How'd you play?

MmmmmmBuddy

1 hour ago, MrBandit said:

For me I only hit about 10-15 balls just to get feel for my swing, not trying to wear myself or fix anything out before even starting.
Then just chip and putt until is time to tee off.  

36 minutes ago, Shapotomous said:

Same strategy here...I m pretty sure I only have so many swings in me per day and I don't want to run out at the end of a round by hitting too many range balls prior to playing.  Just enough to get loose and hear some bone pops then practice the first tee shot to see the flight pattern i need to play.

Yup, that's my strategy, too. 4 balls with wedge, 4 with a mid iron, 4 with my 4 hybrid (three of the first four holes are hybrids from the tee) and 4 with driver. Gives me an idea of what flight I'm going to see and also gets me just loose enough, usually. Today was just rough all around.

• Like 6

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 8.5 / Anti-Cap: 14.4 (Last Updated Sept. 19, 2021)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Epic Max LS (9°), 45.75", Dumina AutoFlex SF505X | Unofficial AutoFlex Review
17° Hybrid:
callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Super Hybrid, 41.5", Mitsubishi MMT Hybrid 80 TX
18.5° Driving Iron: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2016 Model), 39.5", Mitsubishi MMT Utility 105 TX
21° Hybrid:
callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Epic Flash, 40", Mitsubishi MMT Hybrid 80 TX
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", UST Mamiya Recoil 110 F5
5-AW:  
Sub70_Logo_WhtBlk.jpg.aee386374adf9afd31a02b989c839f9d.jpg Sub70 699 (5-6)/699 Pro (7-AW) Combo Set, 1° Flat, 37" 7 Iron, Mitsubishi MMT Taper 105 TX | Build Thread
54°, 58°:
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING MIM Black, 1° Flat, 35.5", 35.25", Mitsubishi MMT Wedge 105 TX | #CobraConnect Review
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
lamkin.png.5081890e009ae78e16066ee0fd18b7c0.png Lamkin Sonar Tour
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: :Arccos: Arccos | #CobraConnect Review
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: :CaddyTek: CaddyTek Caddylite EZ V8 | Unofficial Review

WITB? | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

49/58 for an abysmal 107. The heat and humidity got to me, the back was pretty much all doubles save for one single bogey. Turned my only birdie look into a bogey thanks to a poor read on a downhill putt. Driver started out semi-OK, then a nasty case of the duck hooks showed up before I straightened things out the last few holes. 

Lost 3 balls due to hitting it too far on a few holes, which is a first for me. One was a layup hole in front of a large water hazard, same club I always hit to the same spot went into the water a good 20 yards further than normal. Nuked a wedge over a green into the brush, and hit an 8i farther than I ever have, which also ended up in the drink. 

The predicted rain never showed up and we were just soaked thanks to the humid conditions here in MA. But hey - I wasn't in the office and I was out on the course with my son and my brother who's in town from AR, so it was all good.

• Like 9

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:wilson_staff_small:  D7 
:callaway-small:  GBB 3W (lofted to 4W)
:callaway-small: V-Series Heavenwood
:cobra-small: Baffler XL 5i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54*
:ping-small: iWedge 58*
:cleveland-small: #10
Whatever ball I have 3 dozen of that my kids got me as a gift

Twitter: @russtopherb

Tbh I played crap. 

BUT my mate had the round of his life and shot his best ever by 5 and honestly that probably felt better than a good round for myself. Was great to see. 

• Like 9

"C'mon be good"

8 hours ago, edingc said:

Yeah, what grinds me about them is the way they happened.

Exactly....it's one thing to take a penalty and get a double.  It's quite another to make a mindless double that should have been avoided.

• Like 7

Driver: :ping-small: G400 Max 9 degree set to +1, Aldila Extreme Green 55 gram R shaft 

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M4 3W (16.5*) 5W (21*) 7W (24*) -- stock R shafts.

