How'd you play?

MmmmmmBuddy

10 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Don't you just hate it when you play in a charity scramble and the team that wins bought the win. I'm all about the charity and paying a large fee for a team to play. But when they add in the other crap it takes away from the game. As an example for $250.00 you can buy a hole in one on a par five. On another hole for $250.00 you can drop next to the green on a par five. So this team with cash to burn wins at 22 under and only one was a decent golfer and two were drunk before they even teed off. My team was pretty stout and finished at 16 under with no gimics. We wound up in 8th place out of 36 teams.

Ok they raised a boat load of money and I get it but you still need to play the course in my opinion. There are plenty of ways to make money. Like pay $10 to hit a circle on a green around the flag to double your money or win a sleeve of balls. Miss it and you get nothing. That's $1440 there then take out the paybacks. More people are willing to shell out $10 than $250. 

I want to play the course and try to play well. I want to feel like I earned a win not purchased one. Just something that I had to get off my chest.

Wow!  That’s not a Golf Scramble, nothing to do with the best team play, only biggest wallet to auction off the win.

Its for a Charity so I’d do what you did, play your best and forget it.

• Like 6

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Titleist TSi2, Kuro Kage 50 gr R2

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous Vista Pro R2

Irons; Ping G710 6-GW, Recoil 460 R2

Putter; Waaay too many to list

10 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Don't you just hate it when you play in a charity scramble and the team that wins bought the win. I'm all about the charity and paying a large fee for a team to play. But when they add in the other crap it takes away from the game. As an example for $250.00 you can buy a hole in one on a par five. On another hole for $250.00 you can drop next to the green on a par five. So this team with cash to burn wins at 22 under and only one was a decent golfer and two were drunk before they even teed off. My team was pretty stout and finished at 16 under with no gimics. We wound up in 8th place out of 36 teams.

Ok they raised a boat load of money and I get it but you still need to play the course in my opinion. There are plenty of ways to make money. Like pay $10 to hit a circle on a green around the flag to double your money or win a sleeve of balls. Miss it and you get nothing. That's $1440 there then take out the paybacks. More people are willing to shell out $10 than $250. 

I want to play the course and try to play well. I want to feel like I earned a win not purchased one. Just something that I had to get off my chest.

I guess the charity is thinking that every team is expected put up the $250 for each hole.  If my team didn't want to do that, then personally I would donate money to the charity, if it was a charity I support, and go play somewhere else.

• Like 6

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

11 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Last Charity Scramble I played in was 11 years ago.  $1,800 for Team, expensive for that time.  It was straight competition with handicap. There were no extra “Goodies” that would affect the score.  Because there were no Goodies the pace of play was OK.  

There was betting such as closest to the hole, long drive, Team gross & Net that were handled separately.

Great BBQ dinner afterwards!

• Like 5

Rick

Left Hand, 

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

11 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I've played in events like this in years past, but at least I knew going in that the end results were anything but true tournament play golf.  Buy a free roll on the green, a throw from anywhere off the green, a foot wedge from anywhere, up to five off the tee mulligans, and a couple of beverage carts, and you have goofy golf.  But they were all really quite entertaining... ever seen a golf cart with its front end submerged in a water hazard? 😆

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

I had not touched my clubs for 2 weeks due to vacation until last night. 2 weeks ago was a hot mess in league - everything with every club was right and not solid. I did not score super bad, but that was primarily the result of scrambling. It was not until my last full iron shot that I figured out what I was apparently doing wrong: I was getting super steep with everything. The dirt mark on that iron shot was at about a 20* angle and I was digging the toe in. Having that awareness, I made a concerted effort to flatten things out last night, but I overdid it a bit and had a lot of pulls last night. Things were certainly more solid. I ended up shooting +7 which is right at my league handicap.

• Like 9

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) Mitsubishi MMT 70X
3W: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 15* Recoil 460ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:  :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW: :cleveland-small: Zipcore Black Satin 58*
Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Marxman
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5x Pix
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

2021 Test - Callaway Epic Speed

The best part of my game today was my driver. 5 of 7 fairways hit today. That is an all time high for me. Once again, my iron play was awful. I need to find a good instructor in my area. Putting was ok just a couple of 3 putts. The greens are still very sandy from aeration and we’re still dewy in my morning round. The green speeds were very inconsistent from hole to hole. 

