TESTERS WANTED! ×

2 & 3 Hybrids.....

BK in TEXAS

adamshybrid-1.jpg

I've been reading a few threads here recently with folks talking about hitting #2 & #3 Hybrids. I spent a lot of time trying hybrids this spring ranging from 16Ëš to 25Ëš and found that (for me) when hitting hybrids below 21Ëš consistent/accurate shots were harder to come by compared to fairway metals.

Just wondering if other folks found the same thing and are opting for fairway woods instead.

Between my driver & irons are a 16.5Ëš metal, 20.5Ëš metal, and a 25Ëš hybrid.

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

I was carrying a 15* 3w and a 18* hybrid between my driver and 4i. I hit my 18* way too far to fill that gap, so I pulled the 60* in favor of a 3i. I hit my hybrid 245 off the tee and 230-245 off the turf. I can hit it as short as 200 or as long as 250 if needed. I love it and will always have a hybrid in my bag, due to its versatility. I hit it off the tee a lot in tourneys.

I have a 19 degree hybrid and a 5 wood that I interchange depending on the course and the conditions - I hit them similar distances but different trajectories - I hit the 5 wood higher and softer - with no wind they both go between 195 and 200.

My league course has two par 3's on it that are in that range and half of their pin positions are behind traps so when I play in league the 5 wood is in the bag.

I really like the hybrid off the tee because I can hit it lower and get it running down the fairway very nicely.

For me the key to hitting hybrids has always been to play them like a middle iron - back just a hair, make sure you hit down on them a bit and take a little divot as opposed to the sweeping swing with the fairway wood.

Just thinking of them as your favorite middle iron and you'll find you hit them solid most of the time JBones - I'd imagine that a 2 hybrid would be a great club in Indiana - We didn't have hybrids when I lived there but I can picture using that 19 a lot on the courses I used to play. I'd have it in the bag and not the 5 wood on those for sure.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I have the same set-up as JBones. Driver, 15* wood, 18* hybrid then 4 iron.

The difference is, my 3W and hybrid are for mere decoration purposes... I can't hit them to save my life :D

So I have a huge gap between my driver and my 4 iron, which I use for 200 yard shots.

On long Par 3's I will risk it and tee off with the 3W or hybrid, but it's really a low percentage shot for me.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

In my bag, I have a 17* 4-Wood, a 19* 3 Hybrid, and a 22* 4 Hybrid. I use the 4-wood off the tee a lot, depending on what I need to avoid in the fairway. I usually play a low stinger shot off the tee that goes around 250 straight. If I swing it full off tee, I might as well use my driver because if I have an opportunity to hit 265 (my 4 wood distance) then I will just crank it with my driver. I hit the ball well with my 3 and 4 hybrids. I had lost my stroke with the hybrids for two rounds, but got it back yesterday. I will attack the pin with both hybrids if there is no real danger. I have a high, straight ball flight with them when I am hitting them well. I hit my 3 Hybrid around 230 and my 4 hybrid around 215. That setup works well for me. I am not sure if I would be able to hit any hybrid below my 19*. It looks like it would be too tough. Anyway, they are great tools for me on par-5s, depending on the course. Again, if there is no danger, I go for the green. If there is danger, I lay up with them and pitch on. Lately, I have been doing that less, and my scores have dropped. Maybe I wont do that anymore :P

Inside My Blue Callaway Warbird X Golf Stand Bag:

Driver:Nike SQ 10.5* with Graphite Design Y6+

3W:Cobra S2 14*

4W: Nike SQ Dymo 17*

3H and 4H: Taylormade Rescue 19* and 22*

5H: Cleveland Mashie 23*

6H: Adams a3os Hollow-Back

7Iron-Sand Wedge:Callaway X-20 Series with Callaway Steel

Lob Wedge (60*):Cleveland CG-12 Black Pearl with Cleveland TRaction Steel Wedge Flex

Putter: Odyssey Versa #9

Golfball: Callaway Hex Black Tour

I would be interested to see how the average amateurhitachi a FM compared to a hybrid, both distance-wise and from an accuracy standpoint...Alot of amateurs go on "theory" and with what is written in the magazines regarding the "ease" of hybrids vs. FMs, yet the "reality" that I see on the course and practice tee is much different.....

