TESTERS WANTED! ×

"Tiger Stepping" KBS C-Tapers

• SPY VIP

So I've been trying a wedge-specific shaft in my 56° and 59°/60° for a month or so now, and I'm not really loving it. Anecdotally I haven't noticed any additional spin over anything else I've ever used, and the feel apart from being a little strange, just doesn't match up with the rest of my set.

After reading posts here and elsewhere I've decided to try "Tiger Stepping" my wedges with the hope that I'll pick up (or at least not lose any spin), while retaining the same (or very similar) feel to the rest of my set. My understanding of things is that the "normal" way to proceed would be to install an 8-iron shaft, one flex stiffer.

The issue is that I currently play KBS C-Tapers in S+ flex. Since KBS doesn't offer X+ in a C-Taper, and the 9 and PW shafts are one in the same, I'm a little confused on what the right way to do this is.

For what it's worth, I'm about 50/50 with my sandwedge on full vs. half, 3/4, chips, and other awkward distance. With my 59°, I probably only hit it full 25%-30% of the time.

Does anyone have any insight?

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

Go up to X flex in an 8 iron and you'll be right. You're softstepping them once when installing the 8 iron shaft into the wedge.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

This is exactly what I'm planning to do with my wedges, put in KBS Tour X 8 iron shafts (black steel so they look different from my irons). If you do it T, would love to hear what you think. I got this advice from RB7 a while back and it'll be probably a year before I do anything with my clubs.

I Play C-Taper X-Stiff in my irons, my builder tipped the PW shaft 1/4" to make it play a little firmer like you said 9 iron shaft in a heavier head of the PW. The wedges this time around I went with KBS Tour Wedge X-Stiff straight in, they hold up well under a full swing but work magic on 3/4 and 1/2 swings. I can tell that the tip of the KBS Tour Wedge is a touch more active then a DG x100 that I had previously.

As RB7 said you can use a 8 iron shaft into the wedges which will get the tip a tough more active, old "spinner" wedge trick before the spinner / hi-rev shafts were around. I tried it with a DG x100 in some old Vokey wedges it worked a little too well on non conforming grooves lots of balloons.

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

• 7 months later...

Figured I would revive this thread rather than starting a new one.

I'm going to build my new irons soon, and decided the gap between 46° PW and 52° GW was too big. So I picked up an Adams CMB 50° GW to match my irons. The shafts going into my set will be C-Tapers in S+. I'm trying to decide if i should put a regular PW S+ shaft into the gap wedge, or go with an X-flex 8i shaft.

Would there be a huge difference in spin and ball flight between these two options?

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Figured I would revive this thread rather than starting a new one.

I'm going to build my new irons soon, and decided the gap between 46° PW and 52° GW was too big. So I picked up an Adams CMB 50° GW to match my irons. The shafts going into my set will be C-Tapers in S+. I'm trying to decide if i should put a regular PW S+ shaft into the gap wedge, or go with an X-flex 8i shaft.

Would there be a huge difference in spin and ball flight between these two options?

From what I've read, SCOR Tiger steps their shafts. I did this with my last set of wedges too and the spin does seem to go up, but it's not a difference of night and day.

• 4 years later...

Anyone had any success with the C-Tapers in their wedges?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I play them in my wedges

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

I play C-Tapers in S+ straight in all the way through my irons and wedges.  6-9 speedblades and 45, 50, 54, 58 Scor's.

I tend to be a high spin player so my previous experiments there was really no need to tiger step any shafts for my wedges.

I like it because the feel and weighting is all the same throughout the set.  Ball flight is similar to all of my irons as well.  I'm a high ball flight guy the ctapers help to control that a little bit.

I'll say that if you need help adding spin to wedge shots there are probably better options, but for me they work great.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I've decided to try "Tiger Stepping" my wedges with the hope that I'll pick up (or at least not lose any spin), while retaining the same (or very similar) feel to the rest of my set. My understanding of things is that the "normal" way to proceed would be to install an 8-iron shaft, one flex stiffer.

Tiger was playing X-100 in his irons and S-400 in his wedges that were softstepped.  So if you want that same with CTaper and you are playing S+, try S flex 8 iron shafts.  

The thought is a softer shaft will allow better touch and more spin.  But the consequence is balloon-city when you try to hit a full shot.  If you never hit full shots with your wedges, give it a go.  I found that I prefer the same flex as my irons in my wedges because I hit a lot of full/hard shots and that gives me the spin I am looking for.  It also gives me consistency from irons to wedges without having to adjust my swing and add more variables.  

I'd try your highest lofted wedge first, as that if the least likely that you will hit full shots with.  

Tour Issue Callaway GBB Epic Sub Zero 9° / Graphite Design P9003 TX  OR  Tour Issue Taylormade M1 430 9.5° / Graphite Design P9003 TX                        

Tour Issue Callaway XHot 3 Deep 13° / Graphite Design DI-10 TX                    Tour Issue Callaway XHot 3 Deep 13° / Project X T1100 95g 6.5

Tour Issue Titleist 915Hd 17.5° / Graphite Design DI-105 X                                Tour Issue Callaway BB Alpha 815 18° / Graphite Design DI-105 X

Scratch AR-1 v2 3-PW / Tour Issue Dynamic Gold X7                                        Raw Bridgestone J15CB 3-PW / Tour Issue Dynamic Gold X7

Scratch FIT 54°DS and 60°DS / Tour Issue Dynamic Gold X7                            Bettinardi H2 Forged 54° and 60° / Tour Issue Dynamic Gold X7        

Rotating 8802 style putters

Archived