Takomo Long Game - 2024 Forum Review

Message added by MGS-Forum-Mod,

14 hours ago, Rob Person said:

How are the grips and shaft feeling? I have a 25 year-old 22⁰ utility iron that I'm 50/50 using.  Had to take it out of the bag because of inconsistent shot patterns. Bit when I hit it well, that thing let the ball soar!

I will say that I honestly just realized that I don't know if I updated this point - thank you for asking!  I play midsize grips in all my clubs, and so blew those on the clubs the night before leaving for the outing we had in Virginia.  

While I can't say it's 100% the grips, the difference in ball flight I was getting from the first swings was pretty amazing.  Admittedly, I had a) no glove on, and b) not properly warmed up before hitting them; but all that said, I had NO snap-hooks to the left the whole 4 days.  I DID still have a baby draw on them, with one that got a little leaky to the right, as well, but the vast majority were straight and strong (other than the one I topped and one I hit 8" behind the ball, lol).

Driver - Callaway Ai Smoke Max - 9* - Draw setting; Maltby UL (Otto Phlex)
5/7 Wood - Takomo Ignis
Utility - Caley X01 Driving Iron (3 = 18*) (currently benched)
Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T
Wedges (48, 52, 56, 60) - Indi Wedges FLX 48 / ATK 52, 56, 60
Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 - 65*/DF3 65*
Ball - Chrome Tour Triple-Track

Posted (edited)
On 5/29/2024 at 9:03 PM, buckpillar said:

@Rob Person I bought the 3 iron Utility with the KBS graphite shaft, I will let you know how it reacts once I get some more reps under the belt. I have played it for only 18 holes and the shots I did use it on I hit some rockets with control.

So where in your bag does the 3 utility iron fit? What are its close neighbors? Did you replace another club specifically with it? 

Edited by ToastedSoul

---

On 6/3/2024 at 11:43 AM, ToastedSoul said:

Short update:

Takomo just sent me a confirmation that another package will be shipped out soon.

🤞 Crossing fingers that this makes it across my doorstep soon, hopefully still this week!

They are en route and expected to be delivered by tomorrow evening. 

---

35 minutes ago, ToastedSoul said:

They are en route and expected to be delivered by tomorrow evening. 

I can feel your anticipation from here!!!

WITB-

Driver  -Titleist 910D, 3w- Titleist 910F, 5hy/7hy- Titleist 910H, 6-PW - Stix , 52⁰, 56⁰, 60⁰ - Stix , Putter- AI-ONE DB / Lombardi Tour 34 custom

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

3 hours ago, ToastedSoul said:

So where in your bag does the 3 utility iron fit? What are its close neighbors? Did you replace another club specifically with it? 

I carry it as a 3 iron, my irons are 4-Pw, all 3 woods putter and wedges to fill out the set. 

Jeff "PUTSO" Pillar

buckpillar@gmail.com

Posted (edited)
On 6/4/2024 at 1:31 PM, Rob Person said:

I can feel your anticipation from here!!!

I checked the tracking a couple of times today, not much was happening. Finally it popped up in Germany. Now I got a DHL message that it is delayed again. 🤔 So not today then. 

Also, the missing parts for my golf net/cage got finally delivered. Just not to my home address, for whatever reason. So I will have to pick up those in Germany some day. 

I hope this streak of unfortunate events will soon be over and I can at finally enjoy hitting those fine looking woods and see if they deliver on their promise!

Edited by ToastedSoul

---

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Big Deal Walsh said:

Look what showed up today! I’m glad they came today so I’m not stressing about the UPS guy on my birthday tomorrow. I can’t tell you how many times I checked my doorstep this morning 😂

IMG_2421.jpeg

So I guess now it's time...

Happy Birthday @Big Deal Walsh 🎉🎊🎈🥳🎊🎉

Enjoy unwrapping those boxes! 
(I just assumed you did not open them upon arrival 🙈)

Edited by ToastedSoul

---

5 hours ago, ToastedSoul said:

So I guess now it's time...

Happy Birthday @Big Deal Walsh 🎉🎊🎈🥳🎊🎉

Enjoy unwrapping those boxes! 
(I just assumed you did not open them upon arrival 🙈)

Thank you! As soon as I took this picture.. those boxes didn't stand a chance! I'm going to the simulator tonight and then hitting up the course this weekend. So excited to hit these things. 

52 minutes ago, ToastedSoul said:

Guess who was stuck in a 3-hour meeting at work today!

