L.A.B. DF3 Putters - 2024 Forum Review

Message added by MGS-Forum-Mod,

Follow our testers main posts via the links below!

@jbern - Main Post 

@MattWillGolf - Main Post 

@CFreddie - Main Post 

@Cfhandyman - Main Post 

@GolfSpy MPR - Main Post 

@Steve F - Main Post

20 minutes ago, CFreddie said:

Love it @MattWillGolf - digging the alignment choice! And good news, I’ve already got a name for it!

image.png.cbfbf4c13516323ad669182ea5fba3d0.png

Then there is this. 😂😂

IMG_0704.jpeg.8d01a6f68af8e285bc601216f6f7ea6f.jpeg

image.png.ec65754993cb81a3d0a7d15c70ab8fd1.png  Anyday Maverick Black Ops 7-way

:PXG: 0311 Black Ops 8° w/Mitsubishi Diamana S+ 60

:PXG: 0311 XF 3 wood 16° w/Fujikura Motore X F3

:PXG:0211 Hybrid 3 19° w/Project X Even Flow Riptide

:ping-small: G410 Crossover 4 w/Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Blue 70

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym X 6 - GW w/True Temper Elevate MPH Official Forum Test

:vokey-small: SM9 54°/12° D and 58°/12° D w/KBS Tour 110

image.png.0f5b009ff3d83fdae5e2e361f9676226.png DF3 w/BGT Stability ONE Forum Test

Shot Scope Pro LX+ Pro LX+ Official Forum Test

:titleist-small: Pro V1 

:Clicgear: 3.5+

Tests No Longer in the Bag

:EVNROLL: ER11v 34”  Evnroll ER11v Official Forum Test

13 minutes ago, CFreddie said:

- Alignment: Since I put RH but I'm left eye dominant, I'm curious if he has feedback on alignment aides.  For me, I believe my eye prefers simpler, so I'm curious if they think a simple dot (or three) would be best for me.  

I'd expand on this to: with 30+ alignment options is there a science behind selecting or are they just a bunch of options that people can pick what they like?  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   more-golf-logo.png Render w/VA Composites Baddazz 

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

4 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I'd expand on this to: with 30+ alignment options is there a science behind selecting or are they just a bunch of options that people can pick what they like?  

Great addition @cnosil!

Driver: image.png.ca83f4e6716da9276cf90826f633daca.png Paradym with Ventus TR Blue 60 Stiff

Fairways:  image.png.c4f821ba6925e5e146c31600685bf103.png Aerojet Max 3W & 7W with Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 70 Stiff

Hybrid:  image.png.c21137d282a252fb544e47aceb520176.png King TEC 5H with KBS PGI 95 Stiff

Irons:  image.png.6621a18e06b1717c1f774c4a561fd7d8.png Forged TEC 5-PW with KBS Tour Lite Stiff

Wedges:  images (1).pngHaywood Signature Raw Wedges (50 / 54 / 58)

Putter:   download.png.d49e715a77153bd649b58a0d4e33fab5.pngL.A.B. DF3 (aka "Chewie")

Ball: 2023 Maxfli Tour

Reviews: 

L.A.B. DF3

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Testing

Callaway Paradym

Titleist White Box Testing (2023)

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

58 minutes ago, CFreddie said:

image.png.cbfbf4c13516323ad669182ea5fba3d0.png

Great head cover.  Team DF3 putter covers?

39 minutes ago, CFreddie said:

Some good news - Calvin got back to me this afternoon and confirmed my measurements (35" / 68 degrees) so I'm ready to build my putter!

Some even better news - he's also game to hop on a call and discuss my options live, so please send over any questions you'd want to have answered from him (note - I'm sticking to fitting & DF3-specific questions) and I can ask on our call.  I'll plan to share back to this group once we are done!  Here is what I have so far:

- Measurements: anything stand-out from my putting video, as it relates to putter length / lie angle?  (note: I've never been fitted for a putter, so unsure if length is too much / too little since I'm pretty tall at 6'4")

- Configuration: Preference is to go with standard putter configuration, but interested in learning more about counterbalanced.  How does CB work and what is the impact of not having a press grip (from @braehead)?

- Headweight: I prefer a heavier mallet-style putter, and my limited hits on a DF3 in store was that the head felt a bit light (but was the stock shaft) - any feedback on head weight?  Thinking of going heavy for mine.

- Shaft: Can you please walk me through the shaft options - from stock to TPT - and what stands out for each type?  Is there a certain type of "feel" that a user would want and gravitate towards? 

- Grips: I prefer the feel of the pistol, but wanted his feedback on any other grips that could stand-out (candidly, since the pistol is 2 degrees tilt, the angle was a bit jarring at first)

- Alignment: Since I put RH but I'm left eye dominant, I'm curious if he has feedback on alignment aides.  For me, I believe my eye prefers simpler, so I'm curious if they think a simple dot (or three) would be best for me.  

Thanks everyone!

