TESTERS WANTED! ×

Fairway woods for a high handicapper

sparnar

hi guys

i need your advice on fairway woods.

first off, let me recap by saying that i am currently a 27 handicap. i know that sounds like i'm a pretty crappy golfer, but i feel i am a fair amount better than that (most of us probably think we're better than our handicaps??)

in the last two rounds i played, i hit 39 (110 shots total) and 43 putts (100 shots total, so that is the major area i am working on right now. also practising my chips to get it close.

anyway, i managed to hit 8/14 and 9/14 FIR over these two rounds, and exclusively hit my driver from the tee box (mostly because the next club in my bag is an old adams 7 wood). i was actually quite chuffed with the number of FIR i hit, as this was by far my best two driving rounds just about ever.

i hit my driver with a bit of a slice, but can manage to get it down to fade with a controlled swing. my current 7W i can hit pretty decent off the deck, have never tried to hit it from the tee. as mentioned in another thread, i am playing mizuno mp-53s in my iron, and my swing handle these pretty well. (last round i played, my friend with a 13 handicap was surprised how well i was hitting them, after he initially thought it wasn't too smart to get these irons).

excuse all the babbling, but wanted to give you some kind of background on skill level.

i practise fairly often, and am driven to improve, so i am not necessarily looking for the most forgiving wood. i am open to suggestions though.

i have now ordered a second hand 19* hybrid to try out, and i am also looking at a FW. the pro i take lessons from, advises a driver + 4FW setup.

so i am looking at a 4FW (would consider 3W as well), second hand for a decent price. now there are plenty of clubs out there, so i was hoping you'd be able to give me a couple of slightly older, but still good options to try out for a high handicapper?

In my Clicgear B3 cart bag on my Clicgear 3.0 pushcart:

Rocketballz 10.5* stock stiff shaft

Adams Idea A3 Boxer 19*

TMag Rocketbladez 4i-6i

Mizuno MP53 7i-PW

Mizuno MP-R12 52*, MP-T11 56*, MP-T10 60*

Some old Odyssey putter (Don't laugh, it gets the ball in the hole nicely)

Bridgestone E6

Walking on air with my True Tours and Kentwool socks

No-one will ever have golf under his thumb. No round ever will be so good it could not have been better. Perhaps this is why golf is the greatest of games. You are not playing a human adversary; you are playing a game. You are playing old man par.

Bobby Jones

You swing your best when you have the fewest things to think about.

Bobby Jones

not sure if my question above is clear enough.

which fairway woods would you recommend i go out and hit in my search for a good fit?

Adams Idea A3 Boxer 19*

TMag Rocketbladez 4i-6i

Mizuno MP53 7i-PW

Bridgestone E6

No-one will ever have golf under his thumb. No round ever will be so good it could not have been better. Perhaps this is why golf is the greatest of games. You are not playing a human adversary; you are playing a game. You are playing old man par.

Bobby Jones

Bobby Jones

I'm a big fan of the Adams stuff, in particular the Fast 12, Fast 11 and Speedline LP. (Fast 11's can be found for under $80 new) Adams doesn't make a 4 wood, but they have 2 flavors of 3 Wood. Normal and strong (3+)

I've also taken a liking to the newer Nike VR-s woods, I wasn't a fan of the previous generation VR pro, but the newer ones are nice. If you find yourself needing to hit out of the long stuff, you should also check out the Tour Exotics Trilogy series and the Cleveland Bafflers.

Driver: Bridgestone J40 - 445

Woods: TEE - 4

Hybrids - Adams Super 19*/22*

Irons: Adams CB2

Wedges: Mizuno MP-T11 54*/58*

Putter: Scotty Cameron Sonoma

Follow your pro's advice - get a 4w or weak 3w cheap and then spend your time on the putting green - you'll only be hitting the fairway wood once or twice a round and you're hitting the putter 40 times.

Makes sense to invest the time and energy there -

Take a look at the lessons from the pro thread down in the lessons area and notice that one of our resident pros, James, is recommending spending our practice time on the practice green.

