Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

How'd you play?

MmmmmmBuddy

7 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Got a round in this morning. I wasn’t sure what to expect as the weather hasn’t been cooperating lately.  Once I made par on the second hole I knew it was going to be a good day. That hole has been a bugger for me. 150 yard par 3 with a trap across the front and back but the green is only 10 yards deep. 

Cruising around making pars and a bogey until I get to #8 Hit a so so drive on a par 5 but followed up with a fantastic 5 hybrid to 3 feet. Made the eagle. Out at -1.

Then the back 9. I caught up to someone on 10 and he waited to let me play through. Pulled my approach slightly left and found the greenside bunker. The pin was across the green but I managed to hit a good bunker shot to within 4 feet just on the fringe. Made the putt for par and off I went.
Salvaged a bunch of pars by some good chipping and 1 putts a bogey snuck its way in followed by a birdie and walked off 18 at one under. 
My only negative take away was I tweaked my left wrist in another bunker that was all hard pan. Hopefully it’s fine by tomorrow. Thinking on getting another morning round in. This time wear shorts. It got up to 72* today. Gets hot walking at that temperature.

Sounds like a great round and that it was a beautiful day to be in the course. I hope your wrist is feeling better by tomorrow and you play well again. 

I got out yesterday morning for a quick 9 holes.  It was windy but was primarily a cross wind.  I am happy with my progress with the driver and am finding a lot more fairways and a better flight.  I ended up shooting a 1 over for the 9 holes and had some good looks at birdie.  

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

3 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Really not a great day to golf but my friends wanted to play since it will be the last time I can play for a while.

low 50s, overcast, chilly, and really wet from rains that stopped shortly before we started.   

10 FW, 8 GIR, 35 Putts  41:43/84

The round started off well as I got par the first 5 holes.  Then I struggled off the tee a little; hit a few snap hooks, and it put me in some bad spots.   I actually felt like I hit the ball pretty well but just didn't score well.    Putting was mediocre.

I'm glad you were able to get out and play today Chris! I hate the fact it's going to be your last round for a while, but I'm hoping you'll be able to get out with us at Kingsmill. 

6 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Really not a great day to golf but my friends wanted to play since it will be the last time I can play for a while.

low 50s, overcast, chilly, and really wet from rains that stopped shortly before we started.   

10 FW, 8 GIR, 35 Putts  41:43/84

The round started off well as I got par the first 5 holes.  Then I struggled off the tee a little; hit a few snap hooks, and it put me in some bad spots.   I actually felt like I hit the ball pretty well but just didn't score well.    Putting was mediocre.

not bad for winter golf... why won't you be able to play for a while?

committed to performance excellence

Played this afternoon with my normal group and started out great.  Front 9, had 2 birdies and 2 bogies.  Back started getting tight about hole 12 and it was downhill from there.  Was 1 over going into my least favorite hole 15 and had a double.  Pulled a drive and then took 3 more shots to get to the green.  The last 3 holes went fine but was struggling to hit the ball.  

Time to let the back rest and get stretched out.  

Well.... me and the dog sat down with a few pours of bourbon today (just before the NFL playoff games) and watched the golf channel between commercials for the game/s. We played good...lol. It was the lowest score I shot for the new year, seeing as how it rained the entire day. Yes... I might be the slightest bit 'tipsy' at the moment, but....... just a bit of levity since the hated Chiefs won the AFC and I won't be playing golf until March at the earliest. 😁

30 degrees out and I went out and hit a bucket with the new irons and absolutely smoked them good thing there was snow cuz they were on fire! My driver still slice to high heaven but 3 wood pure and wedges feel great

#GoBallsOutAlways #GoRickieGo

Driver:      :Sub70:849 Pro-:projectx:HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 70 6.0-NO1 50 Series Grip
Fairway:   :Sub70:949X-:projectx:HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 70 6.0 (1/2 inch short)-NO1 50 Series Grip
Driving Irons:     :Sub70:699 Pro 2-:truetemper: DG S400- NO1 50 Series Grips

Irons:     Custom:Sub70: 639 CB 5-Pw :truetemper: DG S400- NO1 50 Series Grips   
Wedges:   WedgeFx 52,56,60-:truetemper: DG S400Shafts-NO1 50 Series Grips 
Putter:      :Sub70: Sycamore 007-NO1 P90 Pistol Grip
Ball:           :odin:X1

Bag:     Side Street- Back9 Backpack Bag

Link to my Bag Boy ZTF Review!

3 hours ago, cnosil said:

Cant play for a while because  I am having surgery on Wed. The doctor said it will be about 3 months before I will be back to normal activity.   I am hoping I can start short game stuff in a few weeks.   

