How'd you play?

MmmmmmBuddy

2 hours ago, CarlH said:

I'm struggling with the elusive 72 or better.  I've come close numerous times with 73 and frequent 74-77 rounds, but that magical even par or breaking par eludes me.  I try not to think about my score, but that's darn near impossible -- even if I'm not actively thinking about it, someone in the group will invariably mention "say, you're 2 under". LOL.  Of course, that I am generally the one keeping score doesn't help.  I should pass off that duty.

Each time I broke a milestone I never knew it. I play with golfers that know not to say anything when someone is on the verge of something good. I don't know how that started but we all just go on as usual and then spring it on them at the end. 

Obviously if you are banging out a lot of pars you know it. Focus on one shot at a time. 

• Like 8

:ping-small: Driver, G400 11* SR Flex

:taylormade-small: 3 Wood, SLDR  HL 17*  R Flex

:taylormade-small: 5 Wood, SLDR 19* R Flex

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, F6 22.5* R Flex

:Sub70: Irons, 699 Pro's S Flex (5 - AW)

:Sub70:  JB Wedge 56*

:cleveland-small: Wedge, CBX 60*

:odyssey-small: Putter, Marksman Fang 35"

12 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Each time I broke a milestone I never knew it. I play with golfers that know not to say anything when someone is on the verge of something good. I don't know how that started but we all just go on as usual and then spring it on them at the end. 

Obviously if you are banging out a lot of pars you know it. Focus on one shot at a time. 

That’s when you know you’re playing with guys who’ve played other sports competitively. They know what not to say in those situations.

It’s like when a pitcher hasn’t given up a hit for 7 innings. Nobody wants to sit near or say a word to him.

• Like 8

:callaway-small: Epic Max 9* Bassara 

:callaway-small: Mavrik Max 15* Helium 

:titelist-small: TSi2 18* & 21* Kuro Kage

PXG 0311 Gen3 XP 5-AW MMT

:titelist-small: SM8 52F & 58D

:cameron-small: Newport 2.0 Special Select 33.5”    

:1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5+Black stand bag

1 hour ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Indeed they are. And of course I have a newly arrived unopened box of P790s sitting in my office😳

Of course, I should have known that😜

• Haha 3

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Titleist TSi2, Kuro Kage 50 gr R2

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous Vista Pro R2

Irons; Ping G710 6-GW, Recoil 460 R2

Putter; Waaay too many to list

1 hour ago, fozcycle said:

Last couple of rounds at Plantation Palms has not been good, but Labor Day weekend came at a good time.  Our family fathers at Suwannee River Rendezvous for a weekend of tubing and eating.  Golf will return on Tuesday.

77D9372F-0B5E-41E8-8976-9DB4AD0200FA.jpeg

7A19096F-657C-44B2-8173-00E822826E95.jpeg

A81328CE-BCD0-4AB6-BC8F-EF823E563698.jpeg

That’s awesome!!

Rick

Left Hand, 

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

32 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

That quiet when you’re on the verge of something good can be deafening 😱

• Like 2

Rick

Left Hand, 

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

1 minute ago, Rickp said:

That quiet when you’re on the verge of something good can be deafening 😱

Yes, like bowling your going into the 10th frame with all strikes and everyone stops to watch. All you can hear is your heartbeat.

• Like 4

:ping-small: Driver, G400 11* SR Flex

:taylormade-small: 3 Wood, SLDR  HL 17*  R Flex

:taylormade-small: 5 Wood, SLDR 19* R Flex

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, F6 22.5* R Flex

:Sub70: Irons, 699 Pro's S Flex (5 - AW)

:Sub70:  JB Wedge 56*

:cleveland-small: Wedge, CBX 60*

:odyssey-small: Putter, Marksman Fang 35"

Son and I played at Fairways in Rochelle with a couple friends from work.  All three are a lot better than I am.  I was actually playing pretty well at first.  Then I shot 10's on back to back par 5's, which started an eight hole run of double or worse golf.  On the whole, though, things were encouraging.  Some grip and alignment adjustments were mostly working well.  Putting was more hit than miss and I hit a few really nice wedge shots.

Best part of all: I used the same ball for the entire round!

Weather was great and the company was better.  Shot a 110 and would do it all over again.

• Like 6
  • Love 2

Titleist 385k driver

Dunlop 3 wood

Nickent 3DX 3 hybrid

Cobra AMP 5-PW

Pinemeadow 52° 56° 60° 64° wedges

PIng Anser putter

7 hours ago, dlow206 said:

Yep, i need to figure out how not to let it get in my head. 

