TESTERS WANTED! ×

While reading the thread on Golf Myths, I noticed that distance that you hit with the clubs seems to be a recuring theme. Most people overestimate the distance that each club goes and tend to exaggerate their distances. If you do this on the course you are only fooling yourself, and costing yourself strokes. I know that before I got the Sky Caddie (with its "Soviet-designed" power cord that now needs to be replaced for the sixth time in 4 years:angry:) (I have it strapped on with a rubber band) (please excuse the rant but it is a horrible design) I may have overestimated distances but now it is pretty set.

I do on occasions wack the driver much longer than others, but that is mainly because of the hole layout. Lately, on one hole, a par 5 that is shielded by trees so wind does not affect it, and the ground is hard, I have been averaging over 300 yards with the driver with the last 5 out 6 going 330, but not on other holes, the average is 275. On two holes I get 300 but one is on a hill, and one has really hard ground, but I will take it. Another is all up hill and I get between 260 and 275. Still others, I may average 250-260, so the driver is all over the board.

When you watch golf on TV you see these guys hitting an 8 iron 195 yards. Well, I would have to hit it twice. So I thought I would come clean with my true distances. These are real numbers that I know I can hit these clubs. And they are carry numbers. Even though I have lowered my spin numbers signiicantly, I only get a yard or two of roll most of the time. I can hit the knock down shot that will run but that is not normal.

I get very consistant distances with the hybrids and mid irons off the tee, but short irons off the tee, I get less distance for some reason. This is why I do not use a tee on anything less than a 7 iron.

Because I have two sets of clubs, I do have two different distances I hit each club. They are different length shafts, but the odd thing is the shorter shafts go farther. But we are only talking a half of club. In this set of irons, I have standard length shafts, but the two hybrids are not hybrid shafts or even hybrid length shafts. These are standard length KBS C Tapers 3 and 4 iron shafts with hybrid heads on them. I probably get 15 more yards out of these off a tee.

Driver 265
3Wood (42") 235
17H (3 iron shaft) 210
21H (4iron shaft) 195
5i 180
6i 169
7i 158
8i 146
9i 137
PW 126
GW 115

All distances except for the driver are off the ground lengths not off the tee. Also, these are repeatable distances. By that I mean with a 75 or 80% swing. I have hit the GW 145 yards (once) when I had to clear a tree and go as far as I could. If I swung like that all the time I would mishit and probably only achieve that distance 1 in 9 times and go 50 yards 7 of 9 times. With this swing I can get with in a few yards of this 8 or more times out of 9. I warm up before every round hitting 7 irons across the range at the 150 sign that the sky caddie says is 157 yards away. Probably a little more than half are just over the sign.

Post your distances, and remember, the actual number is insignificant, it is the repeatability that counts.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well before I post this I want to say that there are elements that change and dictate a distance on any given shot. Wind, Elevation changes on the course, sea level, humidity, turf conditions all effect ball flight and distance.

I know of one example on the web.com tour where the guys were hitting 9irons and 8 irons into a par 5 green at 195yards, the thing that the announcers really didn't mention is that shot was 20 to 25 mph down wind, the flag was bending visibly on TV that's how hard the wind was blowing. Of course 20+ mph down wind I can hit my 8 iron to 195 as well.

One of the tricks that the PGA Superstore used to implement is setting the wind to be 10mph down wind and the ground to be very hard. These two conditions are of course going to make you hit longer shots then if the ground was super soft and no wind or even into the wind. They are in the business to sell clubs and are as bad as the OEMs about slight of hand to sell that equipment at times. That is besides the point just an example of altering distances.

At Duke number 7 is a downhill dog leg right par 5, I average 310-330 on that hole. Number 17 is a uphill par 4 that I average 250-260 yards off the tee and that's hit really well. Hole 7 hardly ever plays into the wind and 17 seems to always play into the wind. Hole 17 and Hole 18 play way longer then what they say on the card, Hole 7 plays a little shorter then what it says it is on the card.