That’s great news. I asked the fitters about using other (non L.A.B) grips. I was told it was possible, but you would need to send the putter grip to them so they could install and balance properly. They wouldn't recommend switching the grip on your own after you get a putter from them because that could definitely throw off the balance. 
Also, I’m 6’2” and most of my putters have been 35”

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2 plus, LA golf DJ shaft, 55S

3 wood - TM Stealth plus, Mitsubishi Kai’li. Blue, 5 wood - TM Stealth plus,  Hzrdus red, 3 hybrid Mizuno CLK, Fuji pro

Irons (5-PW) - Mizuno 921 HMP, Accra IS 80

Wedges, TM MG4 SB 48*/09*, HB 54*/13*, TW 60*/11*, Accra ICWT 95 M4

Putter: L.A.B. DF3, TPT shaft, pistol grip

Bag: Vessel Cobra tour stand bag

Balls: Titleist ProV1x, Callaway Chrome soft X LS, Bridgestone Tour B XS or Srixon Z star Diamond

Tech: Arccos, Bushnell Pro XE rangefinder image.jpeg.6421bf4c3e32ba5a27f4fe57d0571222.jpeg

Nice little review on putter alignment aids from Ping. Basically, they found that their research indicates when a player perceives they can line up their putter easily, they usually have better performance. 
https://ping.com/en-us/blogs/proving-grounds/putter-alignment

3 wood - TM Stealth plus, Mitsubishi Kai’li. Blue, 5 wood - TM Stealth plus,  Hzrdus red, 3 hybrid Mizuno CLK, Fuji pro

Balls: Titleist ProV1x, Callaway Chrome soft X LS, Bridgestone Tour B XS or Srixon Z star Diamond

Tech: Arccos, Bushnell Pro XE rangefinder image.jpeg.6421bf4c3e32ba5a27f4fe57d0571222.jpeg

1 hour ago, TSauer said:

Goldfish.png.c681c20e7cee14ddcd37ef63fe1c896e.png

(Golf clap) Bravo @TSauer - take a bow

Also - Pepperidge Farm _does not_ remember this.

PXG___0811 X 9* - Mitsubishi Diamana s60 Limited X
Cobra___S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
Adams___XTD Forged 3i - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
Adams___CMB 4-PW - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
KZG___Tri-Tour 50.08__54.10__58.12 - Accra iCWT 2.0-95i S
Nike___Method Converge B1-01 (copper insert)
Maxfli___'23 Tour X
"The most important shot in golf is the next one“

14 hours ago, MattWillGolf said:

My Fitting Experience

To get fit for my putter I used the Remote Fitting option provided on L.A.B. Golf's website. We were instructed to shoot a short video of our putting stroke while wearing golf shoes. The video needs to be shot with the putter head in line with a vertical object such as a wall edge or door jam in the background. The video should be shot at about a 2 foot height and your whole body needs to be visible. You must also provide the length of the putter used in the video as measured from the center of the putter face to end of the putter grip. In my case my putter was 34". In the past you would then email your video to L.A.B. Golf and they would review the video and provide a fitting recommendation. In my case my fitter recommended a putter length of 34.5" with a lie angle of 68° which is 1° flatter than their standard lie.

My Movie-1080p30.mov 7.22 MB · 5 downloads  

Following those recommendations, I had some follow up questions for my fitter. I currently use an Evnroll ER11v which has a head weight of 365 grams. I am comfortable with that head weight. My fitter indicated that their putters are on the lighter side and if I was comfortable with that weight then I should select the Heavier head weight option which for my build adds 15 grams of weight to the head. When it came to shaft selection, I did some research on the L.A.B. Golf website and it was clear to me that there was greater stability offered by a graphite shaft. So now to determine which graphite shaft seemed right for me. I asked my fitter about how L.A.B. Golf ranked the shafts in terms of feel. He listed the shafts in terms of feel (soft to firm) it goes Accra, Steel, BGT, TPT. I wanted something in the middle so I selected the BGT Stabilty ONE shaft. I went with the "double line" alignment mark. That seemed to suit my eye best and it is similar to the alignment mark on my Evnroll ER11v which I really like. 

My Build

DF3 Custom

Hand: RIGHT

Putting style: STANDARD

Head weight: HEAVIER

Shaft: BGT Stability ONE

Shaft length: 34.5″

Lie angle: 68

Putter color: DF3 - Orange

Alignment mark: I

Grip Selection: Press Pistol 2 Degree - Right

Headcover selection: DF3 Headcover - Black

image.png.f4797577fedccfae782812f001a26ef3.png

The order for the putter has been submitted. 

Nice Selection!

Titleist GT3 11* Tensei 1k blue

Titleist TSR2 4w 16*

Titleist TSR2 5w 18.75*

MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

Vokey SM9 Wedges 50* 54* 58*

DF2.1 Putter

15 hours ago, GolfSpy SAM said:

A very happy birthday present to me - I've already told the testers, but figured I'd share here, too.  Due to some VERY unforeseen (and happy) circumstances, I'll be joining in on the fun (not as an official tester by any means, but more as a happy co-participant) 🙂

This was ordered yesterday (white Accra shaft, white pistol grip).  To say I'm excited is a VAST understatement.

image.png

That color combo is sick!  

