How'd you play?

MmmmmmBuddy

Second day in a row of stopping after nine.

This feels like the Tuesday Night League of after-work golf

back when we were afflicted with the necessity of working for a living, God forbid. 

Except it's early morning, not twilight.  

The guys are getting old, so I must be as well.

Oh, well.   Broke forty sinking a twenty footer on 18 [played the back this time].

Starting on the back is the only way I can occasionally break forty there.

Not sure why, but I never play the second nine as well as as the first.

Probably the attention span capability of an aging brain. We're riding. I'm not that tired.

Anybody know a cure for this phenomenon?  

[Talking about playing as well on the second nine, not about aging.

If you have a cure for the latter, now we're really talking about something.]

• Like 7

On 9/5/2021 at 3:26 PM, fixyurdivot said:

I just noticed you are playing MMT shafts in your irons.  Which ones and how do you like them?

I like them a lot - nice feel and response, with a hint of a little kick at impact. I actually have the 60g/A flex .. last year I had the original 0211s with 70g/R MMTs and - for me (decent shape but 65 now; just under 5' 7" and about 156 lbs) - the lighter ones are just easier to swing more freely, eg. don't feel like I have to work as hard.

Before these I had Recoils in my irons (which I also like).

• Like 3

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
..Callaway Epic Speed 4W and Epic Max 7W (both Project X Cypher)
..Callaway Big Bertha 4H and 5H (both Recoil ZTR)
..PXG 0211 6i-GW (Mitsubishi MMT) 
..Cleveland CBX-2 54 and CBX 60 (both Rotex graphite)
...Edel EAS 4.0 (stock shaft, zero offset hosel, round grip)
..all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart.

Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

I had such a rough round on Monday, I felt like I was fighting my swing the whole front 9. My driver was so straight, but I kept having the killer over the top creating my pulls, which is what I am working on in lessons with my pro. After hole 12 I just put the scorecard away, to just try to take some pressure off and just see if I could hit some good shots. Then on 13, I hit 6 iron to 2 feet and really thought I had my first hole in one, and from then on I started playing alot better. I do try to focus on the positives of the round, my ball striking is the best it has ever been, and I have hit some of the best shots of my life this last month when I get it right.  I am scratching my head on whether I need another lesson this week, or just grind on the range on what I am needing to work on to get rid of the other the top pulls. 

• Like 8

:taylormade-small: SIM 2 9* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue Raw 60 X

:taylormade-small: Sim Max 15* Aldila Rogue Silver 70 X-Stiff

:titelist-small: TSi2 18* Hybrid Mitsubishi Tensei AV White Raw 90 X

:ping-small: G410 22* Even Flow Black 85 6.5 

PXG 0311 P 5-7 FUJIKURA PRO115i TS S (HS)

PXG 0311 T 8-PW FUJIKURA PRO115i TS S (HS)

:mizuno-small: T20 50*, 60 @ 58* Dynamic Gold TI S400

:taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 54.11 Dynamic Gold TI S200 

:EVNROLL: ER5v Short Plumbers Neck 35" 

:titelist-small: PRO V1

:Clicgear:  3.5+ Push Cart

:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9 with Slope

:SuperSpeed:

1 hour ago, cksurfdude said:

I like them a lot - nice feel and response, with a hint of a little kick at impact. I actually have the 60g/A flex .. last year I had the original 0211s with 70g/R MMTs and - for me (decent shape but 65 now; just under 5' 7" and about 156 lbs) - the lighter ones are just easier to swing more freely, eg. don't feel like I have to work as hard.

Before these I had Recoils in my irons (which I also like).

I really liked the Recoil SMACWrap ES760 F3's.  Had I not had a fitting and just went with the PING fitting kiosk, I'd have very likely chose G425's with the Recoil. The TrueSpec fitter was really smitten with Mitsubishi's iron shafts and the ZX series irons... not that that had any bearing on my final decision mind you 😄.

• Like 3

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

My wife and I played in a couple's Red, White and Blue scramble tournament on Labor Day.  Not something I like to do unless it's for a charity I support.  The format is Men start from the Blue tees; Women start from the White tees.  If we make a bogey or worse, Men move up to White tees; Women move up to Red tees.  If we make a birdie, Men go to Black tees and Women move to Blue tees.  My focus was to NEVER make a birdie when I'm on the Blue tees.  My thought process was that making a birdie doesn't offset the ensuing double bogey on the next hole!!  Well, I managed to stay on the Blues and and Whites.  

Our team handicap was 6 (35% of the high index plus 15% of the low index).  We shot +2 of the front nine and EVEN on the back nine, so a 74... net 68.  I have no idea how we finished, but I'm guessing near the bottom.  🙄

• Like 9

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

A lovely day at the park and I played pretty well, just didn’t get any birdies today.