• Like 6

TaylorMade Supreme Hybrid Stand Bag

Ping G400 Max 10.5° w/Alta CB 55

PXG 0341 3 wood 15° w/Project X Even Flow Blue

Ping G30 Hybrid 3 19° w/Ping TFC 419H

Ping G410 Crossover 4 23° w/Mitsubishi Tensei Blue

PXG 0211 5 - G w/True Temper Elevate 95

Callaway MD3 54° S-Grind w/True Temper Dynamic Gold

Callaway MD3 58° W-Grind w/True Temper Dynamic Gold

Evnroll ER7 34”

Snell MTB-Black 

Mileseey PF210 Laser Rangefinder

Clicgear 3.5+

Career day for driving accuracy: 12/13 fairways, and that doesn't tell the story. Most of the drives were exactly where I wanted them. Yesterday's lesson worked!

• Like 8

Moose, my cat, is Siamese

44 minutes ago, Siamese Moose said:

Career day for driving accuracy: 12/13 fairways, and that doesn't tell the story. Most of the drives were exactly where I wanted them. Yesterday's lesson worked!

Congrats, nice driving. Did it lead to more GIR and lower score?

• Like 1

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

2 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Congrats, nice driving. Did it lead to more GIR and lower score?

Not as great an improvement in GIR as I would like,  but still a gain. If putts had fallen, the score could have been really special.

• Like 1

Moose, my cat, is Siamese

15 hours ago, Siamese Moose said:

Not as great an improvement in GIR as I would like,  but still a gain. If putts had fallen, the score could have been really special.

That’s good

• Like 1

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

At a golf trip in OC MD, played Okay shot a 91 .. really made dumb mistakes that cost my 4 strokes so could of been better… was driving it really well, wedge game is off though, and didn’t hit any GReens on any Par 3 .. so def could of played better

• Like 6

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver Tensei AV Blue or  :ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: King Speedzone Black Yellow Fairway 3 wood Tensei AV Blue 65 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway 5 Wood   :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:titelist-small: T300 4i-GW - Tensei AV Blue AM2 Regular Flex  or :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW Project X Lz 4.5 Regular Flex Graphite 

:ping-small:   Glide 2.0 SS Wedges 54 & 58 

:taylormade-small: TP Red White Ardmore Putter - BGT Stability Tour Black shaft 

:918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX7 range finder 

:cobra-small: Ultralight Cart Bag 

On 10/7/2021 at 5:01 AM, TR1PTIK said:

Much better yesterday afternoon than the previous round. I think I barely broke 100 last time I played - was struggling badly with the big stick and had a bunch of penalties. Yesterday was a much different story even though I still sliced a couple drives and had one penalty. 

Played at Southern Oaks in the early afternoon, and started off ok: Bogey, Par, Par, Par, Bogey, Bogey. Then, I managed my first double of the day from the fairway on #7 (the shortest Par 4). I left the approach short and right before 3-putting my way to the hole. I tripled on #8 after slicing the tee shot and taking an unplayable and still having to chip something out to the fairway, but #9 was a different story. I sliced my tee shot again and wound up on top of a hill right of the cart path with a bare lie. It's a par 5 and I had a clear shot so I decided to put my 3-iron to the test (I normally game a hybrid). Contact felt decent, but the ball came out a little low. It landed short of the green, bounced on and rolled all the way to the back. I had a slippery downhill putt of 20+ft breaking right-to-left that missed by a couple inches and knocked the remaining in for my first birdie of the day and a 43 going out.

On the 10th tee, I was invited to play with the group in front due to a foursome ahead of them that refused to let anyone play through. I hit a good tee shot, but it started a bit too far right and I was blocked out by trees. Decided to play a punch shot with my 4-iron which looked really good at first, but ended up long and left of the green on a bare lie among some small trees. I was almost completely blocked out from here, but chipped an 8-iron through a small gap to leave me just off the green. Another chip (this time with my 50* GW) and two putts in for a double. #11 is a long Par 5 that's uphill nearly the entire way. I hit a great drive up the left edge of the fairway, then laid up in front of some bunkers with my 6-iron. GW onto the green and then I made my best putt of the day for birdie - 30~ feet breaking left-to-right. The next six holes went, Par, Bogey, Bogey, Par, Bogey, Bogey, before ending with another double on 18. I was sitting comfortably in the middle of the fairway with my approach, but chose the wrong club, pushed it short and right, scooped my chip shot into the bunker, hit out with the wrong club (which actually turned out ok - landed near the hole and rolled out to the fringe), then used putter to get me close for another 43. 

All said and done 43/43/86 felt really good. I'll also say that as much as I hate slow play (especially groups that won't let others play through), I am somewhat thankful for it yesterday. I wound up playing with some real fun guys and we exchanged numbers after the round so we can try to play again. It was a good day!

