How'd you play?

MmmmmmBuddy

4 hours ago, sirchunksalot said:

Incremental improvement is moving in the right direction, and that is awesome! 

Thx! And back at ya .. keep working thru those ups & downs ....

• Like 6

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
..Callaway Epic Speed 4W (Project X Cypher)
..Tour Edge Exotics EXS 7W (Tensei CK Blue)
..Callaway Super Hybrid 23 (PX Catalyst) and Big Bertha 19 5H (Recoil ZTR)
..PXG 0211 6i-GW (Mitsubishi MMT) 
..Cleveland CBX2 54 and CBX 60 (both Rotex graphite)
..Evnroll ER5 (33", 385g, P2 Reflex Tour)
..all in a Datrek bag on a Bag Boy Quad XL push an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart.

Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator

8 hours ago, Grand Stranded said:

Played on Saturday and shot another 91. 🙄

I’ve been talking about how bad I’ve been playing for a while no, and I feel like a broken record. The game isn’t fun when you’re struggling, and neither is talking about it.

I love this place. You guys are all so supportive, and I feel like I have a group of “golf buddy’s” that I’ve never even met, if that makes sense.

Here’s the thing though. I’m going to take a break from posting here. It’s not because I don’t enjoy it, I do. I’ll continue to lurk, and root for “my boys” to get where they want to be in this crazy game. I’ll be back, I just don’t have it in me right now to keep talking about yesterday’s round of bogey golf, and how frustrated I was/am by it.

I’m at the point right now where I either walk away from the game, or dive in head first and work my ass off to get back on track, and I’m going to work, not quit.

I’ll be playing at least 3 or 4 times a week, putting in practice time and keeping up with an instructor until at least the end of the summer. After that, I’ll reassess where I am. If things are getting better, great. If they aren’t, I’ll walk away from the game knowing I gave it my best shot. I can’t take playing like this, or getting any worse than I am playing now. I keep saying it, but it’s just not fun.

So enjoy your summer, and play well. I’m rooting for each and every one of you to shoot your personal bests out there. Hopefully, when I get back to you it’s with happy news about my having righted this sinking ship! 😂 

Time for you to “recharge”, we all go thru this occasionally.  I’m sure in a short time you’ll get it back together again.   

• Like 9

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Titleist TSi2, Kuro Kage 50 gr R2

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous Vista Pro R2

Irons; Ping G710 6-GW, Recoil 460 R2

Putter; Waaay too many to list

A nice “NO HUMIDITY” FL morning!  Greens were beautiful, a bit slow but no bumps.  There’s a weather front moving in so it is very windy.

Shot +4, short game was pretty lousy.

• Like 9

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Titleist TSi2, Kuro Kage 50 gr R2

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous Vista Pro R2

Irons; Ping G710 6-GW, Recoil 460 R2

Putter; Waaay too many to list

8 hours ago, Grand Stranded said:

I’ve been talking about how bad I’ve been playing for a while no, and I feel like a broken record. The game isn’t fun when you’re struggling, and neither is talking about it.

I love this place. You guys are all so supportive, and I feel like I have a group of “golf buddy’s” that I’ve never even met, if that makes sense.

Here’s the thing though. I’m going to take a break from posting here. It’s not because I don’t enjoy it, I do. I’ll continue to lurk, and root for “my boys” to get where they want to be in this crazy game. I’ll be back, I just don’t have it in me right now to keep talking about yesterday’s round of bogey golf, and how frustrated I was/am by it.

I’m at the point right now where I either walk away from the game, or dive in head first and work my ass off to get back on track, and I’m going to work, not quit.

I’ll be playing at least 3 or 4 times a week, putting in practice time and keeping up with an instructor until at least the end of the summer. After that, I’ll reassess where I am. If things are getting better, great. If they aren’t, I’ll walk away from the game knowing I gave it my best shot. I can’t take playing like this, or getting any worse than I am playing now. I keep saying it, but it’s just not fun.

So enjoy your summer, and play well. I’m rooting for each and every one of you to shoot your personal bests out there. Hopefully, when I get back to you it’s with happy news about my having righted this sinking ship! 😂 

Sad to hear.  I know your feeling though.  I've had more than my share of bad rounds mixed in with a few stellar performances.  It is frustrating because I know that I can do better.  I've just done it!!

