Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Quick Review: Top Flite Gamer

Matt Saternus

For those of you that like brevity, here's the short version: In. The. Bag.

I will elaborate:

I picked up a box of these with some Golfsmith store credit because I had heard some positive things about them on the forums. I thought that at worst it would be a ball to hit off the tee when my driver is spraying it. What I have found, instead, is my new gamer. I played the gamer for 18 holes today at Oyster Bay, here's what I found:

Off the tee

This ball made me ask myself, "Why have you been playing high compression balls for all this time?" My swingspeed is around the 100MPH mark (at least last time I checked), and this ball feels like it absolutely explodes off the face. With a ProV1X (my preferred ball prior to this), I hit my drives 230-250, with more ending up on the short end of that range. Today, which admittedly was a good driving day, I did not hit a drive less than 250, with many more in the 260-275 range. I also found the ball to be pretty straight, though, again, I was swinging the driver pretty well.

Irons

This is an area where I don't really find a great difference between balls. The distance was exactly what I expected, and well struck balls stopped on the green as I'd like them too.

Wedges & Around the Green

This is where the ball really surprised me. The first approach shot I hit today was a full wedge, and after yesterday's experience with the E6+, I was expecting to be disappointed. I struck the shot well, the ball flew the right distance, hit the green & stopped dead. Nice. What's even better is that the ball doesn't get totally destroyed by a full wedge. With my Vokey's, full shots left a mark but it was not deep or big enough to merit taking the ball out of play. Around the green, the ball performed very nicely. It gives a nice feel on chips and pitches and gives a nice amount of spin. The only shot that I did not get to hit was my half wedge, but based on everything else I saw, I have confidence that this ball would behave the way I like on that shot as well.

Putting

Very nice feedback on the putter - not as soft as a ProV, but not hard by any means.

Overall

Over the next couple of days I will give a couple other balls a run (TM Burner TP and TM TP Black), but I have a very strong feeling that this is going to be my ball for a long while. Dad and I stopped at a PGA Superstore after the round and saw that there's a Gamer V2 out now, and the old Gamer is now being sold at $13/dozen. If the testing proceeds as expected, I will be buying grosses of these and not worrying about balls for a couple years. Overall, this is a great ball - not a great ball for the money, just a great ball.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • SPY VIP

Wow, great price on the RX...have you tried the Gamer? Any thoughts about comparing the two?

Almost bought a box 5 min ago. That is why I checked prices. 6 doz balls in the garage laughed at me though, so I passed.

Would like to try it though. But right now, I've got a lot of balls.

Surprising that it spun so much better than the e6+

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Almost bought a box 5 min ago. That is why I checked prices. 6 doz balls in the garage laughed at me though, so I passed.

Would like to try it though. But right now, I've got a lot of balls.

Surprising that it spun so much better than the e6+

It definitely did. I think people overlook that it's a 3 piece ball. The cover isn't urethane, just "soft" (according to the box), but it works.

What really surprised me was how much longer it was than the E6+. I didn't notice any kind of distance gain yesterday like I did today, and I swung the driver equally well yesterday.

• SPY VIP

It definitely did. I think people overlook that it's a 3 piece ball. The cover isn't urethane, just "soft" (according to the box), but it works.

What really surprised me was how much longer it was than the E6+. I didn't notice any kind of distance gain yesterday like I did today, and I swung the driver equally well yesterday.

Alright I will look around for some on discount and make it 7 boxes to get through...

Volvo Intorqueo

I wonder why they just don't make a urethane version. It can't be that hard to do. Maybe Callaway is just worried they will infringe on their market.

I wonder why they just don't make a urethane version. It can't be that hard to do. Maybe Callaway is just worried they will infringe on their market.

I think its smart that they stay out of the tour ball category. They tried that earlier in the decade with the 4-piece Strata line and it didn't go well. It isn't their niche and Callway has that covered. They are not going to win going head to head with Titleist with the Top Flite brand.

No, what they are doing is smart. Own the bottom and top end of the bargain ball segment.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

Another great review Matt. I've never tried the Gamer, but I did play the D2 Feel for a while after it was first released and I was pleasantly surprised by that ball. Excellent value for the money. In the end, I went to the NXT Tour for more spin but the D2 was great for what it is.

After reading your review, I'm going to start looking for some of those $13 boxes of Gamers now that the V2 has come out. They could be my water/ravine/tight fairway ball. :)

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

I have hears this about the Gamer from more than one customer. I like the companion ball the Freak".. "What ball is good for me?" "well sir, how about the FREAK!!!!" :(

I should give these a spin... can i get them in yellow??

