TESTERS WANTED! ×

Nike One Tour D

revkev

According to the Golf Channel that's what Tiger was playing today. I hope that was true and that Nike decides to reproduce this ball because it's the ball I've been playing for three years. I have about three dozen left - more than enough to get through this season but am facing a change sometime next year - I'd love to just stick with what's working.

I hope Tiger keeps winning for this selfish reason.

Oh and so much for the revolution in balls and how rubber is obsolete - these guys kill me with their commercials - almost as bad as the politicians. How long until the election? I hate living in a swing state.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I probably should know this for playing as long and as often as I have, though I don't really pay attention...My question is while often(most of the time), the pros' clubs are different from the retail versions, are the balls the same?....

I've never played a Nike ball(Bridgestone & Titleist) and am curious JB, why don't you like the Nike balls, at least the new ones...

Thanx....

Fairways & Greens 4ever......

They feel like rocks and I don't get any spin from them with the short irons. I didn't really try the Nike One balls, because I could still get the Tour Accuracy for very cheap (I bought 6 dozen of them at the Nike outlet in Nashville for $20/dozen). After those were gone, I played the Ignite, but only in scrambles; they were crazy long, but had little spin.

At your handicap you need to be playing a tour ball JBones - you just do plain and simple. If your budget is like mine you just look for last year's model that fits your game and then buy a bunch - I've been able to get the Nike One Tour D for under $30 a dozen the past two and a half years so I've gone with that but I've also grown quite partial to it during that time.

If I have to change I'm leaning Penta 3 - I actually get the same distance out of both and at least the same if not more spin on the Penta 3 - it's probably a better ball for me but you get attached after a while - you know what I mean?

Pros do have access to prototypes but they typically play what we play - Titleist players play Pro VI or Pro VIx. Taylor Made players play some version of the Penta. Nike Players used to all play the Nike One Tour or Tour D of the TW (Platinum). I think it's significant that Tiger switched away from his play to the Tour D - I love that ball - it's what most of their players used until they came out with this new series - I found the corresponding one to the One Tour D and played with it a bit but didn't fancy it.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I also thought the Nike One balls felt very hard with the irons and didn't spin as much. Haven't tried the new Nike balls though. I found one and put it in the water before getting a chance to form an opinion.

We were talking about this here quite a while ago and someone posted a list of all the PGA approved ball designs. From that list it was obvious that some of the bigger PGA Tour stars have their own ball not available to the public. So while many probably do play the same balls we get, many also do not.

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

At your handicap you need to be playing a tour ball JBones - you just do plain and simple.

I do, I play the Callaway HEX Chrome, which is comparable to the Bridgestone B330-RX. They aren't as soft as the RX, which I love, because the RX is a little too soft for me. I tested the Chrome against the Black Tour and I found no difference at all, so I chose the Chrome, because it comes in yellow.

We're going to Nashville for my wifes 30th birthday next month and I'll go to the Nike outlet and see what ball they have on clearance.

Feel is such a funny thing - to me the RX series hasn't fared well. I do recall that I found the Nike One Tour D a bit on the hard side when I first started using it - I was playing the Taylor Made TP Red and before that some sort of version of the Pro VI (had a sugar daddy who kept me in those when I lived in Wisconsin).

Hole a few putts, chip in a time or 2 and it's funny how the ball starts to feel really, really good. B)

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I've been using the Nike 20XI-X for the entire season now and have found no issues with it. The lighter RZN core is less dense and there which provides more perimeter weighting for the ball. All the things they've said about the ball are true - definitely better in crosswinds, steeper spin slope, and spins longer later.

What people haven't gotten yet is that acoustically its a different sounding ball. Its not mush (the 20XI-S is) and off the concept putter face its definitely a brighter sound. The fact that tiger doesnt play it means very little to why you should or should not play it. Numerous wins worldwide have occurred with this ball meaning only that it is a Tour caliber ball and that it has some great technology. also why wouldnt tiger continue playing a ball that was built strictly for him like the Tour D? he's changed so much caddy/coach/life etc, at least he can be sure that there is one constant thing in his world.

on a side note, the 20XI*X (note the star) is the best of both worlds X and S, mushier cover and still low spin (no plans to release)

on a secondary side note - go peruse the usga.org's website on the conforming golf balls list - you'll see 20+ flavors of tour balls with slightly different markings that all have different characteristics designed for tour players.

type in 20xi or prov1 and you'll get all sorts of variations of *&+-~ boxes squares triangles diamonds etc etc

http://www.usga.org/ConformingGolfBall/conforming_golf_ball.asp

:cobra-small: Staffer 

:Arccos: Staffer 

www.MANAVIANGolf.com

@ manvans Thanks - when you're in Florida next winter look me up - I'm in St Pete.