Really hope the procedure goes really well and gets you the "fix" you've been searching for 🤞🤞🤞 ... and that you're back in action right quick!!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Played another 18 on the sim again yesterday.

Wade Hampton in SC. Shot a 90 because of some bad shots but I'll take it because I'm swinging and not sitting on the couch.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

I got out for my first round of the year this weekend!! Home track was tough with dormant grainy bermuda all over. I had a pretty rough day dealing with it in my short game. Ended up at 80 due to an Eagle on 18! A lot of room for improvement lol. Anyone have tips for conquering the tight grainy lies?? 

Driver:   Srixon ZX7 w/GD Tour VR X 60g w/ Midsize ZCord

5W: TM Rocketballz RBZ with kai'li White X 60g w/ White VTC Cords

3-6 : PING iBlades DG X100 w/ White VTC Cords

7-PW: PING Blueprints DG X100 w/ White VTC Cords 

Wedges: TM MG3 52, 56, 58 DG S300 w/ White VTC Cords

Putter: Scotty Cameron Del-Mar 35" w/ Dancing Scotty Golf Pride Grip

33 minutes ago, CorporateGolfRat said:

I got out for my first round of the year this weekend!! Home track was tough with dormant grainy bermuda all over. I had a pretty rough day dealing with it in my short game. Ended up at 80 due to an Eagle on 18! A lot of room for improvement lol. Anyone have tips for conquering the tight grainy lies?? 

Welcome to the site!  Congrats on the eagle! Always a nice feeling! I've found that if I'm having issues chipping from junk lies,  I'll move to a bump n run or a floppy flop shot, depending on where the pin is

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

8 hours ago, CorporateGolfRat said:

Anyone have tips for conquering the tight grainy lies?? 

@CorporateGolfRat first off, welcome to the forum and glad to hear your first round of the year has occurred. I hope you'll find the forum to be all that you want it to be. Only advice I have is hope "green up " comes soon.

D- Ping G 400 SFT

16*- Adams Tight Lie

19*- Adams Tight Lie

4H- Ping G 400

5-U- Ping G 400

SW- Nike

56*- Ping Glide 2

P- Sub70 004 Mallet

5 hours ago, EnderinAZ said:

Had a pretty good round today.  One double on the front and one on the back mostly because of viciously placed flags. All my work on the pitching/chipping practice area is paying off.  On 9 a long 184 yard par 3 (today) in the middle of my downswing I got a text message. For most people a quiet little blues riff for a message tone is nothing to worry about. Me, however I have my phone pumped straight into my hearing aids. So the darn thing went off, startled the crap out of me, and I hit more of the big ball holding my tee than the little ball sitting on the tee.  A 45 yard bump and run pitch then a 2 foot putt later I walked off with a nice par. I hit one over a lake in 2 where it hit, rolled back off the green...

and into the lake. An excellent little pop and stop chip checks up, rolls forward toward the hole, the ball gently kisses the stick, then finds the bottom of the cup.  Ran two games today. 4 man team best 2 out of four net and our team was three strokes out of the money at -20. The second was a blind draw 2 man team us both net scores. This one worked out better. My partner and I ended up 4 strokes better than anyone else and put a few dollars back in my pocket.

Was a perfect day. 78 degrees, nice sun, not much wind, and the course is in very nice condition. 

Looking down #8 from the white tees

20240129_154042.jpg

Nice Round!

23 hours ago, CorporateGolfRat said:

Move North  🤣

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

On 1/29/2024 at 10:19 AM, Shifty said:

I would recommend Mid South Club for a round

I was at the 2023 MGS Outing at Southern Pines - first course we played, and most peoples' favorite, was Mid South.

Beautiful course, great layout, nice variation of holes!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Well, not as good as yesterday, I had a dreadful stretch of 5 holes  that murdered a good day… meh…

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

Got in 18 today, solo round, 65⁰ out.

there was a foursome that pulled in behind me just as i stepped to the tee box. Music playing, beer flowing. They were in no hurry. I introduced myself, let them know I would move fast off the hole.

One guy hands me a beer, said they were only there to get away from the wives, and invited me to play.  I did the honorable  thing, took a small sip, put it in my cart, then immediately sliced the drive off the tee. Simultaneously they yelled "breakfast ball". I took my provisional and moved on down the fairway. By the time I was teeing off the second hole, they were still in the fairway on 1.

Had a good round (for me) shot 47 on the front (lost 2 balls) shot 45 on the back.