Like your pro I'm a big advocate of the 4w rather than the 3w for most players - much easier to hit the 4w and you'll hardly see any difference in distance because you'll hit the 4w more consistently - more loft, shorter shaft easier to hit.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

You said that you have ordered a 19* hybrid. Some say 19* hybrids are hard to hit. You maybe better off adding a more lofted one in addition to this one. My opinion is you would be better off hitting hybrids and irons or just irons than pulling out the 3 or 4 wood. Realistically, what I think is happening to you is on the 6 times you did not hit the fairway, you incurred a penalty stroke in addition to bad drive. You said you shot a 110 with 39 putts. Subtract 18 and 18 for drives and approach shot everyone will have (par) and you have 35 additional strokes. This is in penalties and and chips and recovering from bad shots that were part of the 36 (par)

Let's say you have a 360 yard hole and can hit a 6 iron 150 yards but straight. After two shots you find yourself 60 yards in front of the green which is usually open (bunkers are typically off to the sides.) and you bump it on the green and 2 putt for a 5. I suggest that you play a round with just a 6 iron. This will prove to you how much easier this game is when you are not trying to hit the ball 300 yards like Bubba.

The 40 and 43 putts are not good, but it is the 35 additional and penalty strokes that are killing you. A 3 or 4 metal is not necessarly the answer to a maiden prayers. Kittens and rainbows will not fall out of the sky when you get one. (JM, Rev, RPJ, all the regulars, the first use of the new catch phrase from SuperTuna) Short and straight is always better than long and curved.

I see three of our higher handicappers hit fairway metals way off line on every par 5 every week, when they would be much better off hitting 6 iron/6 iron instead of 3 wood/PW.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

KIttens and rainbows! :D

For the longest time my 3-wood was there only for decoration -- but started using it off the tee and found what that big green flat thing was in the middle of the meadow. I believe some of you refer to it as the fairway.

You may find you like the 3-wood off the tee very much. I very rarely take it out of the bag for use on the fairway. As RoverRick says -- short and straight is always better than long and curved...

Work on the putter -- was fitted for a putter this year and it has helped - along with some excellent instruction from my pro...

Good luck...

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

With your game still in a state of flux you might consider an adjustable fairway metal that allows you to adjust the loft a few degrees while you hone your swing in. Regardless, if you do want "rainbows and kittens to fall from the sky" ;) when you hit it, go and at least get fit for a SHAFT then pick a head to put it in.

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

• SPY VIP

I'll throw in my 2 cents as well...

Like others have said, work on the putting. Even a mediocre putter should average no more than 2 strokes per hole. Get yourself to that level and you'll save 7 strokes right there.

As to the original question...

The two that spring to mind are the PING K15 and the Boccieri Heavy FW. The PING is long and pretty damn straight. The Boccieri is the straightest fairway we've ever tested, but is certainly a bit shorter than most.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

thanks for all the advice, guys. you'll be glad to hear that my birdieball putting green, and putting fork is on its way, and that i just finished bob rotella's putting out of your mind. i have also been practising my putting, and as i am not playing this weekend, i will be putting in some more putting practice time. i am really intent on lowering my putts per round.

from what i have read, i think it might be better for me to first look at a 22* hybrid, rather than the 3 or 4 FW. i am quite confident with my driver from the tee currently, so if i won't be hitting the 4W from the tee, i won't be using it that much in a round. (i know that there is a very good case to be made for course management, which might bring the 4W into play more often from the tee box, but at this time i am confident with the driver, and at my skill level, confidence in a club makes the world of difference for on-course usage).

and to be honest, the 4H might be a better option in any case. at this time i am not confident at going for the green from more than 165 yards out (a good 6i, or a knockdown 5i at this stage). hopefully the hybrids will help in this regard as well. here's hoping...

The 40 and 43 putts are not good, but it is the 35 additional and penalty strokes that are killing you. A 3 or 4 metal is not necessarly the answer to a maiden prayers. Kittens and rainbows will not fall out of the sky when you get one. (JM, Rev, RPJ, all the regulars, the first use of the new catch phrase from SuperTuna) Short and straight is always better than long and curved.

RR, as for the round of 110 i did take a few penalties. but that was out of sheer stupidity. the first 9 holes, we were playing in extremely strong winds, and i was silly enough to keep hitting driver. call it whatever you want, pig-headedness, testosterone, but on the day i couldn't convince myself to go the safer route. at least now i have learnt the hard way. let's call it school fees...

in my last round (100 shots), i hit 9.14 FIR, and i didn't take any penalties driving. all of my misses were playable, and weren't in bad shape at all. most of my misses were just off the fairway. i did however take two penalties for hitting into the water. first penalty was when approaching the 9th green, and i was a bit ambitious going at the flag, where i should have gone for the bigger part of the green. i also under-clubbed on this shot.

the second penalty came on a 50 yard pitch shot i hit very fat and it went into the water.

i think both these penalties could have been avoided. i do struggle with my concentration at times, and am working on it.

again, thanks for all the comments.