I guess you've missed my point a bit - The Nike One Tour D wasn't built for Tiger - it was one of their two "stock" tour balls prior to the 20ix series - He switched from his ball to it and I'm hopeful that Nike will reproduce it because I like it. I started playing it because my custom over the past five or six years has been to find a tour level ball that I like that is sold on sale because it's being replaced. I didn't love it when I first starting using it but it worked. Since then I've grown fond of it - some tournament wins, some nice rounds, some nice skins - it adds up. I don't really want to part company with this ball but will when the time comes and am sure there is a suitable partner out there for me at the price I want to pay.

I've tried the two new Nike Tour offerings - they're perfectly good balls but their price point is up in the mid 40's. Right now I'm liking the Taylor Made Penta 3 as my next ball - it's price point is in the mid 30's. I generally go through 3 dozen balls in a season - I order 4 dozen personalized ones right after Christmas and normally have a dozen left over at the end of the year. (Actually I have more than that but lots are used and go to the shag bag for practice.)

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I generally go through 3 dozen balls in a season - I order 4 dozen personalized ones right after Christmas and normally have a dozen left over at the end of the year. (Actually I have more than that but lots are used and go to the shag bag for practice.)

I should make it by on 3 dozen a season, but I don't. My wife always asks "why do you need to buy balls all the time, if you're "so good"?". I don't tell her that I hit them into the field behind the house as soon as they get one scuff on them or just hit them out there when I feel like hitting balls. I just hit three Bridgestone RX and two very slightly used Pro Vs into the field; she would kill me if she knew I just hit about $18 worth of balls into the field. Anyway, to the point, I also buy balls that are on sale or a model old, because of what I mentioned above.

This is still my favorite ball that Nike has ever done.

The straight up one Tour was too spinny. Disturbingly so really. Super, super control but was pretty cack for distance even for a spin ball. The One Tour D dialed it back nicely. Still lots of control, but back to the distance I expect with a nice feel.

With the XI line, I'm having a hard time getting a grip on them. I'm not sure if they've altered the spin slope to far actually and that's the issue but I get some weird numbers with them that I don't see from other balls. Alternatively the feel also throws me off. It either feels like mush off softer strokes or feels quite hard on stronger strokes.

I'm not prepaired to call it a bad ball nor a great one yet. It's just quite different and I suspect so much so that I and a great many others are having issues getting to grips with it.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

@ manvans Thanks - when you're in Florida next winter look me up - I'm in St Pete.

I guess you've missed my point a bit - The Nike One Tour D wasn't built for Tiger - it was one of their two "stock" tour balls prior to the 20ix series - He switched from his ball to it and I'm hopeful that Nike will reproduce it because I like it. I started playing it because my custom over the past five or six years has been to find a tour level ball that I like that is sold on sale because it's being replaced. I didn't love it when I first starting using it but it worked. Since then I've grown fond of it - some tournament wins, some nice rounds, some nice skins - it adds up. I don't really want to part company with this ball but will when the time comes and am sure there is a suitable partner out there for me at the price I want to pay.

I've tried the two new Nike Tour offerings - they're perfectly good balls but their price point is up in the mid 40's. Right now I'm liking the Taylor Made Penta 3 as my next ball - it's price point is in the mid 30's. I generally go through 3 dozen balls in a season - I order 4 dozen personalized ones right after Christmas and normally have a dozen left over at the end of the year. (Actually I have more than that but lots are used and go to the shag bag for practice.)

Thanks for the offer revkev-

i wasnt really responding to you per say as much as i wanted to just add some insight to the 20XI line. Also to inform you, the pricepoint of the 20XI has been lowered to 29.99/doz as of a few weeks ago. Quite the bargain for the ball we were selling well at $54/doz.

To keep your hope alive here is what full Nike staffers used at the 2012 Masters -

Casey, Paul One Tour

Chappell, Kevin 20XI S

Cink, Stewart One Tour D

Dyson, Simon 20XI X

Fisher, Ross 20XI S

Glover, Lucas One Tour D

Molinari, Francesco 20XI X

Schwartzel, Charl One Tour D

Woods, Tiger One Tour D

:cobra-small: Staffer 

:Arccos: Staffer 

www.MANAVIANGolf.com

Oh thanks for the heads up on that - I missed it - at 29.99 I could become an IX fan in a hurry -

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Archived