5 -1putts, 12- 2putts, 1-3putt. Best drive of the day, par 5 470 yards, dogleg right behind trees. Played my slice perfectly (not on purpose though) and ended up around the trees with 239 yards left. Laced a low 3hy that rolled probably 25 yards after coming down, put me 20 yards from the green. Chipped and rolled out 15 feet past the hole.  1 putted for birdie.

Noone in front of me for 3 holes either, and I never saw the group behind me again.

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

53 minutes ago, Rob Person said:

Got in 18 today, solo round, 65⁰ out.

there was a foursome that pulled in behind me just as i stepped to the tee box. Music playing, beer flowing. They were in no hurry. I introduced myself, let them know I would move fast off the hole.

One guy hands me a beer, said they were only there to get away from the wives, and invited me to play.  I did the honorable  thing, took a small sip, put it in my cart, then immediately sliced the drive off the tee. Simultaneously they yelled "breakfast ball". I took my provisional and moved on down the fairway. By the time I was teeing off the second hole, they were still in the fairway on 1.

Had a good round (for me) shot 47 on the front (lost 2 balls) shot 45 on the back.

5 -1putts, 12- 2putts, 1-3putt. Best drive of the day, par 5 470 yards, dogleg right behind trees. Played my slice perfectly (not on purpose though) and ended up around the trees with 239 yards left. Laced a low 3hy that rolled probably 25 yards after coming down, put me 20 yards from the green. Chipped and rolled out 15 feet past the hole.  1 putted for birdie.

Noone in front of me for 3 holes either, and I never saw the group behind me again.

Sounds like you pretty much had the course to yourself after the first tee. I love those rounds. 

:titleist-small: TSi3 10° w/ Mitsubishi Tensei 1K Black 65g

:titleist-small: TS2 15° 3W w/ Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 70g

:titleist-small: 818 H1 21° Hybrid w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 70g

:mizuno-small: MP-18 MMC 2 iron w/ KBS Tour C-Taper S 120g

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 HM 5-GW w/ Project X LZ 5.5 115g

:Sub70: JB Forged 54° & 58° w/ Project X LZ 6.0 120g

:EVNROLL: EV5.3 Black

18 minutes ago, ParFore74x said:

Sounds like you pretty much had the course to yourself after the first tee. I love those rounds. 

Me too!  No pressure, no gawkers , just me,.myself, and I 

Back at the sim tonight to practice, and play a round. Played Franklin Hills CC from the White Tees (Par 71, 6003yds, 69.3/122) with slight breeze, medium firm fairways, soft greens, and medium pins. Haven't been getting a long with my driver, and nothing felt different warming up so I made an executive decision to shelve it for the round.

Put together a really great round for me 79 (38 out, 41 in), 7 strokes better than my previous best on this course. Pretty pumped with the result, but not sure I can replicate the 28 auto-putts 😆 doing a better job greenside with my PW to get the ball close but that's still pretty hot putting. Add another 8 putts, and call it 87 and I'm still pretty happy with it! 

Split teeing off duty between 3 wood and 3 utility. Feeling pretty comfortable with both, and the miss on either is way less damaging than driver. Biggest miss off the tee-box today was okay distance but about 20-30 yds right of my fairway, almost in the adjacent fairway, but ended up turning that into my only birdie of the round.

Have my first tee time of 2024 scheduled for Sunday at a pretty similar course (Par 71, 5986yds, 68.8/123) and I'm going to try the same approach, might need to leave driver at home so I stick to the plan.

Edited by BallsLeon
  • Driver : :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS, 10.5° loft, MCA TENSEI AV White 65g, Stiff flex (44.5", Draw setting)
  • 3-Wood: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS, 15° loft, MCA TENSEI AV Blue 65g, Reg flex (42.25", tipped 0.5")
  • 3-Utility: :Sub70: 699 Pro V2 Utility Satin, 18° loft, :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 80g, 5.5 flex
  • Irons: :titleist-small: T200 6i-GW, 27°-48° lofts, Nippon Modus3 120g, Stiff flex (+0.25”, 1° upright)
  • Wedges:  Indi FLX S-Grind, 52°/56°/60° lofts, Dynamic Gold Spinner 115g, Wedge flex
  • Putter:cobra-small: King Vintage Sport 60, SteelFiber P125 shaft (34"), :garsen: Quad Tour Taper grip
  • Bag: :cobra-small: Ultralight Pro, Ski Patrol/Black
  • Push Cart: :BagBoy: Nitron, Black/Red
  • Rangefinder: Bushnell Tour V5 Shift

2023 MGS Forum Review: Sugar Golf Balls (Final Review Posted)
2023 MGS Forum Review: Sycamore 009 Mini Putter (Final Review Posted)

-TJ