I feel your pain.  Same boat here.  Not sure if they can tell all I'm thinking about in golf league tonight 😀

Driver - Stix Compete
7W - :ping-small: G5
9W - :callaway-small: Big Bertha War Bird
5H/SW - :callaway-small:Edge 
6H - :ping-small: G15
5-PW - :macgregor-small: MT-86 OS
56 - Kirkland Signature 
Putter - :odyssey-small: White Hot Pro

Finished the birthday off in the simulator.. played 18 at Gozzer ranch and shot a +1! 🔥 

In my warm up I hit some wedges, irons, and then tried the new clubs. I hit 5 balls each with the 3 & 5 wood and I was VERY impressed. I decided to hit the ground running and the results speak for themselves.

First impressions were how nice they felt. I haven’t messed around with fairway woods too much, but these felt AMAZING and very easy to swing. 

I have another sim day coming up and these will see the course this weekend. 🔥

NO returns for damaged items!!! 😆 

WITB-

Driver  -Titleist 910D, 3w- Titleist 910F, 5hy/7hy- Titleist 910H, 6-PW - Stix , 52⁰, 56⁰, 60⁰ - Stix , Putter- AI-ONE DB / Lombardi Tour 34 custom

Well well well... The 3 wood and 5 wood have played 2 rounds on the course. If I had to choose a word for these clubs I would choose CONFIDENCE. These clubs did exactly what I needed and felt so good. I honestly haven't played too many woods prior to this, but I can assure that these are going to elevate my game faster than Space X is going to space. I didn't know how I would feel about a 5 wood, but it is without a doubt my favorite club to hit at the moment. 🔥

2 hours ago, ToastedSoul said:

Note: These are professional stunt clubs, do not try this with your own clubs!

No reason to worry, the clubs survived the rough landing with ease!

I unboxed and assembled the clubs. So gorgeous to look at:

unboxing-01.png.03addba547c7f04cf33c37962499b574.png

unboxing-02.png.117a8d7dce7e583c28cffb52fe35455f.png

unboxing-03.png.dab44ce820add6fe6054a6b945377d30.png

unboxing-04.png.1a2fa78610e722ff9a15154e9767ed8a.png

unboxing-05.png.225fa96a9e989231a7ae2a35c9e50013.png

unboxing-06.png.b93f0b5f01715ca79cbc4a465e77d7d9.png

Loving those headcovers!

In my Big Max hybrid bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:wilson_staff_small: D200 6i-GW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:maxfli: Tour S

6 hours ago, ToastedSoul said:

Note: These are professional stunt clubs, do not try this with your own clubs!

No reason to worry, the clubs survived the rough landing with ease!

I unboxed and assembled the clubs. So gorgeous to look at:

unboxing-01.png.03addba547c7f04cf33c37962499b574.png

unboxing-02.png.117a8d7dce7e583c28cffb52fe35455f.png

unboxing-03.png.dab44ce820add6fe6054a6b945377d30.png

unboxing-04.png.1a2fa78610e722ff9a15154e9767ed8a.png

unboxing-05.png.225fa96a9e989231a7ae2a35c9e50013.png

unboxing-06.png.b93f0b5f01715ca79cbc4a465e77d7d9.png

Beautiful!

WITB-

Well.. I will be off the grid for the week to build the family cabin, but I'll leave you with a little update. This 5 wood has become my best friend 😁. I get very consistent numbers with the 3 and 5 wood. I haven't made any adjustments on the sleeve, just put it on neutral. This next week I will mess around with the adjustability. 

Viewrecentphotos.jpeg.6c50e757e6f34db9bfd5ac15022429b8.jpeg

Quick update - didn't get to play this week, unfortunately, but DID get to the range twice, on successive days - once with the little man in tow, which was a blast.  I worked with the 5 and 7-woods a LOT these past two days, trying to dial in different flights and to truly get a sense of how far they were going.  I used my PRGR monitor to get a sense of club head speed as well as expected carry, and then compared that with what I was physically seeing on the range.  

According to PRGR, my 5-wood was flying (on a truly nutted one) approximately 220, which is EXACTLY what I was hoping for - 220 carry and rolling out to 230/240.  My 7-wood was flying almost exactly 200 (good one was 205, which is ideal).

The thing that has genuinely astounded me, after switching over to midsize grips, is that these feel nearly impossible to hit badly.  Don't get me wrong: I'm still VERY capable of a bad strike, but the overwhelming confidence I have swinging these and knowing the ball is going to go, fast and straight, is incredible.  

So much so that I'm VERY strongly considering purchasing the 3-wood from Takomo and dropping my 60-degree wedge from my bag.  With the set-up I have now, with the 5-wood turned down 1 degree (16) and the 7-wood turned to 20-degrees, a 3-wood slotting in at 13 (turned down 2) should give some really good gapping and numbers.  Even if I were to turn the 3 to 14, put the 5 back to 17 and then the 7 to either 20 or 21, I think it would solve that end of the bag for me in a way that's NEVER been exciting.  