Fairways & Greens 4ever....

Sounds like a MGS Labs article if ever I've heard one...

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

I would be interested to see how the average amateur hit a FM compared to a hybrid, both distance-wise and from an accuracy standpoint...Alot of amateurs go on "theory" and with what is written in the magazines regarding the "ease" of hybrids vs. FMs, yet the "reality" that I see on the course and practice tee is much different.....

Magazine Articles are what got me trying the lower lofted hybrids in the first place. The hybrids were a bit better than the 3 & 4 irons, but not as good as fairway metals....again...at least for me. Side note: My fairway metals are cut a full inch short for control.

That said, I LOVE my 25Ëš hybrid. I use it for nearly all my "unconventional" shots, layups, and shots that absolutely have to be in the middle of the fairway.

In my bag, April 2023

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
Sun Mountain Cart Bag

I think it's very helpful to have at least 1 fairway wood and 1 hybrid in the bag because that creates versatility.

I carry 2 hybrids and 2 fairway woods or 3 and 1 depending but I'm a bit unusual - my longest iron is a 6 - it and my 7 are cavity backs, 8-PW are muscle backs - wierd yeah but it all fits me.

I do have a suggestion for Steve - lose the 3 wood and put in a 4 wood - that will be easier to hit and cover that distance gap for you. My pro used to recommend Driver (with lots of loft), 4 wood, 7 wood, 4 wedges for 90 percent of his students - he's now gone to a hybrid instead of that 7 wood but you get the drift - you should be able to hit the 4 wood well and if you can't try a 5 wood - you'll still get more out of it than a 4 iron and it will help to cover that gap.

I'd love to see that test Matt on both ends - hybrid vs. fairway wood, hybrid vs. long/mid iron. I know that there was a test a few years back that showed that for better amateurs there's often a too large gap between their shortest hybrid and their longest iron - I found this to be the case for me and have since tweaked my lofts so that the gap no longer exists - also had a shaft put into my 5 hybrid that lets me flight it down a bit.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Matt, I have no idea where "amateurhitachi" came from on my phone...Sorry, that you didn't get the corrected version...lol....

I assumed it was someone new to grilling :P

In my bag, April 2023

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
Sun Mountain Cart Bag

At 18 hcp I am not a good player by any stretch of the imagination, but here is what is relevant for me.

At the moment I don't get along with my 3 wood at all, neither with my driver. They hardly ever leave my bag anymore, only if I really have no other option (carry water, hole much too long, and so on...), which frankly, isn't a lot of times.

My goto club is my G15 17° hybrid, which I trust of the tee and of the deck to go 210-220.

The driver goes significantly farther on avg, 265, but I spray it sooo much, that the risk of going out of bounds is rather high, fairways have to be really wide or holes really long for me to take it out of my bag. The 3 wood goes farther than the hybrid too, off the tee that is, off the deck it is actually shorter as I struggle to make good contact, so it never leaves my bag.

In my view that experience stems from the fact that my hybrid is significantly shorter than my 3 wood and driver. Both appear too long for me to control. And when it all comes down to risk reward of hitting those three, the hybrid wins out on a lot of the holes. Furthermore, my hybrid, being a Ping G15 resembles an iron, a shape wich I like and trust.

Maybe what I should do in the future is to get both the 3 wood and driver cut down ... but I will never ever trade in my 17° G15 hybrid ... oh yes, and the story of it being a hookmachine ... i can only say, get fit ...

YMMV

In custom James Stewart golfbag:
Ping Tour-S Rustique 60/TS & 55/13 / Ping CFS Stiff / Ping ID8
Ping i20 4-PW+UW / Ping CFS Stiff / Ping ID8
Ping G15 2H 17° & driver 9° / stiff aldila serrano / ping 703
Odyssey White Hot XG 2-Ball / 33" / 2°up
Srixon AD333 - Oakley Flack Jacket XLJ G30

My bag setup included a Driver-11*, 3W-15*, 5W-18*, 3h-21*, 4H-24*, then 5-SW.

I noticed that lately, I had not been using my 5W much(175 yds with a soft landing)......and the course has a lot of trees with low branches. So I replaced the 5W with a Nickent 3DX 2H-17* that I can use to get through the trees, or up to 205 yds when needed. Now I have 3 hybrids that I use for 160 to 205 yds. Sometimes I use the 4H and choke up rather than my 5 iron as I did several times today.