Well we will be playing Southern Oaks on Saturday, hopefully we don't run into the same foursome, the again I have a couple of lineman playing.. 😉 Looking forward to playing there again, last time it was 2018.

• Like 5

Driver:  TourEdge Exotic Pro 9.5 with  NIPPO N.S. Regio Formula MB+ 65 Stiff
3 -Wood: TourEdge Exotic C721 13.5 with Hrdz RDX Blue Stiff
4-Hybrid: Cobra King F9 Hybrid
Irons: Mizuno MP-18 MMC - 5-PW , w/SteelFiber i125
WedgesCleveland RTX 4 RAW - 52 ,56, 60
Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab Seven S, 34in
BallsTaylorMade Tour Response, TaylorMade TPx  & Snell MTB-X-
GPS:  :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

TESTED: NIPPO N.S. Regio Formula MB+ 65 Stiff.
TESTED: SkyCaddie LX5 GPS Watch

30 minutes ago, MrBandit said:

Well we will be playing Southern Oaks on Saturday, hopefully we don't run into the same foursome, the again I have a couple of lineman playing.. 😉 Looking forward to playing there again, last time it was 2018.

The course is in good shape, and they finally removed the COVID noodles from the cup so you can pull the pin out. You guys will have a great time!

• Like 3

Driver: Mizuno ST190 9.5* Aldila RIP Alpha 60 S
Fairway Wood: Mizuno ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hyrbrid: Mizuno CLK 19* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: Bridgestone J40 CB (4-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: Bridgestone Tour B XW-1 50*, 54*, & 58* Nippon Modus 3 105
Putter: Cleveland Huntington Beach SOFT Premier 4 34"
Ball: Snell MTB-X
Bag: 2017 Titleist Players 5 Stand Bag

On 10/6/2021 at 10:20 AM, Rickp said:

Last Charity Scramble I played in was 11 years ago.  $1,800 for Team, expensive for that time.  It was straight competition with handicap. There were no extra “Goodies” that would affect the score.  Because there were no Goodies the pace of play was OK.  

There was betting such as closest to the hole, long drive, Team gross & Net that were handled separately.

Great BBQ dinner afterwards!

It was $5,000.00 for my four man team entry fee. Other than to play we got a sign on a hole.  I know my company pays it but then you get hit up for something every few holes. They did raise $500,000.00 for the charities which is great.  But it would be nice if they just let you play the course with maybe a 1 mulligan per person. I don't even want to tell you how much it costs if you wanted to play golf with an executive of the sponsoring company. It's more than some people make in a year! 

• Like 5

:ping-small: Driver, G400 11* SR Flex

:taylormade-small: 3 Wood, SLDR  HL 17*  R Flex

:taylormade-small: 5 Wood, SLDR 19* R Flex

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, F6 22.5* R Flex

:Sub70: 939x 5 hybrid

:Sub70: Irons, 699 Pro's S Flex (6 - AW)

:Sub70:  JB Wedge 56*

:cleveland-small: Wedge, CBX 60*

:odyssey-small: Putter, Marksman Fang 35"

7 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

It was $5,000.00 for my four man team entry fee. Other than to play we got a sign on a hole.  I know my company pays it but then you get hit up for something every few holes. They did raise $500,000.00 for the charities which is great.  But it would be nice if they just let you play the course with maybe a 1 mulligan per person. I don't even want to tell you how much it costs if you wanted to play golf with an executive of the sponsoring company. It's more than some people make in a year! 

O Ya, forgot about the signs & Flags.  For extra bucks we got a sign and 1st 18 Teams forking over I think $500 got a hike Flag with company name embroidered.  Since the last one I went to was just 4 separate guys we passed on the Flag.

Somewhere buried in the garage is a few Flags with company name or SWMBO may have “lost” them😜

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Rick

Left Hand, 

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

Played in the annual “Play for Pink” tournament that supports DCH Hospital’s Brest cancer foundation at Indian Hills Country Club in Tuscaloosa today. Really fun scrabble tournament for a great cause at a really fun course.  They are a customer of mine so work payed for my team. 

Shot -16 under on the day, highlighted by a wedge from about 60 yards that was 3 inches from going in and a 25 foot putt for birdie on the fringe that I sank first up to putt. We all contributed about evenly shots wise so that is always fun. 

466CFF13-501F-488A-8063-A4E9979AAB9F.jpeg

7FF8C948-F15D-4DDF-86B2-0BDD1576EDC4.jpeg

393B8171-468D-484F-BEF1-F0425CD29E2C.jpeg

• Like 9