Testers Announced! Evnroll and Precision Pro ×

Sand Valley: Trip of a lifetime

Posted (edited)

Boarding my flight back from Sand Valley and Lawsonia Links. I travel for golf a lot, and I can tell you this is undoubtedly on par or better than any other golf resort in the world. 

We arrived on Thursday and immediately looped the Lido course, which is the newest Sand Valley course (although they’re about to open Tom Doak’s Sedge Valley this July). The Lido is a rebuilt course that’s a carbon copy of a 1920’s Long Island Club whose course was lost during WW2. The course is littered with blind tee shots, deceptive bunkering, and MASSIVE greens, the 18th green is over 22,000 sq ft. After that 18, we bounced over to the Sandbox, the Coore & Crenshaw designed 17 hole short course. Following a dinner at the new Italian restaurant, we packed it in early cause Friday was set up to be a marathon.

With a 7:40 tee time on Sand Valley, the original 18, we set out on what can only be described as a golf sickos perfect day. 18 holes at Sand Valley then 5 $1 tacos and 3 $2 beers then a sprint back to the short course sandbox to play 17 holes barefoot. Once we finished at the Sandbox, we all sat down for another beer and a 30 min break before we finished our day at Mammoth Dunes, the David Mclay Kidd designed course and the most fun golf you’ll ever play. After a quick thunderstorm that blew through while we were on 15 tee, we finished the last 4 holes in absolutely perfect weather that you can see in photos below. Somehow after 53 holes of just pure golf our day got better when Friday night we got to sit outside our room and watch the northern lights dance over our heads  

IMG_1151_VSCO.jpeg.b2237305ce41f4485023d02ce1ca3fa8.jpegFullSizeRender_VSCO.jpeg.6addc915bdebe56157b0b2494bb262bd.jpegIMG_4234.jpeg.6730c3ec26e22d34e962d178e11d160e.jpeg

IMG_1247_VSCO.jpeg.efb9951a97ac1eb1f7cae13bc0a0d26f.jpeg

After Friday, we played 18 more at mammoth dunes in the morning in extremely windy and tough conditions then drove over to Green Lake, Wi to play a local muni, White Lake Golf Course and Sunday morning woke up to play Lawsonia Links, another outstanding track. 

159 holes of golf later, I’m beatdown and tired but couldn’t be much happier. 

IMG_1252_VSCO.jpeg

Edited by TCUfrog

:taylormade-small: Qi10, Kai'ali White 6-X

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 14, Motore X F1 60 Stiff

:taylormade-small: Sim2 3 Hybrid and 4 Hybrid

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro, 5-PW, Nippon Modus 105

:taylormade-small: MG3 50, 54, 58, SB - Black

:bettinardi-small: Queen B #6

Vice Golf Pro Plus

Currently Testing: T Squared TS-912 Putter 

• 2 weeks later...

I am from WI and may be looking to do a day trip here for 36 later this year.  However, if you ever do this trip again, I would highly recommend playing Lac La Belle in Oconomowoc.  Was my favorite course I played last year.

Callaway Paradym w/ Ventus TR Black 7x shaft

Taylormade Sim 2 Ti 3 wood

Taylormade Stealth 3 Hybrid

Srixon MKII ZX5 4-PW

Titleist SM8/9 Vokey Wedges in 50, 54, 58 in Black

Cobra King 3D Grandsport 35 Black Putter