Adams Idea A3 Boxer 19*

TMag Rocketbladez 4i-6i

Mizuno MP53 7i-PW

Bridgestone E6

Bobby Jones

Bobby Jones

I have told this story on another post, but in case you missed it here it is again. A couple of weeks ago, I had put a different shaft in some club heads. I had a 6 iron with a KBS Tour shaft, and a 7 iron with a DG X100. After the normal 18 on of the high handicap guys asked if I wanted to play some more. I said I wanted to try out the 6 iron some more, so we get to the tee and I pulled out the 6 iron. He said let's just use the 6 iron just for fun. So we even putted with it. We both lost some strokes out of bunkers with it but it was still fun. I forget exactly what we shot but I do remember he shot 5 strokes better than he did with all his clubs.

I think that the 4 hybrid is a much better investment than a 4 wood. There are a lot more scoring opportunities inside 200 than outside 200. I rarely even think of a 200 yard shot as a scoring opportunity. I think about those as where do I want to miss this at, not go for the flag. Also, as far as off of the tee, if the hole too short for a driver, use a hybrid, if I just want use the fairway metal to stay in the fairway, choke down on the driver and swing easy. This does not mean stop swinging, complete both turns just think of it as 3/4 swings. You may just find yourself driving it longer and straighter this way.

And the scoring is alway the short game.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

I have told this story on another post, but in case you missed it here it is again. A couple of weeks ago, I had put a different shaft in some club heads. I had a 6 iron with a KBS Tour shaft, and a 7 iron with a DG X100. After the normal 18 on of the high handicap guys asked if I wanted to play some more. I said I wanted to try out the 6 iron some more, so we get to the tee and I pulled out the 6 iron. He said let's just use the 6 iron just for fun. So we even putted with it. We both lost some strokes out of bunkers with it but it was still fun. I forget exactly what we shot but I do remember he shot 5 strokes better than he did with all his clubs.

I think that the 4 hybrid is a much better investment than a 4 wood. There are a lot more scoring opportunities inside 200 than outside 200. I rarely even think of a 200 yard shot as a scoring opportunity. I think about those as where do I want to miss this at, not go for the flag. Also, as far as off of the tee, if the hole too short for a driver, use a hybrid, if I just want use the fairway metal to stay in the fairway, choke down on the driver and swing easy. This does not mean stop swinging, complete both turns just think of it as 3/4 swings. You may just find yourself driving it longer and straighter this way.

And the scoring is alway the short game.

thanks, RR!

i will keep those things in mind. i think my driving improvement over the last couple of rounds, can mostly be ascribed to swinging fairly within myself. not trying to kill it. one of the fairways i did miss in my last round, was when i decided to really go after it. i actually outdrove my playing partners, but i was about 12 yards into the rough. luckily that course's rough isn't too punishing, and i had a decent shot from there.

but missing the fairway, quickly reminded me that i'm much better swinging easy and staying in the short stuff. and like you said, swinging easy didn't really mean shortening my drive all that much.

Adams Idea A3 Boxer 19*

TMag Rocketbladez 4i-6i

Mizuno MP53 7i-PW

Bridgestone E6

Bobby Jones

Bobby Jones

I really like my Mizuno JPX-800. Im not the best FW player in the world but I find my JPX-800 super easy to hit, even off of the deck.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

A more forgiving fwy wood you will not find.

1014806.jpg

COBRA KING LTD Matrix Ozik HD6

ADAMS Super S 3w & 5w Matrix Radix HD S VI

CLEVELAND GlideRail 20.5* Kuro Kage 80i

CALLAWAY Apex Forged 5-PW UST Recoil 680

INNOVEX Type S GDT 50* & 54* Kuro Kage 80i

ODYSSEY Tri-ball SRT 34"

You could even use the hybrid off the tee...and get pretty good distance. And make the same swing on 2nd shot...210yards, 210 yards, you are already hitting 420 yards...which are typical par 4 distance off white tee for most courses.

It will be easier to make same swing with same club twice than using 2 different clubs and try to make same swing 2 times.

Just because someone tees off with driver doesn't mean you have to do the same thing. I rather hit my 2nd shot off the short grass than from the forest.