Once I got warmed up(after the front 9) I made 6 Pars in a row!

I am keeping the 3 Hybrid setup for now.......

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

In a grand experiment this summer, I ditched my hybrids completely. I've moved to more of a "retro" bag. Driver, 3w, 5w, 9w, 5-9i. Picked up an Adams LP 9-wood and, for me, it's a miracle stick! I've always hit the hybrid "OK", but this thing is laser straight for me. Full swing 200yds, choked up to 185yds and lands like a feather, I'm hitting way more greens than I ever have. I was never able to hit a hybrid out of the rough, it was always a crap shoot, but the 9w get it out and up.

Only downside is that it flies a mile high, and in the wind it can be a liability... but more often than not it's great!

I can't tell you the last time I hit a full shot with the 5i, but I still carry it in case I need to punch out low from the wilderness.

Driver: Bridgestone J40 - 445

Woods: TEE - 4

Hybrids - Adams Super 19*/22*

Irons: Adams CB2

Wedges: Mizuno MP-T11 54*/58*

Putter: Scotty Cameron Sonoma

I have two bags, two different set ups. In one bag, I have a 3 wood (15*) I hit it once today during 27 holes. A 165 yard putt under some trees. In that bag I have a 17* hybrid on a 3 iron length, not a hybrid length, shaft and a 21* hybrid on a 4 iron length C Taper shaft. Oddly enough, I have not did not experience any loss in distance when I put these on the shorter shafts. I have been playing with shafts that were too weak so when I removed the graphite shafts and put in the C Tapers and these two clubs are awesome. I use them off of the tees on many holes and get the distance I want out of them. The Hogan hybrids are very workable and yesterday, I hit the 17* from the fairway with a 40 yard left to right flight and landed on the green 210 yards away.

The other bag, has two hybrids, three if you count the oversized Mizuno MP FlI HI as a hybrid, but really all this is is a slightly bigger 4 iron. I have 909H 19 and 21. Both of these are on longer than normal shafts. In this case the 19* is on a shaft that is 42" and used in place of a 3 wood in this set. I actually hit it much 10 yards longer than I do a 3 wood. The 21* plays about 40 1/2" and is about a 210 yard club.

Most modern 3 woods are designed to get the ball up in the air. Since I create a lot of spin, I cause most woods to really balloon. I have never hit the woods that great, and carry the three wood in the one set just because there is space, but am thinking hard about carrying an extra wedge in that bag. The problem is I do not use it either. I can hit a driver off the deck much better than a 3 wood. Yesterday, I carried 2 drivers and no 3 wood. Today I carried both bags, but did not have grips on the Mizunos until after the first 18 holes. I played the last 9 with these clubs.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

I sort of wasn't going to respond to this but what the heck. A 2 hybrid to me is 18/19* a 3 hybrid would be 21/22* roughly, I know that there are 17 and 20 out there so 1* strong whatever. But when you get into the 15/16* hybrid to me that is a 1 iron type of replacement.

I used to play a 16* hybrid It would probably total around 250 off the tee when I cracked it, Off the deck i might be happy with a 230 carry but it would roll out a ton. The problem with that could is that off the deck it was too low of a trajectory for me, it came out like a bullet might as well been hitting an old school 1 iron that how low a trajectory it had on it. Could have been the shaft but the club worked WAY better used as a tee box option only.

I switched out a 14.5* 3wood, and the 16* hybrid for a 16.5* 4wood and a 19* hybrid. These get up in the air like I want to and come down softer, I can still hit them lower off the tee or deck if I want, but I don't have to force them to get airborne have to force them to get knocked down which is what I like better.

For me personally it ended up being 16* hybrid (41.50") = 18* 5 metal (42.50") they went almost the same distance 16* was way lower in height in terms of average trajectory. I figure that my 19* is about the match up of a 21* 7 wood or whatever the loft might be on a 7 wood. I find that hybrids are a little longer then the equivalent loft in irons. 18* 5 wood > 18* hybrid > 18* 2 iron basically is what I have come to the conclusion of for my game.

