Testers Announced! Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Drivers and Autoflex Dream 7 Shafts! ×

2012 Epon Personal Forged Irons

GolfSpy_X

:

WOW! Beautiful does not justify the looks of these irons!

Unfortunately, Epon has always been out of my price range....

Unless, of course, you need a 7 handicapper to demo them for you...!

TK

Driver: Ping G400 MAX with PING Alta CB 55 Stiff

Fairway: Callaway Epic 15* with Fujikura Speeder 565

Hybrid: RocketBallz 19* Hybrid with Stock Shaft

Irons: JDM Titleist VG3 irons w/ Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 Shafts 

Wedges: Ping Glide 50*/54*/58*

Putter: Scotty GoLo Pro with Midsize Matador Grip

Ball: Srixon Z Star

Shoes: Nike Air Zoom Accurate

Bag: Sun Mountain MPB

The look of excess bulk might be just an effect of the photo. I hear they play well but the chrome is uncomfortably shiny. Sort of a reprise of the 50's and 60's chrome. I really have no direct experience with the club but am hoping for a good look see if luck comes to me.

The look of the club just tells me it should be relatively easy to get the ball up in the air with a lower center of gravity. Of course I won't have any real idea until some pictures of the leading edge and the flange come out, or I get a direct look/see.

Shambles

I know I'm in the minority, and I know that Epon makes some amazing clubs, however, IMHO, these are some ugly-assed irons...Look at the back of this irons...Seriously, if ya had any more metal back there, you'd have to register it as a deadly weapon......

I betcha if you bend the 7i to say 32-33*, you could hit it 190-195 yds....Hell, you could sell these to baseball & softball players and they could double as bats....

Please, this is the result of a design engineer on crack & only a company with the arrogance of Epon would put these out and charge what, $1400+?....These aren't irons, they're garbage...I'd expect something like this from TMaG, and never, ever would you get anything remotely like this from Mizuno....

Fairways & Greens 4ever.......

I'm hoping Shambles is right, because my first impression is to agree with this. They are horrible looking. And where are the glowing blue dots??

Honestly, I love the unique look. I'm not exactly sure it's the best engineered iron design I've ever seen but it checks all the boxes for me. Clean, yet funky? Bingo.

That being said the price listed at the bottom says 200,000 Yuan. By my count that translates into $31,776 in US funds

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

I was going to say Epon makes some nice clubs, I'm not so sure about these.... I play blades and I'm a little confused as to what all the extra metal in the back. Now I would hit them to compare them to my gamers but doubt very highly they could throw my Cobra mb's out of the bag! also it's really hard to give an honest opinion on anything golf related unless I hit it and if it performs!

The Bag:

Right handed

Cobra King FLYZ+ 10.5* w/ Aldila Rogue 125 R 44.5"

Tour Issued TM M2 10.5 w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Pro Blue 60S

Tour Issued TM M2 15* w/ GD Tour AD 7S 43"

TM R7 17.5 HFS w/ Tour AD 7S Stiff 42"

Cobra S3 Pro's 4-pw w/ Aldila RIP Tours SLT 115 Reg. 5i 38.5"

Titleist Vokey Proto's

52*,54*,58* all TTDG S-400

TM TP5 X

Scotty Cameron SSS Tiffany 009 350 34.5" or Bettinardi BB1 DASS Proto

GHIN # 5144472

WD, I was probably overly-harsh, though I just expect more from Epon, especially for the money they ask..If it was TMaG, Well, like I said, I just never expected something like these from Epon, and Jesus, like Tuna pointed out, $31K+!!!....Oh man!.....

Fairways & Greens 4ever......

I doubt it's as expensive as that estimated 31K, though it is an expensive set. Over at TSG they mentioned that the set would cost about $ 2500 and that too is a fairly hefty price to pay for any clubs. There is a poster named Spoon who personally modified his set to satinize it and did a very nice job of it too, judging by the pictures he posted.

Shambles

Honestly, I love the unique look. I'm not exactly sure it's the best engineered iron design I've ever seen but it checks all the boxes for me. Clean, yet funky? Bingo.