I also know from your posts that you are good player, but it sounds like you are just getting out of position.  When we are struggling, we tend to try something to fix it, and that can make us worse.  I know you liked your instructor, and were doing pretty well.  However, maybe you should seek a different coach; different eyes, a different point of view.  

Personally, I don't think I could keep playing 3-4 times a week unless I was just out on the course practicing my current lesson.  If I were playing with buds and just having fun, I would revert back to my old habits and would have to start over with the lesson afterwards.  

I certainly hope that you can work things out, and I hope to see you back here soon.  I understand, and we will miss you.

• Like 9

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

5 minutes ago, rbsiedsc said:

Played the best first 7 holes of my life then had a complete collapse to my worst round of the year. 50/63. Ugh. It’s like I forgot how to golf. Lost ten balls today mostly off driver or bladed wedges. Was blading wedges (actually just my 58*) which killed my approach  SG. Forgot how to hit a driver even though Arccos said my driving improved compared to my average.  Played from several other fairways than my own. Good thing I was striking my irons great (Arccos doesn’t fully agree), I just was too long on every hole because I played the distance to the back of the green based on Arccos averages which normalize to my poor strokes. As well some of my topped drives left me in really long positions. 

Thinking of ending my driver testing and now playing to score instead off the tee. 

66C5B5B2-4BD7-409A-83D4-10CA85EFC41D.jpeg

547FEFD0-F321-419D-B87B-908DD430126A.jpeg

58B63FCD-ADFB-48BE-8FC0-C03DDA8EBDEC.png

CDE7CD35-ACDD-43D2-9D35-086679C8B087.png

You are a lot better than that Randy!  Get that fixed, or I'm coming down there and kick you around the course!  😂

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

11 hours ago, Grand Stranded said:

If they aren’t, I’ll walk away from the game knowing I gave it my best shot.

Sorry to hear 'cuz it does seem that you truly enjoy the game .. and enjoy being out on a golf course! Hope you find your way to whatever is best for you...................

For me .. I picked up the game way too late in life to really become "good" at it, but .. otoh .. I do enjoy being being outside on a golf course and look at it as, if I may borrow the words of the very inestimable Gary Player 😉 , as "A Game For Life" ...
(..well at least for as long as I can stand on two feet, or whatever I have left, and still swing a club .. or at least a putter ...)

• Like 7

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
..Callaway Epic Speed 4W (Project X Cypher)
..Tour Edge Exotics EXS 7W (Tensei CK Blue)
..Callaway Super Hybrid 23 (PX Catalyst) and Big Bertha 19 5H (Recoil ZTR)
..PXG 0211 6i-GW (Mitsubishi MMT) 
..Cleveland CBX2 54 and CBX 60 (both Rotex graphite)
..Evnroll ER5 (33", 385g, P2 Reflex Tour)
..all in a Datrek bag on a Bag Boy Quad XL push an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart.

Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator

1 hour ago, Kenny B said:

You are a lot better than that Randy!  Get that fixed, or I'm coming down there and kick you around the course!  😂

Randy, you know, I think he's just ornery enough to do it 🙂.

• Haha 3

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver | Official 2019 MGS Tester

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-UW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:ping-small: B61 Putter

My Tuesday 9 holes. I'm still all over the place off the tee but not as bad as last week. My 3 wood off the deck has been really solid only one mishit out of the 4 times I pulled out so pleased with that. My putting was pretty good and is the best part of my game right now. One 3 putt, one 4 putt though 😖, one 1 putt which was about 25 feet, oh and one 0 putt. a chip in from off the green from 30 feet. Hitting my full wedges pretty solid. I love my Callaway Mack Daddy CB. 