Adele just keeps rolling great putts. It’s nice to finally have a “great” flat stick.

• Like 9

:callaway-small: MavriK Sub Zero 9* on EvenFlow RipTide 6.0 50g

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:cobra-small: F8 5/6 wood on Aldila NxT GEN MLT R

:Hogan: Combo iron set -8,9,per Icon 5,6,7 PtxPro 4-UiHi on Recoil 780 ES f4 Stiff shafts (best clubs ever)

:benhogan-small: Equalizer 50°, 54°, 60° wedges on Recoil 780 f4

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 shoes

8 hours ago, cjeffs12 said:

I had such a rough round on Monday, I felt like I was fighting my swing the whole front 9. My driver was so straight, but I kept having the killer over the top creating my pulls, which is what I am working on in lessons with my pro. After hole 12 I just put the scorecard away, to just try to take some pressure off and just see if I could hit some good shots. Then on 13, I hit 6 iron to 2 feet and really thought I had my first hole in one, and from then on I started playing alot better. I do try to focus on the positives of the round, my ball striking is the best it has ever been, and I have hit some of the best shots of my life this last month when I get it right.  I am scratching my head on whether I need another lesson this week, or just grind on the range on what I am needing to work on to get rid of the other the top pulls. 

IMO from my experience it's best to keep working on what your pro said until you think you've made the change.  Then let the pro look to see if you fixed the issue, or if you need an adjustment.  Change doesn't happen overnight.

• Like 5

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Sundays round was a tale of 2 9’s…..started slow found a rhythm and finished strong.

closed the back 9 going par, par, birdie,par!

46 / 39 = 85

• Like 9

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

7 hours ago, Kenny B said:

IMO from my experience it's best to keep working on what your pro said until you think you've made the change.  Then let the pro look to see if you fixed the issue, or if you need an adjustment.  Change doesn't happen overnight.

That is so true, and I keep reminding myself that it will take time. That’s what I thought would be best too. Thank you 

• Like 5

:taylormade-small: SIM 2 9* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue Raw 60 X

:taylormade-small: Sim Max 15* Aldila Rogue Silver 70 X-Stiff

:titelist-small: TSi2 18* Hybrid Mitsubishi Tensei AV White Raw 90 X

:ping-small: G410 22* Even Flow Black 85 6.5 

PXG 0311 P 5-7 FUJIKURA PRO115i TS S (HS)

PXG 0311 T 8-PW FUJIKURA PRO115i TS S (HS)

:mizuno-small: T20 50*, 60 @ 58* Dynamic Gold TI S400

:taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 54.11 Dynamic Gold TI S200 

:EVNROLL: ER5v Short Plumbers Neck 35" 

:titelist-small: PRO V1

:Clicgear:  3.5+ Push Cart

:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9 with Slope

:SuperSpeed:

47 minutes ago, RollingGreens said:

I played the hybrid tees on Friday and couldn't have played better shot a 79 for my first round breaking 80.

Congrats!  Get this man a new badge.

Blazin Saddles We Dont Need Badges GIF - Blazin Saddles We Dont Need Badges  We Dont Need No Stinking Badges - Discover & Share GIFs

• Like 8

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

What do you know?

We actually completely a full round today!

I played OK.  OK is always good enough to bring me back.

But I've got a bigger problem than that.

Everybody was tired and wanted to go straight home afterward.

The guys are getting too old to hang out and socialize.

And we finish too early for them to throw down a few.

Now to a real obsessive player, that wouldn't matter.

They're out for the golf, period.

For me, though, the hanging out at the club is almost half of it.

We have some very nice green fee courses in the area if I only cared about playing.

I didn't play at all last year because the social aspect of playing was shut down by covid.

Well, anytime I don't feel like going straight home from now on, I may just stay and hang out by myself.  You always run into somebody, and if you don't, there are interesting golf trade publications to read.

[I don't know how explanations that I read years ago about why they stopped letting us wear real  spikes, but whatever number it was, that's the number of them that I didn't believe.]

For now, getting on line and complaining to you guys is serving as a substitute.

Of course on weekends, when I don't play and spend time with the wife and dog,  most of you guys are out playing!

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, BostonSal said:

What do you know?

We actually completely a full round today!

I played OK.  OK is always good enough to bring me back.

But I've got a bigger problem than that.

Everybody was tired and wanted to go straight home afterward.

The guys are getting too old to hang out and socialize.

And we finish too early for them to throw down a few.

Now to a real obsessive player, that wouldn't matter.

They're out for the golf, period.