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

A little acrylic paint and some Q-tips and you're good to go! :)

I bet it will not be the same.... I'll call the rep.

Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

• SPY VIP

Thanks for the review! I don't know if anyone here has ever tried the D2 Feel as well, and I'm curious how the Gamer and D2 Feel compare against each other.

I think Blaine had played both. I really liked the Feel in the tee and irons part, but not as much off the putter.

I even scored 10 boxes of them last year when target closed them out at $4. But sold them on craigslist.

Volvo Intorqueo

Thanks for the review! I don't know if anyone here has ever tried the D2 Feel as well, and I'm curious how the Gamer and D2 Feel compare against each other.

I have tried the D2 feel actually. The feel between the 2 is about the same, but for me the Gamer has more spin and a little less distance. The Gamer also didn't have the clicking sound off of the putter. Basically what you would expect to be the differences between the 2 balls.

I bet it will not be the same.... I'll call the rep.

Yeah, your club will end up with more paint on it than the ball.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

I think Blaine had played both. I really liked the Feel in the tee and irons part, but not as much off the putter.

I even scored 10 boxes of them last year when target closed them out at $4. But sold them on craigslist.

Unfortunately, I haven't played the Gamer. But my experience with the Feel is the same as yours. A softer distance ball with a bit more spin. Good value but definitely not top shelf. I'd imagine the Gamer is a step above the D2: Here is last year's DG Ball Test:

TOP-FLITE GAMER

PRICE: $20/dozen

CONSTRUCTION: Three-piece: core, mantle layer and ionomer cover

TECH STORY: The dimple-in-dimple pattern catches your eye, but the real technology is the multilayer construction: a thin cover for greenside feel and spin, a firm mantle to decrease driver spin.

VERDICT: Sophisticated in its technology, Gamer achieves more performance per dollar than any ball in golf.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Another great review Matt. I've never tried the Gamer, but I did play the D2 Feel for a while after it was first released and I was pleasantly surprised by that ball. Excellent value for the money. In the end, I went to the NXT Tour for more spin but the D2 was great for what it is.

After reading your review, I'm going to start looking for some of those $13 boxes of Gamers now that the V2 has come out. They could be my water/ravine/tight fairway ball. :)

Thanks. I'll be interested to see how I feel about the gamer after 2 rounds with "premium" balls the next two days.

I have hears this about the Gamer from more than one customer. I like the companion ball the Freak".. "What ball is good for me?" "well sir, how about the FREAK!!!!" :D

I should give these a spin... can i get them in yellow??

Nic, I'm a little confused, are you saying that you like the Freak or that your customers like the Freak? Or neither? I did see these at the store, but was told they're being discontinued. Same price as the Gamers where I looked.

Isn't the Freak just their distance ball? Plenty of those on the market....

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

• SPY VIP

Isn't the Freak just their distance ball? Plenty of those on the market....

Yep. Hardest golf ball I've hit. I have a couple for the long drive hole in the charity events though because they do fly.

Don't expect it to hold onto the short grass though.

Hitting the face of your putter into the yard marker will feel about the same too

Volvo Intorqueo

Yep. Hardest golf ball I've hit. I have a couple for the long drive hole in the charity events though because they do fly.

Don't expect it to hold onto the short grass though.

Hitting the face of your putter into the yard marker will feel about the same too

Alrighty then. Going back to their "Rock Flite" roots...

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

• SPY VIP

Alrighty then. Going back to their "Rock Flite" roots...

I've got an extra 2 pack I can send you if you want to go at it. Not my fault if you get a driver face that can hold water afterwords though.

Fun to watch your buddies hit them in the cold though. Stings a little :)

Volvo Intorqueo

Nic, I'm a little confused, are you saying that you like the Freak or that your customers like the Freak? Or neither? I did see these at the store, but was told they're being discontinued. Same price as the Gamers where I looked.

Just a little golf shop humor.

Go easy on Matt, he is still behind on sleep...

Fingers hurt a little as well??? all for a good cause..

Does anyone know if these sell well? I would assume they have a bad reputation because they are Top Flites, but a lot of people like them and they are cheap.

They must have sold pretty well, since Top Flite now has the Gamer V2 out. I just hope they didn't sell well at my local shops so that I can buy up all the old ones.

Archived