TESTERS WANTED! ×

It's Official!

Krismond30

I'm taking my fairway wood out of the bag. It's just so frustrating. I even bought a 4 wood (17 degree) hoping that the higher loft would help, but nope still no luck. I hit my 20 degree hybrid pretty consistent, so I'll probably replace the fairway with a 17 degree hybrid.

Driver:  Titleist 915D2 9.5* (Set at 10.25*) w/ Diamana S+ Blue
Fairway:  TaylorMade Aeroburner Black 16.5* HL w/ Matrix Rul-Z 
Hybrids:  Titleist 915H 18*(Set at 19.5*) w/ Diamana S+ Blue
Irons:  Mizuno JPX Fli-Hi (4 Iron) w/ Graphite Design Aura Blue
            Mizuno JPX-850 Forged (5-9) w/ True Temper XP 105
Wedges:  Mizuno JPX-850 Forged (PW 45*) w/ True Temper XP 105
                 Mizuno MP-R12 (50*, 54*, 58*) w/ DG Spinner
Putter:  Scotty Cameron Select GoLo S

Balls:  Callaway Chrome Soft / TaylorMade Project (a)
Bag:  OGIO Chamber
Shoes:  Nike TW '15

Sorry to hear that I love my 4 wood.. Good luck finding the club that fits!!!! I think that's what we are all trying to do!!!

Whats in the bag:

Titleist 910D2 10.5 Graphite Design Y7-S

Adams 1600 proto 14.5 Graphite Design AD DJ

Titleist 910F 17 Ust Tour Black

Titleist 910H 22 Diamana Kali

Adams Idea Pro A12 4-9 KBS C Taper

Titleist Vokey SM4 46 degree w/ DG Spinner

Mizuno MP R12 50-54-58 DG spinner

Ping Redwood ZB

Ball Nike 20XI-X

Well, I know nothing about your game, but have you had the 4 wood fitted for a shaft? Do you feel the need to swing hard with the 4 wood / driver?

I find a common mistake for average golfers when it comes to a fairway wood and driver is that they fire something off in their brain that says "kill it". I love my 4 wood personally, but at 43" you have to remind yourself to keep good tempo, driver is the same way for me at 44.50" I have to swing smooth and not "rip it". Most time Hybrid clubs are easier to hit thanks to the shorter shafts, my 19* hybrid plays at 41" it is a simple swing just like any other long iron I might play.

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

I went through this for a while. The only way to hit a 3 wood well is to go to the driving range with only your 3 wood. Do this a few times and you'll get it. I've grown to love my 3w again after months of dreading pulling it out.

The 4 wood really is for people who hit the 3 wood too long IMO. Most people don't hit it that far unless your course is really short.

4 wood is actually a great club because it fills a gap far better than 3 wood - I know lots of better golfers who carry 4 or a weak 3 instead of a 3. That's my thought on that matter. My 3 wood is 16 degrees and 42.75 inches - it's there to hit the ball 215 - if it were 14.5 and 43 I might get 225 out of it but I really only need 215 and I'm a heck of a lot more accurate with 16 degrees of loft and a little shorter shaft. I do have a more traditional 3 wood that my fitter is in the process of fixing up for me - I'll give it a whirl but would imagine I'll stick with my main squeeze, it and my Ping Eye 2 wedge are the mainstays in my bag - they're like Linus' blanket.

If I were in Krismond's predicament I'd go with what works so long as your not duplicating your distances or creating an unusual yardage gap who cares if you hit 4 wood, 5 wood, 3 wood or 2 hybrid to get the job done?

Next week no one is asking what you hit - they want to know what you shot.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I went through this for a while. The only way to hit a 3 wood well is to go to the driving range with only your 3 wood. Do this a few times and you'll get it. I've grown to love my 3w again after months of dreading pulling it out.

The 4 wood really is for people who hit the 3 wood too long IMO. Most people don't hit it that far unless your course is really short.

That's a good idea. I'll hit a bucket of balls with just my 4 wood a few times and see what happens. Thanks!

My 3 wood is 16 degrees and 42.75 inches - it's there to hit the ball 215 - if it were 14.5 and 43 I might get 225 out of it but I really only need 215 and I'm a heck of a lot more accurate with 16 degrees of loft and a little shorter shaft.

Same here. Call it a 3 or a 4 or whatever....16.5Ëš fairway wood....goes 220 for me. More importantly...I'm way more consistent with the slightly higher loft and shorter shaft.

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

I replaced my 5w with a 17* 2H. As it provides more versatility.....especially when you need a low stinger to get out from under the trees.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I think I might have posted this before somewhere else but from my experience in terms of distance here is what happened for me with exact same lofts. 18* 5 wood > 18* hybrid > 18* 2 iron.

That should make complete since given the 5 wood is longest shaft, hybrid is the next longest shaft, 2 iron being the shortest shaft. Assuming that you can purely hit all those clubs and get a good ball flight from it. As for trajectory 5 wood and hybrid were pretty close (maybe hybrid a hair lower), 2 iron was lower.