Titleist GT3 11* Tensei 1k blue

Titleist TSR2 4w 16*

Titleist TSR2 5w 18.75*

MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

Vokey SM9 Wedges 50* 54* 58*

DF2.1 Putter

Speaking of headcovers, for those who have a DF3 or have spent some time with it, I'm assuming it has to be a custom cover unique to the DF3? Both size and the center shaft suggests to be there's no way a standard mallet cover would work. Is that correct?

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX E722 16.5°, Tensei AV RAW Blue 65 S
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 19°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 22°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:callaway-small: Epic Forged 7 27°
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 7–PW
Diamond Tour Inazone 3.0 50°, 54°, 58°, Aldila NV 95 Graphite
:L.A.B.: DF3, Counterbalanced 37", TPT shaft, Garsen Quad Tour 17"

Full WITB with pictures

1 minute ago, jbern said:

Well, I’m leaving for vacation (currently on the plane waiting), so I won’t be super active in the thread for a few days, but I’ll try to keep up as best as possible! 

I got my fitting email back with all of my questions answered. There was some confusion because my gamer putter is armlock and the putter used in the fitting video was a standard putter. 32.5” is very short for someone 5’9”. 
More details to come once my order is confirmed!

Enjoy your trip and the sunshine. 

16 hours ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

For those of us who are growing in anticipation, this won't help make the anticipation get less:

funny thing about this is he says he'd never pay what it costs even though he felt it was a great putter....

LAB putters are awesome but 700+ dollars for a putter??? c'mon. that is insanity.

Driver-  Titleist  TSR3 10*
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*
Irons- Titleist 718 AP2 (5i-50*)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Wilson Infinite Grant Park
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

1 hour ago, jbern said:

I Love the idea of everyone naming their putter!

I was also thinking about giving my putter a name. Given the color I've chosen, I'm kicking around names of famous redheads, either historical or fictional. (Just for my part, I'm going to exclude actresses, etc.)

I'm also open to groan-inducing puns.

Early leaders: van Gogh or Weasley. Not a huge Harry Potter fanboy myself, but Weasley just seems like a fun putter name.

Full WITB with pictures

6 minutes ago, StrokerAce said:

absolutely love this response and I am the exact same kind of shopper. I love picking up slightly used gear from those well-off enough to buy new equipment all of the time. The only thing I've bought new recently are wedges and that's simply because I wanted sharp grooves.

the one thing I do wonder about with this putter though is the precision of the fitting and how much that matters. Can you buy a used LAB and have it adjusted? Or is the modification of the putter so unique that it has to be done by LAB only?

I'll be following along closely...

I was curious about this as well, I remember seeing a video of how touchy the weighting can be to get everything balanced correctly and wondered about when a grip wears out and needs to be replaced. Would a different grip throw off the magic?

Link to What's in My Bag Post

:ping-small: - G430 Max

:cobra-small: - LTDx 3 Wood

:callaway-small: - Mavrik 4 & 5 hybrids

:mizuno-small: - Pro 225 Irons

:titleist-small::vokey-small: - SM9 50, 54, 58 degree

:cameron-small: - Teryllium Longneck Newport 2 / :odyssey-small: - Jailbird 380 / Hudson Made Carman Custom

Nick_D's Putter Projects

:srixon-small: - Z-Star Diamond

8 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

I was also thinking about giving my putter a name. Given the color I've chosen, I'm kicking around names of famous redheads, either historical or fictional. (Just for my part, I'm going to exclude actresses, etc.)

Early leaders: van Gogh or Weasley. Not a huge Harry Potter fanboy myself, but Weasley just seems like a fun putter name.

Judas? 😆

https://discover.hubpages.com/entertainment/Top-20-Famous-Redheads-in-History

Lionheart
Marilyn
Winston

Driver-  Titleist  TSR3 10*
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*
Irons- Titleist 718 AP2 (5i-50*)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Wilson Infinite Grant Park
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

1 minute ago, StrokerAce said:

Judas? 😆

I've been betrayed by putters before. But I'd rather not give it that name upfront, and I hope it doesn't earn it 🙂

I could be persuaded of Winston:

“I would say to the House, as I said to those who have joined this Government, I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat. We have before us an ordeal of the most grievous kind. We have before us many long months of toil and struggle.

You ask what is our aim? I can answer in one word: Victory. Victory at all costs. Victory in spite of all terror. Victory however long and hard the road may be. For without victory there is no survival.”

A bit overwrought for putting, for sure. But there are days that it feels that way.

Full WITB with pictures

13 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

I also like Weasley, it just sounds right.

I was trying to think of some classic redheaded cartoon characters like Dexter, Chuckie, Jetson, or Yosemite Sam lol.

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---