How'd you play?

MmmmmmBuddy

4 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

My iron game is trash right now, just horrible. 

Ball then turf grasshopper. We schooled do a scrabble. My iron game and your driving should do us well. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5"

2H: :callaway-small: Super Hybrid with Tensei Orange Pro Hyb 80 Stiff 

3H: :Sub70: 939X UST proforce V2 black F5 hybrid soft stepped

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 1/4" long Unofficial Review

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)  (Backup 54*,60*: :ping-small:  S Tour KBS Tour Stiff 3* up)

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1:2021 Phantom X5 35" (Backup: :1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

Ball:  :titelist-small: proV1  (back up balls :titleist-small:ProV1 Left Dot, :Snell:MTB-X, :OnCore:Vero X1, :callaway-small:CS X LS)

9 minutes ago, rbsiedsc said:

Ball then turf grasshopper. We schooled do a scrabble. My iron game and your driving should do us well. 

Yeah, but I am living in block city

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 11/13/2021
Driver:titelist-small: TSi 2 - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:titelist-small: TSi2 3 wood, 5 wood - Aldila Ascent 60 S
Irons:titelist-small: T300 5 to SW - LAGP AXS Red 85 Stiff double soft stepped
Wedges:Miura: K-grind 2.0 58 wedge - Xcaliber RT Spin Wedge 100
Putter:  SIK DW Armlock - LAGP 180 armlock shaft

normal Sunday round; hot and humid and by the 15th hole I was pretty worn out.  Ball striking is still pretty good; putting seems to be continuing down the mediocre path.   Did a little experimentation today; based podcasts and metrics I have been reading my goal was to be pin high or past on every hole.  Essentially the thought process is to hit your 80% percentile for shot dispersion and not always be short.   Ended up short siding myself long a couple of times, but I think the approach is beneficial and results in shorter putts.    

42/40:82.  8 FW, 9 GIR, 38 putts.   

• Like 9

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 5-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :callaway-small: 54-10S   :cleveland-small: 588  58-12
Putter:  logo-horizontal-black.svg Directed Force 2.1

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180, :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, Bellum Winmore 787, :seemore-small: mFGP2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Shot a 78 (+6) yesterday.  Hit the ball well.  Rolled in a couple putts.  First and last time playing this local course, but it was a last minute decision to go out.  Maybe 13-14 actual golf holes.  Lost a couple strokes due to not knowing the course and a few more due to poor conditions around the green.  5+ hour round as people didn't know you could talk and drive a golf cart at the same time, which was very frustrating.  BUT, it was some good golfing weather so I'm glad I was able to sneak a round in! 

• Like 7

Bag: Big Max Dri Lite Summit Black/Red

Driver: Callaway GBB Epic

3 Wood: Callaway Epix Max - Project X HZRDUS Smoke iM10 60g

4-AW Irons: TaylorMade P790 - KBS Tour 120g Stiff *fitted

52* 56* & 60* Wedges: Cleveland RTX4

Putter: Mizuno M Craft I Blue

Ball: Vice Pro Plus or whatever premium ball was on sale recently

Bacon Boyz 9 holes 7:00am Tee Time, warm and little humid but nice breeze probably from TS Fred.  Not a pretty sight this morning, +4.  Driver was not good but irons were hanging in there.  Couple decent shots with 5 hybrid that gave me some hope.

Always tomorrow 👍

• Like 9

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Titleist TSi2, Kuro Kage 50 gr R2

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous Vista Pro R2

Irons; Ping G710 6-GW, Recoil 460 R2

Putter; Waaay too many to list

3 hours ago, cnosil said:

normal Sunday round; hot and humid and by the 15th hole I was pretty worn out.  Ball striking is still pretty good; putting seems to be continuing down the mediocre path.   Did a little experimentation today; based podcasts and metrics I have been reading my goal was to be pin high or past on every hole.  Essentially the thought process is to hit your 80% percentile for shot dispersion and not always be short.   Ended up short siding myself long a couple of times, but I think the approach is beneficial and results in shorter putts.    

42/40:82.  8 FW, 9 GIR, 38 putts.   

I know this isn't your train of thought. I disagree with the podcasts on this, or whatever the metrics say. The traditional way green complexes were constructed was the green was sloped back to front, and the direct front of the green is open to give the shots of less skilled players a chance to bounce the ball onto the green. It's only on the newer courses, say ones constructed since say the 1980s that more obstacles have been appearing in front of greens to force players to carry the ball onto the putting surface. On the majority of courses around me (Cleveland, OH so we have older courses) if I try to be pin high or worse I'm going to have a lot of downhill putts, or chips from over the back of the green onto a downhill. If I play to stay short of the pin, I am leaving myself with uphill putts, and giving luck a chance to bounce the ball on if my 80% shot doesn't quite carry all the way on. Even if it's a front pin, I'll putt from the apron.

And I read those ShotScope metrics reports. Where I disagree is their conclusion, not with the numbers themselves. They point out that the vast majority of approach shots (or 2nd shots) end up short. They also point out that the vast majority of trouble around a green is towards the front. Their conclusion is to hit more club to make sure the player avoids trouble short. What this does not account for are the slick, downhill chips and putts I just mentioned. I think what their conclusion should be is for the player to make note of were trouble is, and make the best shot selection to avoid said trouble. If that's a lake, then take one more club. If it's a pin tucked on the right side next to a bunker, and you only hit draws, maybe don't play for the pin on this hole and aim for the center of the green. The logic should be three things  - understand your ability, be aware of trouble, make the intelligent shot to avoid trouble. 