That being said the price listed at the bottom says 200,000 Yuan. By my count that translates into $31,776 in US funds

I think that is the symbol for Yen and not Yuan. 200,000 yen is slightly upwards of $2,000.

I agree very busy looking for a muscleback blade. I guess they are trying to engineer a more forgiving blade by manipulating the muscleback. Purists that are great ballstrikers won't like it, mediocre ballstrikers who want to play a blade I guess is the traget market for these.

I have never given a crap at the looks of the back of an iron, just like I could care less about what the bottom of the driver, fairway, hybrid looks like. I don't know about the rest of you but I don't see the bottom of my driver, fairway, hybrid clubs at address just like I don't see the back of a blade / iron at address unless it is super big and bulky. If I can see any part of the design on the back of the club it probably has too GI like design for my liking. It comes down to what it looks like at address for me and how it feels and preforms. As long as a design doesn't effect my confidence in the club the thing can look however it wants to. I have always hated the white crown on the TM clubs, it is annoying and effects my play.

With this iron it does have a unique look on the back of it, I an not a big fan of sharp lines and triangles on the back of the clubs. The top line looks a little thick or sharp for what I like, I tend to like a thing top line profile in a iron, that is the one thing that I do care about in terms of looks is the top line on the iron, thick and bulky is a no go for me i like a thinner profile for a top line.

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

Regarding JM's comments about the look at address, though you cannot tell by the third picture, who's view is downward, because the picture is not taken from a true address position...I just assumed that the metal on the back of the iron would be visible at address, because "pocket" cavity-backs that I have hit, which much smaller rear profiles, have the pocket visible....

And while I say that I don't care what a club looks like as long as I can hit it, well, that's not really true...I like a "classic" look to my clubs...I'm not looking to be a trend setter...

Fairways & Greens 4ever.....

Well I think it depends on the head position at address, matched with the sole width and loft amount as to what you might see sticking out of the backside of the club. This picture was taken of my 3 and 4i sitting side by side from what I might see at address looking straight down the shaft.

Where the back of it might look completely different, so really even on long irons of a blade I can't actually see the back of the club personally.

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

I think I have some old MacGregor's in the garage that look like these, I will sell you for half the price of these Epons.:P I will even reshaft them to your spec's.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

• 3 months later...

I have never given a crap at the looks of the back of an iron, just like I could care less about what the bottom of the driver, fairway, hybrid looks like. I don't know about the rest of you but I don't see the bottom of my driver, fairway, hybrid clubs at address just like I don't see the back of a blade / iron at address unless it is super big and bulky. If I can see any part of the design on the back of the club it probably has too GI like design for my liking. It comes down to what it looks like at address for me and how it feels and preforms. As long as a design doesn't effect my confidence in the club the thing can look however it wants to. I have always hated the white crown on the TM clubs, it is annoying and effects my play.

With this iron it does have a unique look on the back of it, I an not a big fan of sharp lines and triangles on the back of the clubs. The top line looks a little thick or sharp for what I like, I tend to like a thing top line profile in a iron, that is the one thing that I do care about in terms of looks is the top line on the iron, thick and bulky is a no go for me i like a thinner profile for a top line.

I agree with you about the back of the irons can't see it doesn't matter' on the TM white they are a copy of a Cobra driver that Ian Polter played still don't like the white just looks wrong still hit my Adams farther than most 12's in my group. Red

hit their TM's.

Adams F11 driver voodoo shaft

Adams F11 3 wood voodoo

Cleveland 3 and 4 hybrids dst,s

Ben Hogan Apex Edge Forgedvarious putters Adams 62, Voit tornado like a bulls eye , nevercompramise sub 30 - 50

Precept Balls or titleist or any good ball I find

First thought that popped into my head was of the Hogan Apex blades with the layering on the back of the blade.

image.jpg

Ping G410 Plus Oban Kiyoshi Tour Limited
Ping G410 LST 3 Wood Oban Tour Prototype V430
Titleist U500 3 & 4 Oban Kiyoshi Purple Tour Reserve
Titleist 620 MB 5-9 Oban CT 125
Titleist Vokey 47* Oban CT 125, 51*, 55*, and 59* Shimada Tour Wedge Black
Bettinardi Studio Stock SS28

Archived