"... You never count your money when you're sittin' at the table.  There'll be time enough for countin' when the dealin's done."  - Kenny Rogers

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 3

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

10 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Yes, like bowling your going into the 10th frame with all strikes and everyone stops to watch. All you can hear is your heartbeat.

The first couple times that happens, it's kind of unnerving.  

I used to bowl a LOT, and its interesting seeing the reactions, depending on the league.  Bowled a work league, they'd get excited if you had the first six, LOL.  Bowled a scratch league that had a few top area bowlers, no one did anything different until someone had the front 11.

Funny.

• Like 4

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 10*, Aldila NV75 X, 43.5" -or- SpeedZone, HZRDUS Black 75 6.5, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, RIP Beta 90, 42" -or- Stage 2 Tour, NV105 X, 42.5"
2h or 3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, Steelfiber 125 S; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; PM Grind 19 58*, stock shaft
Putter:  Mizuno TPM-2, 34"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, TM TP5

14 hours ago, fozcycle said:

Last couple of rounds at Plantation Palms has not been good, but Labor Day weekend came at a good time.  Our family fathers at Suwannee River Rendezvous for a weekend of tubing and eating.  Golf will return on Tuesday.

77D9372F-0B5E-41E8-8976-9DB4AD0200FA.jpeg

7A19096F-657C-44B2-8173-00E822826E95.jpeg

A81328CE-BCD0-4AB6-BC8F-EF823E563698.jpeg

That looks like one of the few things better than golf!

• Like 2

Take Dead Aim

13 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Your handicap is already pretty low so obviously you can get around the course well. I would guess that you don't have a blow up hole. When I was scoring in the 74 to 75 range I made an effort to play smart golf. No hero shots! No pin hunting. Center of the green and two putt. You will wind up making a one putt here and there. I also spent a LOT of time practicing chipping and putting. If I missed a green I was so confident that I could chip it in, and if I didn't it was an easy 1 putt. 

Don't stress out if you get a bogey, your mindset needs to be, I'll just get a birdie in the next few holes to offset it. Let it happen rather than try to make it happen. Stress is a killer. I went through that stage. I need to par the last hole and sure enough you mess it up. Let's face it, at this level you know you had all pars or a bogey and a birdie toward the end of the round. You don't have to look at your score card. This is the mental part of the game. Focus on one shot at a time.

Your very close it will come. Once it does then your next goal is an all par round. When you try for that you will actually wind up with several under par rounds first. An all par round is actually a lot harder in my opinion.

Thanks. I learned some time ago to put the scorecard away and not think about total overall. My short game it's what keeps me in it, as I don't I hit as many greens as I should for my hcp. There's just certain days the driver didn't work as well, but those usually aren't repeat performances. Putting is ok but nothing great, and the only part of the game I really get to practice.

I agree with you that at this point it is the mental side and just getting through that barrier. I know one thing that happens to me is I start getting ahead of myself. Not thinking about score or anything like that. I mean that I rush myself, just play too fast, or let other things on the course get to me. Need to just take my time to settle and commit to each shot.

• Like 6

Take Dead Aim

2 hours ago, edingc said:

This morning's nine holes pretty much sums up the last month or so of my golf season. I've been posting sporadically because I've had some miserable days mixed in with only a few decent scores.

Hole 10 - Best drive I've hit all year on this hole, 315 yards (downhill) middle of very tight fairway, chipping distance to green. Ball stopped on a dead patch of dirt/grass, left the chip well short but on green, first putt short, five footer lips out, 2 footer lips out, fourth putt thankfully goes in. Double.

Hole 11 - Dogleg right. Pull my new Cobra 4 Utility and hit a towering push draw that looks to be great and heading to middle fairway. Catches the very top of a tree that overhangs the fairway and falls straight down. Second shot runs through dogleg and stops at base of tree. Have to turn wedge around and left hand back to fairway. Wedge to pin high, chip, miss a five footer. Triple.

Hole 12 - Full pitching wedge with tees and pin both back. Overdraw just a hair left to where the cart path cuts in within five yards of green. Hit the cart path and bounces into woods. Find it, but take two strokes to get back on green, two putts. Double.

Hole 15 - Short par 4, drivable with my 2 hybrid. Hit a really nice ball that leaked right and caught one of the trees overhanging the fairway by the green. Spent a long time looking for it but presume it either got stuck in the tree or sat down in the rough (unlikely since I covered the whole area). Take my strokes, chip up, two putt. Double.

Two bogies and three pars made up the other five holes. Really, a pretty good ball striking day. I've been hitting the ball so well and just have not had an ounce of luck lately. Frustrating.

Golf Gods are generous... but do have their limits... time to pay-up suckka! 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)