TESTERS WANTED! ×

Quick Review: Top Flite Gamer

Matt Saternus

I can imagine its pretty humbling for some people. On average, how many people ignore the optimizer and tell you they still need something in XXX stiff and the machine doesn't know crap?

Most will believe the optimizer because they believe what a "computer" will tell them...... this is because i am able to print them what they need.... so naturally, they get a piece of paper to take home with them, therefore they get excited.

"Hey Ace... You got any more of that gum?" "That's none of your damn business and I'll thank you for staying out of my personal affairs." - Ace Ventura Pet Detective

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello all, first post here.

Last week I found a Gamer on the 17th hole, so I decided to put it in play on 18. I bombed a drive down the center of the fairway, then hit a full SW from 110 out; the ball landed 10' behind the pin, then spun back into the hole for and EAGLE. I stuck around and hit a few chips and putts with the ball and I was thoroughly impressed with it's feel and spin. I love my Callaway Tour ix balls, but I bought a sleeve of Gamer V2, so I can compare them next time out.

The V2 Gamer made a gold rating in the under 20 a dozen category in this month's Golf Digest.

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

I bought a sleeve of the V2's at Walmart last week, and loved them... Went out and bought another dozen. I'm skipping work tomorrow and playing a quick 9 in between dropping off and picking up my son from pre-k, so I'll see how they feel for a full 9. So far I like what I've seen...

My Bag:
Driver - 
:cobra-small:  King F6+

3 Wood -  :callaway-small: XR16
Hybrids -  :srixon-small:  ZH45
Irons -  :mizuno-small:  JPX 850 Pro

Wedges -  :callaway-small: Mac Daddy 2
Putter -   :taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red
Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

They have a deal going, 19.99 and a bonus 3 packs of balls attached. So you get 15 instead of 12 for the same price.

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

I can report that Matt is a witch with the wedges around the green. The cheap ball he was playing didn't seem to hurt that phase of his game at all.

Putting... well... we won't talk about that. Lets just say that neither one of us we're doing proud by our Byrons. :D

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

I can report that Matt is a witch with the wedges around the green. The cheap ball he was playing didn't seem to hurt that phase of his game at all.

Putting... well... we won't talk about that. Lets just say that neither one of us we're doing proud by our Byrons. :D

Sooooo.... Winner?

Sooooo.... Winner?

Took him by 3 strokes although I'll give him style points for rolling out the ever reliable and almost always effective "you're older than I thought you were" smack....

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Took him by 3 strokes although I'll give him style points for rolling out the ever reliable and almost always effective "you're older than I thought you were" smack....

That wasn't smack, that was meant as a compliment. Smack talk would be something like, "I didn't hit the center of my driver all day, but it never stopped me from out driving you."

As far as the ball goes, I still love it. It's long and it spins around the greens. What more do you want?

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

That wasn't smack, that was meant as a compliment. Smack talk would be something like, "I didn't hit the center of my driver all day, but it never stopped me from out driving you."

Yeah, OK. LOL. :)

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

• 2 weeks later...

I tend to be a bit of a ball snob, so I did not even bother to try it. I got a rewards card at Northway 8 for $20, and since I had nothing I needed at the time, I picked up the Gamer. Damned if it is not 98% of a ProV for less than half the price. I'm sold.

Another convert! Hallelujah!

It's funny how damning the name "Top Flite" is to some people. I played with two really nice guys in Myrtle who picked up some lost Top Flites and just tossed them right at me saying, "I wouldn't play these." I didn't say anything, but I was thinking, "Guys, I'm playing a Top Flite and whipping your @$$." :D

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

I hate to sound like advertising... but TGW has the V2s for $17.95 for 12 with free sleeve of 3, so 15 for that price. :D

•Never argue with an idiot. First, he will drag you down to his level. Then he will beat you with experience!•

I hate to sound like advertising... but TGW has the V2s for $17.95 for 12 with free sleeve of 3, so 15 for that price. :D

Cool, I just ordered a some... plus I got a free 6 month subscription to GOLF magazine...

My Bag:
Driver - 
:cobra-small:  King F6+

3 Wood -  :callaway-small: XR16
Hybrids -  :srixon-small:  ZH45
Irons -  :mizuno-small:  JPX 850 Pro

Wedges -  :callaway-small: Mac Daddy 2
Putter -   :taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red
Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

Archived