Driver: Snake Eye 9.5* Python XLD w/ AXE FW Regular, tipped 1"

4 Wood: Bridgestone J40 with AXE FW Stiff

Hybrid 19*, Acer XF, FST 115 Pro, stiff

Hybrid 25*, Bobby Jones, stock shaft, stiff

Irons 4-6: Tommy Armour, 845c silverback forged, R300

Irons 7-P: Tommy Armour, 845m Silverback forged, S300

Wedges: 56* Eidolon; 60* Mizuno

Putter: SC - Monterey 35", stock weight

Balls: B-Stone B330RX-S

just a quick update, i got the 19* 3H i ordered second hand off ebay late last week. just in time for my round on saturday.

my new found confidence with the driver didn't last long, mostly because of the wind making my standard slice worse than usual. i foolishly kept hitting driver for the first 9, but managed to convince myself to try the hybrid off the tee for the second 9.

i was first up in our fourball, and we had a bit of a gallery of guys watching, and chirping our playing partners for the day (turned out the gallery consisted of our playing partners' bosses, and their friends). so their was a fair amount of back-and-forth...

anyway, i continued to stripe the hybrid straight down the middle of the fairway, and managed to get a few compliments from a not-too-friendly mob.

i kept hitting the hybrid off the tee, and managed to get it out somewhere between 215 and 235 yards, depending on whether the specific hole was up- or downhill. now, some of you will be saying that my yardages sound a bit long, but where i live in pretoria, south africa, we are WAY aboe sea level, and the ball travels close to 35yards further than it would at sea level, so keep that in mind. to illustrate my point, some of the guys i play with manage to hit 2/3 300 metre (not yards) drives per round, if all of the elements are in their favour.

i nearly managed to hit a green from 220 yards out. if the hole hadn't been uphill, i would reached a par 5 in two for the first time ever. just a pity i only managed a par on that hole. and i went over another hole when hitting from 200 yds out.

either way, i am sold on the hybrid. great option off the tee, much easier to hit compared to the driver. my ego will still make me hit the driver on the first couple of holes every time i go out, but now i have a go-to tee shot with the hybrid, which is a big comfort on the course.

and it also gives me a great option for going for the green from further out than before. i usually weren't very confident of coming close to the green approaching from further out than 150m (about 165yds).

Adams Idea A3 Boxer 19*

TMag Rocketbladez 4i-6i

Mizuno MP53 7i-PW

Bridgestone E6

Bobby Jones

Bobby Jones

Congrats on finding a hybrid.

I would suggest for first couple of holes, use the hybrid to get your confidence, then try to whack your driver away and let it sail...

When I know I am not completely warmed up, I use hybrid (19*) first 2 holes, then move upto my 4 wood (16*), then probably by hole number 6 or 7, give the driver a chance...

Always better to give yourself pat on the back for hitting the fairway in first couple of holes, which will do so much for your round.

When that happens, you will notice something funny happen...I bet your playing partners will bring out the shorter wood or hybrid when their driver struggles.

Name of this game is to shoot low scores, not who can hit the ball the longest. What is the point of hitting 300 yard drive, where it goes 200yards straight with 150 yards left or right, right?

Have a great time!!!

Driver: Snake Eye 9.5* Python XLD w/ AXE FW Regular, tipped 1"

4 Wood: Bridgestone J40 with AXE FW Stiff

Hybrid 19*, Acer XF, FST 115 Pro, stiff

Hybrid 25*, Bobby Jones, stock shaft, stiff

Irons 4-6: Tommy Armour, 845c silverback forged, R300

Irons 7-P: Tommy Armour, 845m Silverback forged, S300

Wedges: 56* Eidolon; 60* Mizuno

Putter: SC - Monterey 35", stock weight

Balls: B-Stone B330RX-S

Congrats on finding a hybrid.

I would suggest for first couple of holes, use the hybrid to get your confidence, then try to whack your driver away and let it sail...

When I know I am not completely warmed up, I use hybrid (19*) first 2 holes, then move upto my 4 wood (16*), then probably by hole number 6 or 7, give the driver a chance...

Always better to give yourself pat on the back for hitting the fairway in first couple of holes, which will do so much for your round.

When that happens, you will notice something funny happen...I bet your playing partners will bring out the shorter wood or hybrid when their driver struggles.

Name of this game is to shoot low scores, not who can hit the ball the longest. What is the point of hitting 300 yard drive, where it goes 200yards straight with 150 yards left or right, right?

Have a great time!!!

that sounds like a handy tip, dooboo! will definitely be trying it out over the weekend.

being a high handicapper, confidence early on makes the world of difference to my round.

Adams Idea A3 Boxer 19*

TMag Rocketbladez 4i-6i

Mizuno MP53 7i-PW

Bridgestone E6

Bobby Jones

Bobby Jones

Archived