Irons: :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW KBSTour Graphite  70g shafts R

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX2 52,56, 60 degree wedges

Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7S

Ball: :Snell: MTB-X

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

16 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

With the heat this week, it felt like COVID-19 lockdown all over again.  We woke up to cloud cover this morning and mild-ish temperatures.  My wife wanted to get out of the house play so we headed to the course.  

I have been doing my PlaneMate protocols every morning, and I had already done that (140 balls) so I was warmed up.  I changed out my Bridgestone irons for my Mizuno MP20 HMB set that I have been using in the protocols.  They are starting to feel comfortable... finally.  

I played from the senior tees in order to give me more opportunities to hit irons instead of hybrids and wedges.  Shot 44/35 = 79 with two doubles on the front nine.  

I started figuring out which club to hit for the yardage and had two bogeys and two birdies for an EVEN par back nine.  As an example...  my Bridgestone 8i loft is 29º; my Mizuno 8i loft is 36º.  I generally picked 1 or 2 clubs more depending on which way the breeze was blowing.  I think I'm going to love this irons if I keep hitting them the way I did today.  A well-struck ball feels soooooo gooooood!!

Great round! So cool to see some early success with the different irons. 

• Like 4

#COBRACONNECT CHALLENGE 4 ALUMNUS

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6x | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8s | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85s

:cobra-small: KING Forged Tec 5-GW - Nippon Modus 120x | :cobra-small: KING MIM Black 52.12C, 56.10V, 60.04W - Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope

13 minutes ago, ncwoz said:

PERSONAL RECORD!!!!

After the first time since early spring that I didn't hit a golf ball in over a week, I really wasn't sure what to expect. But league tonight was as good a reason as any to get out - little did I know what I was in for!!

35 (!!!!! EVEN PAR !!!!!, net -5)

FIR: 4/6

GIR: 6/9

Putts: 30 (3 1-putts, 6 2-putts)

First hole started innocently enough - although I did 2 putt from a tricky ~50ft uphill then downhill first putt.

Second hole is a downhill par 3, pin in the front at 152 yards. I hit a full PW and watched it fade back towards the hole...landed pin high and stuck about 2.5 feet from the pin for an easy bird.

IMG_20210701_162944918.jpg.ce72cf3b3cc7af60d5d24eebd8c7e6f8.jpg

The next hole, another par 3, I hit the green and left a 15ft putt right in the jaws for a tap in par.

On the 5th hole, I had a bit of a swinger from 13ft for bird - left this one short as well, and the line was probably 50/50 if it would have caught the hole with more speed. Another tap in par.

The par 5 6th I hit a bomb of a drive, dead center fairway 316yds out. Left me with 184 to a back pin, with my stance kind of below the ball in a low spot in the fairway. Hit maybe my shot of the day, a towering 7 iron fade that stuck almost exactly pin high and held on to the top tier of a severe green, about 20 feet away. Left the eagle putt about 6 inches short, right on line. Tap in birdie!

Par 4 15th is a nemesis hole for me. I leaked my 3 iron right into some trees, and tried to punch a low shot through a wide but short window I had. Hit a tree and got a very lucky break and it bounced right out to the fairway. Hit a tidy little 100yd wedge to about 20 feet, 2 putted for the first bogey of the day.

Par 4 16th I hit a really nice 4 iron to the right side of the fairway. Downhill lie and wasn't sure what the wind was doing -  on the previous hole it was dead into and this hole is in the same direction. Except the flag was saying it was all right to left, barely any hurt. I wasn't really confident in the shot, and ended up pulling it left of the green to a bunker that actually sits a good 3-4 feet above the green. I was in the back of the bunker with a downhill lie with almost no green to work with, and left the first shot in the bunker. Left a more even stance, and I missed holing it out to save par by about 2 inches. Tap in bogey to get me back to even.

At this point, I'm definitely thinking about how I'm even par, but trying really hard not to let it affect my game. Not sure how successful I was 😂 My heart was definitely racing much more than it typically does!

