How'd you play?

MmmmmmBuddy

Took the day off, as it may be the last really nice day of the year, mid 70s and sunny. Shot a 78 at home, swing felt great and putted well. 1 bird, 1 double. There's still a lot of golf left as is usually nice enough into early December now, but it'll be in the 50s & 60s the rest of the way.

The only question is, will this still be my home course next year.

• Like 8

Take Dead Aim

Played yesterday to get some stuff off of my mind. I ended up shooting an 84. Definitely my worst putting round of the year. Couldn't seem to get the pace right all day I had some good shots, and some absolutely terrible shots. Ended up with three penalty shots. Lets just say my head wasn't in it for the back nine. Always nice to get out and to exist with grass, the ball (s), and my sticks.

2/14 Fairways

10/18 GIR

37 Putts

4 Doubles

5 Bogeys

8 Pars

1 Birdie

38/46 -84

• Like 6
  • Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero 8° Accra FX2.0 250 M4
  • PXG 5 wood turned 4 wood hzrd black
  • PXG 3 Hybrid hzrd black
  • Taylormade 2019 P790's KBS Tour S 4-5
  • PXG 0211 ST 6-GW
  • Vokey 54/58° sm8 
  • Mizuno Mcraft 3

Played in my second tournament today.  Shot an 89(Net 88 for handicap purposes) which I'm actually quite pleased with for a several reasons.  First, I fought back to get it below 90 (Started the first three holes at +7).  Second, I responded to a potential round killing quad by reeling off five straight pars.  Third, I did it in a competition setting.   The other major positives were that my chipping game is starting to come together (I actually got up and down several times today) and that I'm starting to have real confidence in all aspects of my game. 

It was another day where I had everything I needed in my bag to get to the low 80s or better I just had a few bad breaks that I made a compounding mistake on the recovery shot. 

Here's the lowlights where I left many strokes on the table:

• I opened with a double because I didn't verify that I shot the pin with my rangefinder on approach.  I ended up long and in jail.  Chip out of jail, chip on, two putt.  
  • I had a quad on a par 3.  We were playing alternating tee for the par 3s and this one was from the tips -- played about 229 with a reedy swamp all along the right.  I blocked my first shot into the reeds and thought, well that's gone.  Re-teed and promptly blocked that one further right into no chance land.  Now I'm laying 4, hitting 5.  I changed to a club I'm more confident with and play my 5th shot to 30 yards short chip up and 1 putt for a crowd pleasing 7.  Here's the killer, though, the hazard is U-shaped.  It runs right up to and in front of the back tees then slopes rightward before changing directions and sloping leftward back toward the green.  As I'm walking up to my 3rd ball to hit my sixth shot I see a ball and immediately know, then confirm, that it's my first ball that had squirted through the reeds into the open area.  That was a hard lesson.  If I had just taken a few moments to walk to the other side of the reeds I would have been hitting my second from 175 and would probably have walked away with no worse than a bogie.  
  • The other big number triple I took a line over trees (A line that I always take and is pretty forgiving once you realize you can make the shot).  I virtually never have trouble with clearing the line, but this time I had the misfortune of hitting one of two palm trees that stick out above the treeline -- dead center.  It dropped straight down in a decent lie and I still had a shot to the green from about 210.  The only iffy part about it was that the ball was above my feet.  So I aimed a little further right, took the shot, and promptly sliced it to behind a tree.  Once chip out, one chip on(to the fringe), a bad lag from the fringe, and a lipped out six footer later I have another 7 on the card.  

Cleaning up those three holes + the other double each gets me to 82.  (Good enough in my flight for third place gross and first place net)

Other positives:

• Off the tee was pretty great.  Most of the misses were just off the fairway
  • Zero skulled pitches and chips all day.  I wasn't as close as I would have liked, but I was on with a reasonable make chance.
  • 8 Pars, including 5 straight after the quad
  • 29 Total Putts
  • No strokes given away on the par 5s.  Par on all of the Par 5's.
  • Almost hit for the cycle... if I could have found a birdie.  Most cards probably don't contain a birdie, par, bogie, double, triple, quad.  🙂

I feel like I'm right on the edge of breaking through if I can tie it all together.

519923229_10._14.21Front.jpg.3d6bf75b7ed9c536b907d0a85cbaafad.jpg

1895226482_10_14.21Back.jpg.bb86007d30c449c32d38042ef273388d.jpg

Edited by Syks7
  • Like 8

:taylormade-small:  Driver: 2016 M2 -- Fujikara ventus red S (non velocore) 

:taylormade-small: 3 Wood RBZ Stage 2 -  Diamana Blue Board 63 G35t

:taylormade-small: 2 Hybrid RBZ Stage 2 -- True Temper Elevate Tour Stiff

:taylormade-small: RSI2 - 4I 20°,5I 24°,6I 27°,7I 31°,8I 35°,9I 39°,PW 44°-- True Temper Elevate Tour 