• Like 5

TaylorMade Supreme Hybrid Stand Bag

Ping G400 Max 10.5° w/HZRDUS Smoke Black

PXG 0341 3 wood 15° w/Project X Even Flow Blue

New Level Golf NLU-01 18° Utility w/Mitsubishi Kura Kage Black

Ping G30 Hybrid 3 19° w/Ping TFC 419H

Ping G410 Crossover 4 23° w/Mitsubishi Tensei Blue

PXG 0211 Irons 5 - Gap w/True Temper Elevate 95

Callaway Mack Daddy CB 54° W-Grind w/KBS HI-REV 2.0 105

Evnroll ER7 34” Testing: Evnroll ER11v 34”

Kirkland Signature V2.0 3 piece 

Mileseey PF210 Laser Rangefinder

Clicgear 3.5+

18 hours ago, Grand Stranded said:

I'm glad to hear the determination in your post to get better, and I'm rooting for you. I get your frustration, I am dealing with it, too. This game is hard and can really do a number on you when it's not going well. I hope to see you posting again before long and hearing about the steps you've taken to improve. 

• Like 3

Shot a 42/42/84 at my new home, Plantation Palms GC today.  Did not feel I struck the ball that well, but was able to get 10 FIR’s(71%), 1 GIR(11%) & 28 Putts.

On the Par 5 #9, I missed the fairway with my drive, heeled it 53 yards..Ugh followed by 2 7W’s then a 77 yard approach with my 54* Zipcore which landed on the green and stopped just 6 inches from the hole for a par!

That was the kind of day I had, but the results were great. For the first time, I scored two net skins on the back nine out of 6 total skins paid…..$5 each.  It’s a great game as you don’t get hung up with a bad hole as it is 18 separate games…..net skins.  We play off a 6 Hcap and I am a 13, so I get 7 strokes on the hardest 7 holes. It keeps you from thinking the big game and keeps you grounded.

FB2E2A4E-5882-4B89-879D-79BF0FDD0262.jpeg

• Like 9

Driver: PXG 0211 w/Evenflo Riptide CB Regular shaft 

Fairways:  Cobra King F8 3-4W(16*) & 5-6W(20*) w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft 

Hybrid: Cobra F8 3 Hybrid(19*) w/Recoil ES regular shaft 

Irons: Wilson D7 5-PW w/Recoil 460 Regular graphite shafts 

Wedges: Cleveland RTX Zipcore(50*/54*/58*) w/True Temper Spinner Wedge steel shaft  

Putter: 33" Evnroll ER2 w/Evnroll Gravity Grip 

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black).  

Pushcart:  Caddytek 3.0 from Costco

Ball: Maxfli Tour CG & Titleist Pro V1x.

I was bogey-free until the 8th hole tonight. Nevermind that is was 3 pars and 4 doubles. Bogies on the last 2 for a lovely +10. I was actually hitting the ball solid and nothing really sucked but I had a couple really awful breaks (see below). I try not to remind myself that I got a couple good breaks, too.

Screenshot_20210622-203137.jpg.f2e9305347f928f7e0b00689b78d0c1b.jpg

Number 14 - fairly straightforward par 5. I had a good tee shot. I was left with about 195 to the front. I started to pull my 4H and choke down a bit, but a decent tail wind kicked up, so I grabbed 6i. I thought I'd be short or perhaps just bounce up towards the green since the second shot is blind and the landing area is downhill. I hit a really solid 6, but pulled it a bit. Thought I'd be in the bunker on the left. The ball was in the woods long. I didn't see the bounce, but certainly not representative of the amount of rain we've had recently. Compound it with a 3-putt, and.... yeah.

Oh well, playing Thursday morning with @DiscipleofPenick, so we'll get 'em next time.

• Like 8

Driver: :taylormade-small: M5 10.5* (set at 8.5*) Tensei CK Orange
3W: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 15* Recoil 460ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:  :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW: :cleveland-small: Zipcore Black Satin 58*
Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Marxman
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5x Pix
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

2021 Test - Callaway Epic Speed

10 hours ago, MaxEntropy said:

Oh well, playing Thursday morning with @DiscipleofPenick, so we'll get 'em next time.

So am I, 8.08 at Windmill...if I'd have known.

• Like 3

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSi2 Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.0
Fairway: :Sub70: 939X 15° Project X Even Flow Blue 6.0
Hybrid: :Sub70: 939X 3 Hybrid Project X Even Flow Riptide 6.0
Irons: :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 4-GW Project X Catalyst 80 6.0
Wedge: :cleveland-small: Smartsole S
Putter :yes-small: Tracy
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls::Snell: MTB-X or Black

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the Queen🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Played 9 holes yesterday and approach play was near the best it's been in a very long time.  Unfortunately, my ability to get the ball in the hole, was below average.  

