MmmmmmBuddy

How'd you play?

Kenny,

I really liked having a local 9 hole course for practice last year, but I'm not playing it this year since I thought I would be working part-time there and get free membership.  I'd already paid up for a different 18 hole course in another town when we went through a really dry spring (until recently - lol) and they didn't need the extra help.

I talked to the supervisor a few weeks ago and told him I felt guilty playing for free, but I'd already paid for a different membership and couldn't afford both.  He was OK with me playing, but that just doesn't seem fair, so even though it's more crowded, I just play as many practice rounds as I can at my new home course.

• Like 1

Was only able to play 9 during my "lunch" break. Shot a 39, which I was very happy with. Should have been a lot lower had I been able to knock down a GD putt. Had makeable birdie putts on the first 5 holes. Only holed 1 of them. My lone birdie I knocked a 255 yard 3 wood to within 10 feet and then 2 putted for birdie. Should have been a 36 if I didn't choke but a 39 ain't bad. 

• Like 1

Played in a scramble today. I had ordered an LD head that didn't arrive in time. So I reached out and got in touch with a local LD competitor and remax past finalist and borrowed one of his (he literally has about a hundred at his house if not more). Stopped by on my way to the course this morning and he went to flipping through them. He handed me a new 5.5 degree X2 Hot Pro LD at 5.5 degrees with his personal House of Forged shaft (his name was etched in it). He says this one isn't real stout you should do fine. Still had the WLDA stickers from inspection on it. That guy? Kevin "The Bull" Bullard. Now he said it's one of his weaker shafts. He's also not with HOF any more. Let's just say if you've never swung a pro LD guy's club and you think you swing an x flex, well, you're not gonna load one of their shafts. I've got a XX and a 3X pro force v2 LD shaft and I can load them. This one? The HOF ultra? Yeah, I couldn't load it. I hit 15 balls. 1 went straight to other wouldn't have hit a grid if you turned it sideways. Sprays. I couldn't square the face on it. Talk about feeling like rebar.

A vendor paid for it for me and I didn't get to pick my team. It was me an older guy and 2 girls high school grads. One of them was pretty good. We used a lot of her drives as they got between 70-100 yards on all the par 4's and 5's. She hit it around 225 and with the tee differences I had to murder one to get closer. We shot a bad -6 but that's cause no one could make a putt. I did run in 2 25 footers like nobody's business. But that's about it. Clean card though. 6 birdies and nothing else besides pars.

• Like 3

Played great until the wind started to kick up and blow at a constant 35 mph for the last 12 holes. Turned the front in -4 thanks to finally figuring out how to hit a fairway off the tee. The ninth hole is a 315 yard par 4 that I hit my 18* hybrid under the lip of the front green side bunker....did I mention the wind????

Made birdie on 10 and then played the last 8 at +6 to finish at 73. The wind was out of the north which is something I have only played in once or twice there in four plus years and just makes the course brutal on the way in.

• Like 2

83, nothing bad, nothing great. 8 pars, 9 bogeys, 1 double. I did have a pretty ridiculous bogey on the par 3, 13th hole, played 137 today, flag about 4 paces from the front, so an easy 9 puts me just past the flag, but I pulled the tee ball to the right, hooked it straight into the bunker, no problem, it's a fairly easy bunker shot, normally, but the course thinks that if the sand isn't deep and fluffy then it's not a bunker, the ball landed about 6 inches from a 2 foot high lip on the left side of the bunker, and plugged right there. I had 2 options, hit it to the right, which plays 15 yards right of the green, or just hit it to the other side of the bunker, and then try get up and down from there, I chose to hit it out of the bunker 15 yards right, which also put me on a side hill down hill lie to a green that runs away, I hit a good chip, left 12 feet and made the putt. When I first got to the ball in the bunker, I thought just put the 5 on the card, it was that bad. That was pretty much the hilight of my round.