I personally think that hybrids are not a direct translation in terms of loft, my 16* hybrid was lower trajectory (hard to get in the air) but totaled about the same distance as a 18* 5 wood wood but the 5wood had more carry and less roll. I could not hit that 16* off the deck it was purely a club used off the tee.

I switched into a 4 wood 16.5* and a 19* hybrid which just worked a lot better for me then a 14.5* 3 wood and a 16* 1 iron loft hybrid.

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

Make sure that you hit the 17* hybrid before you buy & hit the GI 17* hybrids vs. Players hybrids..They have a lower COG and are easier to get air borne....

The Best....

Fairways & Greens 4ever.....

I've actually been hitting a few hybrids at my local shop the last few weeks. I've hit the Adams A12, Adams A12OS, Ping i20, Titleist 910, Mizuno MP-650...etc. I think I've hit most of them. The one's that I've liked so far are: i20 17* and A12 17*. If I do decide to get one, I'll make sure I compare each one on the launch monitor before buying. If anyone has any other recommendations on hybrids I should try, please let me know.

Thanks everyone!

You'll be surprised from the Nickents.....available at Dick's

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Fozcycle - now that I'm starting to get healthy we're going to have to get together and play - I'm playing TPC and Westchase next week but unfortunately both are in tournaments -

I'm working on getting a group to go up to World Woods the week after that including Dogpro - another guy who's on the forum here.

Any interest? If so lets ping each other over in the arrange a round thread.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Fozcycle - now that I'm starting to get healthy we're going to have to get together and play - I'm playing TPC and Westchase next week but unfortunately both are in tournaments -

I'm working on getting a group to go up to World Woods the week after that including Dogpro - another guy who's on the forum here.

Any interest? If so lets ping each other over in the arrange a round thread.

Sounds good...in KY this week I'll holler at ya when I get back.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok...so after a few range sessions I've decided to keep the 4 wood in the bag. I'm hitting it better by moving the ball back in my stance and choked down a bit.

I remain convinced that this is the best play - I think that it's best to have at least one fairway metal (I'm trying to change with the times) and one hybrid in the bag of the overwhelming majority of golfers. These clubs serve different purposes and perform differently even if they fly the same distance so at times better players may wish to have extra options that can be subbed in and out - I have the 5 wood/19 degree hybrid choice but that would not leave me as a fairway metal or hybrid orphan either way - I hit my hybrids so well that my longest iron is a 6 so I always have a 26 degree and 23 degree hybrid and my 2 wood in the bag.

I also have options in the wedge category that might be used depending upon course and course conditions but that's a matter for another thread and I rarely, rarely excercise those options anyway.

Good luck - hope that 4 wood works out.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I remain convinced that this is the best play - I think that it's best to have at least one fairway metal (I'm trying to change with the times) and one hybrid in the bag of the overwhelming majority of golfers. These clubs serve different purposes and perform differently even if they fly the same distance so at times better players may wish to have extra options that can be subbed in and out - I have the 5 wood/19 degree hybrid choice but that would not leave me as a fairway metal or hybrid orphan either way - I hit my hybrids so well that my longest iron is a 6 so I always have a 26 degree and 23 degree hybrid and my 2 wood in the bag.

I also have options in the wedge category that might be used depending upon course and course conditions but that's a matter for another thread and I rarely, rarely excercise those options anyway.

Good luck - hope that 4 wood works out.

Thanks...I think i made the right decision too. What kind of hybrids are you hitting? I have an old Nike SUMO2, which I replaced with the Mizuno JPX Fli-Hi (which I got FREE when I bought my Mizuno Iron set). I'm not hitting the Fli-Hi to well and I hit my Nike better. Might be putting the Nike back in the bag soon.

I have an old Nicklaus hybrid that has been reshafted as my 5 hybrid - it fits my irons and I have an original Adams Idea Pro 23 degree as my 4 hybrid (my 19 is also an Adams Idea Pro). The Adams and my 5 wood are the only clubs with shafts marked S in my bag although when I was fit this spring they tested out to being between R and S which not surprisingly is exactly where I should be for my swing speed.

I'm not a big one for changing the middle part of my bag so long as it's working - I use any one of those clubs so infrequently (1 or 2 times a round) that it doesn't seem worth it to me. If I've got a club in that part of the bag that I hit well I tend to just keep it in. I've had the same irons/hybrids for five years plus and have no intention or desire to change them. That 4 hybrid is an important club because I can chip with it if need be (I try to practice that shot for a bit weekly to keep it fresh) and I can work it either way out of trouble when I get caught behind trees. It's also my normal lay up club on Par 5's unless there is some compelling reason to hit something else (like getting to a favorite yardage or avoiding hazzards that pinch.) I hit the five hybrid very high and soft. Before the reshaft it was there to fill a yardage gap - now it's a big time weapon. When I have it in my hands I expect to hit the green - that's added significant yardage to my 50/50 hitting the green point. It's back to 175 plus.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

K, wow, the i20 & the A12 are two very different profiles..Which one did ya hit the best?.....

Fairways & Greens 4ever.....

i20 felt good and long. The A12 didn't feel as good, but just as long though. Any recommendations? I might be in the market for a new 3 Hybrid.

Archived