The 17th is 125 yard par 3, but the wind is always tricky. I thought there was more help than there was, and left it on the front fringe to a back pin. Chipped past the hole for a knee knocking 7 footer...dead center of the cup!

On the 18th I snagged my 2 hybrid and let it rip before thinking too much about it - hit a gorgeous fade to the right center of the fairway, leaving me with 105yds to a front pin. I hit an abbreviated SW (typically 115 club), expecting it to get to the 105 number pretty reliably, and somehow launched it 125 yards. Adrenaline much? So I was left with a snaking 60 foot putt that I needed to get down in 2 to stay at even par for the first time ever. Hit the speed great, but left myself 4 or 5 feet to get the par. And let me tell you, that hole had a heck of a catch 😉 

Soo pumped up!! I've never hit the ball for an entire 9 holes as well as I did tonight. The pulled wedge was really the only not great shot I had, then a couple decent ones and a lot of really good ones. I was rolling my putts on line super well, and lagged it great. I could probably do the woulda coulda shoulda game with some of the putts I left short, but I'm honestly way too pumped to let that sour my night!

Congrats on a personal best!

• Like 5

Driver:  :honma:TR20 460, Vizard 60g Stiff

FW:  :tour-edge: CBX 119 3w, 15,  Project X Evenflow Blue 65g Stiff

Hybrids: :taylormade-small: SIM DHY 3 & 4H, Diamana Limited Hybrid 75g Stiff

Iron: :mizuno-small:JPX 919 Forged 5-GW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM8 54 S Grind, 60 M Grind

Putter: :EVNROLL:ER7B 

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1X

Tested the Honma TR20 460 driver

7 hours ago, ncwoz said:

PERSONAL RECORD!!!!

After the first time since early spring that I didn't hit a golf ball in over a week, I really wasn't sure what to expect. But league tonight was as good a reason as any to get out - little did I know what I was in for!!

First hole started innocently enough - although I did 2 putt from a tricky ~50ft uphill then downhill first putt.

Second hole is a downhill par 3, pin in the front at 152 yards. I hit a full PW and watched it fade back towards the hole...landed pin high and stuck about 2.5 feet from the pin for an easy bird.

The next hole, another par 3, I hit the green and left a 15ft putt right in the jaws for a tap in par.

On the 5th hole, I had a bit of a swinger from 13ft for bird - left this one short as well, and the line was probably 50/50 if it would have caught the hole with more speed. Another tap in par.

The par 5 6th I hit a bomb of a drive, dead center fairway 316yds out. Left me with 184 to a back pin, with my stance kind of below the ball in a low spot in the fairway. Hit maybe my shot of the day, a towering 7 iron fade that stuck almost exactly pin high and held on to the top tier of a severe green, about 20 feet away. Left the eagle putt about 6 inches short, right on line. Tap in birdie!

Par 4 15th is a nemesis hole for me. I leaked my 3 iron right into some trees, and tried to punch a low shot through a wide but short window I had. Hit a tree and got a very lucky break and it bounced right out to the fairway. Hit a tidy little 100yd wedge to about 20 feet, 2 putted for the first bogey of the day.

Par 4 16th I hit a really nice 4 iron to the right side of the fairway. Downhill lie and wasn't sure what the wind was doing -  on the previous hole it was dead into and this hole is in the same direction. Except the flag was saying it was all right to left, barely any hurt. I wasn't really confident in the shot, and ended up pulling it left of the green to a bunker that actually sits a good 3-4 feet above the green. I was in the back of the bunker with a downhill lie with almost no green to work with, and left the first shot in the bunker. Left a more even stance, and I missed holing it out to save par by about 2 inches. Tap in bogey to get me back to even.

At this point, I'm definitely thinking about how I'm even par, but trying really hard not to let it affect my game. Not sure how successful I was 😂 My heart was definitely racing much more than it typically does!