Two shots really cost me off the tee and let to double bogeys.  

I was on one par 5 in two with 15 feet for eagle (birdie)  and another was just off the back in two shots (par 🙄) Putting left some to be desired as well.

Looking back I had 4 opportunities within 15 feet for birdie and 1 eagle opportunity at 15 feet and only made 1 birdie.  1/5 is just not going to cut it.  Ok rant over.

3/7 fairways

7/9 greens

18 putts (all 2 putts)

• Like 8

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X

3 Hybrid: :titelist-small: 818H2 Fujikura Atmos TS Blue 8X

4 Iron - Srixon ZX 23* Recoil F5

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: MP 18 SC Dynamic Gold AMT X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:  image.png.cca2328f4144a299c795aa9b8f3bf677.png Inovai 6.0              :scotty-small: Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"  

Got one of my buddies to finally come out to play, it’s been 7 months for him!!! He shot pretty darned good for that long of a layoff. It prompted me to make a tee time at another track where our old 4-some used to play, and gunna force them old boys out of their crib, and back onto the grass!

that’s right, we’re getting the band together again…

ps, I shot pretty good, and Evn kept up his good work with 31 putts, many were dead on line and stopped a few inches short due to the dew on the grass, 3 putts would have definitely gone in without the dew, which would have made a good round, a really good round…

• Like 8

:callaway-small: MavriK Sub Zero 9* on EvenFlow RipTide 6.0 50g

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:cobra-small: F8 5/6 wood on Aldila NxT GEN MLT R

:Hogan: Combo iron set -8,9,per Icon 5,6,7 PtxPro 4-UiHi on Recoil 780 ES f4 Stiff shafts (best clubs ever)

:benhogan-small: Equalizer 50°, 54°, 60° wedges on Recoil 780 f4

:EVNROLL: ER3 34”

:titelist-small: ProV1x

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 shoes

On 6/21/2021 at 9:57 PM, Grand Stranded said:

I was recently there, after a big slowdown for other activities. I went from a 2.3 to a 8.6 in like 4 months. 
So I started playing more lately, went back to basics, and in the last few weeks have put down a few low rounds. 
even if you lay off for a year, that’s cool. Don’t make it a life or death test, as it seems, for me anyways, that when I let go of worrying about it, I started shooting better. And I didn’t get as twisted about poorly hit shots. It will all work out mate…

• Like 5

:callaway-small: MavriK Sub Zero 9* on EvenFlow RipTide 6.0 50g

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:cobra-small: F8 5/6 wood on Aldila NxT GEN MLT R

:Hogan: Combo iron set -8,9,per Icon 5,6,7 PtxPro 4-UiHi on Recoil 780 ES f4 Stiff shafts (best clubs ever)

:benhogan-small: Equalizer 50°, 54°, 60° wedges on Recoil 780 f4

:EVNROLL: ER3 34”

:titelist-small: ProV1x

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 shoes

Today really pointed out some issues that I need to work on.  I had 2 shanks, one from 60 yards and one from 93, both the primary cause of double bogeys.  Another double from a flubbed chip and a 3 putt.  Otherwise, my ball striking was pretty solid through 16 holes.  An errant tee shot on 17 led to another double and a poor drive on 18 kept me from reaching the green in regulation.  I didn't have an awful day putting, but it certainly wasn't up to my usual performance for whatever reason....Carded an 84.

So, for the most part, my work with a coach has me hitting the ball better (save the errant shots here and there), but it's time to turn our attention to shorter shots (although, much of my issues here is confidence and nerves...when I practice short chips/pitches, I do fairly well, but on course, it's another matter completely)

• Like 7

Driver: :ping-small: G400 Max 9 degree set to +1, Aldila Extreme Green 55 gram R shaft 

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M4 3W (16.5*) 5W (21*) 7W (24*) -- stock R shafts.

Irons: :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW KBSTour Graphite  70g shafts R

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX2 52,56, 60 degree wedges

Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7S

Ball: :Snell: MTB-X

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug