TESTERS WANTED! ×

Equipment Myths

JMiller

"Sweet Spot", I personally hate it and completely cringe when I hear / read the statement "GI / SGI clubs have a larger sweet spot then players clubs".

You can read this article on the driver sweet spot, but in the end this applies to all club heads.

http://www.rotaryswing.com/golf-instruction/golfequipment/bombyourdriver/sweetspot.html

It is a simple fact that regardless of the design of the head there is only one true sweet spot, now a design might have more "forgiveness" so that on strikes made off the sweet spot the club head resits twisting more and losing ball speed. For a lot of us this seems trivial information, but why do I see this phrase pop up in even MGS lab posts and on this forum all the time? That is one of the biggest Myths that I can think of in golf thanks to OEMs marketing the wrong terms.

Please, if you don't believe me try it for yourself. Put a writing pen in a camp vertically standing, the pen should have a flat back edge to it like a old school cheapo bic pen. Even a wooden pencil could do the trick if the back of it is flat. Balance the face of the club on that pin so that you could walk away and unless it got bumped or wind push it over it would just sit there. That is the only true sweet spot on the face to hit the ball at for perfect contact with very little to no twisting. Move the face around 1/8" in any direction and see if it still balances.

Iron might not work on this system as well at a driver, but you get the idea that every club has one center of gravity and thus one point that something hitting it on the face of the object will have the least amount of twist and most possible energy transfer. Sweet Spot DOES NOT EQUAL forgiveness :lol:

Does anyone else have a common myth that jut bugs them when they hear it?

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In no particular order that has caught my eye lately:

64 degree wedges are impossible x2 to hit within 60 degree wedges being evil to to hard to use

Adjustable drivers are only for people who tinker on the course and since I never see anyone do that, it's stupid technology and you're paying for nothing

Blades are only for scratch or better players

All better players who truely care about their game have ditched blades for CB's and thus you should to

If a pro does it, so should everyone else

Shaft and/or grip fitting is pointless

Everybody should play with Pro V1's because their the best at everything and when they spin, kittens and rainbows fall out to shower joy upon the course

Thick soled irons are for sweepers because they don't get the mass of the club behind the ball

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

All better players who truely care about their game have ditched blades for CB's and thus you should to

If a pro does it, so should everyone else

Shaft and/or grip fitting is pointless

That is just ridiculousness, sorry MTV 2 not trying to steal your show title but it fit my response well.

Thick soled irons are for sweepers because they don't get the mass of the club behind the ball

wow, please point me to the person that has said this so i can slap them

Everybody should play with Pro V1's because their the best at everything and when they spin, kittens and rainbows fall out to shower joy upon the course

I started laughing so hard when I read this, great line

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Wait....that's not true?????

Dammit Jim.

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

Kittens and rainbows....I smell a new catchphrase!

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

That is just ridiculousness, sorry MTV 2 not trying to steal your show title but it fit my response well.

wow, please point me to the person that has said this so i can slap them

I started laughing so hard when I read this, great line

A: I agree, but it appears we're in the minority on most of the popular forums.

B: It seems to be a common thought elsewhere lately and it's gone from amusing to annoying for me at least.

C: This thread inspires greatness heh.

Wait....that's not true?????

Dammit Jim.

Sadly, it appears not much to the chagrin of kitten lovers everywhere.

Kittens and rainbows....I smell a new catchphrase!

B)

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

Weaker flex shafts give you more distance. Reality, properly fit shafts give you more distance.

Longer shafts give you more distance. Reality, center struck balls give you more distance. Unless you have clubs with a bigger sweet spot.:P

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

Hahahaha I AM CRACKING UP HAHA :lol:

Inside My Blue Callaway Warbird X Golf Stand Bag:

Driver:Nike SQ 10.5* with Graphite Design Y6+

3W:Cobra S2 14*

4W: Nike SQ Dymo 17*

3H and 4H: Taylormade Rescue 19* and 22*

5H: Cleveland Mashie 23*

6H: Adams a3os Hollow-Back

7Iron-Sand Wedge:Callaway X-20 Series with Callaway Steel

Lob Wedge (60*):Cleveland CG-12 Black Pearl with Cleveland TRaction Steel Wedge Flex

Putter: Odyssey Versa #9

Golfball: Callaway Hex Black Tour

"This shaft is too whippy, it can't keep up with me, I'm hitting everything right."

(sound of me punching this guy in the throat)

OMG that is so great.

I'll admit that I have talked about some shafts not being able to recover in time. However, I also know that 99% of the time and majority of the trials I made with that shaft the shaft actually over recovered and flipped the head closed.

JM: The difference is you actually have substantial clubhead speed. I hear this from guys who can't crack 90MPH regularly.

Also, an educational follow up to my original comment:

Please watch "Show 3" from Season 4 at this link

http://www.xgolfschool.com/golfshow.html

and NEVER again be the guy that I punch in the throat. :D

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

JM: The difference is you actually have substantial clubhead speed. I hear this from guys who can't crack 90MPH regularly.

http://www.xgolfscho...m/golfshow.html

OMG that was a great information.

I was told that a shaft that was too weak went right and sliced. I went three years between slices but hit 40 yard hooks 2 or 3 times per hole. Since the ball was hooking I had a problem with my swing. The solution was to take 1/2 and 3/4 shots. I could still work the ball with with this swing. After a couple of years trying to "fix that problem" I went with the XS shafts. No more hooks and yes, I have an occassional slice when I have a poor swing.

The first time I hit a slice with the new shafts my playing partners were all stunned and remarked that they had never seen me slice the ball before. I said, "Yes, isn't it great?"

I really enjoyed the "shaft deflection & release" video. Let me be more clear from now on in terminology. "over recovering" I use to refer to a shaft that has too much dynamic close and/ or dynamic lead. "flipping the head" is exactly what "Dynamic Close" is. For me and some more powerful players it is rare but possible that the dynamic lag still into impact where the shaft never actually dynamically starts to lead.

Like I said 99% of the time Dynamic lead / Dynamic Close is the situation that happens on too weak of shafts for the golfers swing. The situation where you have Dynamic lag and Dynamic Open into impact is just so rare.

In general I agree with you Matt (and that video) and it must be amusing to hear it from some people on a daily basis, along with the other fun tidbits that are offered up.

That being said, it does not entirely hold true for everyone (see Jmiller, likely yourself, T, Rick, Etc) and ignores a couple of points that, at least I feel, are pretty important.

A: The video entirely ignores the torsional force put on the shaft and how that alters the face angle

B: It also entirely ignores shaft profiles instead of just overall "flex". It's not that hard to have a shaft that's too weak in the tip section alone matched with a head that has the weight in the wrong location for the swing and have a player slice it instead of hook it.

Witness a stronger swinger with a steep angle of descent having a go with a Nike Machspeed, the original toaster version. The weak tip in that AXIV shaft coupled with the weight location of the square head makes it just as likely for someone to slice it as hook it when the combo is a bad pairing for them.

Further more you can expand this to iron shafts. Give someone with say a 84mph or higher 6/7 iron speed that otherwise fits a standard, full weight, DG shaft a DG XP shaft in the same flex. They'll leak the ball just as much to the left as to the right due to the change in tip profile yet without taking that into consideration, it wouldn't be hard to say just stiffen up the DG XP to lower the dispertion rate (something I've seen a number of times from the pro's at various courses around here).

Gosh that was a large side note. I refer back to kittens and rainbows.

In general I agree with you Matt (and that video) and it must be amusing to hear it from some people on a daily basis, along with the other fun tidbits that are offered up.

That being said, it does not entirely hold true for everyone (see Jmiller, likely yourself, T, Rick, Etc) and ignores a couple of points that, at least I feel, are pretty important.

A: The video entirely ignores the torsional force put on the shaft and how that alters the face angle

B: It also entirely ignores shaft profiles instead of just overall "flex". It's not that hard to have a shaft that's too weak in the tip section alone matched with a head that has the weight in the wrong location for the swing and have a player slice it instead of hook it.

Witness a stronger swinger with a steep angle of descent having a go with a Nike Machspeed, the original toaster version. The weak tip in that AXIV shaft coupled with the weight location of the square head makes it just as likely for someone to slice it as hook it when the combo is a bad pairing for them.

Further more you can expand this to iron shafts. Give someone with say a 84mph or higher 6/7 iron speed that otherwise fits a standard, full weight, DG shaft a DG XP shaft in the same flex. They'll leak the ball just as much to the left as to the right due to the change in tip profile yet without taking that into consideration, it wouldn't be hard to say just stiffen up the DG XP to lower the dispertion rate (something I've seen a number of times from the pro's at various courses around here).

Gosh that was a large side note. I refer back to kittens and rainbows.

I guess, for this to be a myth we need to kind of get very clear about what happens to a shaft. Really I am just trying to be clear on my terminology so that people are not confused.

"over powering" a shaft, means that somehow I have managed to get to impact without the torque actually recovering to a natural state. Happens in weaker tips sometimes and high torqued graphite shafts.

"flipping" / "over recovering" for me is the situation where the shaft releases the club for me, has a lot of dynamic lead / dynamic close. The tip section went from 3* open so to speak to 3* closed for example without me moving my wrists to manipulate the face. This is actually really easy to feel when the hands get passive just before impact and you feel twisting pressure in your hands as the ball is being struck. Also can be seen in the ball flight, you try to hit a cut and it goes straight or draws, holding it off and you feel the head slam shut.

I have had the "flipping" experience a lot more often and frequently then I have had the "over power" situation happen to me. In either situation the shaft is not stable enough in the tip section and over all flex at times to give the player control. I used to play a White Board in my Driver, the CPM on that was probably a S+ but the rest of the shaft was an X and stable I could still produce consistent results with it. Where I see a lot of flipping was in my irons being too weak PX Flighted 6.0 for example loved to flip the heads closed on cuts (the Flighted 6.0 is roughly a PX 5.5 non flighted), so that tip was too weak for me even in a steel shaft. When I hit OEM shafts that are Stiff I get this flipping and over powering a lot sometimes even in the X stiff that they offer it also happens.

"Shave five strokes in five minutes", oh sorry that was talking about a training aid and might want to leave that one alone since I was it on an ad here at MGS :lol:

Any Taylor Made commercial.

A $300 shaft or a $500 driver will gain you distance (not if it doesn't fit you.)

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

"Shave five strokes in five minutes", oh sorry that was talking about a training aid and might want to leave that one alone since I was it on an ad here at MGS :lol:

But I did shave five strokes in about 45 minutes. That is how long it took me to reshaft my irons with the C Tapers or the X100s. I made at least 5 strokes difference in my game.:D

"Cast is just as good as forged and even pros cant tell the difference". That one makes me crazy because its so ridicules. All you have to do is look at the 2 manufacturing processes to see why they would not yield the same product.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

Any Taylor Made commercial.

A $300 shaft or a $500 driver will gain you distance (not if it doesn't fit you.)

The Great part about that is a "$300 shaft" in a $300 Driver, common since you have to know there is no way that is the real after market shaft and specs it is a cheap version made for the company with different specs so that company can make money. Save yourself the $200 for the TP version of shaft options only (as far as I know the only change between a rack TP and non-TP is shaft options), get custom fit and get a TM adapter for a real shaft.

I can shave 5 strokes in a matter of seconds - that's what erasers are for. ;)

I drive the ball 280!!!!!!!! (That's the most destructive golf myth of all because 280 for me would represent the typical distance over estimation of the average golfer and by the way I have hit a number of measured drives 280 this season - guess how many 210's that means I've hit!)

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I can shave 5 strokes in a matter of seconds - that's what erasers are for. ;)

I drive the ball 280!!!!!!!! (That's the most destructive golf myth of all because 280 for me would represent the typical distance over estimation of the average golfer and by the way I have hit a number of measured drives 280 this season - guess how many 210's that means I've hit!)

LOL, so true...

I heard on the practice green at my club some random at my club saying "{insert name here} was 50 yards off the green on number 2 he hit like a 350 yard drive"... I instantly started laughing. It is only a a 355 yard hole on the score card from the tips, nice try at best it was a 300 yard shot and I have to assume they were not playing the tips given they were apart of a golf camp that was being held the previous day and that day.

Another one of my favorite stories comes from Heritage Plantation in Pawleys Island, SC (near Myrtle Beach), I got paired with a random pair of guys one day. I get up to the tee pull my 3 iron on number 10, It is a double dog leg 90* right goes 50 to 60 yards then 90* left with trees lining the left corner and right corners of the dog legs, hazard through the fairway straight out as well, the play is 215 to 240 at most to set up a lay up shot from the tips. I pulled 3 iron and told the pair i was playing the tips. One guy had a look on his face like "oh god here we go this is going to be a long day", having never seen me swing a club. I killed my shot baby draw dead up the center of the fairway, probably hardest hit i have had might bee 240 off the tee. He gets up with a driver from the white tee that is about 30 yards in front of me and hits this banana slice to stop about 5 yards behind my ball. That had to make him feel like an idiot, it made me smile so big that I out hit guy with a 3iron 30 yards behind him compared to his driver. In short pick the tee that you know you can play for your distances and don't judge anyone you have never seen play golf for what tee box they select.