The 17th is 125 yard par 3, but the wind is always tricky. I thought there was more help than there was, and left it on the front fringe to a back pin. Chipped past the hole for a knee knocking 7 footer...dead center of the cup!

On the 18th I snagged my 2 hybrid and let it rip before thinking too much about it - hit a gorgeous fade to the right center of the fairway, leaving me with 105yds to a front pin. I hit an abbreviated SW (typically 115 club), expecting it to get to the 105 number pretty reliably, and somehow launched it 125 yards. Adrenaline much? So I was left with a snaking 60 foot putt that I needed to get down in 2 to stay at even par for the first time ever. Hit the speed great, but left myself 4 or 5 feet to get the par. And let me tell you, that hole had a heck of a catch 😉 

Soo pumped up!! I've never hit the ball for an entire 9 holes as well as I did tonight. The pulled wedge was really the only not great shot I had, then a couple decent ones and a lot of really good ones. I was rolling my putts on line super well, and lagged it great. I could probably do the woulda coulda shoulda game with some of the putts I left short, but I'm honestly way too pumped to let that sour my night!

Great round. Love when it all comes together and you hold it together even with some nerves. Keep it up.

• Like 5

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g 6.5 (2021 Official Review) | :taylormade-small: '07 Burner 15° Reax 50 Stiff 

:titelist-small: 816 H1 18° Fujikura Speeder HB 8.8 Stiff | :titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Diamana S+ Blue 70 Stiff

:ping-small:  I500 5 - UW Red Dot Dynamic Gold S300 | :Hogan: Equalizer 52° / 56° KBS Tour V 110 Stiff

:cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0 | :ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Left Dash Pro V1x| Right Handed 

@ncwoz  Great round!  Being in a league myself and knowing how some handicaps go.....how many points did you get even with being -5 net?  😁  I have been -4 net and only split the points.  In that round I had a birdie and lost the hole!   😬

I had good luck in this weeks league, but I missed my personal best even though I was sitting 45 yards out in 2 on a par 5 on the last hole and with a birdie I would have got it.....and yes I was aware of the stakes.  I had 2 birds and 6 pars up to then.....had saved 3 pars by getting up and down and was putting well, was hitting 1/2 wedges close and thought I could get to a PB of -3 with another good 1/2 wedge.  I mean its the shot I practice in the back yard thousands of times so it should be a layup.....10' birdie putt at the most coming right up.....RIIIIIIGHT!

I proceeded to look up at some point in my downswing to see how close the ball would land from the pin and hit a hosel rocket shot 90* from my target!  Being very mad at myself and a little shook up from the dreaded S-Word showing up I didn't get the next shot close to the pin at all and 2 putted for bogey.  Even with being -1 gross overall I was not even a little bit happy with myself because of choking so badly on that last hole.   😠

Maybe next time.......😞

• Like 9

Modern Bag:  Ping G410+ 9*, Accra TourZ X265 M5;  Snake Eyes 15*, 18* & 23* Hybrids; Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Cleveland Tour Action 49*, 53*, 57*; PX LZ 6.5 ;  Ping Heppler Fetch;  Ball - Snell MTB-X; Bag - Sun Mountain H2NO 

Classic Bag:  Driver - Wilson Staff Persimmon; 3w - Hogan Speed Slot; 5w - Wilson Staff Tour Block; 3 - pw - Staff Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

Congratulations@ncwoz!  Love the part about the score creeping into your head and talking to yourself about it.  I was one under through 8 at Coyote Wash during the 2019 winter season and had the same personal conversation at #9 tee... and promptly parked the drive in the shrubs 😡😂.  That would have been my first under par 9.  The race is on to see which of us gets that one checked off first 👍.

• Like 5

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

13 hours ago, Kenny B said:

I think I'm going to love these irons if I keep hitting them the way I did today.  A well-struck ball feels soooooo gooooood!!