For me, though, the hanging out at the club is almost half of it.

We have some very nice green fee courses in the area if I only cared about playing.

I didn't play at all last year because the social aspect of playing was shut down by covid.

Well, anytime I don't feel like going straight home from now on, I may just stay and hang out by myself.  You always run into somebody, and if you don't, there are interesting golf trade publications to read.

[I don't know how explanations that I read years ago about why they stopped letting us wear real  spikes, but whatever number it was, that's the number of them that I didn't believe.]

For now, getting on line and complaining to you guys is serving as a substitute.

Of course on weekends, when I don't play and spend time with the wife and dog,  most of you guys are out playing!

I used to look forward to golf league nights. After the round everyone would hang out, get burgers, drink beers, pick on each other and talk about their good shots and misses. Then the hanging out dwindled down. Shortly after that they started getting earlier tee times due to some of the guys getting out of work earlier. 

So you get there and most are already out on the course. Then they get done and just leave. By the time the last groups are finishing up everyone was gone. Got so bad that I said what's the point I can play anywhere by myself or with a couple of guys. The entire camaraderie was gone. So I just quit the work league. By the next season the entire league fell apart. This was about three years ago prior to COVID.

I don't know if the times are changing or just coincidence. But I don't see this bonding much in my area. I belong to a private club as well and I don't see it there either. People go, play, and leave unless there is a function. Even our pool has seen much less activity from 5 years ago. Our membership has grown so it make no sense.

• Like 7
  • Sad 2
  • Hmmm 1

:ping-small: Driver, G400 11* SR Flex

:taylormade-small: 3 Wood, SLDR  HL 17*  R Flex

:taylormade-small: 5 Wood, SLDR 19* R Flex

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, F6 22.5* R Flex

:Sub70: Irons, 699 Pro's S Flex (5 - AW)

:Sub70:  JB Wedge 56*

:cleveland-small: Wedge, CBX 60*

:odyssey-small: Putter, Marksman Fang 35"

2 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I used to look forward to golf league nights. After the round everyone would hang out, get burgers, drink beers, pick on each other and talk about their good shots and misses. Then the hanging out dwindled down. Shortly after that they started getting earlier tee times due to some of the guys getting out of work earlier. 

So you get there and most are already out on the course. Then they get done and just leave. By the time the last groups are finishing up everyone was gone. Got so bad that I said what's the point I can play anywhere by myself or with a couple of guys. The entire camaraderie was gone. So I just quit the work league. By the next season the entire league fell apart. This was about three years ago prior to COVID.

I don't know if the times are changing or just coincidence. But I don't see this bonding much in my area. I belong to a private club as well and I don't see it there either. People go, play, and leave unless there is a function. Even our pool has seen much less activity from 5 years ago. Our membership has grown so it make no sense.

It's why I quit league play. When I turned 16 (coincidence coming) my dad has me join his work league. It was competitive golf on great course. I paid my dues, skins, and weekly games like everyone else, no issues with a kid in the league. And most of them went to the bar afterwards.

Now as an adult, I tried 2 different leagues and left both after 1 season. The more recent was the better of the 2, the guys were friendlier and some would hang out a bit after, we'd do cookouts at least twice a season. But no one wanted to golf beyond that 9 holes. The other league was based around flighted match play, so I only ever had rounds with the other 7 guys in my flight. And no one ever stayed, perfectly fine too play with but everyone went straight to their cars and headed home after the 9th green.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Take Dead Aim

Played stinky today.  Ball striking was off.  I was just moving too much on the swing.  Putter was so-so, but in most cases I was too far from the hole with my approach shots.  Shot an 85.  Just one of the 12 scores that aren't used to calculate the HC 🙂

• Like 6

Driver: :ping-small: G400 Max 9 degree set to +1, Aldila Extreme Green 55 gram R shaft 

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M4 3W (16.5*) 5W (21*) 7W (24*) -- stock R shafts.

Irons: :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW KBSTour Graphite  70g shafts R

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX2 52,56, 60 degree wedges

Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7S

Ball: :Snell: MTB-X

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

82 (42/40) at the Ole Miss Golf Course. I can’t hit a green to save my life right now (28%), and the driver swing I had Saturday just wouldn’t work today. Tough not knowing where to aim on the tee box.  Frustrating round….

• Like 5
  • Sad 2

Driver: :cobra-small: King F9 Speedback/:callaway-small:Epic Max LS, Xphlexxx Busa 2 Liquid, XX stiff, 45”

Fwy:  :callaway-small: Epic Speed 4w, MMT 80X

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 105X

Irons: :honma:TR20 Tour P 4-10, :Nippon: Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

All but putter have Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Calibrate midsize built to oversize +1