One of my favorites is the 'such and such shaft is a good shaft.' Or 'such and such shaft is a bad shaft.' The reality is that the weight and shaft bend profile either fits the golfer's swing or it doesn't. I used to think this as well, now I know differently and I'm far better off for it. But, I'm sure I'll hear that being said at Demo Day for next year's PGA Merchandise Show.

3JACK

Author of Pro Golf Synopsis. The Moneyball approach to golf strategy and analysis.Driver: Wishon 919THI, 10° loft, UST Mamiya VTS Red 7x, 44-3/8” long, 2,825 kg/cm^2 MOIGONZO WOOD: confidential2-Hybrid: Mizuno Fli-HiCLK, 17° loft, 40-7/8" KBS Tour Hybrid shaft (stiff)3-Hybrid: Mizuno Fli-HiCLK, 20° loft, 40" KBS Tour Hybrid shaft (stiff)4-6 iron: Wishon 575MMC (CB)7-PW: Wishon 575MMC (MB)SW: Edel Golf driver grind, 52° loft, 16° bounce, Nippon WV 125 shaft.LW: Edel Golf Digger Grind, 60° loft, 27° bounce, Nippon WV 125 ShaftPutter: Edel Golf Columbia Custom Made, 35" long, 72° lie angle, 3° loft. Ball: Titleist Pro V1xGrips: PURE Grips P2 Wrap (red)Shoes: FootJoy Dry-Joy (black, size 14)3Jack's Golf Blog - http://3jack.blogspot.com

One of my favorites is the 'such and such shaft is a good shaft.' Or 'such and such shaft is a bad shaft.' The reality is that the weight and shaft bend profile either fits the golfer's swing or it doesn't. I used to think this as well, now I know differently and I'm far better off for it. But, I'm sure I'll hear that being said at Demo Day for next year's PGA Merchandise Show.

3JACK

Ya, I hear that one a lot. There's no bad shaft, only a bad pairing between the shaft and golfer.

A few weeks ago playing a regular Saturday round and hit a beautiful fade. Problem was it was a dogleg left, I set up to hit a draw down the right side and curve it left. Oops. I missed the trees but I have half a forrest between me and the green and instead of my normal 100-120 out I am 183. No way to get anything more than an 8 over the trees, obvious lay up. I dedide on a PW, if I am going to lay up make sure you clear the trees. I decide that while waiting for the green to clear and turn around and one of the higher handicap guys is 60 yards behind me. So I drive back and am going to help watch his ball. I say I am going to lay up so why doesn't he go ahead and hit. He said he was waiting for the green to clear. I said "What? Thats gotta be 245 - 250 yards from here into the wind." And he holds up his Rocketballz 3 wood and says, "I can hit this 260 yards". I said, "Ok we will wait for the green to clear." I did not add that he could not ship the ball 250 yards with FedEx let alone hit a 3 wood from the rough.

He hit, I hit, and drove past his 3 wood shot (135 out and not in the fairway) on the way to my PW shot (75 yards in the middle of the fairway). I got a par, and he got a double bogey. It ain't all about the swing.

question: whats a good golf club?

answer:the club that suits u

Taylormade RBZ2 TP 9.5 Fuel 60

Ping i20 3 wood Aldila Nv

Adams Dhy 18*

Mizuno Mp59 4-p KBS Tour S

Vokey 50* 55* 60*

Scotty Cameron Select Newport 1.5

Ball - Z star XV

Oakley Stand Bag

another great myth, a 28 handicapper saying it makes a lot of difference after he spine-ed his shafts

Taylormade RBZ2 TP 9.5 Fuel 60

Ping i20 3 wood Aldila Nv

Adams Dhy 18*

Mizuno Mp59 4-p KBS Tour S

Vokey 50* 55* 60*

Scotty Cameron Select Newport 1.5

Ball - Z star XV

Oakley Stand Bag

Archived