Uhh-ooo, looks like another one joining the "buttah love fest".  You'll still hang with Chris and I though... right? 🙂

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 4

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

44 minutes ago, Shapotomous said:

@ncwoz  Great round!  Being in a league myself and knowing how some handicaps go.....how many points did you get even with being -5 net?  😁  I have been -4 net and only split the points.  In that round I had a birdie and lost the hole!   😬

I had good luck in this weeks league, but I missed my personal best even though I was sitting 45 yards out in 2 on a par 5 on the last hole and with a birdie I would have got it.....and yes I was aware of the stakes.  I had 2 birds and 6 pars up to then.....had saved 3 pars by getting up and down and was putting well, was hitting 1/2 wedges close and thought I could get to a PB of -3 with another good 1/2 wedge.  I mean its the shot I practice in the back yard thousands of times so it should be a layup.....10' birdie putt at the most coming right up.....RIIIIIIGHT!

I proceeded to look up at some point in my downswing to see how close the ball would land from the pin and hit a hosel rocket shot 90* from my target!  Being very mad at myself and a little shook up from the dreaded S-Word showing up I didn't get the next shot close to the pin at all and 2 putted for bogey.  Even with being -1 gross overall I was not even a little bit happy with myself because of choking so badly on that last hole.   😠

Maybe next time.......😞

We actually do a Stableford for our league, and even though my total points for the round would have been tied for second most up to this week, another guy with a little higher handicap had an awesome week and squeaked out a couple more points than me. I'm still not complaining tho 🙂

• Like 8

Right Handed

Driver (9°): :cobra-small: Speedzone (HZRDUS Smoke Green 70g X-Stiff shaft)

2 Hybrid (18°): :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

3/Driving Iron (18°): :Hogan: UiHi Iron (KBS Tour V 110g shaft)

Irons (4-PW)  post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS-1's (KBS $-Taper 120g Stiff shafts)

Wedges (50°, 54° & 58°) post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TSW Forged (Dynamic Gold S300)

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B (2019 MGS Official Review here)

Ball: :Snell: MTB-Black OR MAXFLI Tour OR TP5X

12 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Congratulations@ncwoz!  Love the part about the score creeping into your head and talking to yourself about it.  I was one under through 8 at Coyote Wash during the 2019 winter season and had the same personal conversation at #9 tee... and promptly parked the drive in the shrubs 😡😂.  That would have been my first under par 9.  The race is on to see which of us gets that one checked off first 👍.

Oh, it's on!!

On the last hole one of the other golfers was kinda small talking to me before I teed it up. Sometimes that can throw me off a bit, but I think it helped me keep my mind off the stakes this time around haha

• Like 6

Right Handed

Driver (9°): :cobra-small: Speedzone (HZRDUS Smoke Green 70g X-Stiff shaft)

2 Hybrid (18°): :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

3/Driving Iron (18°): :Hogan: UiHi Iron (KBS Tour V 110g shaft)

Irons (4-PW)  post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS-1's (KBS $-Taper 120g Stiff shafts)

Wedges (50°, 54° & 58°) post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TSW Forged (Dynamic Gold S300)

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B (2019 MGS Official Review here)

Ball: :Snell: MTB-Black OR MAXFLI Tour OR TP5X

12 hours ago, ncwoz said:

PERSONAL RECORD!!!!

Congratulations 👍

• Like 4

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Titleist TSi2, Kuro Kage 50 gr R2

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous Vista Pro R2

Irons; Ping G710 6-GW, Recoil 460 R2

Putter; Waaay too many to list

13 hours ago, ncwoz said:

PERSONAL RECORD!!!!

Great round!!  It's days like that when you don't want to quit playing.

• Like 4

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

9 minutes ago, rbsiedsc said:

personal record, will update my breaking 100 thread later with details

47/50 : 97!!

Nice job!!  You get the short game working, and you will be breaking 90 real soon!

• Like 4

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”