:cleveland-small:Cleveland CBX2 48° & 54°-- TT Elevate Tour Stiff

:taylormade-small: Hi Toe 58° -- TT Elevate Tour Stiff

:bettinardi-small: Innovai 6.0 CTR

:srixon-small: Ball: Zstar XV

Haven't been able to play much lately.  Our 22 day motorhome trip from Oregon to Arkansas and back (mainly driving with a bit under a week staying still) sort of put a damper on that.  I did get in 27 holes while in Arkansas.  The purpose of the trip was to explore the feasibility of moving to Hot Springs Village in Arkansas.  Seeing as how we are in the process of buying a house there, looking like the feasibility has become reality.  Anyways, I'm back in Oregon now with the tentative  moving date of 1 December or earlier.  And that leaves a lot of things to get done.  We have decided to sell our motorhome (which is in progress) and we also need to get our house ready for MLS listing and sold.  Needless to say, I've got a lot of things to get done in short order of time.....which means that golf is on the back burner for awhile again.  I hope to be able to slip out a few more times to play, but I have tendered my resignation at the club effective 30 November.  So, it's goodbye Oregon and hello Arkansas in short order. 

• Like 9

Driver: :ping-small: G400 Max 9 degree set to +1, Aldila Extreme Green 55 gram R shaft 

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M4 3W (16.5*) 5W (21*) 7W (24*) -- stock R shafts.

Irons: :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW KBSTour Graphite  70g shafts R

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX2 52,56, 60 degree wedges

Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7S

Ball: :Snell: MTB-X

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

6 minutes ago, CarlH said:

Haven't been able to play much lately.  Our 22 day motorhome trip from Oregon to Arkansas and back (mainly driving with a bit under a week staying still) sort of put a damper on that.  I did get in 27 holes while in Arkansas.  The purpose of the trip was to explore the feasibility of moving to Hot Springs Village in Arkansas.  Seeing as how we are in the process of buying a house there, looking like the feasibility has become reality.  Anyways, I'm back in Oregon now with the tentative  moving date of 1 December or earlier.  And that leaves a lot of things to get done.  We have decided to sell our motorhome (which is in progress) and we also need to get our house ready for MLS listing and sold.  Needless to say, I've got a lot of things to get done in short order of time.....which means that golf is on the back burner for awhile again.  I hope to be able to slip out a few more times to play, but I have tendered my resignation at the club effective 30 November.  So, it's goodbye Oregon and hello Arkansas in short order. 

Sorry to have missed playing with you while here in the PNW.  Let us know about your new place when you get settled.

• Like 5

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Shot a 44 this morning over 9 holes at Touisset CC, parred the par 4 4th hole but doubled 9 after missing left, chipping completely over the green, then missing coming right back and thinning back to the original side of the green I was on. 

4/7 on fairways, 0 GIR so I was scrambling for sure. One 3 putt, and two single putt holes. Thankfully the fairways I missed with driver were all still playable, so I didn't lose any balls nor did I take any penalties.

• Like 6

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:wilson_staff_small:  D7 
:callaway-small:  GBB 3W (lofted to 4W)
:callaway-small: V-Series Heavenwood
:cobra-small: Baffler XL 5i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54*
:ping-small: iWedge 58*
:cleveland-small: #10
Whatever ball I have 3 dozen of that my kids got me as a gift

Twitter: @russtopherb

86 (44/42). Crap score, but I’m happy with how I struck my irons, and hit my driver, except on 2 holes. Wind was blowing 10-15 all round, so I lost a number of shots by not gauging the wind properly. The course we played today is MUCH more penal when one hits errant tee shots, and there are a lot of “placement” shots needed. I’m LOVING the Ping G425 LST fairway metal! I REALLY like the shaft and head combo. 
Anyway, the score wasn’t great, but the weather was perfect, so I’m happy with the day.

• Like 9

Driver: :cobra-small: King F9 Speedback/:callaway-small:Epic Max LS, Xphlexxx Busa 2 Liquid, XX stiff, 45”

Fwy:  :callaway-small: Epic Speed 4w, MMT 80X

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 105X

Irons: :honma:TR20 Tour P 4-10, :Nippon: Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

All but putter have Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Calibrate midsize built to oversize +1

Friday Bacon Boyz 9.   This is one of the longer Execs and of course a LOT of water.  
Started strong Pared first 5 holes then #6 & 7 elbow pain hit hard and bogied both so just putted 8 & 9. 
This knee & elbow pain getting old.  Waiting on insurance to approve knee replacement for 1st of the year.

• Like 9

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Titleist TSi2, Kuro Kage 50 gr R2

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous Vista Pro R2

Irons; Ping G710 6-GW, Recoil 460 R2

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Played my first round since August. Shot 90 with many two-chips, three putts, and general rust. Better for the round though.