Just for reference - I had TWO guys come up to me on these last two days at the range, one each day, and tell me to "be careful, there are cars back there" (meaning over the net).  Now, I was definitely not in danger of hitting it a) over the net (would need to carry 300+ to do so) nor b) into the cars on the highway 2 miles away, but... it DID feel good to know that I wasn't the only one marveling at the consistency with which these things launch.  

In short: I'm a big, big fan of these, and for the first time in a long time, I'm really excited to see what happens on some par 5s 🙂

5/7 Wood - Takomo Ignis
Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T

1 hour ago, GolfSpy SAM said:

Quick update - didn't get to play this week, unfortunately, but DID get to the range twice, on successive days - once with the little man in tow, which was a blast.  I worked with the 5 and 7-woods a LOT these past two days, trying to dial in different flights and to truly get a sense of how far they were going.  I used my PRGR monitor to get a sense of club head speed as well as expected carry, and then compared that with what I was physically seeing on the range.  

According to PRGR, my 5-wood was flying (on a truly nutted one) approximately 220, which is EXACTLY what I was hoping for - 220 carry and rolling out to 230/240.  My 7-wood was flying almost exactly 200 (good one was 205, which is ideal).

The thing that has genuinely astounded me, after switching over to midsize grips, is that these feel nearly impossible to hit badly.  Don't get me wrong: I'm still VERY capable of a bad strike, but the overwhelming confidence I have swinging these and knowing the ball is going to go, fast and straight, is incredible.  

So much so that I'm VERY strongly considering purchasing the 3-wood from Takomo and dropping my 60-degree wedge from my bag.  With the set-up I have now, with the 5-wood turned down 1 degree (16) and the 7-wood turned to 20-degrees, a 3-wood slotting in at 13 (turned down 2) should give some really good gapping and numbers.  Even if I were to turn the 3 to 14, put the 5 back to 17 and then the 7 to either 20 or 21, I think it would solve that end of the bag for me in a way that's NEVER been exciting.  

Just for reference - I had TWO guys come up to me on these last two days at the range, one each day, and tell me to "be careful, there are cars back there" (meaning over the net).  Now, I was definitely not in danger of hitting it a) over the net (would need to carry 300+ to do so) nor b) into the cars on the highway 2 miles away, but... it DID feel good to know that I wasn't the only one marveling at the consistency with which these things launch.  

In short: I'm a big, big fan of these, and for the first time in a long time, I'm really excited to see what happens on some par 5s 🙂

Sounds awesome glad you enjoy them. I really like midsized grips too. Can't wait to hear how the par 5s go.

I'm good at wedge dribbling

I got out to play a round yesterday.. On every Par 4, I used either the 3 wood or 5 wood off the T. Both clubs perform as I need them to. Something that I really noticed was the feeling and sound that is made when hitting the ball. I am not a fan of hollow sounding clubs that have a "ting" sound to it, so these sound SO good to me. I hear a lower tone "crushing" sound when I hit the ball... maybe it's just me, but it doesn't sound like a cheap club and I like that a lot. 

How has contact on the fairways been for consistency vs on a tee?

Any adjustments between them for optimal shots?

WITB-

14 minutes ago, Rob Person said:

I've used the 5 wood more from the fairway and some rough more than the 3 wood because I get a higher launch and can stop it easier than the 3 wood. That being said, I haven't had any issues with consistency. I seem like a major fanboy, but the 5 wood has easily become my favorite club. 

5-wood off the tee is pretty much automatic at this point.  Used it multiple times on Friday, anywhere I needed from 200 to 230 to give myself a look on a shorter par-4.  Used the 7-wood off the tee 2x on par-3s that were anywhere from 185 to 200 - actually hit the green on the longer of the two but had it skip just over the green onto the fringe.

For me, so far, they're ideal off the deck - immediately up in the air and strong flights.  Had 240 left on a par 5 and ended up 10 yards shy of the green (thanks to some baked out fairways, lol - wasn't the world's best strike but it was dead straight and rolled up to the fringe).  

They're doing everything I was hoping they would - and they look good doing it 🙂

5/7 Wood - Takomo Ignis
Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T

7 hours ago, Rob Person said:

Good question @Rob Person, for me the tee and fairway has been neglidgable, I had an important second shot on the Par 5 fifth hole on the weekend, I blocked my drive into the trees and it spit out onto the fairway but a long way back, I pulled out my Takomo 3 wood and rifled it straight as a dye down the fairway to 126 yds to the hole. Today on the driving range I was working on my 7 wood, the impact was perfect, lots of height and straight at the  target. 

committed to performance excellence