I pretty much know within +/- 2 yards how far all my clubs will carry on average with no wind and no weird elevation changes. Sea level / humidity might change this a little, this data is based on just playing over the years honestly actual course results rather then LM results. I rarely ever hit a wedge shot full steam anymore. I would use a 56* at 100 yards or even a 52* way more then I will a 60*. Total are going to be very different for a driver then it will be a wedge at this carry distance.

These distances represent a in control swing, I'm sure I could get another 10 to 15 yards out of all my clubs if I went after it. I have hit a 7 iron to a 196 carry a few times in an LM screwing around the total was about 200 yards lol.

9.3* (Driver) ~ 285 low, 290 average, 300 max carry (ball speeds from 165 to 172, average 168)

16.5* (4 wood) ~ 265

19* (hybrid) ~ 235

21* (3i) ~ 226

24* (4i) ~ 216

27* (5i) ~ 207

31* (6i) ~ 196

35* (7i) ~ 183

39* (8i) ~ 169

43* (9i) ~ 155

47* (PW) ~ 141

52* (GW) ~ 127

56* (SW) ~ 113

60* (LW) ~ 99

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

With no wind, no elevation changes, and fairways that do not run forever, these are my distances:

10.5* (D): 285

17*(4W): 255

19* (3H): 225

22* (4H): 210

27* (5i): 190

30* (6i): 180

33* (7i): 165

37* (8i): 155

41* (9i): 135

45* (PW): 120

55* (SW): 105

60* (LW):85

62*: 65

Those are my distances with a controlled swing. With my driver I have gotten 15+ yards if I go after it, but I do not do that anymore and won't until the new driver comes in (Stupid Shaft making me snap hook..). I have actually been swinging the Driver very easy because it is only a stiff shaft and I am worried about the hook coming into play. The shaft on the new driver is a VTS Black 75 X-Stiff shaft. Off the tee I hit my 4 wood around 10 yards farther, and I never try to crank it up of the turf. That is a consistent 255 off the fairway. All of the other clubs I can get around 10 yards more, but I do not try anymore, and I have seen myself get better because of that.

Inside My Blue Callaway Warbird X Golf Stand Bag:

Driver:Nike SQ 10.5* with Graphite Design Y6+

3W:Cobra S2 14*

4W: Nike SQ Dymo 17*

3H and 4H: Taylormade Rescue 19* and 22*

5H: Cleveland Mashie 23*

6H: Adams a3os Hollow-Back

7Iron-Sand Wedge:Callaway X-20 Series with Callaway Steel

Lob Wedge (60*):Cleveland CG-12 Black Pearl with Cleveland TRaction Steel Wedge Flex

Putter: Odyssey Versa #9

Golfball: Callaway Hex Black Tour

I honestly can't give you distances with my irons, since becoming a feel player, for example I'll hit my 8i anywhere from 125 with a high cut to 180 with a low screaming draw. I really dont even know my max distances anymore as I just always take "enough" club and work it accordingly; my preferred shot is a high draw. I can easily hit my driver over 300, but average 280ish with my controlled swing. Off the tee I hit my 3w about 260 and my 18* hybrid about 245. I gave up caring about distance three years ago and I haven't looked back; I used to force myself to hit my 5i 205, now I prefer to hit a smooth super high 3i. Yesterday I played the course I grew up on; the 17th is a 198yd par 3 and I've always hit a 5 or 6 iron (never with much accuracy), I choked down a little on a 3i and hit a baby draw into orbit and landed it 3' from the hole and made birdie for only the 2nd time ever.

