitsubishi MMT 80 S

Irons - :cobra-small:Radspeed 5-GW, KBS $-Taper Lite S
Wedges - :cobra-small:King Cobra Snakebite 52° & 58°, KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 S
Putter - :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Black Ten 35"
Ball - :srixon-small: Z-Star XV

4 hours ago, Rickp said:

I’ve heard that B4.

The handicap was when I was playing back Tees and the last year have moved to Senior Tees.  There’s a big difference from 6,300 yards to 5,500/5,600 yards.

Yep, a lot easier with a 7 iron approach shot than a 4 hybrid!  Still gotta get it in the hole, though 😄 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Driver: :ping-small: G400 Max 9 degree set to +1, Aldila Extreme Green 55 gram R shaft 

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M4 3W (16.5*) 5W (21*) 7W (24*) -- stock R shafts.

Irons: :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW KBSTour Graphite  70g shafts R

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX2 52,56, 60 degree wedges

Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7S

Ball: :Snell: MTB-X

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

1 hour ago, analyticandrew said:

Wheels fell off on the back yesterday but still posted a decent number. Mental game was all out of whack.

Had a couple ******** guys jump in front of us at #12 and they were not good. So they held us up some as well.

But the crux of my problem was poor ball striking (not outside factors). Made up for it with a few nice putt saves. 

Regardless I was out playing golf and not working!! 

image.jpeg.d2a0aa5be1a0b994c733b8e985314789.jpeg

What generates your round report?

• Like 2

Driver: :ping-small: G400 Max 9 degree set to +1, Aldila Extreme Green 55 gram R shaft 

2 hours ago, chisag said:

... Please send that rain down here to Phoenix. No rain since December. DECEMBER!!!

Drought in Southern Oregon, as well.  We didn't see much rain during our rainy season.  Gonna be a tough fire season and water shortage this year, here.  I'm not familiar with Phoenix' weather pattern --- just know that it's hot in the summer months 🙂

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, CarlH said:

Drought in Southern Oregon, as well.  We didn't see much rain during our rainy season.  Gonna be a tough fire season and water shortage this year, here.  I'm not familiar with Phoenix' weather pattern --- just know that it's hot in the summer months 🙂

... Locals tell me it usually rains 3-5 times every winter. This year zero rain. We did have 2 days where rain was predicted and it had a light mist for about an hour but not even enough to cover the ground. Already wildfires out in the wilderness. After suffering through 2019/2020 May's in Chicago where they set record rainfall totals, this is the exact opposite. Every time I play my cart/shoes are covered in dust like a spaghetti western. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Driver:   TaylorMade SIM2 Max 10.5* ... Diamana Ltd 60R
Fairway:  TaylorMade SIM2 Max 15* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
                 TaylorMade SIM2 Max 18* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
Utility:   TaylorMade DHy 19* ... Diamana Ltd 65R
              Taylor Made Sim Hybrid 22* ... Diamana Ltd 75R
Irons:    4-Pw Cobra King Tour MIM ... Steelfiber 95R
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 50* ... Steelfiber 95R
                 Vokey SM8 58* ... Steelfiber 95R
Putter:  Cleveland Hunting Beach Soft 11S 33.5"
Ball:      TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

Got out and had a pretty good round. Even par on the front 9 with birdies on both par 5s. Back 9 always plays tougher at this course so a bad shot penalty and missed putts led to a 40. Shots were either a block or pulled draw. I'm getting center of club face, distances are right and high ball flight, just not getting the club face on line.

• Like 7

Take Dead Aim

3 hours ago, Kenny B said:

Rain doesn't last long here; maybe an hour or two.  We need it up here this year; we are in a drought year.  We have irrigation water supplied by a canal system, but in the past we have been rationed during droughts.  We live along the Columbia River, but the irrigation canal is fed by the Yakima River which starts in the Cascades from snow melt.  

We are headed for a drought, irrigation ponds are getting very low.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Titleist TSi2, Kuro Kage 50 gr R2

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous Vista Pro R2

Irons; Ping G710 6-GW, Recoil 460 R2

Putter; Waaay too many to list

1 hour ago, CarlH said:

Yep, a lot easier with a 7 iron approach shot than a 4 hybrid!  Still gotta get it in the hole, though 😄 

Yup, chipping & putting still important.
The second shots were killing all of us.  When one of the guys brought up moving up to Senior Tees there wasn’t any no votes.  A lot more birdies and Fireball 👍 

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Titleist TSi2, Kuro Kage 50 gr R2

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous Vista Pro R2

Irons; Ping G710 6-GW, Recoil 460 R2

Putter; Waaay too many to list

2 hours ago, CarlH said:

What generates your round report?

DECADE

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, analyticandrew said:

DECADE

OK...I knew you were doing DECADE...didn't know that was the output.  Thnx.  

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, CarlH said:

OK...I knew you were doing DECADE...didn't know that was the output.  Thnx.  