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

RR, I also have a Mizzy FLI HI 3I(21*) & 4I(24*)....I would consider those closer to a GI iron than a Hybrid...I don't remember, how were those marketed, as hybrids or irons?.....

This Mizzy is the easiest long iron in the world for me to hit. I have been thinking about getting the 2 and 3 iron versions of it. I especially want the 2 iron so that I can say, " I think I'll hit the 2 iron." Last week, I was talking to my pro on the range and was hitting this four iron. He asked about it and I told how easy it was to hit. Then he and several other guys took turns with it. I was shocked because I thought everybody was just going to bomb this club because it is so easy. They did not. He hit it OK but the other guys could barely hit it at all. I guess that explains why there are so many of them on eBay. :)

RR, a lot of guys cannot hit the FLI HIs....I too was amazed when a couple of plus guys couldn't hit it & handed it back to me and said, "this sux"......

Anyway, we are in the minority...Oh yea, I didn't realize that there was a 2i FLI HI...I've got the 21*(3) & 24*(4)...What's the 2i, 19*?....

Fairways & Greens 4ever.....

Actually, it is 18*. 39.25" long. I really want them but I have the 909's that I am hitting just great. I have been getting closer to the flag with irons and hybrids than with the stupid wedges of late. My problem is that I gained 15 yards with all the clubs when I went to the XS shafts and I am having difficulty toning it down for the wedges. So I hit the hybrids off the tees and have nearly every approach shot from the fairway.

RR, I've got 2 extra Fli His, one 3i(21*) and one 4i(24*)...I bought em to have spare heads cuz the shafts are Project X 5.5, which is light for me, as I'd imagine it is for you also...They're both in excellent shape, especially the 3i.....

If you want em, either one both, let me know..I can send ya pics of one or both..The 4i has a 1" of lead tape on it(came that way)....

Lemme know Bro.....

Fairways & Greens 4ever......

Thanks for the offer but I would have to remove clubs that are doing a great job just to appease my ego and let me hit a 2 iron. I have already proven to myself and wrote a thread about it here on this site about how much better the hybrids are than the irons even if you can hit the irons well. The versitility of the hybrid in rescue shot simply can not be matched by the 2 and 3 iron even if they are as good as the Mizzy FLI HI.

Besides, I already have 7 hybrids and can only bag 4 or 5 of them so why buy more clubs.

I am about to cut down the shafts in the Titleist hybrids. I experiemented today by choking down an inch and a half and found no real distance loss and much better contact. Same for the Callaway Driver.

What's the length on your two drivers?....

Faiways & Greens 4ever...

Callaway Razr Fit is 46"

Titleist 909D3 is 44"

Debating on if I want to tip trim it or butt trim it. But not wild about messing with the tip with the whatever you call it on the end. Thinking about taking out tomorrow and choking down on it and see how it flies. I hit four of my longest drives ever today with the Titleist without the help of the wind or slope. Flat level ground no wind and on a par 5 485 yards long, I had 157 to 161 four times today. (played the same 9 holes because of construction. They are laying turf on the new holes so 4 more weeks and it is back to 18 holes.) I did have 4 eagle putts today on that hole, but settled for four birdies. They were good putts but a devilish pin location and I was in the same spot all four times. About 6 to 8 feet above the hole with a 2 foot break to the left. Hit the top edge twice, the bottom edge once, and left it a quarter turn short the fourth time.

Edit: I will add that these four drives were absolutely perfectly struck. I came nowhere close to hitting the rest of the drives this well.

I've gone to a 4 hybrid setup this year and love it to bits. No more long irons nor fairway woods, instead hybrids have become the strength of my game.

16, 18, 21, 24 all shafted up with Kuro Kage's. The first two are RBZ's and are pretty much tee clubs only. Since I see a lot of mid fairway water traps, I've found the 16/18 split has been useful when trying to hit a target area. The 21/24 are Razr's and will be used anywhere for anything.

The shorter length of the hybrids over the fairway's has lost me distance club for club but instead has given my more accuracy and predictable results. The 5 iron (27 loft for me usually) I find is the breaking point for hybrids. That's when the swing goes just a touch steep (though still pretty flat overall) that an iron generally works better then a hybrid, at least for me. Still, it was a fun experiment this year.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

Archived