Mine are a little shorter than RR

Normal swing, not trying to alter trajectory (or anything else that will often result in me hitting a crappy shot)

Driver: 245

16.5Ëš wood: 225

20.5Ëš wood: 200

25Ëš Hybrid: 175

6i: 155

7i: 145

8i: 135

9i: 125

PW: 110

50Ëš wedge: 100

54Ëš wedge: 85

58Ëš wedge: 70

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

After today's round I may have to alter this. Hit my driver 5 times and never cleared the 180 mark, and never came close to the fairway. Played 27 holes and the driver was horrible most of the day. This is very unusual for me.

Long story short, I found myself on the last tee box.(27th) hole, one behind two other guys. They teed off and were not in the fairway. If I win the hole by two I am the big winner. If not I am one of the 7 losers. Out comes the driver, and boom. 295 to 300 right down the middle, 198 to flag, Hybrid up the side of the green and a 12 footer for eagle. Make the eagle, and the other two guys end up bogeying the hole so I won.

When someone says the average golfer doesn't know their distances. . .ok fine. The average golfer also shoots over 100.

I doubt this applies to most of the people that find their way here, and can't apply to anyone that claims a single digit handicap. You simply don't get there without knowing how far you can hit it.

Yes, some of us probably overestimate our average drive, but what difference does that make in scoring? Usually not much, you hit the driver how far you hit it. Not many 250-320 yard par 3s or 4s out there that I've seen. If you say you hit it 280, and really only average 265, on your 425 yard par 4 you're still coming in with an iron, and doubtful you put it right where you thought you were going to.

I don't know my precise distance, because it doesn't exist. I could go hit 50 8 irons on the range and tell you I average 155, and that means little on a given day on the course. That would be a combination of 140 yard shots off the toe and 160 yard perfect draws.

I think of my irons in 10-15 yard gaps. A 150 yard shot could be a 9 iron. It could also be a 7 iron. It depends on the temperature, the wind, elevation compared to the hole, the lie, uphill, downhill. . .it depends how I'm swinging that day, it depends on whether I'm going to try to hit it hard or maybe ease up a bit. I think of my 8 iron as my 155 club. I think of my 9 as my 140 club. I think of my PW as a 125 club. But when it comes time to put the ball on the green, I could hit any of those 3 clubs to any of those distances depending on variables. I guess maybe that's why I'm a 6 instead of a 2.

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

It's a mistake to pay attention to someone else' numbers. You have to develop your own or you will be wrong way often. Likewise, bag composition is personal. It's defined by what you can do with the clubs available to you.

Shambles

Driver 9.5* ~ 260 yards

3W 15* ~ 220

3Hy 18* ~ 210

4i 24* ~ 195

5i 27* ~ 185

6i 30* ~ 175

7i 34* ~ 165

8i 38* ~ 150

9i 42* ~ 130

PW 46* ~ 110

GW 50* ~ 100

SW 54* ~ 85

LW 58* ~ 60

Don't know why, but I have a huge gap on my 9 and 8 irons :lol:

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

I think of my irons in 10-15 yard gaps. A 150 yard shot could be a 9 iron. It could also be a 7 iron. It depends on the temperature, the wind, elevation compared to the hole, the lie, uphill, downhill. . .it depends how I'm swinging that day, it depends on whether I'm going to try to hit it hard or maybe ease up a bit. I think of my 8 iron as my 155 club. I think of my 9 as my 140 club. I think of my PW as a 125 club. But when it comes time to put the ball on the green, I could hit any of those 3 clubs to any of those distances depending on variables. I guess maybe that's why I'm a 6 instead of a 2.

Thats what I was getting at; I don't have average distances, because I'll hit anything from anywhere, I have max distances that I can hit an iron, but I very rarely go full out with anything besides 3i or 4i.

As far as being a 6 instead of a 2, it has nothing to do with having consistent distances (well it does, but you know what I mean), it's about getting some putts to drop. I played just as good at a 6 as I am at a 3.5, the only difference is getting some of the 15 footers to drop. I start getting a few more to drop and I'll shave off more strokes. I've never been one of the guys that goes out and sticks it inside 15' every time, I'm a "get it in the green anywhere and take my two putts for par" kind of player; sometimes I make them and shoot 68, other times I miss and shoot 78.

I hear ya JBones, and for some reason my putting has gone cold recently! I'm actually scoring better and my handicap is dropping slightly even with the putting woes. I don't really 3 putt much, but I am not making many birdie putts given how many good ones I get to attempt. Combine a hot round with the putter with the way I've been playing and I could go really low (for me). Just hasn't really happened yet. Isn't that typical golf? Get one thing figured out, and another causes problems!

The thing with distance control, and this is something I've very much improved on this year, is that you not only have to know how far you hit it, you also have to know where to aim it to give you the best chance. The better you can control the distance of course, the more options you have for where you can safely aim and the more aggressive you can be.

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

I find that off the tee, my distances are up there with the 'long' hitters I play with at over 240. However, once I get into the fairway, I typically play a club down from the same guys. I *can* go as long as them with the same clubs, but I'd rather go down a club, sing a smoother tempo and swing with greater accuracy than measure penis size with a club number.

During the summer, my 150 club is a 7i

Dru - Owner, President & Janitor, Druware Software Designs

RH 13.1 Handicap in soggy Georgia 

WITB
* 1W 10.5* @ PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 3W PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff ) 
* 5W 18* Tailor-made AeroBurner ( Stock Stiff )
* 7W  Sub70 949x ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 5i-PW @ PXG 0211 ( Gen 1 )
* 52 @ Hogan Equalizer
* 56 @ Sub70 
* 60 @ Hogan Equalizer
* Carbon Ringo 1/4
* Vice Pro Plus

Okay I'll play - the average drive of an 18 handicapper is 210 and the average drive of a single digit handicapper is 245.

Here's what I work with on the course - My current index is 1.8. I don't know what will happen to it as I finally play 18 for the first time in over a month and as I recover from pneumonia but I generally stay in the low 2's when I'm in my competitive season (June-October) and have been able to stay under 2 for 3 or 4 revisions in the past.

All of these distances are at sea level with no wind and include run out. The shorter the iron the less the difference between run out distance and carry although the carries are all towards the short end of the ranges that I provide.

Driver 240 (220 carry - I really will only risk a carry of 215 to be safe and that 240 comes from those times when it's drier and I hit them 250 to 260 plus those times when it's not - this time of year its more like 230)

3 Wood 200 - 215 (it's 10 yards longer if I have my long 3 wood in the bag but it creates a gap)

5 Wood 190-205 (when hit full I carry both 3 wood and 5 wood between 195 and 200)

4 hybrid 180 - 190

5 hybrid 168-180

6 iron 155-167

7 iron 144-154

8 iron 132-143

9 iron 120-131

PW 105-119

Gap 90-104

SW 75-89

LW 60-74

When I'm playing in tournaments with golfers of my ability and age (I'm 55 and play in the senior division) I'm middle of the pack distance wise. I'd say that the longest guy I play with regularly averages 270 off the tee. We used to have a guy in our league who left when he turned 50 to pursue the senior tour (he's gotten nowhere). He had a plus handicap for those who wish to follow in his footsteps - the handicap varied between plus 1 and plus 3. He often would make it to the field portion of the US mid-Am and made it to the quarters a couple of times. The last I saw him was three years ago when he came back from playing in the Senior Open. He normally was an iron longer than me when we played together and about 20 yards longer off the tee.

Interestingly whenever I've played in scrambles I've won my share of longest drive prizes - In fact I did so twice last year out of the five scrambles that I played in. It's not that I was the longest guy in the field - it's that I hit a solid drive in the fairway at the right time - one of those winning longest drives was 243 - the other one was 275 - it was early in the season on a downwind hole and I caught the hard slot in the fairway. There were over 100 players of all shapes and sizes in both events.

When you see the pros hitting 8 iron 190 you have to remember that they are the very best players in the world playing their very best golf on a course that is fast and firm - you can't see the topography or feel the wind - you don't even know what loft their 8 iron is or whether the caddy giving the signal has told the truth. We do know that according to shot link the average distance that a touring pro hits a 5 iron from the fairway in competition is 185. Last week Zach Johnson hit 6 iron from 195 out of the trap but if you watched closely he carried it around 175 as it had significant run out to it.

All you can do is evaluate your own yardages and make sure you cover the gaps by your set make up. My 6 iron may be different from yours - my gap wedge is my Ping Eye 2 pitching wedge - there was a day when that and my sand wedge were the only two wedges in my bag - as lofts have gotten stronger my set make up has radically adjusted.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Overestimating distances, and golfers? Never... Bass fishermen don't lie about how large the fish they don't bring home were either.

As for myself, I check my numbers occasionally on a LM, and I also check my numbers every time I get new clubs (which is a lot, so I'm checking them a lot). Here's mine currently (carry distances, I don't concern myself with roll, because that's not anything one can accurately gauge nor measure unless they have someone physically out on the range marking where the ball hits and where it ends up). I know how to account for roll and how to vary whether my ball spins back or where it stops dead or whether it releases with my irons and wedges. I vary my setup depending on course conditions/layout. Carry distances with ball in normal playing position, nor forward or back in stance from normal position to add loft or deloft

Driver: 287.4 yards

13* 3 wood: 255.6 yards

18* 5 wood: 233.2 yards

21* hybrid: 211.7 yards

4 iron: 202.1 yards

5 iron: 193.2 yards

6 iron: 182.1 yards

7 iron: 171.4 yards

8 iron: 160.3 yards

9 iron: 149.2 yards

PW: 138.7 yards

51* GW: 122.1 yards

56* SW: 109.9 yards

60* LW: 99.3 yards

64* XW: 81.3 yards

Yes, I realize there are some gaps larger than 10 yards in there, but these are numbers that work for me, and what I have charted on my club distance chart. Also, I've yet to get numbers on my 3 iron, as I haven't checked it in a while and usually don't even assemble it, lol.

The iron set I'm wanting to buy, I was absolutely smashing, and the flex was a half a flex stiffer than my current irons. That said, I don't want to get rid of my current setup either, but I do want that new (see new to me) set to compare them with.

Oh, and Rev, must be something with the Eye2 PW, cause that's what my GW is as well, an Eye2 BeCu PW bent to 51 degrees. Has the TISandvik Titanium shaft in it and I'm scared to mess with anything on it, so I've never changed it, LOL.

Looks like I'll be making a trip back to the LM soon, though, cause the new Fast12 LS will be here today and the club I bought for the shaft to pull and put in a 9015d will be here as well. I've got another Adams tip on the way so when the Black Ops gets here I can try it in the Fast12 LS as well. And the R11s I had intentions of buying was gone when I went to get it a few days ago. So that's out. Deal was too good and I should've bought it the day I saw it. R11s 10.5 with a Diamana Whiteboard for $275 and I could've gotten it a little cheaper than that cause I knew someone that worked there. I KNEW I should've went and got it, but I also said I was going to give my RBZ Tour a little longer in the bag to make sure.

As for me, I do go to the LM to check my numbers and I do keep a chart in my bag with these numbers. My numbers on a LM are done at sea level with no wind. I also keep the chart to keep myself honest when choosing a club. Generally, I will have these numbers in my head and I round them up or down (usually down) to a zero or a 5 for the last number so I can keep consistent gaps in my head for ease of club selection. That said, when playing a course that's new to me or one I haven't played a lot, I consult my chart a lot. Why? Because it's easier to look at it and determine what club to hit.

I'd recommend everyone that has time and is serious about improvement go and get on a LM and check distances with every club (I usually go averages of 25-30 balls per club with rest periods of 3-5 minutes between clubs when doing this). Then, create a chart with this using your average distance with each club. Don't use the max distance, as those are not consistent numbers to use, IMO, but use averages. I'd also throw out mishits and such so you get a true average. Then, that chart will keep you honest with yourself when selecting clubs.

Now if I just had more time to practice, maybe I could shrink my handicap down from a 7.3.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Mine is also bent to 51 Rookie - don't know if that's come from year's of throwing it or if I went to the club repair guy. ;)

Just kidding of course - I don't think I've ever thrown that club - that's probably why it's remained in the bag so long. :)

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Just kidding of course - I don't think I've ever thrown that club - that's probably why it's remained in the bag so long. :)

Slightly OT.... I've never thrown a club either, but after 4 or 5 putting a green once I pulled the ball out of the hole, tossed it in the air and hit it like my putter was a baseball bat. Apparently the glue was just loose/old enough to crack and I watched in horror as my putter head splashed into the lake some 30 feet out. Served me right, I suppose.

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

Slightly OT.... I've never thrown a club either, but after 4 or 5 putting a green once I pulled the ball out of the hole, tossed it in the air and hit it like my putter was a baseball bat. Apparently the glue was just loose/old enough to crack and I watched in horror as my putter head splashed into the lake some 30 feet out. Served me right, I suppose.

:lol:

All carry numbers at Spring temp. More in the summer, less in the fall and even less in the winter. Also all since my wife's been pregant, I haven't been working out and lost a good club or more in distance.

D: 243

16H: 223 (off the tee. Off the ground, lordie knows what's going to happen on any given attempt)

18.5H: 211

21H: 196

24H: 184

27i: 173

30i: 166

35i: 153

39i: 143

43i: 132

47W: 121

52W: 110

56W: 97

60W: 83

PP - 110 yards off the tee baby! Eat that gap wedge! :lol:

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

Yes, distance is very low on the priority list. I'm more worried about clubhead speed and launch angles. If I'm hitting the ball short given my clubhead speed and launch angles, then I start to focus on the why. As far as strategy goes, I want to know where my tee shots will wind up and how the hole plays more than if I'm keeping up with my 'distances.' Here's mine, on quality strikes with all things being 'standard.'

Driver: 290 yards

3-wood (off the tee): 255-270 yards

3-wood (off the deck): 245-255 yards

Hybrid: 240 yards

3-iron: 220 yards

4-iron: 208 yards

5-iron: 195 yards

6-iron: 180 yards

7-iron: 170 yards

8-iron: 159 yards

9-iron: 146 yards

PW: 135 yards

SW: 100 yards:

LW: 85 yards

3JACK

Author of Pro Golf Synopsis. The Moneyball approach to golf strategy and analysis.Driver: Wishon 919THI, 10° loft, UST Mamiya VTS Red 7x, 44-3/8” long, 2,825 kg/cm^2 MOIGONZO WOOD: confidential2-Hybrid: Mizuno Fli-HiCLK, 17° loft, 40-7/8" KBS Tour Hybrid shaft (stiff)3-Hybrid: Mizuno Fli-HiCLK, 20° loft, 40" KBS Tour Hybrid shaft (stiff)4-6 iron: Wishon 575MMC (CB)7-PW: Wishon 575MMC (MB)SW: Edel Golf driver grind, 52° loft, 16° bounce, Nippon WV 125 shaft.LW: Edel Golf Digger Grind, 60° loft, 27° bounce, Nippon WV 125 ShaftPutter: Edel Golf Columbia Custom Made, 35" long, 72° lie angle, 3° loft. Ball: Titleist Pro V1xGrips: PURE Grips P2 Wrap (red)Shoes: FootJoy Dry-Joy (black, size 14)3Jack's Golf Blog - http://3jack.blogspot.com

I'd love to have a couple of quotes here but it would get too long -

To BK I'd like to note that I wrote I've never thrown THAT club - not never thrown a club. The best thing that ever happened to me was the rising price of golf equipment - once woods (metal) got to be $75 I stopped throwing them because I couldn't afford it. I suppose some maturing and the realization that I was about to go to seminary had something to do with it as well.

Loved your story - I once flipped a putter at my bag after a 3 jack, it bounced off the bag down a hill into a place marked, "Caution, quick sand." Didn't bother to try and get it.

JP I've burst so many bubbles and not on dogleg holes. It happens when you set the GPS to measure your drive which is past or very close to the other players drive and call out - ah a nice one 245 - suddenly their 280 is actually somewhere between 235 and 250 - the real distance they hit the ball.

I do agree that most people do not do it intentionally - Here's three ways that people very commonly over estimate the distance they hit the ball.

1. The dogleg as described earlier

2. Going by the card - the tee is up or the card has over estimated the distance of the hole so that the course can advertise a certain yardage and the unsuspecting golfer thinks he's hit it 20 yards longer than he has.

3. Assumption - I hit driver it must have gone 260.

Intentional or not it's not so much the driver that hurts but rather the overestimation of iron distance and or approach shot expectation level that get lots of golfers into trouble - Here's how -

Joe 16 handicapper thinks he hits his 3 wood 240 - he really hits it 210 - he also expects to hit the green from 240 when there is little chance he could hit it with a driver tee'd up - still he hits 3 wood expecting to get home - there's water short right (where he'll probably end up) but he never considers that he will hit it there.

The next thing you know - he's dropping and he can't understand why. Less extreme with irons but leads to lots of balls in the front trap rather than on the green when an 8 iron is hit from 150 rather than the 6 or 7 that should be.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I played in the Beer Can Open (weekly Wednesday night scramble). I was the short knocker on my team, but I was the designated putter. The three guys on my team bombed the ball, seriously bombed the ball. However, they all apparently swing every club as hard as they can and take the high number for their average. All three of these guys almost always scramble when they play, I rarely scramble because it screws with my normal game plan. But once every week or so it is fun.

On one par 5 that I occasionally reach the 200 marker but am usually 220-230 out and usually lay up to 85-100 yards, 485 uphill. Since I was the shortest, but straightest hitter in the group, we decided that I would always hit first and play my regular shot so at worst we are in the fairway. I would put one in play and they could swing away. So on this hole I was in the fairway 220 out and one of the guys hits it to 155 but in the rough. Well, 155 from the rough is better than 220 so I hit. Because it was up hill and out of the rough I decided to hit a six iron. I did not think I could stop it near the hole but we would have a putt. I hit the green and rolled way past the hole, 30 feet. Meanwhile, they are all engaged in the discussion of a 9 iron or hard wedge. None of them came within 40 yards of the green.

It was like that the entire 9 holes, except that occasionally one of them would hit the club the distance they thought they could, and one time one of the guys actually hit it the direction and the distance he wanted. But they drove the heck out of the ball, and we only hit full irons when we used my ball because they all went OB, which happened twice.

However, we did shoot 9 under, and was in three way tie, tied the first playoff hole and lost the next when one guy chipped in.

This is one for another thread but I often wonder about it in scrambles - most of us, in fact very, very few of us hit part shots as well as full shots - I think that there are lots of times in scrambles when we'd be better off playing full shots into the green.

The best scramble team I've ever played on had no one who could hit it more than 250. We played together twice won both times - 15 under and 13 under, a 15, a 10, a 9 and myself - we just meshed and the 9 was the biggest sandbagger (he was a 9 who could take a 4 almost any day of the week.)

Of course I love playing with my son who hits it 320 - it's really nice to have that opportunity to reach about any green, from anywhere, anytime - but the kid can't play worth a lick - doesn't matter - it's fun to watch him hit a driver or anything for that matter - much more like the stuff you see in Vegas at the long driving contest than at a tour event -

In Wisconsin he would always hit it over 350, always.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Mine is also bent to 51 Rookie - don't know if that's come from year's of throwing it or if I went to the club repair guy. ;)

The original Eye 2 Pitching Wedge was 51.5* so I never felt the need to bend it. My original Eye 2 SW is 57.5*. I maintain much the same performance on my newer sets by carrying a 52* and a 58* as my wedge set. I tried dealing with a 56* but my tempo got too quick for my short game and I found the 58* more comfortable. I adjust to the other clubs.

Shambles

Mine was 50 - I bought those irons the second year of production - I'd have to go to the Ping website to see what the spec was that year - but regardless at that time quality control wasn't what it is today so it was not uncommon to see some variation plus lets face it - those clubs are nearly 30 years old - it's not surprising that some of their lofts might have changed a bit over the years.

I had it bent to 51 from 49.5 at the start of last season so that my regular swing would go 100 - I like to have a club that's stock distance is 100 another that's 150 and another that's 200 - don't know why I just do - seems it makes it easier for me to plan things out.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Mine was 50 - I bought those irons the second year of production - I'd have to go to the Ping website to see what the spec was that year - but regardless at that time quality control wasn't what it is today so it was not uncommon to see some variation plus lets face it - those clubs are nearly 30 years old - it's not surprising that some of their lofts might have changed a bit over the years.

I had it bent to 51 from 49.5 at the start of last season so that my regular swing would go 100 - I like to have a club that's stock distance is 100 another that's 150 and another that's 200 - don't know why I just do - seems it makes it easier for me to plan things out.

I must admit that I bent mine from black to blue. I had shaky ideas back then and not a lot of reliable information available in the days before internet. There was also the excitement of discovering someone with a bending machine. :lol: Something could have happened in the course of that learning.

Shambles

Since the conversation has come around to wedges I will continue it. Four several years I used the Pelz 4 wedge and clock system. I have spent the last 9 months getting rid of my early release and have made major strides, however this has killed my pitching game. Irons and chipping, putting, driving are all so much better but the 70 yards to 20 yard range pitches has really gone down. I have avoided them and that helps but you can not avoid it all the time.

My problem is that the 1/2, 3/4, full gap wedge shot that used to go 60, 85, and 95 yards now 75, 100, and 120. The thing is I am making center face pure contact. So bottom line my pitching has sucked.

The past couple of weeks I have tried a new approach to piching. I now use the 56 sand wedge for all shots inside 100 yards, unless I have no green to work with

and I will use the 64. I am planning to get a Mizuno MP T11 or maybe the Callaway Copper wedge but right now I have been using a Ben Hogan forged 56/12. It is amazing how close you can get with just one club and varying the swing. I have been a Vokey fan for years but honestly, they do not feel as good as the Hogan forged.

I have taken one of the wedges out of the bag, the 60 but I rarely even use the 64. I have not missed it at all. I am also considering getting a 58 and using it for everything. I could then add another longer club but who knows. I do not hit fairway metals well, and always figured more wedges were better. Maybe I will carry two putters.:P That way I can throw one in the lake.

When I got mine, it was at 48.25 degrees. I had it bent to 51 (well, I say bent, it was hammered into place). I've checked it 4 times and it's still at 51.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

When I got mine, it was at 48.25 degrees. I had it bent to 51 (well, I say bent, it was hammered into place). I've checked it 4 times and it's still at 51.

This is all surprising news to me. I was aware that Ping made an assortment of lofts for their sand wedge, and different grinds, but was not aware that the pitching wedge also came with an assortment of lofts.

Shambles

I just went to the Ping website and the official loft of the Eye 2 W was 50.7. However tolerances were all over the place when these clubs were produced - it was not at all uncommon for them to vary by a degree either way or to be mismarked - could be that Rookie's W was really supposed to be a 9.

Ping has the specs for all the clubs that it has ever produced on its website if anyone is interested. Check out the loft and shaft length distance between clubs made in the 80's and today.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Archived