• Like 7

:cobra-small:            Cobra F9 9.5° (Hzrdus Yellow X)

:srixon-small:                     H85 16° and 19° (Hzrdus Black 85 6.0)

:mizuno-small:                    MP20 MMC 4-PW (KBS $ Taper 120S)

:mizuno-small:                    T20 51°, 8° (KBS $ Taper 120S)

:mizuno-small:                    T20 55°, 9° (KBS $ Taper 120S)

:mizuno-small:                    T20 59°, 9° (KBS $ Taper 120S)

:scotty-small:                          Phantom X 5.5 34"

:srixon-small:                     ZStar XV

Son and I played with a couple friends in a scramble at Marengo Ridge yesterday.  This one was an eye opener.  We were not good.  Our buddy Mark bailed us out time and again, but the other three of us just couldn't get out of our own way.  There were a few instances where we had to take the best of four ugly chunks. 

When it became apparent that we wouldn't be doing any damage, the alcohol came out, which actually helped a bit, lol.  We finished tied for next-to-last with a +2 74.  Just couldn't get close enough on the green for decent birdie chances.  The two winning teams tied with a 58.

We didn't play great but we had a great time and are already looking forward to the next one!

• Like 5

Titleist 385k driver

Dunlop 3 and 5 wood

Nickent 3DX 3 hybrid

Cobra AMP 5-PW

Titleist Vokey SM7 50° 54°  and Cleveland 588 56° wedges

PIng Anser putter

4 hours ago, revkev said:

Had a buddies weekend to celebrate each of us turning 65 this year. Played great on Friday and shot 72 - best round of the year actually.

We played in a large charity scramble on Saturday - tons of fun - nice swag - we had a side bet with the pro at my buddies club - we needed to break 67 or make 7 birdies.

I hit a beautiful 5 wood on our first hole - a 190 yard par 3 to about 20 feet and bang first putter knocks it in. I hit a great drive to 100 out and a good wedge to 15 feet and boom second putter knocks it in. That was the last time that I was heard from for the next 9 holes - so frustrating - too much to drink the night before and they had some sort of booze give away on every other hole at this outing. But as a team we kept. 

Then as quickly as it left, I found it again, striped one down the middle on a par 5 and someone put it on the front edge - birdie to get to 6 under. Dogleg left around a pond and I flew some trees on the corner leaving us 70 in, wedge on, birdie. We used my drive on 6 of the last 7 holes. Shot a respectable 8 under after a lovely 6 hours on the course - went home and slept for three hours before the poker game….

That ended up with a double or nothing bet with the pro who played cards with us - our scramble team from the senior tees verses him from the men’s tees and he got to play two balls - but we got 3 call backs.  Match play

We closed him out on 15! 

Great weekend, good, bad and ugly golf, tons of fun. I’m up at 430 this morning because my body aches all over - I could use a recovery day but it’s back to work for me. 

The course we played the Saturday round on is one I haven’t played in a while. It really reminded me of how much distance you loose with age. They had everyone play from a set of tees shorter than I would normally have played from in former years. On most holes that meant we were driving it where I used to drive it from much farther back.

Oh well, at least I’m upright and can still play. 🙂

Sounds like a lot of fun!  Remember though, you are almost getting too old to have that much fun!!  Just wait another 10 years!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

While I have been able to get to the course to hit some pitch shots, I had not taken a full swing for a month before yesterday.  Hit a few on the range and it didn’t seem that bad.   Then I got in the course and it was terrible..  

8 FW, 2 GIR, 34 putts, 5 lost golf balls.  I didn’t add up the score until I was writing this and was surprised I broke 100;  ended up with a 97.  Overall,  it was a frustrating and mentally draining round.  I didn’t take the month break for any reasons other than I was out of town and rainy weather.  Part of me wants to get out,  practice and figure out what I need to do to improve and part of me is just done as I really didn’t miss playing that much.  Need to figure out a plan to work on my game and get myself back into gear.  

• Like 6
  • Sad 3

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :callaway-small: 54-10S   :cleveland-small: 588  58-12
Putter:  :seemore-small: mFGP2

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180, :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, Bellum Winmore 787

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

About five weeks ago, my hdcp reached 10, after having bounced between 7 and 8 for the last 7+ seasons.   Had several rather ugly rounds in the six weeks leading up to that. 

Since then, I've got eight rounds posted.  One 83, two 80s (amusingly, both this weekend), and everything else in the 70s, with a low of 77.  I feel a little better about this frustrating game.  LOL
(side note:  course par 71, rated 69.0/122 from tees I've been playing)

I'm still making mistakes that turn possible 76s into 79s, and all that fun, but it's better than the mid to upper 80s I'd shot entirely too often starting in August.

Also put my old set of Eye2+ in the bag, because I'm starting to hit the ball too low.  I'm not the satellite scraping player I was even just five years ago. 

Aging is not for the timid.

• Like 7

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 10*, Aldila NV75 X, 43.5" -or- SpeedZone, HZRDUS Black 75 6.5, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, RIP Beta 90, 42" -or- Stage 2 Tour, NV105 X, 42.5"
2h or 3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, Steelfiber 125 S; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; PM Grind 19 58*, stock shaft
Putter:  Mizuno TPM-2, 34"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, TM TP5