How'd you play?

MmmmmmBuddy

5 minutes ago, jlukes said:

Got to play an absolute gem today - Gulph Mills near King of Prussia, PA

I shot a +5 76 that included 3 birdies and a double

Because this was such an incredible course to get an invite to play I decided I’d take all of my regular gamers and I am really glad I did. I drove the ball so damn well today, hit my irons fantastic and putted out of my mind on some of the hardest greens I’ve ever played on. 

The round showed me the importance of fit golf clubs for me and gave me some great perspective on the clubs I am reviewing as part of the Cobra Connect Challenge. It reassured me that my swing wasn’t causing the issues I’ve been having with the new equipment so that was very reassuring. 

My caddie commented to me that he’s never seen someone play this course for the first time and putt so well. My love of my custom ER1v continues to grow. 

My Ping G410Lst driver reminded me why I love it so much. I was on near autopilot off the tee and the miss is a gentle fade. With the Radspeed the miss is more of a hook. 

My using my Mizuno irons for the first time in over a month were like putting on an old pair of comfy shoes. The Oban shafts just fit my swing so well and it felt good to get back to hitting consistent iron shots. 

I still really need to work on my Wedges and short approach shots. I continue to throw away birdie opportunities by wasting fantastic drives and then missing the green from 100 yards or less. 

Overall really happy with how I played on a tough course 

949A89B1-1CA3-450B-8D25-50C68C67F0B9.jpeg

B23C9E10-E336-4BAF-B0FD-E251D3867D42.jpeg

09FDB7AE-6858-485E-A51F-A55F77302177.jpeg

A100E7B0-4FF8-4144-B810-C30006EC5E57.jpeg

Great playing, and I'm glad that you made the equipment choice that let you shoot that score and have fun while doing it.

• Like 2

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:wilson_staff_small:  D7 
:callaway-small:  GBB 3W (lofted to 4W)
:callaway-small: V-Series Heavenwood
:cobra-small: Baffler XL 5i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54*
:ping-small: iWedge 58*
:cleveland-small: #10
Whatever ball I have 3 dozen of that my kids got me as a gift

Twitter: @russtopherb

20 hours ago, jlukes said:

Got to play an absolute gem today - Gulph Mills near King of Prussia, PA

I shot a +5 76 that included 3 birdies and a double

Because this was such an incredible course to get an invite to play I decided I’d take all of my regular gamers and I am really glad I did. I drove the ball so damn well today, hit my irons fantastic and putted out of my mind on some of the hardest greens I’ve ever played on. 

The round showed me the importance of fit golf clubs for me and gave me some great perspective on the clubs I am reviewing as part of the Cobra Connect Challenge. It reassured me that my swing wasn’t causing the issues I’ve been having with the new equipment so that was very reassuring. 

My caddie commented to me that he’s never seen someone play this course for the first time and putt so well. My love of my custom ER1v continues to grow. 

My Ping G410Lst driver reminded me why I love it so much. I was on near autopilot off the tee and the miss is a gentle fade. With the Radspeed the miss is more of a hook. 

My using my Mizuno irons for the first time in over a month were like putting on an old pair of comfy shoes. The Oban shafts just fit my swing so well and it felt good to get back to hitting consistent iron shots. 

I still really need to work on my Wedges and short approach shots. I continue to throw away birdie opportunities by wasting fantastic drives and then missing the green from 100 yards or less. 

Overall really happy with how I played on a tough course 

949A89B1-1CA3-450B-8D25-50C68C67F0B9.jpeg

B23C9E10-E336-4BAF-B0FD-E251D3867D42.jpeg

09FDB7AE-6858-485E-A51F-A55F77302177.jpeg

A100E7B0-4FF8-4144-B810-C30006EC5E57.jpeg

Beautiful track.. yum

• Like 1

:callaway-small: MavriK Sub Zero 9* on EvenFlow RipTide 6.0 50g

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:cobra-small: F8 5/6 wood on Aldila NxT GEN MLT R

:Hogan: Combo iron set -8,9,per Icon 5,6,7 PtxPro 4-UiHi on Recoil 780 ES f4 Stiff shafts (best clubs ever)

:benhogan-small: Equalizer 50°, 54°, 60° wedges on Recoil 780 f4

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 shoes

Didn’t play well this morning. Five hours of sleep, and a ridiculously tight back was not a good recipe for enjoyable golf. Frustrating. Time for a 2 hour nap!!!!

• Like 6
  • Sad 3

Driver: :cobra-small: King F9 Speedback/:callaway-small:Epic Max LS, Xphlexxx Busa 2 Liquid, XX stiff, 45”

Fwy:  :callaway-small: Epic Speed 4w, MMT 80X

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 105X

Irons: :honma:TR20 Tour P 4-10, :Nippon: Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

All but putter have Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Calibrate midsize built to oversize +1

A threesome grabbed my normal first time on Sat morning, then proceeded to not let me play through and took over 4 hours to get around. There were multiple groups backed up behind them and the 3ome behind me, accidentally hit into me a few times. My course has about half a dozen tee shots where you can't see the landing zone. Shot 81, 39/42. Couldn't hang on with a couple penalties on the back 9.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1
  • Hmmm 1

Take Dead Aim

3 hours ago, DiscipleofPenick said:

A threesome grabbed my normal first time on Sat morning, then proceeded to not let me play through and took over 4 hours to get around. There were multiple groups backed up behind them and the 3ome behind me, accidentally hit into me a few times. My course has about half a dozen tee shots where you can't see the landing zone. Shot 81, 39/42. Couldn't hang on with a couple penalties on the back 9.

Inexcusable for a 3some to take 4 hours to play 18 holes of golf!

• Like 5

Driver: :ping-small: G400 Max 9 degree set to +1, Aldila Extreme Green 55 gram R shaft 

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M4 3W (16.5*) 5W (21*) 7W (24*) -- stock R shafts.

Irons: :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW KBSTour Graphite  70g shafts R

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX2 52,56, 60 degree wedges

Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7S

Ball: :Snell: MTB-X

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

6 minutes ago, CarlH said:

Especially when they're the first group out for the day. No one in front of them!

• Like 6

Take Dead Aim

27 minutes ago, CarlH said:

while I agree in most cases,  it will also be dependent on the course and distance between holes.   There is a course near me that takes 4 1/2 hours when making good time;  hopefully you don't have to search for any balls in the long rough. 

• Like 3
  • Hmmm 1

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :callaway-small: 54-10S   :cleveland-small: 588  58-12
Putter:  :seemore-small: mFGP2

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180, :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, Bellum Winmore 787

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

85... never got out of the blocks. A disappointment 

• Like 6

:mizuno-small: ST180, 10.5, Kuro Kage Silver TINI Dual Core 60-S 

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero, 15*, Kuro Kage Silver TINI Dual Core 60-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: CBX119 18* Hybrid, Projext X Evenflow Blue, 6.0

:ping-small: G710, 4-UW, Blue Dot, Nippon Modus 105-S

:honma: TW-W4, 56*, Nippon Modus 125

:mizuno-small: T20, 61*, Nippon Modus 125

SIK Golf Flo-C

:titelist-small: Pro V1X, 2021 Model, #33

Made an eagle on short par 5Number 17 Landed 25 feet from pin on my 2ndshot. Usually when my swing is good my putting is lousy. Was the case that day as I tried all sorts of ways to putt.  As I was waiting for my partners to chip on. I decided to squat down to see the putt from level of the butt end of the putter. I don’t normally crotch down   For whatever reason this gave me confident I start to think how the butt end of the putter moved 

This time I square up my left thumb and focus on keeping the butt end “still” and moving the putter head pass the butt end. Think Brand Snedekar   Not normally my style of putting im more forward Press 

anyway rolls pure and my partners say it’s going in and indeed it do go in   Now it was flat no break long putt  not that hard of a putt but wonderful feeling to drain it. 
I’m continue with this style of putting. I made drastic change going from a lefty low hosel 8802 style putter with fat grip to righty S shaped hosel with thin grip 

on the 18 I had a short putt missed using this method    I m okay with long putts with this style but with shorter putts say inside 5 feet I try need to try something different 

on the practice green for the shorty I gain confident when I “wipe” the blade with my left hand this helps clarify which fingers of my right to feel tight on the handle and just putt with right hand only 

• Like 6

I shot a 101 yesterday which is a new PB.  More to the point, though, was the process.  My putting was hit and miss, but I had very few flubbed shots everywhere else.  Mishits and poor aim are acceptable for me; it's the ten foot chunkers that drive me insane.  Drives were more good than bad my irons were decent and for the first time my hybrids were fantastic!  Son and I played with a couple friends who were both willing and eager to give tips so I picked brains as much as I could.  We keep finding new coworkers that play and nearly all of them have been terrific playing partners.  Yesterday was a wonderful round.  Good golf and better friends 🙂

• Like 7

Titleist 385k driver

Dunlop 3 wood

Nickent 3DX 3 hybrid

Cobra AMP 5-PW

Pinemeadow 52° 56° 60° 64° wedges

PIng Anser putter

Haven't posted in a while. Got 4 rounds in the last few weeks. Got to play Wyncote in Chester PA, Chesapeake Bay in Rising Sun MD, and Cherokee Run in Conyers GA 2X.

Started out pretty decent up North. Wyncote (72.7/136) was almost like a links style course which I love, and pretty hilly too. My driver was decent but not great. Played along the left edge out of the tee box most of the time. Most lost balls/penalties were balls that just trickled into the fescue and it was too thick to try to find anything. Went 53/44 for 97 (20.2 diff) with 7 penalties. Caught fire on the back hitting 5/9 GIR. Driver was in play (but still left side) which left me short irons/wedges out.

Next day at Chesapeake Bay (70.8/123) played with a fun group of friends. Course was much flatter and pretty open. So any misses were on another fairway and could easily be played back. Only carded 1 penalty all day going 46/42 (15.8 diff). Again driver distance was playing about 250yds so plenty of short iron/wedges in. 

Week and a half later played outside Atlanta at Cherokee Run (71.7/136). Gorgeous course and VERY hilly and wooded. There pretty much was no flat lie anywhere. Greens were tough, very undulating and fast. Both times, warm ups felt great really smacking some straight shots and nice draws, of course from the perfect flat lie. Get to the course, and the wheels fell off. Almost all the tee boxes were sloping between the tee blocks and upward towards target. So I came to learn I don't get enough practice with these above/below feet lies coupled with up/down slope (especially living in Florida where it's pretty flat). Lots of 3 putts too on the fast hilly greens. So shot a 103 and 104 (25 and 26 diff). Really made me lose what little confidence I had in my swing overall especially with irons. Had 2 good rounds prior where I felt things were starting to click, and then Cherokee hit me with all these crazy lies. 

Biggest takeaway these last 4 rounds, my approach game is really killing me especially when >150 yds. I just feel lost with my irons right now. The mind bees are swarming at address....thinking about the lie, playing the angles properly to not hit fat/thin, too bent or upright at address...  

Going back to Arccos, I love the data but my caddie link misses too many shots. Still find myself making sure all shots are correct while playing and I know this slows me down and annoys my playing partners. So at Cherokee, I decided not going to worry about Arccos and just play. Well, Arccos missed 33 and 34 shots in each of the rounds, respectively. It was sunny out not overcast. All sensor diagnostics are good. Caddie Link is clipped to my front pocket. No way I remember 30+ shots per round to update it after. Working with Arccos support now to try to determine if there is an issue with my caddie link. In diagnostic mode it sometimes initially detects the club but then a second later says no club detected. Might try to use the phone in the pocket next time I play to see if that is any better. It definitely takes away from just playing and enjoying the round when having to mess around with it so much. If the phone isn't any better at picking up shots, I'm really on the verge of trashing Arccos to be able to just focus on playing.  

• Like 7

Bag: Sun Mountain 4.5 14 way

Driver: Ping G400 Max 10.5 deg (set to 9.9 deg/"little minus") Oban Devotion 6 Stiff 65g Grip GP MCC Plus4 Midsize

3W: Ping G410 14.5 deg Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange Stiff 70g Grip GP MCC Plus4 Midsize

Hybrids: 19 deg and 22 deg Ping G410 hybrid Mitsubishi C6 Black Stiff 80g Grip GP MCC Plus4 Midsize

Irons: 5-PW Irons PXG 0211 KBS C Taper Tour 120 Stiff -0.50" Grip GP MCC Plus4 Midsize

Wedges: 50, 54 and 58 deg Callaway MD5 JAWS 10 deg bounce S Grind Grip GP MCC  Plus4 Midsize

Putter:  PXG Gen2 Spitfire Armlock 37.5" SuperStroke Flatso 3.0 17"

Game Ball: Chromesoft X LS / Titleist Left Dot

How’d I do?