• Like 7

Take Dead Aim

Driver: Titleist 915 D3 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: Titleist 714CB 4-PW

Wedges: Vokey SM5 & SM6 50/54/58

Putter: Odyssey Versa #7 32"

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

10 minutes ago, DiscipleofPenick said:

I know this isn't your train of thought. I disagree with the podcasts on this, or whatever the metrics say. The traditional way green complexes were constructed was the green was sloped back to front, and the direct front of the green is open to give the shots of less skilled players a chance to bounce the ball onto the green. It's only on the newer courses, say ones constructed since say the 1980s that more obstacles have been appearing in front of greens to force players to carry the ball onto the putting surface. On the majority of courses around me (Cleveland, OH so we have older courses) if I try to be pin high or worse I'm going to have a lot of downhill putts, or chips from over the back of the green onto a downhill. If I play to stay short of the pin, I am leaving myself with uphill putts, and giving luck a chance to bounce the ball on if my 80% shot doesn't quite carry all the way on. Even if it's a front pin, I'll putt from the apron.

And I read those ShotScope metrics reports. Where I disagree is their conclusion, not with the numbers themselves. They point out that the vast majority of approach shots (or 2nd shots) end up short. They also point out that the vast majority of trouble around a green is towards the front. Their conclusion is to hit more club to make sure the player avoids trouble short. What this does not account for are the slick, downhill chips and putts I just mentioned. I think what their conclusion should be is for the player to make note of were trouble is, and make the best shot selection to avoid said trouble. If that's a lake, then take one more club. If it's a pin tucked on the right side next to a bunker, and you only hit draws, maybe don't play for the pin on this hole and aim for the center of the green. The logic should be three things  - understand your ability, be aware of trouble, make the intelligent shot to avoid trouble. 

Respect you opinion,  and I agree you need to understand you ability, assess the trouble around the green, and make the intelligent shot. 

With the development of tools like shotlink, strokes gained, and people tracking their data the strategies to play golf are evolving.   The older school of thought that you want uphill putts and chips doesn’t lead to better scoring…give me a slick downhill 4 footer instead of a 9 foot uphill putt any day.  Different Strategies on when to attack pins and not too attack are now being shown to average golfers. Y more knowledgeable sources than the golf commentator trying to fill 4 hours of air time.   Additionally players end up short because they don’t know how far they hit the ball; they play to that personal best number that they seldom achieve .  

I would say that my decisions this past weekend were probably smarter decisions than I have made in the past.  All players have dispersion patterns for the shots and you have no idea where your next shot will go.   I’ll continue to work on better target selection for better long term scoring.  

• Like 8

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 5-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :callaway-small: 54-10S   :cleveland-small: 588  58-12
Putter:  logo-horizontal-black.svg Directed Force 2.1

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180, :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, Bellum Winmore 787, :seemore-small: mFGP2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

On 8/15/2021 at 1:27 PM, DiscipleofPenick said:

Played today and not as good yesterday. Though this course was far wetter than yesterday's round, and I hope they didn't mow the fairways in a few days. Just a local course with my buddy and his wife. I didn't really keep score but I think it was in the 82-84 range. Only 1 birdie and 1 double.

The course itself was...interesting. It's about 15 minutes away from my house and I've played 9 a few times at it, but today was the first time playing 18, and the blue tees.

So as I mentioned the fairways were long. Not plush or grown in, just long. I'm hoping this means they just haven't been able to mow in the last few days. Unfortunately, there was crab grass all over, fairways too. Some of the blue tees were tucked back in a chute, which was a nice feel (and messed with me a bit) but a lot of the big trees have over grown with limbs sticking out into the fairway or hanging right in front of the tee box so you couldn't even use half of it. The par 3 17th, I couldn't even see the flag from the tee as there was a pine tree about 20 years in front that blocked the left third of the green. Trim it back. Also the course is listed at 6985, but when I measured it on Google Earth, it came out to under 6400.

To  top it off, this is the sign that greets you as you drive in. The audacity....

Hilliard_Lakes_logo.jpg

maybe they meant Augusta, Maine??  😆

• Haha 3

Modern Bag: :Sub70:  849 Pro 9*, Hazrdous Smoke S Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 15*, & 23* Hybrids; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 5 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  :cleveland-small: Tour Action 49*, 53*, 57*; PX LZ 6.5 ;  :ping-small: Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-Black; Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: H2NO 

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

2 hours ago, cnosil said:

Respect you opinion,  and I agree you need to understand you ability, assess the trouble around the green, and make the intelligent shot. 

With the development of tools like shotlink, strokes gained, and people tracking their data the strategies to play golf are evolving.   The older school of thought that you want uphill putts and chips doesn’t lead to better scoring…give me a slick downhill 4 footer instead of a 9 foot uphill putt any day.  Different Strategies on when to attack pins and not too attack are now being shown to average golfers. Y more knowledgeable sources than the golf commentator trying to fill 4 hours of air time.   Additionally players end up short because they don’t know how far they hit the ball; they play to that personal best number that they seldom achieve .  

I would say that my decisions this past weekend were probably smarter decisions than I have made in the past.  All players have dispersion patterns for the shots and you have no idea where your next shot will go.   I’ll continue to work on better target selection for better long term scoring.  

That's what it should be man! Comfort and confidence. Not just blanket metrics, but what works best for you! If you're comfortable making those decision and know what putts and shots you are comfortable with, go play your game and ignore the haters. I know what I am comfortable with, and stick to it.

You are right, people need to know their true carry distances, not always focus on that personal best number. 

• Like 6

Take Dead Aim

Driver: Titleist 915 D3 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: Titleist 714CB 4-PW

Wedges: Vokey SM5 & SM6 50/54/58

Putter: Odyssey Versa #7 32"

Ball: Srixon Z-Star