• Like 1

4 over on the front and six over on the back.  Despite my best effort I didn't manage to stay focussed for the entire round,  Hit some great shots though including a 230 yard 3rd shot to the 16th a par 5 and a great 80 yard hop and stop on 18 and then slotted the putt for a great par to finish the round on.  I've got the Callaway Apex's for a couple of more days so I'm happy about that too.

• Like 2

A majority of decent shots, but my bad ones really stink...  10 over on the front and 7 over on the back for the day.  

I'll just have to keep at it until I get it right ;)

• Like 1

Shot 74 yesterday with some of the best ball striking of my year. Had 2 awful tee shots. One OB, one water that killed me. Couldn't make a putt to save my life.

Shot 72 today sprayed it around on the front to shoot 39 and then brought it home with same flare to shoot 33. Had one double bogey on the back because I thinned a wedge from 100 out that went OB. Just a pathetic swing. Embarrassing. Overall it was a decent day. 2 double bogeys, 3 bogeys, 7 pars, 5 birdies and an eagle. Putted ok today, no 3 putts.

• Like 2

I liked Troon North, but that was a lot of years ago. There weren't too many houses there then. I expect there are plenty now.

If you want to try a nice course that is not very expensive, give Vistal GC on South Mountain a try. It's one of my favorites, the people that work there are very friendly, and the price is a lot cheaper than Troon. I've had some good rounds there.

Will do.

Took a week off to go on vacation with my parents and sister in Hilton Head Island. Our place had a deal with two courses and I managed to play a third also. Problem was every course or so it seemed was areating. I mean every one. Most of the greens were bumpy but overall I had a fun time.

We played at in order:  Golden Bear (I'd skip it). Hilton head CC (nice course.. would love to see it when not punched)  and Palmetto Dunes- Jones course -( loved it)

The first round was meh a low 90's affair. The greens stunk and just felt like the course wasn't taken care of. Hilton Head GC I shot an 86 that was pretty much a solid round including 3 over on the back. Palmetto Dunes was tough but fair. I birdied his par 5 overlooking the water and a few holes I played well, but on the other end I struggled mightily on the back on the way to a 93 including a double triple finish.

Overall I played ok the last two weeks, with two good rounds and two meh rounds.

• Like 1

I am the 3 putt king, I can do anything - Jim Morrison from a song he was writing on my golf.  God I sucked at putting today.  Hit so many greens in reg and three putted them all aaaaarrrrrrgggghhh!  At least I am hitting greens and my irons again.  Hit the range for a punishment bucket and hit pure shot after pure shot.  Went and poked around the pro shop and found a putter I liked and had a putt with it for an hour.  Liked it so much I decided to reward my good range play and bought it.  Probably will hate it after the game tomorrow,  that's golf.

• Like 1

My wife and I traveled up the valley to a course that we play a couple of times a year.  We were invited by another couple that we play with occasionally.  I think I mentioned sometime ago that I really don't like playing with them, but we do it anyway.  The guy thinks every shot should be perfect, but he is a 14 and guess what... they're not!  He then turns into Mr. Negative.  Well, he doubled the first 4 holes, so we are off to a great start!  It always affects my game when he gets this way.  The gal is OK until she has a few beers, then she gets bitchy.  

I shot 41 on the front with a triple bogey (amazing what one little sh*nk will do to your score; and a 44 on the back with 2 doubles.  (The bitching got worse as the beers kept flowing.)  However, it was the first round that I really tried out the Sonartec 3W and 7W.  They are working great!!  My wife borrowed the 3W for some long second shots and poked a few out longer that she could with her RBZ Stage 2.  I might have to keep and eye out for one for her.