In a word, fantastic.

I’d been looking forward to this for a long time—that inevitable game with the brother at our favorite course whenever we’re together. By the time we reached the back nine, temps were well into the 100s° F. But you know, it’s a dry heat, so it’s not considered crazy to golf in sunstroke weather.

A bit of background …

Years ago, I shattered 100 by planting a score of 93 deep into the ground. The only problem was, I injured my back doing it—an overzealous 7-iron to reach the green in two. The games that followed that were back in the low 100s. And then I took a long break. 

Since then, age, sporadic play and lack of time on the range has deteriorated my swing. My brother then took interest in the game, so we’d play a couple games whenever we were together. And since then, my scores crept in the wrong direction. I suppose I updated my clubs to help re-ignite my interest.

And who doesn’t love a new set of clubs? Trouble was, it added more distraction than actually getting me back on track. 

Positive Step Forward

Before our sibling match I finally did what I always wanted to do. I took a lesson. I had someone take look at my swing and tell me what needed fixing. And it worked. I need more lessons, for sure, but he said the one thing I badly needed to hear—that I still had the elements of a decent swing. More accurately, he said, “If you worked on it, you could make to the high 80s.”

For whatever reason it was the kind of motivation I needed to hear.

So last week …

My brother and I played our game on that overheated golf course, and I started to see my old self again. Bogeys and double bogeys for sure, and a couple holes that went completely awry. But I also made a par or two, and I birdied a par 5 hole. I didn’t just birdie it, I landed my third shot from 100 yds out to within four feet of the hole.

In the end, I stayed inbounds and scored a 101. Can’t expect miracles yet and miles to go, but at least now I can see the road ahead, and it’s not as bumpy as it used to be.

• Like 6

DRIVER :ping-small: G410 PLUS 10.5°  TENSEI CK ORANGE 60 S  |  IRONS :mizuno-small: JPX 900 FORGED 5-PW  PROJECT X LZ 5.5

FAIRWAY :ping-small: G410 3/14.5°  PROJECT X EVENFLOW BLACK 85 6.0   WEDGES :cleveland-small: CBX 2 50°, 54°, 58°

HYBRIDS :ping-small: G410 19°, 22°  ALTA CB 70 RED   PUTTER :ping-small: KARSTEN ANSER 33"

BALL :wilson_staff_small: DUO U

BAG :1590477705_SunMountain: FRONT 9 LH  |  PUSHCART :Clicgear: ROVIC RV1S 

My course was closed to open play this weekend. We had member guest going on. So I went and played a local public course. Actually not in to bad condition. But the first 9 holes was played in the fog. The greens were slow as heck. So you really had to go pin hunting. I wound up with a perfect all par round of 70.  I was really hitting the driver long today. Average was around 270. Thats good for me.

So being pleased with my round I headed home. I get out of the car, take my clubs out and a Fed Ex truck pulls up behind me. Delivery of the Maxfli balls for testing showed up. Poor timing having just finished playing. More about the balls in the testing thread later today.

• Like 9

:ping-small: Driver, G400 11* SR Flex

:taylormade-small: 3 Wood, SLDR  HL 17*  R Flex

:taylormade-small: 5 Wood, SLDR 19* R Flex

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, F6 22.5* R Flex

:Sub70: Irons, 699 Pro's S Flex (5 - AW)

:Sub70:  JB Wedge 56*

:cleveland-small: Wedge, CBX 60*

:odyssey-small: Putter, Marksman Fang 35"

9 minutes ago, TBS said:

81 - 40/41

3 birdies, 1 freaking triple, 8 FIR, 8 GIR, 2 up and downs, 1 penalty

I was close to breaking 80 today. One bad hole held me back. I’m proud of how I played and never got too frustrated. Today was fun. 

D2F51D2C-A9FE-42DD-A67A-11C58F040541.jpeg.d6e0e4d59428acd574caad77d2b05742.jpeg

Doubles are bad, Triples are killers.  You’ll get it next time!

• Like 3

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Titleist TSi2, Kuro Kage 50 gr R2

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous Vista Pro R2

Irons; Ping G710 6-GW, Recoil 460 R2

Putter; Waaay too many to list