It’s just one of MANY 

• Like 1

Had 42 putts today, that was pretty exciting

• Like 1
  • Sad 8

Right Handed

Driver (9°): :cobra-small: Speedzone (HZRDUS Smoke Green 70g X-Stiff shaft)

2 Hybrid (18°): :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

3/Driving Iron (18°): :Hogan: UiHi Iron (KBS Tour V 110g shaft)

Irons (4-PW)  post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS-1's (KBS $-Taper 120g Stiff shafts)

Wedges (50°, 54° & 58°) post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TSW Forged (Dynamic Gold S300)

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B (2019 MGS Official Review here)

Ball: :Snell: MTB-Black OR MAXFLI Tour OR TP5X

Posted (edited)

I almost had a real senior moment today. My friends have booked 4 rounds the next 7 days, and I thought we were playing Tam O’Shanter today. It turns out we were playing Middle Island CC, which is at least 60 miles further east on Long Island. Thank goodness one of them called this morning asking if I wanted him to pick me up. I would’ve shown up at a course about an hour and a half away. 🙄

Middle Island CC is an extremely narrow and long golf course. The white tees play over 6500 yards and the gold almost 6100. Since the four of us are all either 66 or 67 years old, and two of them are around 25 hcaps, I suggested we play the golds, but they insisted on the whites, saying “those are the tees we always play.” They should have listened to me.
After the 470 yard par 4 second, I knew the two of them wouldn’t break 110, and myself and the other player would be lucky to play bogey golf. I came close with a 92, the others shot 98, 114 and 116. I didn’t play badly, there were just so many holes I couldn’t reach in regulation. Even the par 3’s were tough. Two were over 200 yards, the others played 180 and 165..

I made just enough silly mistakes to not break 90... poor chips, and two water balls, yada yada. I couldn’t really get too upset, playing a course that long I’d have to have been near perfect to pull it off, and how often do we do that?

Ihit a lot of really good shots today, I just didn’t have  the firepower to score well on this course. The good news is, after two rounds in two days my back feels great.
I’m going to rest tomorrow and watch the final round of the PGA with my dad, then go to the range Monday to work on my irons and wedges. Tuesday we tee it up again, and we should do better. I think my friends have learned to let me pick the proper tees for them from now on, lol.

Edited by Grand Stranded
  • Like 7
  • Love 1

:callaway-small:  Epic Max 9* Cypher

:callaway-small:  Epic Star 15* & 18* Bassara

:cobra-small: Speedzone 21* 

:callaway-small:  Rogue X 5-AW

:cleveland-small:  CBX2 50* & 56*

:ping-small: Kushion 4 34”    :yes-small:  Tracy 33.5”

:1590477705_SunMountain: 4.5 LS 14 way Black stand bag

On 5/20/2021 at 7:47 PM, CarlH said:

oh to be young again....lol

I was NEVER young enough to hit a 200+ yard 7 iron. 😢

• Haha 7

:callaway-small:  Epic Max 9* Cypher

:callaway-small:  Epic Star 15* & 18* Bassara

:cobra-small: Speedzone 21* 

:callaway-small:  Rogue X 5-AW

:cleveland-small:  CBX2 50* & 56*

:ping-small: Kushion 4 34”    :yes-small:  Tracy 33.5”

:1590477705_SunMountain: 4.5 LS 14 way Black stand bag

42 minutes ago, Grand Stranded said:

I was NEVER young enough to hit a 200+ yard 7 iron. 😢

When I was that young the ball was wound and the liquid center was half evaporated and the 7i loft was the same as today's 9i so it wasn't going 200!  That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!    😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Modern Bag:  Ping G410+ 9*, Accra TourZ X265 M5;  Snake Eyes 15*, 18* & 23* Hybrids; Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Cleveland Tour Action 49*, 53*, 57*; PX LZ 6.5 ;  Ping Heppler Fetch;  Ball - Snell MTB-X; Bag - Sun Mountain H2NO 

Classic Bag:  Driver - Wilson Staff Persimmon; 3w - Hogan Speed Slot; 5w - Wilson Staff Tour Block; 3 - pw - Staff Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

On 5/21/2021 at 11:04 AM, Rickp said:

Friday Bacon Boyz 😱. Have no idea what I shot for the 9, maybe 4 over.  It was one of those chirping, BB, laugh mornings.  It was a great time with some golf added.

Breakfast was 12 Senior guys once again solving the world’s problems!!  

I wondered what happen when my day all of a sudden got easier! Thanks!!!!!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Driver: :cobra-small: King F9 Speedback/:callaway-small:Epic Max LS, Xphlexxx Busa 2 Liquid, XX stiff, 45”

Fwy:  :callaway-small: Epic Speed 4w, MMT 80X

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 105X

Irons: :honma:TR20 Tour P 4-10, :Nippon: Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

All but putter have Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Calibrate midsize built to oversize +1