• Like 1

Played my first round with my reshafted Mizunos today and what a difference having the right shaft in them makes.  The ball actually goes where you aim to hit it and that causes all sorts of problems when that hasn't been happening at all.  I hit some fantastic shots the best being a towering seven iron to 3 ft on a par three and I promptly missed the birdie too.  By way of a confession I was falling out of love with my Mizzies all because of the shaft issue and getting them reshafted was the last ditch attempt at reconciliation.  There's still some work to be done adjusting especially after having the Cally Apex irons in my bag for nearly a week.  They are such good irons that anything feels a bit flat in comparison.  The faces are so hot and lively that every shot is a crisp amazing experience.  Having said that the Mizuno buttery soft feel is also a sensual experience.  Didn't score that great but once again there is light at the end of the tunnel and hopefully my index will start making its way back down from the northwards climb that has been happening.  It will hit 9.1 after todays card goes in and that is after getting down to 4.5 which was an all time low.  And that my Golfspy friends is all the result of having poorly fitted clubs in the bag and trying to convince yourself that all will be ok :(

• Like 1

Yep, the right fit makes a big difference!

Realized a few days ago, my newly shafted irons were 2 degrees upright from what I was playing last year after struggling.  Got the fitting after hitting off my mat over the winter and suspect I was adjusting to protect my wrists and forearms.  Once I started playing on real turf and adjusted to taking divots, my posture changed.

Took my MP-30s to the course and played my two best rounds this season, so I got my Alpha irons adjusted to match yesterday and heading to the range today.

I'm replacing my hitting mat with a Real Feel mat this Fall...

82 (again) on the weekend. My local courses' greens are pathetic this year. The season started late so they fell behind. Very difficult to putt on greens that have been aerified 3 times since the season started. Holes and sand everywhere. If you don't stick your shot within a couple of feet don't bother putting at all. 40 for a front 9 yesterday. hit 6/7 fairways (2 holes were par 3's) and hit 6/9 greens. Again, no chance to putt with greens as they are.

• Like 1

Well, I tweaked my back; which means I still has a muscle there!  I tried to play yesterday after work and I could barely bend over to pick up a ball.  Looks like I will just have to watch golf all day long this weekend.  Darn!

82 (again) on the weekend. My local courses' greens are pathetic this year. The season started late so they fell behind. Very difficult to putt on greens that have been aerified 3 times since the season started. Holes and sand everywhere. If you don't stick your shot within a couple of feet don't bother putting at all. 40 for a front 9 yesterday. hit 6/7 fairways (2 holes were par 3's) and hit 6/9 greens. Again, no chance to putt with greens as they are.

None of the courses I've played are in very good shape, because of the weather.  Some worse than others, but none are in great shape.

• Like 1

Well, I tweaked my back; which means I still has a muscle there!  I tried to play yesterday after work and I could barely bend over to pick up a ball.  Looks like I will just have to watch golf all day long this weekend.  Darn!

Maybe there will be a good tournament to watch! ;)

It's fun rekindling a love affair.  My Mizunos are back ;)  The new shafts are sensational and I'm hitting the ball and getting that good old Mizuno "melts in your mouth" type sensation at impact and I'm a good 10 yards longer with them.  I set up on our 11th hole today and it measured 136 yards and that was about how far I had been hitting my 8 iron so that's what I selected and promptly air mailed the green.  Did that a couple of times including a pitching wedge on 9 a par 5 that I carried 125 yards and failed to get up and down but my putting is another issue that is terminal at the moment but improving.  It feels like I'm so close to playing well.  I was off 10 today, a handicap I haven't been off ever since I joined the club and had a shot on the first hole which was stroke index 10. I was so excited I could taste it.  I hit a great 3 wood and then went chunk, chunk, chunk and two putted for a double.  Tasted it alright and it tasted like poo :lol:  It is going to be embarrassing when I finally get everything firing on all cylinders :)

• Like 5

I shot a 48/44=92 today, but would have been an 82 if I could putt today.......they rep inched the greens the week we went to Kissimmee and they are still so bumpy that you can't make a three footer without a lot of luck. My drives were straight down the middle. My bio cell irons were terrific. I hit my 125 yd 8 iron three times today with two of them so soft that I couldn't feel the ball off the face.....buttery smooth. Will try again tomorrow. Fathers Day round followed by lunch at the club with my wife, daughter & granddaughters.

• Like 2